What dps meter best ? what ir more "safe" ? suggestion state at 2019 year

So how I understand ArcDps is have strange state - no one can say that this is legal no one can't say opposite opinion too. But that I know ArcDps is not overlay mode compatible, and still we not have solid answer from anet I don't like use that tool.Time to time I try search new tool and info about dps meters. And I find jaxnXI put some text from that they say:<<<What makes jaxnX legaljaxnX does not offend the Terms of Service of Guild Wars 2. It does not read from game memory.Instead it uses Computer Vision techniques to read out numbers presented in the combat log by taking screenshots of the chat block periodically, converting pixels of the image into numbers and using the converted numbers for dmg / dps calculation.http://www.gw2dmg-meter.de/<<<Any comments, news, "why and where" is welcome

I used jaxnX in the past and it's not very good. The main problem with it is you need to have your combat tab open when playing, meaning you cannot use your chat. No chat with team members is a terrible idea, I guess it can work in pugs where you don't care what anyone says. Further, you need to make your chat panel larger to get proper results, which will obscure more of your playing field. Moreover it offers a very small amount of information compared to a proper damage meter. There is no boon/buff up-time information, no rotation information, no map information, or anything related to defeat, downed, dead, revived. Finally it doesn't offer team stats which means it's not useful for team building, or identifying composition issues.

@"lare.5129" said:So how I understand ArcDps is have strange state - no one can say that this is legal no one can't say opposite opinion too. But that I know ArcDps is not overlay mode compatible, and still we not have solid answer from anet I don't like use that tool.

We do have a pretty solid answer tho.https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/5svug8/the_head_of_the_snake_devs_here_ask_us_anything/ddi7kta/

and

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/66m13h/anet_this_really_should_be_part_of_the_game/dgjwapj/

Theres also the one case where he said he would only ban the developer of BGDM and not the Users. Cant find that comment though.You´re fine using arcdps.

@lare.5129 said:

@"RaidsAreEasyAF.8652" said:We do have a pretty solid answer tho.I see only sum of 1700+ answers. May be you can gibe us direct link to that anet dev solid answer?

He already linked directly the relevant comment. It's the first comment, slightly highlighted with a different background colour.

1st:

We have no problems with players using a 3rd party tool whose scope is only to collect and visualize combat data gathered directly from the game client. Anything beyond that scope is still considered a violation of the User Agreement.

2nd:

Good questions here, but nothing I haven't already answered. I'll go ahead and rebump previous info given out here.ArenaNet authorizes the use and development of 3rd Party tools under the banner of a "DPS Meter". "DPS Meters" is defined as the collection and processing of combat related data in order to develop a statistical and visual representation of that data. This combat data maybe collected from anyone inside of your immediate social group. Social groups are defined as including the player character, and current party and/or squad.Combat data does not include current entity status, including current Buffs/Debuffs/Health/Stats/Location or any other data that is not generated due to the usage of skills or impact on player characters due to skill usage (by the PC/s or an outside source).The collection and processing of data in the client must be limited to the scope of the "DPS meter" and should not exceed it. Visualization of this data must also limited to the scope of the "DPS Meter" which includes visualizations, logging, and processing/visualization of logging.

@"lare.5129" said:So how I understand ArcDps is have strange state - no one can say that this is legal no one can't say opposite opinion too. But that I know ArcDps is not overlay mode compatible, and still we not have solid answer from anet I don't like use that tool.

ArcDPS is not in a strange state: it's exactly in the state that all 3rd party apps will ever be in.

• All such programs are "use at your own risk."
  • You have to follow the rules of the game, regardless of whether you do or don't use such tools.

As noted above, ANet has specifically said that measuring DPS (and a host of other combat data) is fine.

The front page for JaxnX says

Legal Guild Wars 2 Damage MeterThere is no such thing. ANet doesn't offer any official approval of any app, so the most any developer can say is that they've done their best to conform to the rules. In other words, we can often know what makes an unacceptable app; we can't ever say that an app is "legal" in any technical sense.

I am always skeptical of coders that make claims on behalf of some other person or entity.

