Mount Genders

DanAlcedo.3281

Let me preface by saying these are magical beasts, which don't necessarily adhere to real-world behaviors or characteristics, and can be whichever you choose them to be.

Gorrik addresses Petey (the Rollerbeetle) as a male, but admits beetles are difficult to gender. Real-world beetle females usually have visible egg-laying structures, which are not outwardly visible on Petey, so this assumption holds up.

The Griffin is most likely female, because it is attracted by and found tending to the nests and eggs. This is consistent with real-world birds' behaviors, though both males and females are known to nest while the other hunts, depending on the species.

The Jackal is a magical construct and has no specific gender.

The Raptor, compared to real-world lizards, exhibits both male and female characteristics. However, horns and spikes tend to be male characteristics more often than not (with several notable exceptions, such as many chameleon species).

The Skimmer appears to possess claspers, small appendages near the underbelly gills, which are the male sex organ in real-world mantas. Though, these appendages also appear to aid in its levitation, so it's difficult to say definitively.

The Springer, like real-world rabbits, shows no outward biological or behavioral signs. It would take a much closer examination to determine its gender. However, the fact that there are no visible signs, even in high activity, may indicate the Springer is female.

@Trise.2865 said:Let me preface by saying these are magical beasts, which don't necessarily adhere to real-world behaviors or characteristics, and can be whichever you choose them to be.

Gorrik addresses Petey (the Rollebeetle) as a male, but admits beetles are difficult to gender. Real-world beetle females usually have visible egg-laying structures, which are not outwardly visible on Petey, so this assumption holds up.

The Griffin is most likely female, because it is attracted by and found tending to the nests and eggs. This is consistent with real-world birds' behaviors, though both males and females are known to nest while the other hunts, depending on the species.

The Raptor, compared to real-world lizards, exhibits both male and female characteristics. However, horns and spikes tend to be male characteristics more often than not (with several notable exceptions, such as many chameleon species).

The Skimmer appears to possess claspers, small appendages near the underbelly gills, which are the male sex organ in real-world mantas. Though, these appendages also appear to aid in its levitation, so it's difficult to say definitively.

The Springer, like real-world rabbits, shows no outward biological or behavioral signs. It would take a much closer examination to determine its gender. However, the fact that there are no visible signs, even in high activity, may indicate the Springer is female.

I've taken care of real world rabbit. The males hump anything that doesn't move faster than they do. I'm guessing the Springer is female specifically because it exhibits no behavioral signs.

We've added a Warclaw and a Skyscale since then. The Warclaw, like the Jackal, is a magical beast and is therefor genderless. And as discussed above the Skyscale is female (although given the magical origin of the beast it may be genderless and reproduce asexually)

Do we have something like a Pokeball that we store these animals in? I mean we can pretty much pull a rabbit out of the proverbial hat. This very much supports the supposition that they are all magical in nature and are perhaps just magical copies of real world animals and are thus genderless.

I'll admit, I forgot all about the Warclaw. It is indeed a being coalesced from the essence of The Mists, and is similar to, but distinct from, the Jackal (which is a bound Elemental by nature). Beings from The Mists have no specified gender.

@Nol Fran Shee.1285 said:

Do we have something like a Pokeball that we store these animals in? I mean we can pretty much pull a rabbit out of the proverbial hat. This very much supports the supposition that they are all magical in nature and are perhaps just magical copies of real world animals and are thus genderless.

Though the exact mechanism is obscured by game mechanics (they appear under you because it's a transformation, not a true vehicle), it is reasonable to assume the animals are wandering about on their own - as they do in their respective Ranches or nesting areas - and come to you when you call... perhaps with a kind of summoning spell, like Link calling Epona, or Gandalf summoning Shadowfax. There is nothing indicating the creatures themselves are magical in nature. Extraordinary, for sure, but not necessarily magical.

The obvious exceptions to this are the Jackal and Warclaw, which are definitively magical, and do simply materialize when called upon and vanish when dismissed.

I would presume that unless explicitly stated, mounts can be either gender. The commander's skyscale is female, and Petey (the commander's roller beetle) is male. Jackal is an elemental and thus genderless, and the griffon, warclaw, springer, skimmer, and raptor aren't stated.

Warclaw is a spirit yes, but the spirit of a large cat bound to the armor, so techincally yes it would have had a gender in life.

@derd.6413 said:why does it matter?

This forum is frequently visited by role-players. I assume some might be interested about the canon status before they might address it in their rp? Besides, what is wrong with asking about the sex of our mounts? Since I don’t see a reason not to ask this, do we really need a reason why it should matter?

