Recent PvP Queuing Instability — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Recent PvP Queuing Instability

edited June 8, 2019 in PVP

Hey everyone. Just wanted to put up a quick note that we are actively investigating the issue with getting stuck unable to queue up for PvP matches. This bug is something that would come up occasionally in the past.

A bit of simplified explanation: For a currently unknown reason, players are sometimes not removed from the roster (group) they were in during a PvP match. Then, when you try to queue up, the system sees that you're in an active roster and decides to do nothing. As this used to be somewhat rare, we created some scripts that comb the system looking for old rosters and clear them out, which would fix the problem. These scripts can only be run so often and against rosters of a certain age, since the automated tournament system keeps players in the same roster for longer periods and we don't want to destroy those rosters.

In the last 2-3 weeks, the frequency of this bug has gone up dramatically and we're not sure why, though we have some thoughts on ways to work around it. We're currently in the process of building some additional logging to further help us track down the issue.

We understand that this is extremely frustrating, it is for us as well. We'll keep you updated as we get more information.

Ben Phongluangtham
Senior Game Designer

Tagged:
<1

Comments

• insane.7506insane.7506 Member ✭✭

Ty Ben for communication .

• Falan.1839Falan.1839 Member ✭✭✭

Well, after 2 weeks or so Anet has finally acknowledged the problem exists. It's something, I guess.

Falásya / Caissech

"When you say it's gonna happen "now"
    When exactly do you mean?
    See I've already waited too long
    And all my hope is gone"
    The Smiths about Balance and PvP changes

• Leeches.7126Leeches.7126 Member ✭✭

@Falan.1839 said:
    Well, after 2 weeks or so Anet has finally acknowledged the problem exists. It's something, I guess.

27e0209769be6ffc61a3edf05378516b.jpg

meanwhile i'll just stare at this screen for approaching 6 hours now

• Leeches.7126Leeches.7126 Member ✭✭

please fix my account its been bugged since 4.30 its now 11pm. I keep checking every few hours and its still broken. Is this just my account from now on? If so can i get a refund for everything?

• Sorem.9157Sorem.9157 Member ✭✭✭

As much as i appreciate that it is at least acknowledged now, it is too late. The fact that it took over two weeks for this to be even mentioned by a developer, considering it ruined the end of the season for a significant number of people is still blatantly disrespectful and absurd.

Despite the many awesome and wonderful things ArenaNet does in different areas, 0/10 on the way your team has managed this issue, with zero regards to ArenaNet's consumers.

Personally, i'm offended by the way the community was threated, considering i have invested money, have brought people in and have spent over 6000 hours into this game myself.

Shame.

• OutOfOrder.3719OutOfOrder.3719 Member ✭✭✭

Yes. A horrible way to end season 16 and prevented many players from obtaining those legend titles for the last time.

• Deus Fatorum.2473Deus Fatorum.2473 Member ✭✭✭

@Leeches.7126 said:

@Falan.1839 said:

27e0209769be6ffc61a3edf05378516b.jpg

meanwhile i'll just stare at this screen for approaching 6 hours now

Got same bug, map select frozen on my screen as well.

Full Counter is supposed to counter everything, why else is it called FULL Counter... Just like 100 blades should really hit 100 times so you instantly die to retaliation.

• SlateSloan.3654SlateSloan.3654 Member ✭✭✭

right now alot players got the bug that the button to go in queue not react. is like skill lag in wvw, you press the skill but nothing happens.

And there is only one thing we say to Death: 'not today'.

• im stuck and cannot queue

• Susy.7529Susy.7529 Member ✭✭✭

@Leeches.7126 said:
    please fix my account its been bugged since 4.30 its now 11pm. I keep checking every few hours and its still broken. Is this just my account from now on? If so can i get a refund for everything?

You (and anybody else in your situation) won't get any refund most likely, but you can open a ticket to be able to queue again, despite it will take some days to get addressed due to Support response times.

• MissCee.1295MissCee.1295 Member ✭✭
    edited June 12, 2019

Great start to the season, being unable to even queue for PVP. This needs to be fixed asap!

