Hearts and Minds: Awful, buggy, and just awful

Seriously. Who thought this mission design was a good idea? Gimmick fights can be an interesting way to mix it up, but this one is just awful, particularly the way you can't restart a fight from a checkpoint. By awful, I mean, last portapotty on the last day of Burning Man would be more fun. I mean, if you WANT people to ragequit and buy no further expansions, then I suppose it's a good design... Or if you want to be the Uwe Boll of game design, than yeah, sure, by all means, make more storyline fights like this. I'll try this again later if I can find a guildy or something, but I'm really not feeling the fun here, and I'm experiencing some profound buyer's remorse. Next DLC, I'm definitely waiting until I see if the storyline is loaded with craptastic events like this before I even consider touching it. No pre-order for certain. Gonna go melt midgets in Borderlands until I'm feeling a little less hate.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@paynesgrey.8932 said:Seriously. Who thought this mission design was a good idea? Gimmick fights can be an interesting way to mix it up, but this one is just awful, particularly the way you can't restart a fight from a checkpoint. By awful, I mean, last portapotty on the last day of Burning Man would be more fun. I mean, if you WANT people to ragequit and buy no further expansions, then I suppose it's a good design... Or if you want to be the Uwe Boll of game design, than yeah, sure, by all means, make more storyline fights like this. I'll try this again later if I can find a guildy or something, but I'm really not feeling the fun here, and I'm experiencing some profound buyer's remorse. Next DLC, I'm definitely waiting until I see if the storyline is loaded with craptastic events like this before I even consider touching it. No pre-order for certain. Gonna go melt midgets in Borderlands until I'm feeling a little less hate.

What's your build? There's 10 different things that could have gone wrong so instead of blaming on the game, what about looking to improve yourself first? This is the final boss of the expansion afterall, it should have some difficulty.

It is indeed not one of my favorite missions, I think I only finished HoT twice, and the second time by accident because I forgot how bad this last mission was. I almost quit when I recognized it, but decided to give it a try. It is terrible if you run a conditions build :P

@Warscythes.9307 said:

@"paynesgrey.8932" said:Seriously. Who thought this mission design was a good idea? Gimmick fights can be an interesting way to mix it up, but this one is just awful, particularly the way you can't restart a fight from a checkpoint. By awful, I mean, last portapotty on the last day of Burning Man would be more fun. I mean, if you WANT people to ragequit and buy no further expansions, then I suppose it's a good design... Or if you want to be the Uwe Boll of game design, than yeah, sure, by all means, make more storyline fights like this. I'll try this again later if I can find a guildy or something, but I'm really not feeling the fun here, and I'm experiencing some profound buyer's remorse. Next DLC, I'm definitely waiting until I see if the storyline is loaded with craptastic events like this before I even consider touching it. No pre-order for certain. Gonna go melt midgets in Borderlands until I'm feeling a little less hate.

What's your build? There's 10 different things that could have gone wrong so instead of blaming on the game, what about looking to improve yourself first? This is the final boss of the expansion afterall, it should have some difficulty.

I don't have a problem with "some difficulty" or "X or Y strategy works best." Learning the one specific, specialized, super-min-maxed build for a single specific fight is another matter. Instant heals on blighted gram or enemies taking no damage regardless of bar-status isn't a playstyle issue. See above, "Git gud!"

@paynesgrey.8932 said:

@paynesgrey.8932 said:Seriously. Who thought this mission design was a good idea? Gimmick fights can be an interesting way to mix it up, but this one is just awful, particularly the way you can't restart a fight from a checkpoint. By awful, I mean, last portapotty on the last day of Burning Man would be more fun. I mean, if you WANT people to ragequit and buy no further expansions, then I suppose it's a good design... Or if you want to be the Uwe Boll of game design, than yeah, sure, by all means, make more storyline fights like this. I'll try this again later if I can find a guildy or something, but I'm really not feeling the fun here, and I'm experiencing some profound buyer's remorse. Next DLC, I'm definitely waiting until I see if the storyline is loaded with craptastic events like this before I even consider touching it. No pre-order for certain. Gonna go melt midgets in Borderlands until I'm feeling a little less hate.

