Is WvW more PvE or PvP?

Whiteout.1975

I'm talking which take's priority in your opinion as it stands; when comparing PvP vs PvE inside of WvW. Please add (if able) your input as to why you feel that way based on your choice. I'll also be asking some other (outside the title) questions to think about; to add more flavor to this discussion. However, feel free on whether or not you wish to answer them.

WvW is suppose to be this: "WvW is first and foremost, a Player vs. Player game-mode. You are rewarded with both loot and Points-Per-Kill (PPK) for killing enemy players." (Taken from "Combat" section via https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/World_versus_World)

Given that to be the intention... How well does WvW meet this intention? Do PvE element's devalue/take away from this intention in any way?... Instead of helping it stand out.

I'm also asking because WvW has seen an okay-ish amount of changes over the years... Some drastic... Some not so much.Though, for those who do not know... It's been saying this on the Wiki for years . However, obviously by stating "first and foremost". The Wiki attempts to make a strong statement regarding PvP as WvW's primary at least over PvE. Is PvP still "primary" though? Also, is this statement still as "strong" now vs the past (years ago)?

Does WvW borrow enough element's from PvP itself to stand strong over PvE like it's meant to?... Or do you find it easier/ a lot easier to identify with PvE qualities/values while inside WvW?

Lastly, for the people who want me to add more options (as it always seems to happen with every poll ?)... Respectfully... No. I want to keep this simple and to the point. Thanks <3

@Zexanima.7851 said:It's what you make it really. I could choose to never so much as kill a dolyak and only kill other players or I could choose to never attack another player and only run away and do objectives.

Oh... I was asking in the context of weighing each naturally. Being outside of choice.Though, I suppose I could also then add the question (in this other new context)... Are there more choices or inherent values to partake in, regarding PvE vs PvP element's and vice versa? (Anyone's still free to answer)

Heavily depends on the current time and map coverage / linking. If there are no enemies, you'd have to "PvE" or log off. If at prime time you'd always have to fight players, even if you only want to do objectives.

For the wiki part: the wiki is written by players. The official statement from Anet webside is:"WvW is large scale PvP warfare the way its meant to be."

@"Whiteout.1975" said:Do PvE element's devalue/take away from this intention in any way?No. As Anet stated its meant to be warfare. And warfare doesnt mean "solely PvP fights", it also includes objectives, supply control, intelligence etc. Its the same as for sPvP, or other games like LoL etc. NPCs that guard objectives are just gap fillers, primarily to delay the capping progress, its not meant to be a challenge, thus I wouldn't really call that PvE.

Real PvE content would be the Harpyries, Worm, Warg, not sure why this is implemented in WvW, but it doesn't make a significant proportion.

@Whiteout.1975 said:

@Zexanima.7851 said:It's what you make it really. I could choose to never so much as kill a dolyak and only kill other players or I could choose to never attack another player and only run away and do objectives.

Oh... I was asking in the context of weighing each naturally. Being outside of choice.Though, I suppose I could also then add the question (in this other new context)... Are there more choices or inherent values to partake in, regarding PvE vs PvP element's and vice versa? (Anyone's still free to answer)

Even still it depends. If you just pug zerg then it's more PvE. If you are part of a fight guild, PvP. If you roam for daillies, PvE. If you roam for fights, PvP.

@Zexanima.7851 said:

Even still it depends. If you just pug zerg then it's more PvE. If you are part of a fight guild, PvP. If you roam for daillies, PvE. If you roam for fights, PvP.

Well I get that, but all those are still just initial choices/options just regarding fighting. Though, that's your opinion and I'm not gonna tell you to change it. Just saying how I see it.

@"enkidu.5937" said:Heavily depends on the current time and map coverage / linking. If there are no enemies, you'd have to "PvE" or log off. If at prime time you'd always have to fight players, even if you only want to do objectives.

For the wiki part: the wiki is written by players. The official statement from Anet webside is:"WvW is large scale PvP warfare the way its meant to be."

@"Whiteout.1975" said:Do PvE element's devalue/take away from this intention in any way?No. As Anet stated its meant to be warfare. And warfare doesnt mean "solely PvP fights", it also includes objectives, supply control, intelligence etc. Its the same as for sPvP, or other games like LoL etc. NPCs that guard objectives are just gap fillers, primarily to delay the capping progress, its not meant to be a challenge, thus I wouldn't really call that PvE.

Real PvE content would be the Harpyries, Worm, Warg, not sure why this is implemented in WvW, but it doesn't make a significant proportion.

