Screen is getting to cluttered. — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Screen is getting to cluttered.

I'm finding it difficult to target and see some things because of screen clutter.The toy button is annoying and would like to be able to move it out of the way or turn it off ,Other things are the pops ups like skill definitions and loot boxes right in the middle of the screen .Not good things to happen in combat.Being able to disable some of these things would be a great help .

Comments

• Gop.8713Gop.8713 Member ✭✭✭✭

dunno if it's a help but I set my novelty icon to the endless friendship tonic so at least it doesn't screw up combat if I hit it by accident . . .

I'd really like to have a means to completely close all the event notifications on the right, though then we'd need a 'restore all' function as well . . .

• Aeolus.3615Aeolus.3615 Member ✭✭✭✭

But those are the game improvements that maters at Anet.

• cptaylor.2670cptaylor.2670 Member ✭✭✭✭

The ui is a bit fussy. I never really use the novelty tab to be honest. And I think the mount could be better with an ingame version of radial mounts. Maybe you set a keybind, and then select which mount you want. But that's only two smaller buttons.

Then we have f skills, regular skills, and nameplates. I leave achievements up so that adds to the clutter, event text to the right.

I don't really have any suggestions for it. It's still better than what I was used to with WoW though due to the way the skills are limited.

• Inculpatus cedo.9234Inculpatus cedo.9234 Member ✭✭✭✭

Skill tool-tips only appear if you mouse over/click them (try keys/keybinds instead); and you can right-click loot boxes to avoid the screen.

Good luck.

• @ZeroTheCat.2684 said:
    I agree. Anet has gone overboard with the graphical effects and it needs to be toned down. Not to mention the lag fest this game becomes with 10+ chars on screen because of this.

If you have lag with just 10 players on screen, then its your crappy computers fault, not Anets.

Golemancer Tixx - Far Shiverpeaks (EU). Achievement Hunter (+35k) ~750 on the AP Leaderboards.

• Zaklex.6308Zaklex.6308 Member ✭✭✭✭

@WhatLiesBeneath.9018 said:

@ZeroTheCat.2684 said:
    I agree. Anet has gone overboard with the graphical effects and it needs to be toned down. Not to mention the lag fest this game becomes with 10+ chars on screen because of this.

If you have lag with just 10 players on screen, then its your crappy computers fault, not Anets.

Correction, it's either the computer or their internet connection and routing in that case...or it could be a combination of the two.

Yes...no...maybe...what do you want, can't you see I'm busy saving the world...AGAIN!

• Honestly, Anet should just create a blanket toggle option to hide ALL other player generated models, visual effects and sounds (except player nameplate) - so essentially it looks like you're playing a single player RPG except you still have the green player names floating around.

Heck, they should include a quality setting called "Potato Computer" that even hides enemy NPC generated visual spell effects and sounds!

• Eloc Freidon.5692Eloc Freidon.5692 Member ✭✭✭✭

My problem is encountering mobs so big (legendary hydra) that you can't see the stop/go mechanic. It could be above the screen when you are trying to keep an eye on AoEs or hidden behind the health bar.

Damage is always an issue. Am I target the boss or an enemy off screen because I mouse clicked a mob while rotating the screen?

• Ayrilana.1396Ayrilana.1396 Member ✭✭✭✭

@CJH.2879 said:
    I have noticed that FPS is becoming more of an issue with the introduction of the new mount, alot of animations going on at same time is significantly starting to affect gameplay more & more (when they are airborne). Not sure if anyone else is having issues? In town or while out and about its not so bad but during world boss events it becomes more of an issue then ever before.

It’s because of those weekly special events (e.g. world boss rush, meta event rush, and this week’s) which is why things are laggy for a portion of the players. It’s not because of the mount.

@Mokk.2397 said:
    I'm finding it difficult to target and see some things because of screen clutter.The toy button is annoying and would like to be able to move it out of the way or turn it off ,Other things are the pops ups like skill definitions and loot boxes right in the middle of the screen .Not good things to happen in combat.Being able to disable some of these things would be a great help .

All of those are only an issue for mouse-clickers who are not using hotkeys. Loot boxes can be sent to your inventory except for the ‘choosy’ ones by right clicking them.

• Poormany.4507Poormany.4507 Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 14, 2019

@Mokk.2397 said:

Agreed, no idea why novelties even have their own button (I almost never use them), especially one that everyone is forced to have rather than just a keybound shortcut.