I don't have a problem with "some difficulty" or "X or Y strategy works best." Learning the one specific, specialized, super-min-maxed build for a single specific fight is another matter. Instant heals on blighted gram or enemies taking no damage regardless of bar-status isn't a playstyle issue. See above, "Git gud!"

Yes is a playstyle issue? I don't think you realize this but you are playing guild wars where you can come up with a lot of different builds. Not all builds are equal and some are outright awful. This is not wow or ffxiv where you can just level up to max and still do decently well because there is very minimal customization. So yes if you want to get better, understand how to build your character correctly is one of the most essential things in the game. If you are not willing to adapt to fights based on the situation then this is definitely not the game for you. Why else do you think there are so many options to choose from if not for you to change based on fights?

So if you could post your build, that would be great. Blighted garm healing to full sounds definitely like an issue with your damage output so you probably have both a build and rotational issue as well. If you are not willing to admit that the issue might be with you instead of the boss, then I don't know what to tell you.

If you used a less salty tone you might find people willing to offer you proper advice.

@paynesgrey.8932 said:

Yes is a playstyle issue? I don't think you realize this but you are playing guild wars where you can come up with a lot of different builds. Not all builds are equal and some are outright awful. This is not wow or ffxiv where you can just level up to max and still do decently well because there is very minimal customization. So yes if you want to get better, understand how to build your character correctly is one of the most essential things in the game. If you are not willing to adapt to fights based on the situation then this is definitely not the game for you. Why else do you think there are so many options to choose from if not for you to change based on fights?

So if you could post your build, that would be great. Blighted garm healing to full sounds definitely like an issue with your damage output so you probably have both a build and rotational issue as well. If you are not willing to admit that the issue might be with you instead of the boss, then I don't know what to tell you.

Honestly sounds more like hes not understanding that garm healing is a fight mechanic and you're supposed to dps eir while garm is getting healed.

@Shikaru.7618 said:

Honestly sounds more like hes not understanding that garm healing is a fight mechanic and you're supposed to dps eir while garm is getting healed.

I figure he's just not killing Eir fast enough before garm healing up too many times.

The only truly horrible thing I remember from doing this mission was doing it with friends who had been through before me and having an instance exit spot right smack dab in the middle of the arena for Mordy's fight. It's been a few years since I last did it, so I don't know if that's been dealt with since then, but beware of playing with a buddy OP...

@Warscythes.9307 said:

I appreciate the info. I'd been going ax/torch berserker, with a rifle because that generally just works better for me than a bow for kiting. Gonna try again with a mace since it has more handy CC for blue bar busting, but that'll be un-fun because I've pretty much never used a mace at any point in the game. Fortunately I've got one that's just been taking up inventory space, same with a bow.

I'm perfectly happy adjusting my playstyle, slotting different skills, etc, to match different circumstances. What has me tweaking right now is that Garm's healing to full was an instant heal. Like under a second after he fell, with Eir's bar not even switching to blue so I could whomp on her. Heck, she was still running over to him when boom, he was back on his feet at full health. Happened a couple times in a couple fights. And that cutscene disconnect bug... I got that earlier in the season, looked up the work arounds, applied them. While it mostly mitigated the issue, they didn't eliminate it. And wouldn't you know it, off all the missions to crash/disconnect on so you have to slog through the yard trash and unskippable dialogue... well, let's just call that a cherry on top of the frustration sundae.

That, and I really just hate gimmick fights. It's one thing when a particular strategy or useful tool is alluded in useful dialogue, but I don't like it when it's "Here's your salad tongs, pull out a guess as to what the dev is thinking."

@paynesgrey.8932 said:

@zealex.9410 said:I like that the final boss of an expansion and an elder dragon wipes the group and you have to restart the fight when u all die.

Especially when you have to repeat all the earlier steps due to a disconnect and the cutscene crash bug.

