Please Help - Locked out of my account due to out of date authentication details

Hi guys,

My GW2 account is almost as old as release. This means it has my old phone number attached. Got a new modem yesterday and security protocols seem to be making it that now that I have a new physical address or w/e, I am locked out of my account until I enter the code sent to my phone. Catch 22: the code is being sent to my old phone. I made a ticket with the relevant info over 24 hours ago and still no response. Any GW2 staff on here able to take a look at my case? The request number is 7367427.

Thanks

TGH

@TGH.7630 said:Hi guys,

My GW2 account is almost as old as release. This means it has my old phone number attached. Got a new modem yesterday and security protocols seem to be making it that now that I have a new physical address or w/e, I am locked out of my account until I enter the code sent to my phone. Catch 22: the code is being sent to my old phone. I made a ticket with the relevant info over 24 hours ago and still no response. Any GW2 staff on here able to take a look at my case? The request number is 7367427.

Thanks

TGH

If you made a ticket that is all you can really do. Support does not monitor and take actions on posts here in the forums as this is more of a peer support from other users.Ticket response times are currently slow due to high volume and even in normal times 24 hours would be pushing it. You would need to give them at least 72 hours but as it is heavy volume time it could take much longer. Have you received the automated response when you submitted your ticket? If so, then it is now just a waiting game.

Damn, I've blown £60 into this game the past month and got my gf to invest £15 too. It sucks that I didn't get any notification that my details might need to be changed when I logged in for the first time in 4 years last month. It also sucks that now on day 3 of not being able to log in I have had no response from anything beyond a bot. All over something so insignificant as a router change. Anet needs a tertiary way to reclaim details without going down this obviously inadequate avenue of customer support: secret questions. I'm honestly shocked that in this day and age Anet seems to not have implemented a secret question system (or if they have, why on Earth haven't I been asked mine??).> @ShiningSquirrel.3751

@TGH.7630 said:kitten, I've blown £60 into this game the past month and got my gf to invest £15 too. It sucks that I didn't get any notification that my details might need to be changed when I logged in for the first time in 4 years last month. It also sucks that now on day 3 of not being able to log in I have had no response from anything beyond a bot. All over something so insignificant as a router change. Anet needs a tertiary way to reclaim details without going down this obviously inadequate avenue of customer support: secret questions. I'm honestly shocked that in this day and age Anet seems to not have implemented a secret question system (or if they have, why on Earth haven't I been asked mine??).> @ShiningSquirrel.3751

Would make it easier for hackers to take over your account so I vote no on that suggestion.Maybe make it a habbit to check these details in the future?Edit+They have a 72h timer on getting to your ticket under normal condtions since your on day 3 not past it thats totaly within their time limit so far.Then again it might be alot of people coming back to the game as you have done atm, that need help from cs teams so not normal conditions.

Me and a few family members all had the same problem recently my number had been updated and another had lost the phone so all 3 of us had to change our auth numbers when logging into the new wifi router. We had to wait about 3 days each to get them reset, we didn't get any follow up emails to let us know when it happened just discovered on day 3 that we could log back in and the old numbers had been stripped from our accounts.If you made the ticket 24 hours ago leave it another 48 and try log in again, it should work.

@"TGH.7630" said:WoW uses secret questionsI wouldn't expect you to remember something seemingly arbitrary from more than 4 years ago with absolutely no reminder.You think answers to "secret questions" aren't forgotten?

this is a farce. Such an obvious failure of their system and their support staff.Inefficient? Sure. Failure? no.

I realize it's frustrating to be unable to play when you want.Wouldn't it be more frustrating if it were "that easy" for someone to take over your account?

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@"TGH.7630" said:WoW uses secret questionsI wouldn't expect you to remember something seemingly arbitrary from more than 4 years ago with absolutely no reminder.You think answers to "secret questions" aren't forgotten?Generally not because they are constants, i.e. 'What was the name of your first pet?'this is a farce. Such an obvious failure of their system and their support staff.Inefficient? Sure. Failure? no.Failure: yes. I am not able to access a service I have invested around £100 in for over 5 days now because of a failure in their account recovery system. There should never be a single point of failure like this.I realize it's frustrating to be unable to play when you want.Wouldn't it be more frustrating if it were "that easy" for someone to take over your account?It's not easy for someone to take an account with secret questions. They need: a) very personal knowledge of your life and history b) access to your emails.I have played WoW with no authenticator for 11 yrs and I don't use an antivirus. I have never been hacked. Wow is successful with using secret questions for account recovery. Your reasoning would make sense if it wasn't.

Simple security questions are a vulnerability and using them to bypass 2FA would only defeat the purpose of having 2FA. WoW also requires you to contact support to remove 2FA, and likewise, GW2 also has "questions" to recover your password. If they were going to add an option to remove 2FA yourself, it would be a randomly generated recovery code that you would need to save, which is already a thing when using the other 2FA option (authenticator).

For future reference, SMS is the worst option available. If you want reliability, use an authenticator, which is the only option where you generate the code yourself and can recover it. If you want security, email authentication with 2FA on the email.

@TGH.7630 said:I have played WoW with no authenticator for 11 yrs and I don't use an antivirus. I have never been hacked.

That doesn't mean you're safe. In 2008 for example, simply visiting WoW's most popular helper site would infect your computer with a virus if flash was installed. In 2012, Blizzard themselves were compromised.

I'm starting to feel the same, using a different account since I can access mine. I get that they want to be secure but every other game with 2FA also has live chat. I was able to get back into my R6 account within minutes, and its been days for GW2 now. It's super frustrating for such an easy ticket. I feel like they need to look into their process.