UPDATE: If you create/join a squad, then leave, it should "reset" & you can queue for matches again. Worked for me & several others who were in pvp lobby together.

• Synco.8203Synco.8203 Member ✭✭

Yeh, same issue here....

Seems a bulk of us have had this happen at the same time - I was playing several matches prior and all of a sudden I could not cue for the next. Funny enough it came after a 501 to 499 victory if this information is of any use.

My gut feeling is that this is some intentional sabotage "trick" that few players know - that is, they get salty for losing a match and do "something" that locks everyone else in that roster and unable to cue. The only variable between matches is different players, and the rarity of occurrences suggests it might be player behavior causing it.

I don't know for certain, but maybe they terminate their internet connection during final scoreboard or something.... i got no idea, but I would be thinking along these lines. Anyway, hope it's fixed soon.

Cheers

• @Ben Phongluangtham.1065 said:
    Hey everyone. Just wanted to put up a quick note that we are actively investigating the issue with getting stuck unable to queue up for PvP matches. This bug is something that would come up occasionally in the past.

A bit of simplified explanation: For a currently unknown reason, players are sometimes not removed from the roster (group) they were in during a PvP match. Then, when you try to queue up, the system sees that you're in an active roster and decides to do nothing. As this used to be somewhat rare, we created some scripts that comb the system looking for old rosters and clear them out, which would fix the problem. These scripts can only be run so often and against rosters of a certain age, since the automated tournament system keeps players in the same roster for longer periods and we don't want to destroy those rosters.

In the last 2-3 weeks, the frequency of this bug has gone up dramatically and we're not sure why, though we have some thoughts on ways to work around it. We're currently in the process of building some additional logging to further help us track down the issue.

We understand that this is extremely frustrating, it is for us as well. We'll keep you updated as we get more information.

Give the bug dishonored stacks for queue dodging.

[Charr Noises]
    [Plays every class]
    [JUST GIT EVEN GUDDER ITS FINE]

• What a f*cking joke... Not only am i locked out of PvP, the "Map results" overlay is preventing my from doing everything in the game. Can't even switch to some PvE. This is absolutely rediculous for a "professional" company as ArenaNet/NCSoft...

• Remixex.2089Remixex.2089 Member ✭✭

Yeah I'm stuck :( Cannot click ranked or unranked queues

• Skotlex.7580Skotlex.7580 Member ✭✭✭

@MissCee.1295 said:
    UPDATE: If you create/join a squad, then leave, it should "reset" & you can queue for matches again. Worked for me & several others who were in pvp lobby together.

Try this, people. Sounds like a much faster workaround than waiting for Anet to squash the bug.

• Legacy.7360Legacy.7360 Member ✭✭

This work around is not working. I've been joining groups from LFGs and leaving several times, nada.

• I've been experiencing the issue off and on for a few weeks now. It's incredibly annoying.
    Before it would work again after a few hours, but now I've been stuck being unable to queue for nearly 12 hours.

• FIX, Hi guys, i fixed my bug by joining one of the "brawls", after the game it seems to working fine to join ranked/unraked again.

• @Herrmann.5024 said:
    FIX, Hi guys, i fixed my bug by joining one of the "brawls", after the game it seems to working fine to join ranked/unraked again.

Update, it only worked once, sorry, now im back to unqueueable.

• Weindrasi.3805Weindrasi.3805 Member ✭✭✭

This happened to me for the first time tonight. I am glad to hear it's a known glitch. When I asked about it in the PvP lobby, multiple players told me I was a "known afker and DCer" and couldn't join because I had been banned. That's not true, and it left me paranoid I'd been punished for something false.

• Hey everyone. Just wanted to give an update on this bug. We have a potential "bulwark" to the problem currently in testing. While not a fix, our hope is that it will reduce the time someone experiences the problem from potentially hours to minutes. Once this has gone through enough testing, we hope to be able to deploy it soon.

As far as real fix, it's a very difficult problem for us to track down. It's not something we've been able to reproduce internally and only seems to happen in a live environment with normal server load. We're hoping at that as we add more logging, we'll find a long term solution.

