Really Odd, Has Anyone Had Their Personal Story Switch on Them?

I could have sworn I picked the Orders of Whispers... I stopped playing for at least 6 months. Real life intruded. When my son started playing the game I picked it back up with a vengeance. I thought my Charr Engineer had picked going with the Order of Whispers in the personal story. Before my hiatus I had gotten as far as helping the Ogres defeat the giant Devourer. Well as an Engi I could not defeat it and left my character be for awhile. When my son started playing a Charr Hunter I asked him to follow the same story line so we could do it together and I could finally get past the beast. We did it just fine and I got credit for it and then I continued the quest line myself.Now here's where it gets strange. I did the quest "without" my son and had Tybalt as a partner, doing Order of Whispers stuff, all the way up to Claw Island and my son doing it on his own up till the same spot, at which time my son joined me again so we could get through it together. Everything was fine until the end of the Episode which we completed. Then my Son gets a letter from the Order of Secrets and I get one from the Vigil. Now like I said, I could have sworn I had picked the Order of Whispers (6 months previously), yet when I looked back over my storyline (I think it was episode 4) had all change to the Vigil. Everything was exactly the same as my Son's up till then. Has this ever happened to anyone else. Some additional info, I have 10 charactors 5 Charr, 4 Asura and 1 Sylvari. I have pretty much done every storyline variation there is among the Charr and find that I like the Order of Whispers line the best ( I love the charactor Tybalt).So has this happened to anyone else. Especially players who have run more than one story line of the same race. I wish I had looked at the story line before my son had started playing to make sure everthing matched exactly. Did I actually go with the Vigil and somehow the story lines overlapped. I still don't know how I did Order of whispers episodes WITHOUT my sons influence on the storyline ( I think it was only two of them after the Devourer).

There are a few points in the story where, if you are in a party with another player who has selected a different Order, and that player starts the instance, you can accidentally end up in the wrong Order if you accept credit for the segment. If your son's character was Vigil, and he started the instance, and you accepted credit for completion afterward, it would have changed your Order. It's a known glitch, but it's apparently not one they can fix without unscrewing a lot of the personal story.

You will switch back to your own order's quest line at the end of the arc(assuming you don't continue accepting progress with the other person).

@Taelac.7036 said:There are a few points in the story where, if you are in a party with another player who has selected a different Order, and that player starts the instance, you can accidentally end up in the wrong Order if you accept credit for the segment. If your son's character was Vigil, and he started the instance, and you accepted credit for completion afterward, it would have changed your Order. It's a known glitch, but it's apparently not one they can fix without unscrewing a lot of the personal story.

It is not a glitch. It was done on purpose so people can continue playing and progressing together.

@Khisanth.2948 said:You will switch back to your own order's quest line at the end of the arc(assuming you don't continue accepting progress with the other person).

@Taelac.7036 said:There are a few points in the story where, if you are in a party with another player who has selected a different Order, and that player starts the instance, you can accidentally end up in the wrong Order if you accept credit for the segment. If your son's character was Vigil, and he started the instance, and you accepted credit for completion afterward, it would have changed your Order. It's a known glitch, but it's apparently not one they can fix without unscrewing a lot of the personal story.

It is not a glitch. It was done on purpose so people can continue playing and progressing together.

Can you point me to something from ANet that says that? I'd be very interested to read it.

@Taelac.7036 said:

@Khisanth.2948 said:You will switch back to your own order's quest line at the end of the arc(assuming you don't continue accepting progress with the other person).

Can you point me to something from ANet that says that? I'd be very interested to read it.

At least one of the posts from https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/profile/comments/Jeffrey%20Vaughn.1793 but it might have been on the old forum.

That aside ... the alternative is to force people to split and go their separate ways while trying to play or one progress whiles the other has to go back(also getting no reward as they play together). Doesn't take much to see why they would want to do it this way especially since there is the option to decline .