Personal Merchant spam on destabilized nodes (and anything else) — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Personal Merchant spam on destabilized nodes (and anything else)

So, at Shadow Behemoth, a mob of people were standing around for several minutes trying to get the interact with the node to mine it, but couldn't because someone's personal merchant got spawned on it. The use of personal merchants (and dare i say other interact-able items) over nodes/chests/etc., especially the special event ones is sometimes ridiculous. These nodes shouldn't be there, it should be an automatic box drop from doing the boss (just like the bonus box of goods). Trying to get people to back away so you could actually see the node to try and click on it was not working.

Anet needs to make personal merchants and other account only items so they cannot be interacted with by anyone but the owner.

Comments

• Aetheldrake.6395Aetheldrake.6395 Member ✭✭
    edited June 14, 2019

it's not hard whatsoever to click the mining node. but yes, personalized npcs shouldnt even show up to other people

• Daddicus.6128Daddicus.6128 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Aetheldrake.6395 said:
    it's not hard whatsoever to click the mining node. but yes, personalized npcs shouldnt even show up to other people

It's not easy at all to choose the node when there are dozens of players on top of it. If you know of an easy way, I suggest you should document it.

• phs.6089phs.6089 Member ✭✭✭✭

We keep asking to remove that troll tool for ages now. Personal merchant.bank etc.

"There is always a lighthouse, there's always a man, there's always a city."

• @Aetheldrake.6395 said:

it would at least be nice if at least targeting would let you find it, but like the other person said, when a mob of people are on it, you cant find it

• magnusthorek.8027magnusthorek.8027 Member ✭✭
    edited June 14, 2019

I would bet this is not a recent issue, after all, I met GW2 just a few months ago, but I already reported this childish behaviour of blocking the Interact action (F) with objects/NPCs from players dropping other interactable elements right on top or at least very close to what we really want to activate.

When I first reported someone dropped a portable merchant precisely on top of a Mistborn Chest in Dragonfall and I couldn't loot it not even by clicking the chest. This time, while fighting against Golem Mark, a Mesmer dropped a portal very close to the Ley-line mining node. Fortunately, I didn't activate it as I'm sure it would port me somewhere very high causing my character's death, but I accidentally fell in the portal dropped after battling the centaur boss a few minutes earlier (probably the same person).

And accordingly to someone's message in chat —https://imgur.com/bR9e8dH (characters names hidden)—, the same happened against Fire Elemental. I don't know because I went grab some coffee and lost the fight (it was Fire Elemental XD).

• Steve The Cynic.3217Steve The Cynic.3217 Member ✭✭✭✭

@magnusthorek.8027 Mesmer portals can't cause you to teleport "somewhere very high causing your character's death" because the mesmer had to be at that place, not mounted and not gliding and not falling, to cast the other end of the portal. It might be somewhere very high, but you'll be able to stand on something. (It might, however, be a bad idea to move immediately on arrival, because the something might be the top of a skinny pillar.)

@Biff.5312 said:
    Exercise your whimsy.

• Inculpatus cedo.9234Inculpatus cedo.9234 Member ✭✭✭✭

You can always use the 'Next Ally' key(bind) to change the interaction focus.

Good luck.

• Fine, perhaps it was a bad example but I only use someone else's portals in a few JPs and even though just once in a while. In fact, I only mentioned that because after the battle against the centaur boss, my character didn't fully recover HP when I activated the portal that led to the hill behind the camp's gates in such position that made me fell.

Regardless, that's beside the point. Items/skills that yield an activable object should not be allowed to be used if there's another interactable object within a small radius. If it's "beyond players' control" then the spawning routine must do the same check to avoid such frustrating situations.

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:
    You can always use the 'Next Ally' key(bind) to change the interaction focus.

I'll check that, thank you

• Turkeyspit.3965Turkeyspit.3965 Member ✭✭✭✭

Welcome to Tyria!