Would be nice to know if Anet disagree's with the player's then with how they listed it on the wiki.

I agree that it shouldn't be "solely PvP fight's". I'm just wondering really if WvW borrows enough element's from actual PvP to make that claim respectfully. OR is it simply the fact that you can kill players that dictates it as PvP in that regard? Is that how it's "meant" to be?

@Whiteout.1975 said:

@"enkidu.5937" said:Heavily depends on the current time and map coverage / linking. If there are no enemies, you'd have to "PvE" or log off. If at prime time you'd always have to fight players, even if you only want to do objectives.

@Whiteout.1975 said:Do PvE element's devalue/take away from this intention in any way?No. As Anet stated its meant to be warfare. And warfare doesnt mean "solely PvP fights", it also includes objectives, supply control, intelligence etc. Its the same as for sPvP, or other games like LoL etc. NPCs that guard objectives are just gap fillers, primarily to delay the capping progress, its not meant to be a challenge, thus I wouldn't really call that PvE.

Would be nice to know if Anet disagree's with the player's then with how they listed it on the wiki.

I agree that it shouldn't be "solely PvP fight's". I'm just wondering really if PvP borrows enough element's from actual PvP to make that claim respectfully. OR is it simply the fact that you can kill players that dictates it as PvP in that regard? Is that how it's "meant" to be?Not sure if I understand this right. PvP warfare doesnt even require fights with players face to face. You can even win a war with just outsmart the enemy, cut him off from supplies etc.

On the other hand, there are players that are just not interested in this kind of warfare. They rather would love to GvG in a fight arena instead. So I wouldn't ask "How much % face-to face fights does WvW need to make in PvP?" I would ask the other way around instead:

"How much can one deny PvE* and still call it "warfare"?"

(*) in terms of objective sniping, outsmarting supperior enemy forces, cutting them off from supply etc.

@enkidu.5937 said:

@enkidu.5937 said:Heavily depends on the current time and map coverage / linking. If there are no enemies, you'd have to "PvE" or log off. If at prime time you'd always have to fight players, even if you only want to do objectives.

@Whiteout.1975 said:Do PvE element's devalue/take away from this intention in any way?No. As Anet stated its meant to be warfare. And warfare doesnt mean "solely PvP fights", it also includes objectives, supply control, intelligence etc. Its the same as for sPvP, or other games like LoL etc. NPCs that guard objectives are just gap fillers, primarily to delay the capping progress, its not meant to be a challenge, thus I wouldn't really call that PvE.

I agree that it shouldn't be "solely PvP fight's". I'm just wondering really if PvP borrows enough element's from actual PvP to make that claim respectfully. OR is it simply the fact that you can kill players that dictates it as PvP in that regard? Is that how it's "meant" to be?

Not sure if I understand this right. PvP warfare doesnt even require fights with players face to face. You can even win a war with just outsmart the enemy, cut him off from supplies etc.

On the other hand, there are players that are just not interested in this kind of warfare. They rather would love to GvG in a fight arena instead. So I wouldn't ask "How much % face-to face fights does WvW need to make in PvP?" I would ask the other way around instead:

"How much can one deny PvE* and still call it "warfare"?"

(*) in terms of objective sniping, outsmarting supperior enemy forces, cutting them off from supply etc.

True, but then wouldn't it just be called "warfare" instead of "PvP warfare"?

Personally, I would say PvE should be denied at least to the point to where it doesn't overshadow the value of PvP inside "PvP warefare".

It's pve, which I imagine frustrates the individual player that wrote that particular line on the wiki. The objectives are entirely pve, and the scoring is heavily weighted towards pve as well. WvW allows for hot hot pvp action, but it does not demand any actual pvp play at all . . .

EDIT: Just to be clear this is pretty much exactly what makes it so brilliant. It lures pve'ers in with the gob and then entices them to stay and do a little 'pve' to secure some otherwise hard to get items via the wvw reward tracks. And then before you know it they've discovered that death has no meaning and they are up to their waists in the entrails of their enemies. It's nice . . .

There aren't really any PvE elements, so the poll does not make much sense., The 'v' in PvP stands for versus which means competing against, competing against entails more than simply combat.

Look at sPvP for example and the Lord on Foefire that isn't PvE, that is there to force fights, to up the rather mediocre skillcap of combat in this game by adding map awareness, extra decision making, communication, etc and to provide a comeback mechanic.

The same goes for WvW the NPC lords aren't in objectives for PvE they are there to delay the capture of the objective to give time for the other side to get there and create a fight.