@Nikolai.3648 said:

This forum is frequently visited by role-players. I assume some might be interested about the canon status before they might address it in their rp? Besides, what is wrong with asking about the sex of our mounts? Since I don’t see a reason not to ask this, do we really need a reason why it should matter?

if you're RPing it doesn't matter since we could only know the gender of the commanders mount. so unless there's some dimorphism between the 2 genders of the mount species (which there isn't) you can give any mount any gender you want. also knowing the reason why somebody asks allows me to give a better response 90% of the time

@Nol Fran Shee.1285 said:

@Trise.2865 said:Let me preface by saying these are magical beasts, which don't necessarily adhere to real-world behaviors or characteristics, and can be whichever you choose them to be.

Gorrik addresses Petey (the
Rollebeetle
) as a male, but admits beetles are difficult to gender. Real-world beetle females usually have visible egg-laying structures, which are not outwardly visible on Petey, so this assumption holds up.

The
Griffin
is most likely female, because it is attracted by and found tending to the nests and eggs. This is consistent with real-world birds' behaviors, though both males and females are known to nest while the other hunts, depending on the species.

The
Jackal
is a magical construct and has no specific gender.

The
Raptor
, compared to real-world lizards, exhibits both male and female characteristics. However, horns and spikes tend to be male characteristics more often than not (with several notable exceptions, such as many chameleon species).

The
Skimmer
appears to possess claspers, small appendages near the underbelly gills, which are the male sex organ in real-world mantas. Though, these appendages also appear to aid in its levitation, so it's difficult to say definitively.

The
Springer
, like real-world rabbits, shows no outward biological or behavioral signs. It would take a much closer examination to determine its gender. However, the fact that there are no visible signs, even in high activity, may indicate the Springer is female.

I've taken care of real world rabbit. The males hump anything that doesn't move faster than they do. I'm guessing the Springer is female specifically because it exhibits no behavioral signs.

We've added a
Warclaw
and a
Skyscale
since then. The Warclaw, like the Jackal, is a magical beast and is therefor genderless. And as discussed above the Skyscale is female (although given the magical origin of the beast it may be genderless and reproduce asexually)

We don't know the skyscale is female. We know the first ones that laid the eggs were, but we're dealing with something that's hatched and to my knowledge our skyscales have not laid eggs.

@Vayne.8563 said:

Rollebeetle
) as a male, but admits beetles are difficult to gender. Real-world beetle females usually have visible egg-laying structures, which are not outwardly visible on Petey, so this assumption holds up.

The
Griffin
is most likely female, because it is attracted by and found tending to the nests and eggs. This is consistent with real-world birds' behaviors, though both males and females are known to nest while the other hunts, depending on the species.

The
Jackal

The
Raptor
, compared to real-world lizards, exhibits both male and female characteristics. However, horns and spikes tend to be male characteristics more often than not (with several notable exceptions, such as many chameleon species).

The
Skimmer
appears to possess claspers, small appendages near the underbelly gills, which are the male sex organ in real-world mantas. Though, these appendages also appear to aid in its levitation, so it's difficult to say definitively.

The
Springer
, like real-world rabbits, shows no outward biological or behavioral signs. It would take a much closer examination to determine its gender. However, the fact that there are no visible signs, even in high activity, may indicate the Springer is female.

We've added a
Warclaw
and a
Skyscale
since then. The Warclaw, like the Jackal, is a magical beast and is therefor genderless. And as discussed above the Skyscale is female (although given the magical origin of the beast it may be genderless and reproduce asexually)

We don't know the skyscale is female. We know the first ones that laid the eggs were, but we're dealing with something that's hatched and to my knowledge our skyscales have not laid eggs.

Gorrik specificly calls our hatched skyscale a she

It's clear that she was quick to imprint, and she's chosen you.

@derd.6413 said:

if you're RPing it doesn't matter since we could only know the gender of the commanders mount.

Pretty much this. In the RP circles I frequent, no one would be interested in ANet imposing a single 'canon' sex on all of our mounts. In practice, the only purpose it'd serve is opening the door to calling out those who didn't get the memo and are persisting in using the 'wrong' sex, and those sorts of interactions are generally self-defeating. No one walks away feeling like they had a good time.

@derd.6413 said:

Rollebeetle

The
Griffin

The
Jackal

The
Raptor

The
Skimmer

The
Springer

We've added a
Warclaw
and a
Skyscale

Gorrik specificly calls our hatched skyscale a she

It's clear that she was quick to imprint, and she's chosen you.