I'm afraid to tell you, it will only get worse. As The Dark Knight Rises movie coined it, "Some people just want to watch the world burn". Best advice when looting in meta events like this is just take it slow, watch the 'F' prompt to make sure it says "open" or "dissolve" vs. "talk", "use", or "take portal", and just assume there is always going to be a kittenhead in the group with you.

Don't let it detract from your enjoyment of the game that some players have esteem issues that drive them to seek attention, positive or negative, at every turn. Just shrug and move on.

• Trise.2865Trise.2865 Member ✭✭✭✭

If you press and hold "alt", it will highlight visible objects by name. NPC's will always be in green, and Objects will always be orange. Click the name to target it.

If we want ANet to step up their game, then we must step up ours.

• @Turkeyspit.3965 said:

Don't let it detract from your enjoyment of the game that some players have esteem issues that drive them to seek attention, positive or negative, at every turn. Just shrug and move on.

^^^^^^^^^ This

After over 6 years of playing GW2 I've witnessed all manner of behavior some good, some bad, my experiences have been that there are way more good, nice, quality players than the attention seekers, I normally just chock it up to kids being kids, laugh, chuckle, and move on to my next objective.

Best advice I can give you is that if things like this bother you...stay out of PvP and WvW because these areas seem to harbor the highest numbers of the good and bad players at the same time...lol

But by all means just enjoy the game.

• Astralporing.1957Astralporing.1957 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Trise.2865 said:
    If you press and hold "alt", it will highlight visible objects by name. NPC's will always be in green, and Objects will always be orange. Click the name to target it.

As mentioned before, that doesn't really work if the object in question is in the middle of a big mob of players.

The whole point of a social game is to play with the people you want to play with, not be forced to play with the people you don't.

• Trise.2865Trise.2865 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@Trise.2865 said:

As mentioned before, that doesn't really work if the object in question is in the middle of a big mob of players.

Object names will always be over the object. As long as you are looking at it, the name will be center-screen, or close to it... and also orange in a sea of green. If players can't find it, that's on them. Though it is worth considering that loot is supposed to have higher priority than NPCs, so this technique shouldn't be necessary.

Alternatively, Area Loot has a longer range than NPC communication. Standing slightly farther away or from a different direction can still collect the chest without risk. Similarly, though not as easy a fix, Advanced Logistics from the Central Tyria Mastery collects Chest loot automatically, thus bypassing the problem altogether.

If we want ANet to step up their game, then we must step up ours.

• anonymous.7812anonymous.7812 Member ✭✭✭

@Steve The Cynic.3217 said:
    @magnusthorek.8027 Mesmer portals can't cause you to teleport "somewhere very high causing your character's death" because the mesmer had to be at that place, not mounted and not gliding and not falling, to cast the other end of the portal. It might be somewhere very high, but you'll be able to stand on something. (It might, however, be a bad idea to move immediately on arrival, because the something might be the top of a skinny pillar.)

Not exactly true. Mesmers are able to plop that portal out on high slopes causing deaths if people don't deploy their gliders. Very popular spot was above the banks when new Lion's Arch came out, before gliding. I will confess I did it a couple times.

• Inculpatus cedo.9234Inculpatus cedo.9234 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Trise.2865 said:

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@Trise.2865 said:

Object names will always be over the object. As long as you are looking at it, the name will be center-screen, or close to it... and also orange in a sea of green. If players can't find it, that's on them. Though it is worth considering that loot is supposed to have higher priority than NPCs, so this technique shouldn't be necessary.

Alternatively, Area Loot has a longer range than NPC communication. Standing slightly farther away or from a different direction can still collect the chest without risk. Similarly, though not as easy a fix, Advanced Logistics from the Central Tyria Mastery collects Chest loot automatically, thus bypassing the problem altogether.

Except it's not loot the OP is addressing, it's a mining node and the interact is 'Mine'. So, no 'Auto-loot', or any kind of 'loot interaction' involved.

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.