@"Gop.8713" said:It's pve, which I imagine frustrates the individual player that wrote that particular line on the wiki. The objectives are entirely pve, and the scoring is heavily weighted towards pve as well. WvW allows for hot hot pvp action, but it does not demand any actual pvp play at all . . .

Good point's. I would also consider "Transfers" to be PvE based. People are battling out cash for better guaranteed win's in general. The best way to win really... Is to transfer to a higher teir server. So for me, that's something that really hurts the PvP aspect/involvement/meaning also.

@zinkz.7045 said:There aren't really any PvE elements, so the poll does not make much sense., The 'v' in PvP stands for versus which means competing against, competing against entails more than simply combat.

Look at sPvP for example and the Lord on Foefire that isn't PvE, that is there to force fights, to up the rather mediocre skillcap of combat in this game by adding map awareness, strategy, communication, etc and to provide a comeback mechanic.

The same goes for WvW the NPC lords aren't in objectives for PvE they are there to delay the capture of the objective to give time for the other side to get there and create a fight.

What about let's say... the jump puzzle's in WvW?

@Whiteout.1975 said:

@"zinkz.7045" said:There aren't really any PvE elements, so the poll does not make much sense., The 'v' in PvP stands for versus which means competing against, competing against entails more than simply combat.

Look at sPvP for example and the Lord on Foefire that isn't PvE, that is there to force fights, to up the rather mediocre skillcap of combat in this game by adding map awareness, strategy, communication, etc and to provide a comeback mechanic.

They were there to create fights, early in the game they were quite popular (I can't remember what was in the chest that people once wanted), remember Teldo knocking people off to their death with his flamethrower on his streams? Or maybe you have not played since the start so have only witnessed them as basically dead content (or "PvE")?

Well...The game mode was made on the concept of winning matches through points, which you could only gain through basically "pveing/ppting" taking owning stuff and upgrading. Then players started getting tired of ppting and more people were looking to just fight, so eventually ppk was introduced a few years ago which can now contribute a good portion of points to a match.

Which should be promoted over the other? Neither really, to me I view wvw pve/pvp 50/50 since this is a siege warfare mode not a deathmatch, not a raid. But I think pvp should have some priority over pve in wvw because of the fact that there's already a huge part of the game dedicated to all your pve needs. Wvw is the game mode between pve and spvp, and a lot of times mentioned to be the introduction into pvp. At the end of the day I would prefer class and combat balance over adding a raid boss for content in wvw.

@zinkz.7045 said:

@zinkz.7045 said:There aren't really any PvE elements, so the poll does not make much sense., The 'v' in PvP stands for versus which means competing against, competing against entails more than simply combat.

They were there to create fights, early in the game they were quite popular (I can't remember what was in the chest that people once wanted), remember Teldo knocking people off to their death with his flamethrower on his streams? Or maybe you have not played since the start so have only witnessed them as basically dead content (or "PvE")?

(I started playing GW2 in late 2012)If that was their intention then cool. However, in my experience that's not how I saw it ever play out. I really only ever seen people rage quit or eventually they would because someone knocked them off lol. Or screwed up their process of jumping from point A to point B... Same difference. That said I don't know who Teldo is... Let's say I knew who Helseth was though. Though, ether way it's just dead PvE content to me. I don't view them as necessary now or then to create a fight... More of a nuisance to WvW IMO if I'm being honest. However, I respect the intention if that's what it was.

@"Whiteout.1975" said:I'm talking which take's priority in your opinion as it stands; when comparing PvP vs PvE inside of WvW. Please add (if able) your input as to why you feel that way based on your choice. I'll also be asking some other (outside the title) questions to think about; to add more flavor to this discussion. However, feel free on whether or not you wish to answer them.

WvW is suppose to be this: "WvW is first and foremost, a Player vs. Player game-mode. You are rewarded with both loot and Points-Per-Kill (PPK) for killing enemy players." (Taken from "Combat" section via https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/World_versus_World)

Given that to be the intention... How well does WvW meet this intention? Do PvE element's devalue/take away from this intention in any way?... Instead of helping it stand out.

I'm also asking because WvW has seen an okay-ish amount of changes over the years... Some drastic... Some not so much.Though, for those who do not know... It's been saying this on the Wiki for years . However, obviously by stating "first and foremost". The Wiki attempts to make a strong statement regarding PvP as WvW's primary at least over PvE. Is PvP still "primary" though? Also, is this statement still as "strong" now vs the past (years ago)?