Good point. Thanks for that. :)

@Aaron Ansari.1604 said:In practice, the only purpose it'd serve is opening the door to calling out those who didn't get the memo and are persisting in using the 'wrong' sex, and those sorts of interactions are generally self-defeating. No one walks away feeling like they had a good time.

I can definitely understand this concern, but this is a problem of the community, not a reason to halter the acquisition of knowledge. Questions like this:

however easily come across as an attempt to shut someone down by requiring them to give you a solid reason for why they would want to know something. It immediately gets people into a defense mode. If you are really interested into answering the question, it is generally helpful to word this differently.

It doesn't, but it's a fun thought experiment, and leads to learning more about biology!

I would also point out that a number of skins, most notably Raptor skins, drastically change the mount's characteristics, and can skew differently towards maleness or femaleness.

@Trise.2865 said:

It doesn't, but it's a fun thought experiment, and leads to learning more about biology!

I would also point out that a number of skins, most notably Raptor skins, drastically change the mount's characteristics, and can skew differently towards maleness or femaleness.

pretty sure those are diffrent species and not genders

I'd like to think, being on par with an MMO that it should be the players choice to decide aspects like thatWhile there is instances of the story making a gender cannon, you don't necessarily have to pay attention to that.

in instances like Gorrik, on one had it's nice to be assigned something, but in turn it kinda puts things on the record in a solid story perspective, which is a huge loss for the previously mentioned freedom of choice.

in reality, I'd like to think it would be suggested that you would be encouraged to decide for yourself

Gorrik addresses Petey (the Rollerbeetle) as a male, but admits beetles are difficult to gender. Real-world beetle females usually have visible egg-laying structures, which are not outwardly visible on Petey, so this assumption holds up.

AFAIK, only skyscale, Petey, and raptor are given genders.

Raptor is referred to as female during Small Victory in side dialogue. Gorrik refers to Petey as a male, and the skyscale as female.

Most mounts and beasts of burden in rl tend to be female or castrated males so as to be more manageable, so most mounts and other beasts of burden in Tyria are no doubt the same. Not all, of course, just most.

@"Larynkir.6130" said:I'd like to think, being on par with an MMO that it should be the players choice to decide aspects like thatWhile there is instances of the story making a gender cannon, you don't necessarily have to pay attention to that.

in instances like Gorrik, on one had it's nice to be assigned something, but in turn it kinda puts things on the record in a solid story perspective, which is a huge loss for the previously mentioned freedom of choice.

in reality, I'd like to think it would be suggested that you would be encouraged to decide for yourself

TBH, the story lost its freedom of choice immediately after the PS.

"This is my story." was only true for the first five chapters, in all honesty. And I'm not talking about incorrect claims of saladbowl taking the spotlight.

"Konig Des Todes.2086" said:

TBH, the story lost its freedom of choice immediately after the PS.

"This is my story." was only true for the first five chapters, in all honesty. And I'm not talking about incorrect claims of saladbowl taking the spotlight.This is true and it makes me sad. =(

@"Konig Des Todes.2086" said:Most mounts and beasts of burden in rl tend to be female or castrated males so as to be more manageable, so most mounts and other beasts of burden in Tyria are no doubt the same. Not all, of course, just most.

Yet one exception is really significant here. The trained warhorse, the one that was used in battle, was often a stallion with all their parts attached for several reasons.For one, it's beneficial that a warhorse has access to high levels of testosterone in order to get them to charge a line of soldiers. Secondly, a horse is a social animal, and their herds have an alpha male. Having that alpha male leading the charge makes the others more likely to follow their lead.Also a famous war stallion was worth its weight in gold as a sire. Warhorses weren't meant to be used for transportation because they were temperamental, and were often "adrenaline junkies".

You could say that all of the commanders mounts are also combat mounts.Ofc there is also the fact that horse psychology can't be directly applied to raptors, griffins, etc.

@"Yannir.4132" said:You could say that all of the commanders mounts are also combat mounts.Ofc there is also the fact that horse psychology can't be directly applied to raptors, griffins, etc.

There's also the fact that most of the mounts that the Commander gets aren't from army trainers, but farmers. They're not war raptors, but riding raptors, etc. The exceptions here being the four "exotic" mounts - griffon, rollerbeetle, warclaw, and skyscale.

What you mention would hold greater sway over the Cavalier's raptors, or the Awakened's wurms and Beastmarshal's mounted troops. But not necessarily for the Commander's mounts.