Am I the Only One Who Finds the Skyscale Obnoxious? — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Am I the Only One Who Finds the Skyscale Obnoxious?

To start, I don't have the Skyscale so you can enter into this discussion with whatever bias you would like. I started the process of getting it but when met with the currency grind I pretty much stopped playing Guild Wars entirely. Recently, I got back into it for the mystic forge events and I have to say I'm really sick of seeing skyscales. There's so many more than the few I saw when I was still grinding for it. My issue is more with the skyscales whole appeal, the hovering. Every city, wb zone, whatever, is littered with players afk hovering above everyone. I thought at first the hovering mechanic was a pretty sweet but not after seeing 10+ skyscale riders blocking my view of the sky with their hugeass mounts. The wingspan on the skyscale is ridiculous, especially on the new skin. When they're on the ground, no problem. When they're in the sky, say goodbye to your field of view. Ultimately it's not a big deal and this is just whining for the sake of whining(because absolutely nothing will change) but I was just wondering if anyone else was as annoyed by it as well. Thanks

<1

Comments

• mauried.5608mauried.5608 Member ✭✭✭

All mounts create clutter simply because of their size.
    But players kept demanding more mounts so its too late to start complaining about them now.
    As more players get them this problem will only become worse.
    Just live with it.

• Sleepwalker.1398Sleepwalker.1398 Member ✭✭✭

@hostileskeleton.7364 said:
    To start, I don't have the Skyscale so you can enter into this discussion with whatever bias you would like. I started the process of getting it but when met with the currency grind I pretty much stopped playing Guild Wars entirely. Recently, I got back into it for the mystic forge events and I have to say I'm really sick of seeing skyscales. There's so many more than the few I saw when I was still grinding for it. My issue is more with the skyscales whole appeal, the hovering. Every city, wb zone, whatever, is littered with players afk hovering above everyone. I thought at first the hovering mechanic was a pretty sweet but not after seeing 10+ skyscale riders blocking my view of the sky with their hugeass mounts. The wingspan on the skyscale is ridiculous, especially on the new skin. When they're on the ground, no problem. When they're in the sky, say goodbye to your field of view. Ultimately it's not a big deal and this is just whining for the sake of whining(because absolutely nothing will change) but I was just wondering if anyone else was as annoyed by it as well. Thanks

The collection is not hard.
    No one is asking you to do it in 1 day. Just take your time.
    I mainly do wvw and was able to get the mount 6 days ago and all i did was wvw track rewards to get the map currency.
    About afk ppl say for example waiting for Teq, they mostly hover near the turrets looking towards the sea. And its only a handful of ppl.
    If i summoned my griffin on top of where you are standing, you would do 2 things, either move or stay afk.
    If its blocking your view, no one asking you to stand behind them. Just move under or in front of where they hovering.

• The same thing happens any time ANet releases a new wing-themed backpack: wings everywhere for 2-3 weeks and then people get bored and things return back to normal.

The first group of not-early adopters are now getting their skyscales. Some like showing them off. Some just want to amortize their investment by using them as often as possible, whether for good reason or not. So it will probably take longer for the fuss to die down.

Hype is the path to the dark side. Hype leads to unfulfilled expectations. Disappointment leads to anger. Anger leads to disgust. Disgust leads to "oh, new shinies! I'm back!"

• HazyDaisy.4107HazyDaisy.4107 Member ✭✭✭✭

Well, she doesn't eat like a lady, then again most ladies don't either, but, no wouldn't classify Lil smoosh as being obnoxious, even if she is coating everyone around her in spit covered dirt.

[HaHa] Hazardous Hallucination - Sorrows Furnace

• I don't really find them obnoxious. However there is a touch of envy that I do not have one yet. At first I was annoyed at all the things that have to be done and the gold required. Lots of grinding to acquire the gold. That being said, I think it is an accomplishment to have overcome all the obstacles in order to finally get a skyscale. Don't have one yet, but I am getting closer. I too plan on doing some hovering as a boast of completion of this accomplishment to be shared. Enjoy the game everyone.

• zionophir.6845zionophir.6845 Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 13, 2019

well it could develop a "community etiquette". like in naturally laggy places like lion's arch, where we see 80 fps drop from max potential, no skyscale will be seen. not imposed by the program but the people who own a skyscale themselves.

there are instances that are not naturally laggy, like the Triple Double instance, or some other instances (insert here).. there freely summon your skyscale.

and i hope there would be a minigame out of skyscales, like the one in harry potter wherein they chase a little metal while riding on flying brooms.

could be aerial football/lacrosse/hockey or something like that

Guild Wars 2: Your Math Tèacher [MATH]
    Guild Wars 1: Scout of Your Math Teacher [MATH]
    Guild Wars 2: Digital Headhuntaz [aBrA]

• @zionophir.6845 said:
    well it could develop a "community etiquette". like in naturally laggy places like lion's arch, where we see 80 fps drop from max potential, no skyscale will be seen. not imposed by the program but the people who own a skyscale themselves.