Does WvW borrow enough element's from PvP itself to stand strong over PvE like it's meant to?... Or do you find it easier/ a lot easier to identify with PvE qualities/values while inside WvW?

Lastly, for the people who want me to add more options (as it always seems to happen with every poll ?)... Respectfully... No. I want to keep this simple and to the point. Thanks <3

?

"World versus World (also known as WvW) is a combination Player versus Player/Player versus Environment game mode where players from three different worlds (which can involve 6+ servers), battle in the Mists. It features open-world combat on five large maps with up to several dozen players per map. In World versus World, players can besiege objectives such as Keeps and Towers with siege weapons, and battle over resources, as well as complete other PvE-type content to win World Experience for themselves."

And yes, WvW is a PvP enabled RvR mode that drew inspiration from DAoC… So the primary purpose of the mode is to allow for pvp warfare to occur...

What does this mean? "Does WvW borrow enough element's from PvP"... Like, seriously, what are you talking about?

@Swagger.1459 said:

@"Whiteout.1975" said:I'm talking which take's priority in your opinion as it stands; when comparing PvP vs PvE inside of WvW. Please add (if able) your input as to why you feel that way based on your choice. I'll also be asking some
other
(outside the title) questions to think about; to add more flavor to this discussion. However, feel free on whether or not you wish to answer them.

WvW is suppose to be this: "WvW is first and foremost, a Player vs. Player game-mode. You are rewarded with both loot and Points-Per-Kill (PPK) for killing enemy players." (Taken from "Combat" section via
)

I'm also asking because WvW has seen an okay-ish amount of changes over the years... Some drastic... Some not so much.Though, for those who do not know... It's been saying this on the Wiki for
years
. However, obviously by stating "
first and foremost
". The Wiki attempts to make a strong statement regarding PvP as WvW's primary at least over PvE. Is PvP still "primary" though? Also, is this statement still as "strong" now vs the past (years ago)?

?

"World versus World (also known as WvW) is a combination Player versus Player/Player versus Environment game mode where players from three different worlds (which can involve 6+ servers), battle in the Mists. It features open-world combat on five large maps with up to several dozen players per map. In World versus World, players can besiege objectives such as Keeps and Towers with siege weapons, and battle over resources, as well as complete other PvE-type content to win World Experience for themselves."

Ah, Good Evening @Swagger.1459 :)

I'm not sure how to respond to be honest because I don't understand the question. Perhaps you're simply making the statement WvW is both PvP and PvE? or that WvW more PvE because this: "as well as complete other PvE-type content to win World Experience for themselves". I don't know ?‍♂️

@Whiteout.1975 said:

@Whiteout.1975 said:I'm talking which take's priority in your opinion as it stands; when comparing PvP vs PvE inside of WvW. Please add (if able) your input as to why you feel that way based on your choice. I'll also be asking some
other
(outside the title) questions to think about; to add more flavor to this discussion. However, feel free on whether or not you wish to answer them.

WvW is suppose to be this: "WvW is first and foremost, a Player vs. Player game-mode. You are rewarded with both loot and Points-Per-Kill (PPK) for killing enemy players." (Taken from "Combat" section via
)

I'm also asking because WvW has seen an okay-ish amount of changes over the years... Some drastic... Some not so much.Though, for those who do not know... It's been saying this on the Wiki for
years
. However, obviously by stating "
first and foremost
". The Wiki attempts to make a strong statement regarding PvP as WvW's primary at least over PvE. Is PvP still "primary" though? Also, is this statement still as "strong" now vs the past (years ago)?

?

Ah, Good Evening @Swagger.1459 :)

I'm not sure how to respond to be honest because I don't understand the question. Perhaps you're simply making the statement WvW is both PvP and PvE? or that WvW more PvE because this: "as well as complete other PvE-type content to win World Experience for themselves". I don't know ?‍
♂️

Are you not bothering to read the direct quote from the same wiki page you linked?

What does this mean? "Does WvW borrow enough element's from PvP"... Like, seriously, what are you talking about?

Are you not aware that WvW is a Realm vs Realm Player vs Player mode inspired by Dark Age of Camelot? Realm v Realm is Player vs Player combat mode designed for mass combat to occur, and of course has a number of other elements to it...

"WvW is first and foremost, a Player vs. Player game-mode."

Ain't no PvP if players avoid each other and just backcap objectives... taps head ...YOU get a ktrain, YOU get a ktrain - EVERYBODY gets a ktrain! ALL HAIL OVERGROWN GRUB LORD & SAVIOUR OF PAPER EBG!