Ben Phongluangtham
    Senior Game Designer

• Have a friend with the same issue Biglindy.8173 can you check his account? Hasn't been able to login all day.

• Zexanima.7851Zexanima.7851 Member ✭✭✭

I've been having this issue more recently. It doesn't last very long, usually 10 minutes max. It's been increasing in frequency though.

No longer playing the game due to PvP being abandon.

• Rofl.6937Rofl.6937 Member ✭✭

Hi ben, im currently stuck, unstuck me pls

• hi all i cant q again pls help me
    ty in advance

• Rofl.6937Rofl.6937 Member ✭✭

unstuck, but now i cant queue

• Naylanna.1457Naylanna.1457 Member
    edited June 27, 2019

@Skotlex.7580 said: If you create/join a squad, then leave, it should "reset" & you can queue for matches again. Worked for me & several others who were in pvp lobby together.

@MissCee.1295 said:

Try this, people. Sounds like a much faster workaround than waiting for Anet to squash the bug.

Tried it, it helped my friend but not me. I've been unable to queue for hours. He can now queue if he's not in a team with me. I'm cursed!

• Can you please unstuck my account?

I'm one game away from finishing my reward track!

• Thank you for the info. <3

• I have the same problem. Please fix it fast I want to finish The Ascension T_T

• sephiroth.4217sephiroth.4217 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Robert Neckorcuk II.6193 said:
    Hello GW2 PVPer's!

My name is Robert and I'm on the Platform/Server team here at ArenaNet. I've been working with the PvP team for the past few weeks on this issue of queue instability. I wanted to write a quick note here and try to give a bit of insight as to what's going on.

First and foremost, this is a very visible issue for the team here. We understand your frustration, and we are working both on improved mitigation and resolution for this issue.

This week, alongside the new release, we deployed additional code to the pvp servers. The goals for these changes were additional logging and metrics to help us better understand the patterns around this issue, as well as an attempted timer-based mitigation to reduce the overall time that a stuck roster will take to get cleaned up. We placed the timer update in one of the main code paths for roster destruction, however, we have not seen any instances of this timer having be activated thus far. This tells us that the main destroy path is working, but that does not yet help those players who are getting stuck.

The root cause of this issue deals with the mechanism we are using to sync multiple pieces of information from a single source of truth. When a roster is "finished" (either through completing its series of states, or getting invalidated during one of its states), we need to perform update and cleanup steps across multiple objects and multiple networked servers. These steps must be resilient to transient errors caused by internal server errors, network timeout errors, and more.

The simplest explanation for where we are right now is: we have 100 different ways to manage an object, and 99 of them are working correctly. With the new logging and metrics, we are already gaining additional insight into where the divergent behaviour is originating.

This is good news, and we are making progress, but writing and rolling out the root cause fix will still take some time.

Thanks, and we appreciate your patience,

-R

Thanks for the updates.

Not to brag, but I put together a puzzle in 4 days and the box said 2-4 years.
    Please allow team queue with rewards again at our own discretion.
    06210311 251521 121512

• From what I understand, the roster is supposed to clear itself after a while for stuck accounts to get out, right?
    And that time is taking longer because you don't want tournament rosters to get cleared as well?
    Can't you separate that asset for tournament rosters? like don't get them cleaned up, or get them cleaned up much later than normal ranked/unranked matches. I've been stuck for two hours now, surely any roster doesn't last that long. I'm just trying to do ranked matches and I can't.

• This is ridiculous. It has fixed itself after about 3 hours. I managed to play 3 games and boom, broken again. -.-

• Falan.1839Falan.1839 Member ✭✭✭

Aaaand it's bugged again.

Falásya / Caissech

"When you say it's gonna happen "now"
    When exactly do you mean?
    See I've already waited too long
    And all my hope is gone"
    The Smiths about Balance and PvP changes

• Just happened again. Finished and left the match. Can't queue anymore... :s

Rytlock Brimstone: So we find the archon, take him out, then use Kas's "imposter" trick to take his place, right?
    Lady Kasmeer Meade: It's not a trick. Mesmers don't do "tricks"—we utilize illusion.
    Rytlock Brimstone: Yeah, yeah. You guys are worse than elementalists.