This. :disappointed:

I’ve done this story on about 12 characters and 4 of them have encountered a bug or lag, failed, and had to restart back from 100% HP. This is one of my least favorite story missions in the game, due to its boring repetitive nature and how buggy it is. Even Victory or Death went without a single bug on 16 characters.

Come on... Either fix bugs, or add a checkpoint.

@mindcircus.1506 said:

@"paynesgrey.8932" said:Seriously. Who thought this mission design was a good idea? Gimmick fights can be an interesting way to mix it up, but this one is just awful, particularly the way you can't restart a fight from a checkpoint. By awful, I mean, last portapotty on the last day of Burning Man would be more fun. I mean, if you WANT people to ragequit and buy no further expansions, then I suppose it's a good design... Or if you want to be the Uwe Boll of game design, than yeah, sure, by all means, make more storyline fights like this. I'll try this again later if I can find a guildy or something, but I'm really not feeling the fun here, and I'm experiencing some profound buyer's remorse. Next DLC, I'm definitely waiting until I see if the storyline is loaded with craptastic events like this before I even consider touching it. No pre-order for certain. Gonna go melt midgets in Borderlands until I'm feeling a little less hate.

If you used a less salty tone you might find people willing to offer you proper advice.

I don't get salty at individuals until I receive "Git gud! Lrn SkLz!" I reserve the right to be as salty as I please in regards bugs or aggravating features. This opening is basically a rant about the specific mission, the design of which is aggravating, and that aggravation being pushed over the top by some actual bugs.

@BlueJin.4127 said:

@"zealex.9410" said:I like that the final boss of an expansion and an elder dragon wipes the group and you have to restart the fight when u all die.

Especially when you have to repeat all the earlier steps due to a disconnect and the cutscene crash bug.

This. :disappointed:

I’ve done this story on about 12 characters and 4 of them have encountered a bug or lag, failed, and had to restart back from 100% HP. This is one of my least favorite story missions in the game, due to its boring repetitive nature and how buggy it is. Even Victory or Death went without a single bug on 16 characters.

Come on... Either fix bugs, or add a checkpoint.

I hear ya. There've been missions that frustrated me before, but when I looked them up and found something I'd overlooked, I was all "Okay, this is great now." Things where a glitch or lag killed me, and I'll shrug and roll my eyes and pick up from a checkpoint without fussing. The ones where I have to repeat the whole darn chain because they don't save your progress are infuriating, particularly when it was that cutscene disconnect are another matter. As for this mission? Haven't gotten CoT for my wife yet, and I'm thinking I probably won't. Sure, it'll be easier with the two of us, but at this point I'll die happy if I never set foot in this instance again, even if the reward were a real-life pony made of diamonds.

@Shikaru.7618 said:

Nah, I started whomping on Eir the moment Garm went down and was making progress... then she started instantly full-healing him the moment he fell.

@paynesgrey.8932 said:

I don't get salty at individuals until I receive "Git gud! Lrn SkLz!" I reserve the right to be as salty as I please in regards bugs or aggravating features. This opening is basically a rant about the specific mission, the design of which is aggravating, and that aggravation being pushed over the top by some actual bugs.

Which would be true if it were not for the tone of your very first post.Controlling your emotional reaction and asking for pointed advice in your original post would likely have not lead to the "L2P" comments you have been getting.Hearts and Minds is a hard and long mission. It's one of the three most complained about encounters in Guild Wars 2. I've seen dozens of threads just like yours over the past three years. The ones that use your original tone tend to be greeted with the same "git gud" comments you are upset about.You know which ones didn't get that reaction?The ones that sounded like "this mission is kicking my tail, am I doing something wrong?"Instead you unleashed a tirade complete with consumer outrage.What you are calling a "bug" (Garm's health restoring) is part of the encounter's mechanics.

Anyways... just something to keep in mind. Try what they other people posted. Give us an idea about what kind of gear/stats you are using. The encounter is certainly beatable and soloable on a Berserker.Just remember you catch more flies with honey.