I can't imagine that many would choose to do so, after spending all the effort to get a skyscale (and, as we've seen from posts, including the OP's, some people find it a daunting amount of time/fuss/coin). Especially not for people who have decent machines.

Hype is the path to the dark side. Hype leads to unfulfilled expectations. Disappointment leads to anger. Anger leads to disgust. Disgust leads to "oh, new shinies! I'm back!"

• Clyan.1593Clyan.1593 Member ✭✭✭

I don't have the mount yet either, but im about to get it soon.
    But seriously, how do you find the time to get annoyed by something arbitrary like that?
    This game has me grind nonstop and i don't find a chill minute XD

• Dami.5046Dami.5046 Member ✭✭✭✭

Moan all you want, they are in the game and staying, just like the warclaw.

• To be perfectly transparent, I don't have an issue with the fact that they have the mount. I think it's very impressive. It is a challenge that right now is too daunting for me and I respect others who can overcome obstacles that I cannot. The fact that so many have it already and so many continue to get it actually gives me hope that someday I will too. My issue is the same as everyone has complained about a drop in frame rate or just plain eyesore. You can compare this to belligerently-dyed, glowing chars or the other mounts but you can't tell me any of those has had such a large impact on the field of view as the skyscale. Hell, belligerently-dyed glowing skyscale are becoming a thing.
    I understand being proud of the achievement but I never imagined being such a braggart as to go out of my way to show off.

I have no issue with the skyscale itself or anyone that has one. The hovering is a great mechanic for when I am still deciding what to do or where to go and I am really excited to have my own. The experience of the skyscale is just being soured by a select few people.

• Danikat.8537Danikat.8537 Member ✭✭✭✭

Still not as bad as Elder Scrolls Online where you can easily have 4 or 5 sorcerers at the bank, each with a human sized 'pet' flapping constantly, right at eye level. (It is possible to disable them, but many people don't bother.)

I do find it annoying when there's a skyscale low enough down that it's in the way, especially because I can't stand flickering animations when I'm trying to concentrate on something else. But so far I've been able to move away from them or angle the camera so I don't see it. I'm pretty sure once it's not longer the new thing there will be a lot fewer people afk on their skyscale, because that's happened with all the other mounts, and other things like legendaries or new armour skins.

Danielle Aurorel - Desolation EU. Mini Collector.

"I know that I'm born and I know that I'll die, the in-between is mine."

• Ayakaru.6583Ayakaru.6583 Member ✭✭✭✭

They're new, and fancy, people want to show them off. Especially since they were well worth the effort (and money if you got the new skin)
    Just like SAB, they're a craze, after a few weeks you won't see them much anymore

To defeat the dragons, see the good in them.
    Zhaitan reunites lost ones, primordus creates fertile land, mordremoth spreads the green, and jormag..
    ..jormag? Who's that?

• Grim West.3194Grim West.3194 Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 13, 2019

They wasted a lot of time getting their useless AFK SkyBrick. They have to justify it's existence and their efforts.

• Warlord.9082Warlord.9082 Member ✭✭✭

Just go somewhere else.

• Warlord.9082Warlord.9082 Member ✭✭✭

@demitel.1340 said:

@Warlord.9082 said:
    Just go somewhere else.

Yeah, that totally works when you have to Mystic Forge / use bank / craft / etc.

Yes, it does, go to a different one.

• TheGrimm.5624TheGrimm.5624 Member ✭✭✭✭

It will fade, it's just the new thing. We encounter the same kind of thing anytime a new effect is released or a new legendary.

Envy the Madman his musing when Death comes to make fools of us all.
    De Mortuis Nil Nisi Bonum.
    TheGrimm PoTBS/GW1/WAR/Rift/GW2/MWO/ESO/WoT/WoW/D2/HoTS/Civ6/CU/AoC

• Taygus.4571Taygus.4571 Member ✭✭✭✭

@demitel.1340 said:

@Warlord.9082 said:
    Just go somewhere else.

Yeah, that totally works when you have to Mystic Forge / use bank / craft / etc.

by mystic plaza or whatever its called and never see mounts at the bank again.

there's also less in the other cities and theres always obsidian sanctum.

• The new skin made this problem worse, by adding a noticeable trail of light generated by the wing flaps, and by making the wings larger/longer.

• Randulf.7614Randulf.7614 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Vayne.8563 said:
    On the ground I can get attacked in the air I'm safe

I thought that until a choya got me out of the air!

What sleep is here? What dreams there are in the unctuous coiling of the snakes mortal shuffling. weapon in my hand. My hand the arcing deathblow at the end of all things. The horror. The horror. I embrace it. . .

