Are Mastery Points mostly from jump and glide puzzles?

How the heck do you get Mastery Points? Every time I see one it is in some impossibly high place and I see no way to get there. A YouTube video will show me I have to go all over creation to jump, glide, and leap perfectly to get it. Are they all like this? Holy cow its a pain. Do I need to dedicate a weekend to just following YouTube vids? Or is there another way - a map or something that gives clues on where they are and how to get them?

Thanks all - I still have a lot to learn :)

There are many mastery points you can get from doing the story, with mastery points awarded after each chapter the first time it is played. There are also many you can get from achievements. If you look in your Achievements panel in the Hero window, any achievement that can award a mastery point is marked with a picture of the mastery point in the appropriate color (Tyria red, HoT green, PoF purple.)

But yeah, most of the ones you can just interact with in the map are in hard-to-get-to places. It would not require any sort of 'mastery' if they weren't.

The vast majority of Mastery Points are 'commune' points, which is the good news. The bad news though, is they tend to put them in way off and hard to reach places, but depending on where you are, it will determine what you need to get there.

For instance, Core Tyria Mastery Insights do not require gliding or mounts to obtain. They make it EASIER, but aren't required.HoT mastery points would require Gliding and likely some other HoT masteries to be complete.PoF mastery points can require certain mounts and mastery points to be complete, for instance Jackal + Sand Portal.

In HoT maps especially there are regular Hero Point / Mastery trains, where a commander leads the squad around the map to capture all the Hero and Mastery points. Very often led by a Mesmer (for portals), you usually only need basic gliding, but the commander will make it clear what is required before starting.