Why are you a "Casual" OR "Hardcore" player in WvW? — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Why are you a "Casual" OR "Hardcore" player in WvW?

Whiteout.1975Whiteout.1975 Member ✭✭✭

Initially, there's not entirely a right or wrong answer here because it's based upon what you prefer. I'm just asking what side you consider yourself to lean more on if anything and "Why?"

• For example you can be "Hardcore" overall, but still have Casual tendencies from time to time.

Obviously anyone intentionally leaning one way or the other must have some "Pro" vs "Con" mindset. However effective that may be... Between these two playing preferences. So I think approaching this question with possible Pro's/Con's each preference might carry... May "carry" your stance a little (or a lot) further. However, that's entirely up to you so long as you're able to answer "Why?"

Anyways, I'm just really curious on people's reasoning's as to why they prefer one playstyle over the other.

Why are you a "Casual" OR "Hardcore" player in WvW? 66 votes

I'm Casual because...
74%
SkyShroud.2865derd.6413Renovatio.2504HazyDaisy.4107MithranArkanere.8957Susy.7529Dragana.1497ArchonWing.9480Cragga the Eighty Third.6015Vayne.8563Kylden Ar.3724Dinas Dragonbane.2978Kovu.7560Kaiser.9873Sovereign.1093Elmo Benchwarmer.3025Liston.9708Gorani.7205Clownmug.8357Etterwyn.5263 49 votes
I'm Hardcore because...
25%
werdernator.6105Nimrod.9240SWI.4127Dahir.4158Blackarps.1974linamaria.1830TheBravery.9615Aeolus.3615Trajan.4953Tomas.6092Voltekka.2375Dano.2408SloRules.3560TinkTinkPOOF.9201MrsHybrid.1960SexyMofo.8923acdspydar.8920 17 votes
<1

Comments

• Kovu.7560Kovu.7560 Member ✭✭✭✭
    I'm Casual because...

The hardcore/tryhards are one subforum up.

Ranger main before it was viable.
    Fort Aspenwood.

• GaijinGuy.8476GaijinGuy.8476 Member ✭✭✭
    I'm Casual because...

I play on and off. Don’t have enough time to be “hardcore”

• Etterwyn.5263Etterwyn.5263 Member ✭✭✭
    I'm Casual because...

Casual because I don’t have big, consistent, time chunks to invest. I might have 30 minutes on Monday. I might have 3 hours on Monday. I might have no time at all Monday and log on Tuesday before reset to get the dailies in. I just can’t commit.

WvW™ - where you find more Red Rings of Death than an Xbox repair facility.

• MithranArkanere.8957MithranArkanere.8957 Member ✭✭✭✭
    I'm Casual because...

I have something quite akin to what people would call "A life", and that imposes time constrictions on my schedule.

• ArchonWing.9480ArchonWing.9480 Member ✭✭✭✭
    I'm Casual because...

What is there to be hardcore over?

• Susy.7529Susy.7529 Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 11, 2019
    I'm Casual because...

Because it's not funny after playing a lot consecutively, it's always "cap this objective, fight that zerg, repeat".

• iKeostuKen.2738iKeostuKen.2738 Member ✭✭✭

Casual cause I dont meta battle my builds. Just like to play whats on my mind. Right now its core Glass staff ele.

• Lady Celtaine.3760Lady Celtaine.3760 Member ✭✭
    edited June 12, 2019
    I'm Casual because...

deleted: thought this was a general question but it's wvw specific so nvm
    (Before anyone says "do you need glasses?" at me the answer is yes, yes I do.)

• Dawdler.8521Dawdler.8521 Member ✭✭✭✭

What is hardcore and why is it a playstyle?

• Liah.8324Liah.8324 Member ✭✭
    edited June 12, 2019

It's in between. Fiercely loyal to the guild and the people in it, don't really give a [email protected] about the actual game; because it's on an aging, downhill slide.....love a good, mostly-even fight, and don't mind PPT-ing. And by even, I mean lasts at least a few rotations of all skills. Win or lose, a good fight to me, is where you can throw a dome two, three, or maybe more times before one team faceplants. Any time our commander comes on coms and says "Uh.....I have no skills left"....that's a good day.

F---, I'm awful at this game.

• Gop.8713Gop.8713 Member ✭✭✭✭
    I'm Casual because...

. . . the same thing I said last time . . .

• derd.6413derd.6413 Member ✭✭✭✭
    I'm Casual because...

gear is expensive

I Have No friends, so I Must pug

• enkidu.5937enkidu.5937 Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 12, 2019
    I'm Casual because...

