With the cantha expansion looming; Or more the Idea of one becoming closer and closer to reality I felt its time we touched this once again. However Im going to elaborate and explain as to WHY they should be made playable and how one could go about doing this without harming the game, as its not as hard as people might assume. First we must cover two things which are the models and animations are done. The armor more than likely already fit the model as the charr rig was used as a base so im sure the armor could and probably do fit within the engine and its not that hard of a fix. Next is that the voice actor has already and continues to be the same as Illidan from WoW(don't recall his name) for male and for female all they would need is either someone with an oriental accent or use one of the voice actors who currently don't have all three of their roles filled. (We know each actor can be used for three separate characters. I.E the human voice actor is also joko and mordremoth.)
- The first is simple, its an expansion seller. A new race will bring in new and older players and can offer cosmetics we don't currently have; Given the "Fashion wars" End-game they have a very unique feel that NO OTHER GAME offers. A solid case for the A-net montra of being different than the competition.
- They Don't need a starting zone but the city is already there; South of that are three Islands whom could be used as a starting location of need be however I feel they could start at level 80 with full exotics as we currently get a Level booster with each expansion. The kicker would be to make one you need one level 80 on your account which today is not hard nor does it take long to achieve; Likewise they should be unable to do the old story (Personal story) and only be able to do old living world as "Flash backs" or "Tales told" since the generic commander (Ill get to them below) would be dead.
- The five level instance that ties you to the story could go as follows ===> Meet the trailer commander (The one they use for PoF)===> Earn their trust ===> they die facing down the new threat/ helping the Tengu people survive the attack from cantha/the enemy. ===> He tells you to lead because you show promise, and are the only one capable. ===> Unique voice lines are only applicable through the expansion and once we move on to the living world afterwords, we are just the commander again.
- More importantly we could have it be that the tengu fill the Asian aesthetic we currently lack (Not anime) And make them more akin to Imperial China in their cosmetics, and thus Cantha as a whole could be a mixture of Japan/Korea(Korea within the kurzik/luxxon areas) but the main capital could be more akin to Japan. Thus the Tengu could be unique even among all the Asian themes present in the expansion and could help expand on how they effected cantha previously. (Architecture ect)
- Their animations are unique as is their model, it has tons of customization already and its a shame to see it unused.
- They took time to remodel them, why not let them be used for something more as the intention originally was to have them be playable.
- We have three human races, Two beast/anthro races so to even it out we need one more. I feel Tengu more than deserve their spot as a playable race considering their lore, ties to the story of guild wars and their unique theme. They are already at least in individual basis attached to the pact and one (The scribe trainer) left the dominion of winds to join your guild to teach us how to scribe; As he says the dominion wants to be more aware of whats going on.
- Once more they have never been done in any other game, like charr/asuran they could be more of guild wars 2's special thing. One of the three unique races that normally would not be playable in other popular mmo-rpgs.
I hope this was enlightening and I know full well new race haters will come to bash this thread; As they always do and will with them wishing for more of a focus on raiding or some other such thing. But this is simply an Idea for them to use to sell the expansion; Similarly to mounts as we know mounts can come from living world and E-specs are almost guaranteed in an expansion, we need something new to keep it fresh. Another "Joy" of movement that invalidates mounts would be horrid and I doubt they would do it, the mount skins make more money and the more they add the more we buy ect. A new race just like a new class can be the best kind of hook to pull people into the game, as someone who loves the tengu for their appearance Id love to have them as an option. I understand that some might want the resources spend else where, but realize that we who want a new race feel the same way about raids/mounts ect.
Have a good day and thank you for taking the time to read my post.