Final note: the last "commit" to the project was over three years ago (a few months after HoT launched). That certainly matters less for an app that reads the combat log. It's hard to imagine that it doesn't matter at all. (PS the evaluation by Wooden Potatoes was also over three years ago, a few months after the app's last release.) There are no Google results for any mention of this app in the last year.

@"Myriada.7580" said:He already linked directly the relevant comment. It's the first comment, slightly highlighted with a different background colour.I was see that, but keep in mind that reddit is not trust resource, and someone whit post is highlighted is delete his acc ))we see "[deleted] 144 points ". So I see comment untrustable person on untrustable site. Not my choose.But anyway how I see from comment the arcdps is only one solution to understand that gone is pug raid.

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

• All such programs are "use at your own risk."about what risk was written ?I don't like if I install arcdps, and after some time will get perm ban acc for unknown reasons.From all history messaging we still not have something like "you can use it, if something will be not good we inform your" .. ?

@lare.5129 said:

@"Myriada.7580" said:He already linked directly the relevant comment. It's the first comment, slightly highlighted with a different background colour.I was see that, but keep in mind that reddit is not trust resource, and someone whit post is highlighted is delete his acc ))we see "[deleted] 144 points ". So I see comment untrustable person on untrustable site. Not my choose.But anyway how I see from comment the arcdps is only one solution to understand that gone is pug raid.

All Arenanet employees that comment on the GW2 subreddit use accounts marked with the Arenanet logo, they're very easy to recognize. They also get massively upvoted to give them more visibility as it's a statement from the company itself. If you still don't trust reddit users to upvote posts from actual devs in a dev AMA post, you can have a look at who exactly posted it using WayBackMachine.

1st: https://web.archive.org/web/20170915124952/https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/5svug8/the_head_of_the_snake_devs_here_ask_us_anything/ddi7kta/

2nd: https://web.archive.org/web/20170915043306/https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/66m13h/anet_this_really_should_be_part_of_the_game/dgjwapj/

Chris Cleary left the company* during January's layoffs, which is probably why Anet decided to delete the account.

So rest assured, the statement is from a trustworthy source and thus ArcDps is perfectly safe to use :)

EDIT: I got mixed up who left and who stayed in the company during the layoffs. Chris didn't leave Anet, my bad. I'm not entirely sure why the account got deleted, then.

i don't know but i laughed at the description of that dps meter. idk if it's ridiculous or something innovative. must be in the middle.

it's like frame by frame OCR. and the lacking feature is to read others' numbers. that's what i understood from the description.

but idk, probably it can read other's numbers by monitoring the movements of the other players and the decreasing bar of the enemy hp per other player(s) hits.

@Schimmi.6872 said:

Chris Cleary left the company during January's layoffs, which is probably why Anet decided to delete the account.

He hasn't left, just switched from game security to another team (bonus events etc.). But he deleted his reddit-account some time ago.

Ah, I got some people mixed up. I've edited my comment. Thanks for the heads up.

@lare.5129 said:

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:
  • All such programs are "use at your own risk."about what risk was written ?"use at your own risk" means exactly that: it's up to you to resolve technical issues or if you lose any items due to any 3rd party software

I don't like if I install arcdps, and after some time will get perm ban acc for unknown reasons.No; that's never happened.We have the example of a competing DPS meter, which went astray as its developer kept adding features that ANet said weren't okay.
None
of its users suffered for this; only the app's programmer was banned

From all history messaging we still not have something like "you can use it, if something will be not good we inform your" .. ?And we never will.

ANet can't be responsible for vetting someone else's software. They can't put out a blanket statement say "exactly this is ok; exactly that is not," because people will use such statements to find loopholes.

@crepuscular.9047 said:in general, it seems Anet is fine for addons that read from the memory, which is what ArcDPS does

however, attempt to alter memory values, code injection into network communication packages, botting are no nos.

That is only partially true.

The specific memory read out Arenanet is fine with is directly related to combat information or other accessible data. Reading out other players gear or inventory for example, is not allowed.

