Changing Passwords/Merging Account

Why does Area.net still have this archaic system for getting a password back? I was REALLY looking forward to playing this game with my husband but again we're stopped by the change password screen. He played pretty much back when it launched. He's got his game key, screenshots, knows his email and has his phone number hooked up. How come they can't just text a reset password code? Why does he have to remember a character name that he probably used a random generator for because every other name is taken. He sent in a ticket two days ago but god knows when we'll actually hear something. At this point he's just going to move on to a different game instead of buying the expansions because why wait around for a company that can't even make a simple reset password function? Every other game it's just send an email. I just don't understand why this is the way it is.

The next question is going to be when they finally to get the time to give him back his account can they just merge it into a new one?

At this damn point we're just going to buy a new game if he still wants to play. He didn't have any of the expansions anyways and from the looks of it base game is free now.

They can not/will not merge accounts. Support appears to be running behind their 72 hour or less goal recently. I had fairly minor issue last week and it took 5 days for a resolution. Perhaps a lot of people are returning to the game and also have support needs causing the delay. Also note the free to play version of the core game has several significant restrictions over those with paid versions.

https://help.guildwars2.com/hc/en-us/articles/230165307-Guild-Wars-2-Account-Types-Free-Core-HoT-PoF