Its a minor game mode in a casual PvE story game, and its neglected by Anet.

Consequences:

• poor class balance
    • poor new content
    • poor rewards
    • exploits
    • server lags
    • massive population imbalances

Its a big scale open world hit and run ganker's paradise.

After you've reached a specific skill level, there is no incentive to keep improving, since the enemy would then just (A) call in more players to gank you, or (B) run away / dodge the fights / switch the map / karma train / fight the other server / just go offline.

• HazyDaisy.4107HazyDaisy.4107 Member ✭✭✭✭
    I'm Casual because...

I lack the the appendage and age range needed to be hard core.

[HaHa] Hazardous Hallucination - Sorrows Furnace

• Not sure how to classify myself. I'm exclusively a WvW player with the exception of Living World releases and I don't mind participating in losing matches ( meaning I don't fair weather ).

However, I also don't care about the score, I don't care if objectives are lost and I don't care what tier we're in. Although I do dislike Tier 1.

But I also actively scout, build siege, use Discord when necessary and do "hardcore" defense ( like a maintenance player when outnumbered, constantly rushing to check objective status, refreshing siege, etc. )

I participate in all roles of WvW but am primarily a solo/small scale player. I try to prevent enemy camps from upgrading or allowing them to hold Mercenary camps, I respond to scouts for defense, I harass the tail of zergs to kill chasers or slow players and I take towers when I see an opportunity.

I want to say I'm a "hardcore" player because of how flexible I am as a WvW player and because WvW is all I really do, but I also want to say I'm casual because there are many times I'm not paying attention to the map at all and I honestly could not care less for the score. 99% of the time all I'm doing is looking for fights whether it's roaming, zerging or defending, as long as I know there's potential for combat I'll be hurrying to the nearest spot it's happening.

I do make an effort to contribute to the realm via capturing and defending but I don't feel... "Passionate" about it? It's more or less routine and seeking action than it is a deliberate mission to boost PPT/PPK. And I also definitely don't treat it like a job despite how often I play. So, I think I could fall in to either category but I'd personally say I'm more casual than hardcore. I'm simply not bothered by score or losing objectives like some people are. Some people will go absolutely bananas if a T3 objective is lost and I just /shrug and continue on.

💀 Necromancer | Diamond Legend 💎

• steki.1478steki.1478 Member ✭✭✭✭

@iKeostuKen.2738 said:
    Casual cause I dont meta battle my builds. Just like to play whats on my mind. Right now its core Glass staff ele.

Dont wanna burst your bubble, but core staff ele isnt far from meta lol

• Dragon Priestess.9760Dragon Priestess.9760 Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 12, 2019
    I'm Casual because...

I like PvE too and want to to invest equal amounts of time

PvE during the day, WvW at night!

Tarnished Coast, North America.
    ♀️ Fashion Wars Lover!

• Strider Pj.2193Strider Pj.2193 Member ✭✭✭✭

Luv doe’s Publix pols..

• Ben.2160Ben.2160 Member ✭✭
    I'm Casual because...

I mostly play PVE. I have 18 characters who I always do the stories with. I've waited for LS4 to finish before I will finish it now with my 17 other characters - I played each episode when they released with just the one character. I've had the game since early 2015, and rarely played WvW mainly because of...

Unbalance. OP broken builds, population differences. - bandwagoning between linked severs.
    Linked servers - What's the point? As a FOW player (2nd lowest in EU) We're almost always paired with T1 servers who plummet downwards when we get linked with them bandwagoning between linked servers/reliance on links for success is obvious.
    Little incentive to win - apart from 2 extra pips in first place to speed up chests there is no other incentive to win.
    Hard to learn/not 'noob' friendly - When warclaw came out the biggest grumble was with new players coming in and not staying - who would with all the elitism that was going on - very stuck up attitude and a sure way to keep players away from the mode. New players seen as loot bags and nothing more...
    Same old/don't change our mode! attitude - Maps are the same, capping a camp is the same etc... Players moan of lack of new content a-net does something new, mounts would be a great example and many of the 'veterans' are in uproar - you've changed our mode! Wah you've changed our mode! week before - we need changes! WvW is ignored/neglected! Why would/should A-net bother with such a whiney bunch of people that are impossible to please? (especially when 99% of players are happily running about on mounts anyway!!!)

Since warclaw came out I've been playing a lot more, but still only rank 495 was rank 90 before Warclaw as now I find it so much easier to get around. But It does get boring quickly. Facing the same people/guilds/blobs gank squads constantly each match/time I play also gets dull quickly.