Combat is getting laggier and laggier, and also more cluttered, with every new mount that is released, and even my best graphics setting/high speed internet PC is lagging heavily whenever mobs like the ones in the screenshots above, oftentimes also with griffons and now skyscales flying all over, take place. Adding a hide player mounts, mount skins, and/or mount animations setting would greatly reduce the lag/screen clutter.

• Teon.5168Teon.5168 Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 15, 2019

@ZeroTheCat.2684 said:

@WhatLiesBeneath.9018 said:

@ZeroTheCat.2684 said:

My computer is state of the art and I have 100Mbit up and down. There is nothing wrong with my hardware. This game is poorly optimized right now and eeveryone knows it. Stop being such a fanboi and try to bring something to the discussion.. ^^

You are correct in that the game's graphic engine is kitten. Try lowering your 2 character boxes in the graphics options to medium or low. That will usually result in a good improvement to your fps, without much impact to the look of the game.

• Blocki.4931Blocki.4931 Member ✭✭✭✭

Try a different gamemode if that is too much for you. That is exclusively an open world problem. If you want to play that, turn down your graphics. Everything gets messy once there are 50+ players hitting the same enemy.

Smugly chuckling forever.
    My sentence doesn't make sense? Well, I probably forgot to write half of it before posting.

• wanya.1697wanya.1697 Member ✭✭✭

yeah its rly bad in bigger fights Effect LoD option helps abit but in that case not everything is rendered so you might miss important skills too

• That's what AA gaming in 2019 is..flash bang and RNG, while several people mash buttons off countdown.. it literally describes 90% of the popular games out there as a gameplay.

• Hashberry.4510Hashberry.4510 Member ✭✭✭

Its a huge drawback. I can't see them fixing the engine, so it is what it is. :'(

• CJH.2879CJH.2879 Member ✭✭✭

@Ayrilana.1396 said:
    It’s because of those weekly special events (e.g. world boss rush, meta event rush, and this week’s) which is why things are laggy for a portion of the players. It’s not because of the mount.

Trust me it IS THE NEW MOUNTS FLYING ANIMATIONS that are causing problems. Before skyscales were in the game (and flying around during any boss event regardless of any special events going on), most bosses (other then the MAW) were relatively smooth (MAWs always been bad because of the swirly ice thingys everywhere). I've only noticed a difference after skyscales started appearing & flying around during boss events. The more of them in the air the greater the affect on FPS & gameplay. I've always had my graphics on medium to low & even that doesn't seem to help anymore.

• Inculpatus cedo.9234Inculpatus cedo.9234 Member ✭✭✭✭

I'm not sure World Boss trains have been as popular as they have been recently, and these recent events have taken place after the introduction of the Skyscale.

• Grim West.3194Grim West.3194 Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 15, 2019

Yeah, the eye garhage has gotten out of hand in this game. Had to install Yolo mouse a couple of years ago just to survive.

It's gotten so bad I don't really like playing GW2 much anymore in large encounters. My gear can handle it. Have a monster rig and high frame rates all of the time.

But the screen just looks like puke in GW2.

• MrRuin.9740MrRuin.9740 Member ✭✭✭

@Heraldusluminare.2946 said:

Heck, they should include a quality setting called "Potato Computer" that even hides enemy NPC generated visual spell effects and sounds!

I played an MMO that had this button on the UI, right above the HP meter. I mean, it wasn't called that, but one press and the game would go absolute minimum settings. Press again and it would go back to whatever you had set before.
    It actually was super handy to press right before world bosses and then again to go back afterwards without even bringing up a menu.

• Graphic effects are imo increasingly becoming a problem. Not only in terms of FPS (yea, ok, might blame my crappy computer for that), but especially in terms of blocking out the relevant things. The skyscale - much as I like it especially to get to places or even to put in some afk-time without having to resort to a guild hall or the like - for me is becoming increasingly annoying - especially with people fluttering in the middle of the action at the current boss event bonus. In some places it is almost impossible to see what is going on because the entire screen is just covered with either fluttering wings (if you zoom out) or various graphic effects (if you zoom in). It would be great to have an option to turn player 'animation' off.

• Blocki.4931Blocki.4931 Member ✭✭✭✭

Friendly reminder that complaining about nametags doesn't make much sense since we already have options to remove them or reduce them to simple dots in WvW.

Smugly chuckling forever.
    My sentence doesn't make sense? Well, I probably forgot to write half of it before posting.