@paynesgrey.8932 said:

I appreciate the info. I'd been going ax/torch berserker, with a rifle because that generally just works better for me than a bow for kiting. Gonna try again with a mace since it has more handy CC for blue bar busting, but that'll be un-fun because I've pretty much never used a mace at any point in the game. Fortunately I've got one that's just been taking up inventory space, same with a bow.

I'm perfectly happy adjusting my playstyle, slotting different skills, etc, to match different circumstances. What has me tweaking right now is that Garm's healing to full was an
instant
heal. Like under a second after he fell, with Eir's bar not even switching to blue so I could whomp on her. Heck, she was still running over to him when
boom,
he was back on his feet at full health. Happened a couple times in a couple fights. And that cutscene disconnect bug... I got that earlier in the season, looked up the work arounds, applied them. While it mostly mitigated the issue, they didn't eliminate it. And wouldn't you know it, off all the missions to crash/disconnect on so you have to slog through the yard trash and unskippable dialogue... well, let's just call that a cherry on top of the frustration sundae.

That, and I really just hate gimmick fights. It's one thing when a particular strategy or useful tool is alluded in
useful
dialogue, but I don't like it when it's "Here's your salad tongs, pull out a guess as to what the dev is thinking."

Axe is a power weapon and torch is a condi weapon. Hybrid damage is generally a bad idea unless you have a pretty good grasp on how to build. I would either consider going full condi and take sword/torch and bow, or going full power with axe/axe + greatsword. I am going to personally recommend going full power because is cheaper and easier go gear/build for. If you are really stuck for CC, take a mainhand mace instead of axe. If you are really stuck, take mace/shield.

Garm doesn't really heal to full after a second, when I did it it takes around 2-3 Garm death at most to kill Eir. What you are probably lacking is doing damage and I am guessing that's due to build or rotation. I don't really remember exactly what other mechanic is on Eir but all you really need to do is kill Garm and hit Eir. Deplete the blue bar with cc if needed but I don't think is necessary other than helpeful, might be wrong though.

I don't know what is your gear, but I am going to guess is a mix/match of random pieces. I would suggest buy a full set of exotic berzerker or at least knight from the trading post. They shouldn't be too expensive at maybe 1-2g each. Just search for devona's gear in the TP and look for something like this.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Devona%27s_Chestguard

There is a full set. Trinkets can be either full knight/zerker but I would suggest full zerker but knight will work just fine.

I don't play warrior that much but I would suggest going strength 322 defense 232 berzerker 131. The number show the position of the traits. So 1 is the first trait on the column, 2 is the second one etc etc. What this does is allowing you basically have a very consistent heal as long as you land your burst attacks. Adrenal health with healing signet will keep you sustained for a very long time. You do need to use greatsword for this as the greatsword burst in berzerk is by far your best damage output. Take either bola or kick, shake it off and wild blow for CC with headbutt as elite. What you do is basically get in berzerk, use your physical skill like bola or kick and spam arc divider. It will instantly delete Garm, if he's not dead then he should be close to death, then you can just kill Eir. If you really have to kite, use GS3 and 5 to run around, GS3 is an evade. Might makes right will give you consistent endurance regen with forceful greatsword which allow you to dodge more often. Also if you really want, buy some food. Some are really cheap and offer some decent bonuses. For example if you really want a heal. https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Tropical_Peppermint_Cake cost 18 copper and give you a constant heal of 85hp a second.

Also this is not really going to be a gimmick fight as honestly killing the smaller minion which allow you to hit the boss is one of the most standard enemy designs. I am guessing you haven't played a lot of MMOs or RPGs? So just keep that in mind as there will be plenty of fights where you can't just hit the enemy until you win.

@mindcircus.1506 said:

Which would be true if it were not for the tone of your very first post.Controlling your emotional reaction and asking for pointed advice in your original post would likely have not lead to the "L2P" comments you have been getting.Hearts and Minds is a hard and long mission. It's one of the three most complained about encounters in Guild Wars 2. I've seen dozens of threads just like yours over the past three years. The ones that use your original tone tend to be greeted with the same "git gud" comments you are upset about.You know which ones didn't get that reaction?The ones that sounded like "this mission is kicking my tail, am I doing something wrong?"Instead you unleashed a tirade complete with consumer outrage.What you are calling a "bug" (Garm's health restoring) is part of the encounter's mechanics.