• Clownmug.8357Clownmug.8357 Member ✭✭✭
    I'm Casual because...

Because stacking servers, only playing meta builds, and pubstomping with a group comp seems like something a pathetic person would do.

• Psycoprophet.8107Psycoprophet.8107 Member ✭✭✭✭
    I'm Casual because...

I'm casual cuz dont feel compelled to load game very often these days

• Voltekka.2375Voltekka.2375 Member ✭✭✭✭
    I'm Hardcore because...

I like the bandwagoning, the empty victory that comes from farming pugs when i overstack with other "fight" guilds every relink, the permacamping of T3 SM, the doubleteaming when an enemy server whines, the endless nightcapping. Ah, glorious!

• Ben K.6238Ben K.6238 Member ✭✭✭✭

Hmm. This could be amusing to watch.

My play hours in WvW have become quite few and far between now. I'd like it to be worth my time, but it's just not. Normally I'd rather be playing it than PvE, except that PvE doesn't write cheques it can't cash.

And for some reason, disappointing gameplay is less tolerable than gameplay I expected to be mediocre in the first place. Not sure if I'm just weird or that's a common thing.

• I'm Casual because...

There's only so much time to play the game. When I have finished all my open-world dailies and am not working on a specific project/area/story, and my weekly key farmer is as ranked-up as I plan to get them, I will sometimes play WvW....if I think of it. WvW is fun but kind of repetitive, and just swapping ownership of little outposts back and forth starts to feel pointless after a little while.

• yusayu.3629yusayu.3629 Member ✭✭✭
    I'm Casual because...

I can't imagine being Hardcore in WvW. How does that even work? Talking about roaming, 90% of the time you run into people that don't even have the right equipment equipped or don't have the kitty unlocked, so you just win for free. Most of your 1v1 or 2v2 or smth. wins while roaming are worth nothing, they're not decided by skill but by gear (why is there no normalization in WvW again?). The other 10%, you ride past each other with the kitty, maybe wave or spit at them and go along your way farming people who do their dailies.

For zergs, it's kinda the same thing. Most of the ones running around in WvW are just a random commander gathering up ppl to get some Karma or smth. Again, most of those people's builds are far from optimized, and even if they were, you'd see two zergs made up of the same three or four specs bombarding each other with AoEs. It's massively rare to see strategy even involved here.

Dunno, I just can't take a PvP mode without normalized equipment seriously.

• Flying.6509Flying.6509 Member ✭✭
    I'm Casual because...

Because it's a casual game and I've a full time job and a family so I play when I can. I'm also not very happy with the game right now. If the circumstances were different, I'd probably be more "hardcore".

• Kylden Ar.3724Kylden Ar.3724 Member ✭✭✭✭
    I'm Casual because...

Because the balance has gone to kitten and I'm largely burned out on the whole mode. I prob used to border on hardcore, no longer. Now I play weekend and call it quits.

How many times we gotta tell you GRIND IS NOT CONTENT there ANet?

Leader of Tyrian Adventure Corp [TACO], [RaW][TACO] Alliance, Kaineng.

• Stand The Wall.6987Stand The Wall.6987 Member ✭✭✭✭

I used to be "hardcore" tho, shortly before HoT and for a while after. its strange to miss HoT skill spam... PoF has so much more lol.

The horror...…….the horror...…….the horror...…….

• Trajan.4953Trajan.4953 Member ✭✭✭
    I'm Hardcore because...

I used to be hardcore, but this game has been taken over by snowflakes and people who demand the bar get lowered to their ability as opposed to trying to get better.

• Ultramex.1506Ultramex.1506 Member ✭✭✭
    I'm Casual because...

Hard to be hardcore when i have 200 ping, sometime it's dead time vs prime time and also cause i don't want to be hardcore

• TheBravery.9615TheBravery.9615 Member ✭✭✭
    I'm Hardcore because...

I'm HardxCORE bro

• SkyShroud.2865SkyShroud.2865 Member ✭✭✭✭
    I'm Casual because...

I am older now.

Founder & Leader of Equinox Solstice [TIME], a Singapore-Based International PvX Guild
    Henge of Denravi Server
    www.gw2time.com

--

Explanations of WvW Structures & Populations Issues

• nthmetal.9652nthmetal.9652 Member ✭✭✭
    I'm Casual because...

... I think that's how you motivate other players trying out the game mode and sticking with it.