An easy summary would be:

• if the add-on uses visible available information (for example combat log data) and reorganizes this information for an easier overview, then the developers are currently fine with it
  • if the add-on gathers not visible information (other people's gear, inventory, traits, etc.) and makes this information visible to the user, then you are currently in violation
  • any type of memory information altering is not allowed

Arcdps is so far compliant, BGDM was not and was sanctioned. As to jaxnX, yeah it was bad 3 years ago and it's not that useful now.

@Cyninja.2954 said:

@crepuscular.9047 said:in general, it seems Anet is fine for addons that read from the memory, which is what ArcDPS does

however, attempt to alter memory values, code injection into network communication packages, botting are no nos.

That is only partially true.

The specific memory read out Arenanet is fine with is directly related to combat information or other accessible data. Reading out other players gear or inventory for example, is not allowed.

An easy summary would be:
  • if the add-on uses
    visible available information
    (for example combat log data) and reorganizes this information for an easier overview, then the developers are currently
    fine
    with it
  • if the add-on gathers
    not visible information
    (other people's gear, inventory, traits, etc.) and makes this information visible to the user, then you are currently in
    violation
  • any type of memory information altering is not allowed

Arcdps is so far compliant, BGDM was not and was sanctioned. As to jaxnX, yeah it was bad 3 years ago and it's not that useful now.

i dont think it's other player's gears and inventory is loaded into memory, it would be too much things in memory; only your own are loaded into the memory, thus enable Arc's build template to work

but i could imagine someon building an addon that hooks onto GW2's API to fetch the data, but obviously, you will need to know what the other person's API authorisation key is... I'm not sure if Efficiency stores those data on their server or not, if it does, i guess it can do data fetch from Efficiency instead

@"crepuscular.9047" said:i dont think it's other player's gears and inventory is loaded into memory, it would be too much things in memory; only your own are loaded into the memory, thus enable Arc's build template to work

Gear of other players that is "visible" like armor and weapons is stored in the client's memory. Otherwise your client wouldn't know which items to show to you.Trinkets should also be loaded in all client's memory since we have Aurora and Vision and clients need to know if they exist to show the particle effects.The rest of the inventory should be mostly invisible to other clients.

@"Myriada.7580" said:2nd:

...Combat data does not include current entity status, including current Buffs/Debuffs/Health/Stats/Location or any other data that is not generated due to the usage of skills or impact on player characters due to skill usage (by the PC/s or an outside source).The collection and processing of data in the client must be limited to the scope of the "DPS meter" and should not exceed it. Visualization of this data must also limited to the scope of the "DPS Meter" which includes visualizations, logging, and processing/visualization of logging.

This part made me think... I'm using ArcDPS myself and the program clearly exceeds these limitations. You have statistics on buffs, debuffs, failed mechanics and a lot more. Furthermore if you activate logging and paste your logs to dps.report you can get a complete combat review including the positions of all major entities.

@"BunjiKugashira.9754" said:This part made me think... I'm using ArcDPS myself and the program clearly exceeds these limitations. You have statistics on buffs, debuffs, failed mechanics and a lot more. Furthermore if you activate logging and paste your logs to dps.report you can get a complete combat review including the positions of all major entities.

• Position information is available through the mumble API.
  • The chat options for combat include incoming|outgoing buff damage, healing, damage, interrupts, and mitigated damage. That can be translated (based on skill names) to failed mechanics and "a lot more."

@maddoctor.2738 said:

@"crepuscular.9047" said:i dont think it's other player's gears and inventory is loaded into memory, it would be too much things in memory; only your own are loaded into the memory, thus enable Arc's build template to work

Gear of other players that is "visible" like armor and weapons is stored in the client's memory. Otherwise your client wouldn't know which items to show to you.Trinkets should also be loaded in all client's memory since we have Aurora and Vision and clients need to know if they exist to show the particle effects.The rest of the inventory should be mostly invisible to other clients.

that does not true, when the character models are rendered, it is rendering the skins of the equipped item not the actual item, server passes the code of the skins of other players have on to your client, and your client will fetch file skin files from your pc locally

This can be seen if you running on a physical 7200rpm hard drive at places like boss fightswhen skins are loading very slow, you will see a generic grey armored 'male' model

this also goes for the player's animations tooi.e. when another player is doing a ress, if your client have not loaded other player's animation file, you will see the character model standing wacking the air; where if the animation file is loaded then you will see that player is kneeled down doing rub rubs