Anyways... just something to keep in mind. Try what they other people posted. Give us an idea about what kind of gear/stats you are using. The encounter is certainly beatable and soloable on a Berserker.Just remember you catch more flies with honey.

Honestly, I'd have started with "It's kicking my butt, am I doing something wrong," were it not a case of known, unaddressed bugs/disconnects compounding the frustration of what I view as a structural issue (like having to repeat everything instead of going to a checkpoint), I'm gonna vent about the bugs and design issues first.

Then I'd do a separate post for advice.

In retrospect, story missions with a massive difficulty spike like this give me the impression the Devs wanted to leverage folks into grouping, and I hate, hate, hate, PuGs. I don't mind interacting with folks; I'm always happy to jump in and help out when people are downed or fighting some boss or doing an event, or just got piled on with adds... but I get really irritated when I hit storyline content that feels like I'm getting leveraged in the direction of "gotta group to beat this story mission." And that frustration is enhanced by how much I like other aspects of the game, like the Living World in general, or how the storyline is usually very solo-friendly.

I'd figured that it was soloable, and I just wasn't using the right strategy. It's not uncommon to get your lunch eaten, look up some guides or comments and go "Oh, I gotta kite this jerk" or something like that. Looked some stuff up, was doing better... and then I hit the bugs, and have to start from scratch. So, yeah. Salt. Course ground rock salt. That Himalayan stuff, even.

@paynesgrey.8932 said:

Honestly, I'd have started with "It's kicking my butt, am I doing something wrong," were it not a case of known, unaddressed bugs/disconnects compounding the frustration of what I view as a structural issue (like having to repeat
everything
instead of going to a checkpoint), I'm gonna vent about the bugs and design issues first.

Then I'd do a separate post for advice.

In retrospect, story missions with a massive difficulty spike like this give me the impression the Devs wanted to leverage folks into grouping, and I hate, hate, hate, PuGs. I don't mind interacting with folks; I'm always happy to jump in and help out when people are downed or fighting some boss or doing an event, or just got piled on with adds... but I get really irritated when I hit storyline content that feels like I'm getting leveraged in the direction of "gotta group to beat this story mission." And that frustration is enhanced by how much I like other aspects of the game, like the Living World in general, or how the storyline is
usually
very solo-friendly.

I'd figured that it was soloable, and I just wasn't using the right strategy. It's not uncommon to get your lunch eaten, look up some guides or comments and go "Oh, I gotta kite this jerk" or something like that. Looked some stuff up, was doing better... and then I hit the bugs, and have to start from scratch. So, yeah. Salt. Course ground rock salt. That Himalayan stuff, even.

The rest of your post aside...(hey enjoy the salt)...Hearts and Minds is very soloable. You need to take a few deaths on the way to learn the mechanics. You need to be willing and able to alter your build for the encounter and you need to understand a few fundamentals the game has been teaching your through the easier encounters leading up to it.I won't say it's the best mission in the game. It certainly isn't the worst. It's a giant step forward from the final encounter of the core story in terms of combat.

Take the advice up there when you aren't so rattled and tell us how it goes.

@Warscythes.9307 said:

@Ashantara.8731 said:This isn't meant as a solo-mission. Find mates to group up with. :)

It is a solo mission unless you are talking about the challenge mode which should be done in group of 5.

I've never solo'd it, but I can imagine it would take quite long. I'm not saying it isn't doable, but it doesn't feel like it was meant for solo play. Perhaps I should give it a try some time, just never had to because ppl there always group up.