• EnderzShadow.2506EnderzShadow.2506 Member ✭✭✭✭

Lot of people complaining about it in map chat.
    Hasn't happened to me again, /knock on wood.

mhm, ok, sure, whatever you say, no after you, I insist, no really, please, be my guest,

• Nezekan.2671Nezekan.2671 Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 30, 2019

This causes some players, such as me, to not be able to complete their daily achievements for ascension. It delays your progress by an entire season + the season downtime.

This time its at record high for me. 7 hours and still bugged.

Edit: even the daily reset did not fix it.

• ironwolf.6459ironwolf.6459 Member
    edited June 30, 2019

Stuck on Map Results again. :-/

Edit: The game is unplayable like this. Really disappointed in this game and those that cannot fix this.

• @Ben Phongluangtham.1065
    Although I appreciate some kind of response, it has been nearly 2 months since this issue has started at least for me, and as of right now, because I have it in front of me. is still an issue. and you say working with the "pvp team" like really? a team? almost makes me laugh. I wasn't always good at this game but i really started to put in effort to become a better player and i did. i managed to get a top ten title and some satisfaction out of my "hard work". I would bet every dollar in my bank account that there is only 1-3 people working on pvp, and it shows , from the lack of content, swiss tournaments being talked and talked about for how long now? Balance patches that are more rare than a sugar cube on the moon. and even when we get them , such as the last 2-3 patches, change literally absolutely nothing about the game. yeah really seems like the pvp team is hard at work. maybe im wrong, maybe you are all working tirelessly day in day out to improve pvp, but everything leads to me thinking otherwise. I honestly feel sorry for you, and anyone else who had any pvp related problems thrown on your desk's, because i truly believe you all couldn't care less about this part of the game.

• not sure if there was any fix in the meantime, but queue works for me now... (8:53 am Central Europe Summer Time)

Rytlock Brimstone: So we find the archon, take him out, then use Kas's "imposter" trick to take his place, right?
    Lady Kasmeer Meade: It's not a trick. Mesmers don't do "tricks"—we utilize illusion.
    Rytlock Brimstone: Yeah, yeah. You guys are worse than elementalists.

• I'd really like to know when the kitten this Q issue will be resolved. This is getting be kitten stupid.

• dceptaconroy.7928dceptaconroy.7928 Member ✭✭✭

Yes pls. Its been down for 3-4hrs.....

• dceptaconroy.7928dceptaconroy.7928 Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 3, 2019

And just as it was yesterday, down again. C'mon its like its timed for when i get on game, stuff all time for this game mode isn't cool.

• Please fix bug ANET, i need to PvP :(

• Nezekan.2671Nezekan.2671 Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 3, 2019

If you guys haven't you should read about how employees at video game companies are treated in recent revelations. It happened to Bioware and EA and recently Blizzard.

It would not surprise me at all if people at ANET are extremely short staffed and overworked and it would explain this bug, and many other things about the state of the game.

• Jack.5037Jack.5037 Member

Hit me today while I was farming pvp tracks. Hope it gets fixed soon. How long does it usually take for the pvp que system to fix itself?

• Branwen.8741Branwen.8741 Member ✭✭

Been unable to que up for an hour now. I know that isn't nearly as long as some of you, but I understand your frustrations now. Nothing I try changes the fact that when I try to click to que, nothing happens.

• @Ben Phongluangtham.1065 said:
    Hey everyone. Just wanted to give an update on this bug. We have a potential "bulwark" to the problem currently in testing. While not a fix, our hope is that it will reduce the time someone experiences the problem from potentially hours to minutes. Once this has gone through enough testing, we hope to be able to deploy it soon.

As far as real fix, it's a very difficult problem for us to track down. It's not something we've been able to reproduce internally and only seems to happen in a live environment with normal server load. We're hoping at that as we add more logging, we'll find a long term solution.

Hey Ben, just wanted to add some information. It has hit me for over 4 hours today. I can pick a match from a game browser, but cannot solo queue in ranked or unranked. I can get pulled into a queue while duoing, and I can also queue the duo myself.

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.