"and then we know that we have looked back through the ivory gates into that world of wonder which was ours before we were wise and unhappy"
    -- H. P. Lovecraft - Celephais

• DemonSeed.3528DemonSeed.3528 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Trajan.4953 said:
    I used to be hardcore, but this game has been taken over by snowflakes and people who demand the bar get lowered to their ability as opposed to trying to get better.

This unfortunately is one of the bigger truths.

@Ultramex.1506 said:
    Hard to be hardcore when i have 200 ping

Hehe, one might say playing with a higher ping is hardcore itself, a different kind of handicap :P
    We who have high pings or unstable pings, have more to contend with than just fighting other players - we are fighting with ping. In fact, I accept all kinds of imbalances and nerfs etc, I can deal with that if I could only get a stable, low latency to the server. I still prefer the idea of anet using localised/closer server to users as a proxy/tunnel to the mainservers - it will shave off some ms and give better routing but most importantly provide ping stability. I wish they would implement this somehow.

• Ultramex.1506Ultramex.1506 Member ✭✭✭
    I'm Casual because...

@Ultramex.1506 said:
    Hard to be hardcore when i have 200 ping

Hehe, one might say playing with a higher ping is hardcore itself, a different kind of handicap :P
    We who have high pings or unstable pings, have more to contend with than just fighting other players - we are fighting with ping. In fact, I accept all kinds of imbalances and nerfs etc, I can deal with that if I could only get a stable, low latency to the server. I still prefer the idea of anet using localised/closer server to users as a proxy/tunnel to the mainservers - it will shave off some ms and give better routing but most importantly provide ping stability. I wish they would implement this somehow.

Path of Exile have Gateway but you can't PvP with other from different Gateway.

• DemonSeed.3528DemonSeed.3528 Member ✭✭✭✭

No, not like that those gateway.

• Sovereign.1093Sovereign.1093 Member ✭✭✭✭
    I'm Casual because...

casual because, i am accountable to work, and i scout at home for my wife when baby

Not Even Coverage is the Only broken thing in WVW.

• Ben K.6238Ben K.6238 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Ultramex.1506 said:
    Path of Exile have Gateway but you can't PvP with other from different Gateway.

Nor would you want to, because the PvP is rubbish there.

• Tomas.6092Tomas.6092 Member ✭✭
    edited June 13, 2019
    I'm Hardcore because...

I refresh siege in SMC every 55min so it doesn't despawn.

EU - Whiteside Ridge
    Tequila No Lemons
    [Kill] Gotta Kill Em All

MagSwag

• TinkTinkPOOF.9201TinkTinkPOOF.9201 Member ✭✭✭
    I'm Hardcore because...

You don't define what "Casual" and Hardcore" means at all, adding that might help people to vote.

It could mean time spent, or time spent in game is split more WvW than PvE.

It could mean play style, do you put in effort to save something, or only care to back cap?

It could mean do you enjoy fights with players, or banging on empty doors?

Please define what each means to you so people know what they are really voting on.

"When you power creep the game and make it so that spam gameplay is nearly as effective as deep knowledge and nuance, the quality of players will decrease." -Exedore

• I am casual because I like to mix things up. 2-3 evenings wvw is enough to satisfy my need for senseless violence.

• SoV.5139SoV.5139 Member ✭✭✭
    I'm Casual because...

I play when disposable time allows...

• Wisty.4135Wisty.4135 Member ✭✭
    I'm Casual because...

Casual - Gift of Battle Reward Track takes a while to complete, and the K-Train is mindless T6 partic. Plus it's fun to meme in this mode against the meta builds, especially since my server's a low enough tier that winning or losing doesn't make a difference.

• Arzurag.7506Arzurag.7506 Member ✭✭✭

I´m neither, I´m a player like you that´s playing wvw.
    Though, if you ask about how I approach this game-mode then I would say, I don´t take it very serious.

"I´m not big on sermons, Broken bones teach better lessons."

• SloRules.3560SloRules.3560 Member ✭✭✭
    I'm Hardcore because...

GvG 456789

• Aeolus.3615Aeolus.3615 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 13, 2019
    I'm Hardcore because...

I am a hardcore guardian that uses spirit weapons cause i don’t care about builds that carry.

Lold.

• I'm Hardcore because...

I am hardcore, because repairing SM walls is hard work.

A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both.
    D. D. Eisenhower

• lare.5129lare.5129 Member ✭✭
    I'm Casual because...

because don't like big squads, and mostly we do ve side, capture camps, kill npc guards.

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.