• LucianDK.8615LucianDK.8615 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 15, 2019

@Blocki.4931 said:
    Friendly reminder that complaining about nametags doesn't make much sense since we already have options to remove them or reduce them to simple dots in WvW.

Which we have no option in open world pve. That is the issue. Zergs is incredibly bloated with nametag spam.

• Linken.6345Linken.6345 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 15, 2019

@LucianDK.8615 said:

@Blocki.4931 said:

Which we have no option in open world pve. That is the issue. Zergs is incredibly bloated with nametag spam.

We can take away both friendly and unfriendly name tags in pve

• Plok.5873Plok.5873 Member ✭✭✭

I've been cryi... calling for both an FX reduction + GUI overhaul forever. So have many others, since launch. E.g., reducing the particle effects in size, brightnes and/or opacity, moving or hiding GUI elements and switching off some animations. The boon/condition icons, otoh, could be larger.

All that seems rather trivial, but apparently profound reasons against it exist. Perhaps the GUI is hard-coded and the source code left along with a member of staff? Merely guessing, ofc.

@LucianDK.8615 said:
    Zergs is incredibly bloated with nametag spam.

Color-coded, vertical HP bars with a class icon on top worked better in another MMORPG.

@Linken.6345 said:

@LucianDK.8615 said:

@Blocki.4931 said:

please tell me how, never been able to find anything!

• Ryukai.6524Ryukai.6524 Member ✭✭
    edited June 15, 2019

@LucianDK.8615 said:

@Linken.6345 said:

@LucianDK.8615 said:

@Blocki.4931 said:

Open up the options, right infront of you near the top of the 'tick' list theres 2 options, 'Show all Player Names' 'Show all NPC Names', just untick them. (Player Pets use the NPC option)

I turn them off whilst doing the WB runs then turn them back on after :) I also go into the Graphics option and turn the character limit down to medium (less players onscreen = Less spell clutter on screen), then back to high once done.

The one thing I want more than anything else is to turn off ability tooltips, some of those cover the ENTIRE top to bottom of the screen and prevent you from seeing anything >< Come on ANET it's 2019, this options been in other games for DECADES!

@Ryukai.6524 said:

@LucianDK.8615 said:

@Linken.6345 said:

@LucianDK.8615 said:

@Blocki.4931 said:

Open up the options, right infront of you near the top of the 'tick' list theres 2 options, 'Show all Player Names' 'Show all NPC Names', just untick them. (Player Pets use the NPC option)

I turn them off whilst doing the WB runs then turn them back on after :) I also go into the Graphics option and turn the character limit down to medium (less players onscreen = Less spell clutter on screen), then back to high once done.

The one thing I want more than anything else is to turn off ability tooltips, some of those cover the ENTIRE top to bottom of the screen and prevent you from seeing anything >< Come on ANET it's 2019, this options been in other games for DECADES!

Problem is that it works when NOT in a group. But as soon I go in a group nameplates appears.

• Ashantara.8731Ashantara.8731 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 16, 2019

@Mokk.2397 said:
    Other things are the pops ups like skill definitions and loot boxes right in the middle of the screen .Not good things to happen in combat.Being able to disable some of these things would be a great help .

So much this! :+1: Been asking for tooltip adjustment features for years now. But this usually starts a "Stop being a clicker" discussion, as if that's the only reason a tooltip might block your sight in the middle of combat. You can accidentally mouse over those as well, or over elements other than the skills (if you accidentally click on the XP bar, for instance, it will pop up your Masteries window). And how many times have I accidentally hit the Novelties instead of the Mount icon myself (I right-click the Mount icon to quickly switch between mounts as I don't see a reason to waste keybinds for this, plus the number of mounts keeps growing and my number of keys is limited ;) ).

Anyway, I think we all can agree that adding more convenience to the UI by adding options and customization wouldn't hurt. The graphical effects clutter is bad enough, we don't need the UI to add more inconvenience to combat.

• Cuks.8241Cuks.8241 Member ✭✭✭

The WvW dot thingie nameplate should be also implented for open world squad. And give us the option to completely hide the nameplate of squad. Having 40 nameplates on the screen really destroys the immersion. It is open world, we don't need that info at all.
    Lately I've noticed in big groups that my computer is just cutting away characters, maybe even NPCs. They disappear and than pop back in. It is really getting out of hand. I don't have the latest PC but haven't had an issue until lately at all with highest settings for most. Now I am just reducing details everywhere and is still getting worse.

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.