@Warscythes.9307 said:

I'm perfectly happy adjusting my playstyle, slotting different skills, etc, to match different circumstances. What has me tweaking right now is that Garm's healing to full was an
instant
heal. Like under a second after he fell, with Eir's bar not even switching to blue so I could whomp on her. Heck, she was still running over to him when
boom,
he was back on his feet at full health. Happened a couple times in a couple fights. And that cutscene disconnect bug... I got that earlier in the season, looked up the work arounds, applied them. While it mostly mitigated the issue, they didn't eliminate it. And wouldn't you know it, off all the missions to crash/disconnect on so you have to slog through the yard trash and unskippable dialogue... well, let's just call that a cherry on top of the frustration sundae.

That, and I really just hate gimmick fights. It's one thing when a particular strategy or useful tool is alluded in
useful
dialogue, but I don't like it when it's "Here's your salad tongs, pull out a guess as to what the dev is thinking."

Axe is a power weapon and torch is a condi weapon. Hybrid damage is generally a bad idea unless you have a pretty good grasp on how to build. I would either consider going full condi and take sword/torch and bow, or going full power with axe/axe + greatsword. I am going to personally recommend going full power because is cheaper and easier go gear/build for. If you are really stuck for CC, take a mainhand mace instead of axe. If you are really stuck, take mace/shield.

Garm doesn't really heal to full after a second, when I did it it takes around 2-3 Garm death at most to kill Eir. What you are probably lacking is doing damage and I am guessing that's due to build or rotation. I don't really remember exactly what other mechanic is on Eir but all you really need to do is kill Garm and hit Eir. Deplete the blue bar with cc if needed but I don't think is necessary other than helpeful, might be wrong though.

I don't know what is your gear, but I am going to guess is a mix/match of random pieces. I would suggest buy a full set of exotic berzerker or at least knight from the trading post. They shouldn't be too expensive at maybe 1-2g each. Just search for devona's gear in the TP and look for something like this.

There is a full set. Trinkets can be either full knight/zerker but I would suggest full zerker but knight will work just fine.

I don't play warrior that much but I would suggest going strength 322 defense 232 berzerker 131. The number show the position of the traits. So 1 is the first trait on the column, 2 is the second one etc etc. What this does is allowing you basically have a very consistent heal as long as you land your burst attacks. Adrenal health with healing signet will keep you sustained for a very long time. You do need to use greatsword for this as the greatsword burst in berzerk is by far your best damage output. Take either bola or kick, shake it off and wild blow for CC with headbutt as elite. What you do is basically get in berzerk, use your physical skill like bola or kick and spam arc divider. It will instantly delete Garm and then you can just kill Eir.

Also this is not really going to be a gimmick fight as honestly killing the smaller minion which allow you to hit the boss is one of the most standard enemy designs. I am guessing you haven't played a lot of MMOs or RPGs? So just keep that in mind as there will be plenty of fights where you can't just bash your head in until you win.

Thanks. Garm's sudden insta-heal to full is why I'm crying "bug!" He was, quite literally, back on his feet an instant after he fell. Eir was still running towards him, and I wasn't getting a chance to even give her a tickle. Happened a couple times even after completely logging out, in case something was buggy at my end or with my connection. I was indeed focusing on Garm until he fell, then going after her. (I usually do polish off the little guys before laying into the boss, no need to eat damage I can stop. (Barring the odd mission where the little guys never stop spawning and you must focus on the boss, anyway.)

Now, in respect to gear, I am trotting out the mace I've been schlepping around to replace the ax. My kit is pretty much all legendary-quality Berserkers, focus on power enhancements. (I suffer from simple Alt-fu Craftingitis, so kit isn't a problem.) Not sure what my power layout is, but I'll be happy to adjust it to what you suggest, although I'm still filling out the berserker, line, be a while before I have headbutt.

@paynesgrey.8932 said:

instant
boom,

useful

Axe is a power weapon, torch is a condi weapon. Right off the bat you're already trying to spread your resources too thin by splitting your focus. Either pick a condition or power build and stick with it. Would recommend axe offhand for power or sword main hand for condition. Your cc comes from your utilities in headbutt and wild blow so no need to bring mace if you dont want to.