• Menadena.7482Menadena.7482 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Warlord.9082 said:

@demitel.1340 said:

@Warlord.9082 said:
    Just go somewhere else.

A different mystic forge? (no, I am not buying a mystic conduit for the few times I need it)

New to the game? Feel free to give a yell if you need PVE help.

• zionophir.6845zionophir.6845 Member ✭✭✭

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@zionophir.6845 said:

I can't imagine that many would choose to do so, after spending all the effort to get a skyscale (and, as we've seen from posts, including the OP's, some people find it a daunting amount of time/fuss/coin). Especially not for people who have decent machines.

well it will wear out and get old.

there are people who are naturally envious and will trash talk you or indirectly talk about you and your things but with the skyscale's case, it does really make my client graphically lag and when i walk away from them, the lag is reduced.

yeah, im so glad that you got the skyscale but hey, 20++ of you hovering in L.A. is like watching Live Telecasts on Dial-up..

Guild Wars 2: Your Math Tèacher [MATH]
    Guild Wars 1: Scout of Your Math Teacher [MATH]
    Guild Wars 2: Digital Headhuntaz [aBrA]

• Turkeyspit.3965Turkeyspit.3965 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Gop.8713 said:
    Where I disagree is with the ppl who think it's going to go away. Being able to insta-afk anywhere without having to worry about getting into combat while you are gone is a huge benefit and ppl aren't going to stop doing it . . .

I disagree. In WoW all flying mounts can hover indefinitely , and you don't see what the OP is describing. That is the newness of it all, and it will fade.

• Gop.8713Gop.8713 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 13, 2019

@Turkeyspit.3965 said:

@Gop.8713 said:
    Where I disagree is with the ppl who think it's going to go away. Being able to insta-afk anywhere without having to worry about getting into combat while you are gone is a huge benefit and ppl aren't going to stop doing it . . .

I disagree. In WoW all flying mounts can hover indefinitely , and you don't see what the OP is describing. That is the newness of it all, and it will fade.

We'll see I suppose . . .

EDIT: Unless you mean the hovering in places like LA where it's totally unnecessary and carries no benefits. But it also doesn't really hurt anything in places like that either so that's a hard meh . . .

• kratan.4619kratan.4619 Member ✭✭✭

@Menadena.7482 said:

@Warlord.9082 said:

@demitel.1340 said:

@Warlord.9082 said:
    Just go somewhere else.

A different mystic forge? (no, I am not buying a mystic conduit for the few times I need it)

Mystic forge is in your servers keep on your home BG, can always use that one if you really need to go elsewhere.

• I was pretty amazed by the feedback I was getting on this post for being generally agreeable but nothing lasts forever. If you have an abrasive opinion you get abrasive opinions on your opinion. To anyone who feels like people who a.) don't want their frame to drop or b.) don't want to experience eyesore should just go somewhere else, you are severely missing the point. The purpose of this post wasn't to go on a witch hunt for skyscales, it was merely to point out a perceived flaw in design. I don't feel anyone should have to give up their skyscales just because I don't like seeing them flapping their wings constantly, that would be insane. In that same sense, I don't feel as though the quality of my gameplay (framerate/model limit) should suffer just because someone else has a skyscale. I shouldn't have to segregate myself. I shouldn't have to buy a pass to use a MF in another area. I like Lions Arch. I like world boss zones and seeing maps populated by characters and riders. Since this last mystic forge event I have seen more people taking on world bosses than I ever have before and I am absolutely loving it. The maps feel alive. At most, this post was to call some attention to ANet and, as some other users have pointed out, hopefully get an option to make skyscale animation less intense on my system. They aren't going to die down as others have mentioned so something may have to be done about the loss of framerate as skyscales become more and more common. This is the ONLY mount in GW2 that can afk hover so comparing it to WoW is kind of out of the question.
    Ultimately, keep it civil. The only question this post posited was whether I am alone in thinking the skyscales are presently obnoxious and that has been answered. Don't make an kitten out of yourself or anyone else just because you don't agree with one another. I like group discussions like this. I like opening myself up to new perspectives. I don't want ANet to shut this thread down just because people can't respect each others opinions. Thanks

• Naxos.2503Naxos.2503 Member ✭✭✭

The cloud of skyscales near events definitely affect performance, more than other mounts I find, probably because of the dust effect, it Is kind of annoying. On the flip side I really enjoy the mobility (only post third mastery, otherwise it's about as good as a griffon/springer)

• It certainly is obnoxious, but if we survived wing backpacks we will survive this. people are still enamored with their Dragon buddies, eventually the allure will wear of to the point that it's much easier to stand around where you need to be than mount and hover at a specific point, methinks.

[Charr Noises]
    [Plays every class]
    [JUST GIT EVEN GUDDER ITS FINE]

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.