GW2 isn't like the old MMOs weapon/armor skin is the actual item, hence why the blacklion garanteed unlocker can unlock just the skin without the item

@"crepuscular.9047" said:that does not true, when the character models are rendered, it is rendering the skins of the equipped item not the actual item, server passes the code of the skins of other players have on to your client, and your client will fetch file skin files from your pc locally

In order to render the skin it needs to know which skin it is, it needs to know the actual item. Even for transmuted items, GW2 stores them in the format "Item + Skin used" so it contains BOTH the exact item and the skin used on top of it. It does make the game more ram-hungry but it's much faster that way.

GW2 isn't like the old MMOs weapon/armor skin is the actual item, hence why the blacklion garanteed unlocker can unlock just the skin without the item

There was a ban due to gear checks, allowing players using a tool to see the gear of everyone around them. The actual gear, not the transmuted skins. So I don't know where you get your information that the game doesn't store actual items in memory, because in reality it does.

@maddoctor.2738 said:

@"crepuscular.9047" said:that does not true, when the character models are rendered, it is rendering the skins of the equipped item not the actual item, server passes the code of the skins of other players have on to your client, and your client will fetch file skin files from your pc locally

In order to render the skin it needs to know which skin it is, it needs to know the actual item. Even for transmuted items, GW2 stores them in the format "Item + Skin used" so it contains BOTH the exact item and the skin used on top of it. It does make the game more ram-hungry but it's much faster that way.

it should not be any faster, i'd image the data store should be something like this in the database server for your slotted gear, with your own account that item_id needs to be passed, but should not be needed when non-account owner requests for such data; every bit of non-mandatory data not sent frees up more bandwidth on the server, and use less memory on the clients| acc_char_uid | slot_id | item_id | item_sk_id |

There was a ban due to gear checks, allowing players using a tool to see the gear of everyone around them. The actual gear, not the transmuted skins. So I don't know where you get your information that the game doesn't store actual items in memory, because in reality it does.

that's news, must have been during that initial 2 years of GW2 when I had a constant overheating PC but cannot afford to buy a new one? technically there should be no need to pass such value from one client to another

search up Google only turned up a single post on reddit, searched Google for the program few discussions turned up on other forums, but their description of it was a movement hack; send me a PM the detail of the incident, since network and furnitures have not been set up at new home, need something to read during my downtime from GW2

@"crepuscular.9047" said:| acc_char_uid | slot_id | item_id | item_sk_id |

Your client knows the item id to display the correct item, therefore it knows the stats as well. It's actually mandatory data to pass.It works like this: an item called Amazing Gloves has an id of 1204827. This id is passed by your client to the server. When you are in the same area as me, my client takes that id 1204827 (to know which item it is) and searches the local data for that id then presents it to me. So my client knows full well every single item you are wearing, in order to display them. It doesn't have the actual data for it, just a reference for them (a shortcut to the memory area they are stored in). Once my client has the id it does know that you are wearing the Amazing Gloves.

that's news, must have been during that initial 2 years of GW2 when I had a constant overheating PC but cannot afford to buy a new one? technically there should be no need to pass such value from one client to another

The ban happened in August 2017 during the initial 2 years we didn't have dps meters. The value passed is a reference id to the appropriate items, you really need that value to have a working game. The alternative to "hide" the information is to send only the name of the item, but then you'd have to compare that name with the name of every single item in the game to find the appropriate one, which is a very slow process. Also in that way you wouldn't be able to pass dye information, it would be a mess.

may be I don't write why I ask on start, and I say my story:as for me - I don't want use arrcdps or other dps meter, and don't like than other use it, but we have raid const team..With that team we have meet Gorseval and can't kill him he make explosion before we make dps on 66%. On best result 73-75% we have BOOOOOM!! and all die.

So very very strange that we have solid non avoided mechanical wipe based on DPS CHECK, and can't be sure that dps tool we can use to check and improve dps on air.I am very will be glad to power OFF thats dps checks on bosses, and close question about dps meters, but seems we should install UNKNOWN tools and investigate real dps mechanic to get that raid part of gw2 content.