Why don't you sPvP? — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Why don't you sPvP?

Hi guys,

I wanted to post my question here since it is basically the same 12 people in the PvP forum.

Why don't you sPvP?

I can't think of anything more rewarding for end game than GW2 pvp and it is a shame that so many of you opt out. Just curious. Thanks for your input.

<134

Comments

• Aaralyna.3104Aaralyna.3104 Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 27, 2019

Hmm why I don't do pvp... Guess I am just not so fond of killing other players in any game. I rather spend my time in open world, looking at the sceneries, doing story, doing some event or worldboss, just go where I want and relax without relying on others (also why I am rarely seen in fractals and the likes). WvW is more open style so I like it better but matches are a bit unclear (they last long and it takes a bit before you find a tag you can run behind and solo, well I am clueless in there on how to do things despite having tried the mode a few times). But the downpart of wvw is that you need another set of gear and/or weapons and we have no build templates and no second gear + weapon slots so we can have 1 set on at all time for pve and 1 set on at all time for wvw. (My backpack is already full and so is my storage thus no wvw for me either unless I go on pve build in pve weapon and pve gear). Spvp I only do for dailies (ranked coz better rewards for the 15 mins hoping to pass by as soon as possible so I can actually play the game).

Oh and Spvp is a bit samey (you do the same things in all maps... 1 runs close, rest runs mid... on the occasional map you grab some extra point/interact point, repeat if someone grabs your points...). You get my drift ;)

(It is no wonder I hear players talk about bots in there since every match is exactly the same playstyle wise)

• Apokriphos.7042Apokriphos.7042 Member ✭✭
    edited June 27, 2019

I recently stopped playing sPvp. Each class generally has 1 meta or less build that's viable in upper plat, and some classes are far better at stretching their roles beyond decapper, teamfighter +1, or soloist then others, who are doomed to one role or nothing.

Additionally, balance is horrendous and creative play and counter play exists to such a small degree compared to other competitive games (especially
    compared to games like GW1) it might as well be nonexistent. It certainly isnt encouraged with hardcoded skill slots and recharge rate design prioritised over resource management. Fighting against AI created by players should never be a thing, neither should skills that do 10+ effects with hardly a tell. Anet doesnt devote much resources to spvp and it shows its age badly due to this.

Ultimately, as a previous poster said, Spvp is boring. Wvw is marginally better since there is more variation in builds you might encounter but both modes suffer from inherent flaws in the GW2 pvp philosophy, which seems to be, less complexity the better.

• DietPepsi.4371DietPepsi.4371 Member ✭✭✭

Not balanced simply. If using a power warrior than main's a rifle isn't "meta", then I'm not interested.

You stand to benefit more from making friends than you do making enemies.

• Warscythes.9307Warscythes.9307 Member ✭✭✭

I still play, stress just get to me sometimes. Wouldn't mind playing some sort of 15 v 15 battlegrounds though.

• GaijinGuy.8476GaijinGuy.8476 Member ✭✭✭

The other night I was like "You know what? I'll give it a go!". Being below rank 20 I had to que unranked ... for 30 minutes with no que pop. I decided to just continue with LW story and left que. Doesn't help that I live in Japan and so most people are asleep or at work/school when I can play.
    I like WvW as I can jump in anytime and start doing things right away.

• Edelweiss.4261Edelweiss.4261 Member ✭✭✭

I used to PvP back in Guildwars. I loved it. Since then, my tremors have gotten worse and my hands spasm more frequently. I'm not sure I want to burden teammates with my issues.

• Donari.5237Donari.5237 Member ✭✭✭✭

I've never enjoyed PvP. Well, almost never. When everyone involved is a friend of mine and we went into the match meaning to beat each other up in a complicated game of tag while laughing about it in voice chat, I've enjoyed it. I do not enjoy it with strangers who can get toxic or boastful. I do not enjoy knowing there are people out to get me. Even with friends I get shaky with adrenaline in short order, with strangers I am wiped out fast.

I've never been super competitive. I'd rather cheer others on than "win."

• Blocki.4931Blocki.4931 Member ✭✭✭✭

I can't be bothered to learn the maps. I prefer the simple gameplay of WvW, where I just have to kill an enemy, not worry about what the rest of my team is doing or whether or not a point is capped or not, because that simply comes afterwards.

Smugly chuckling forever.
    My sentence doesn't make sense? Well, I probably forgot to write half of it before posting.

• otto.5684otto.5684 Member ✭✭✭✭

I still sPvP, but it is falling out of favor. It is very stale with extremely limited viable builds. Class balance changes for the last 7-8 month have only made it worse. The drop in active players hurts match making further, which was never great to begin with.

• borgs.6103borgs.6103 Member ✭✭✭

Because I have a ping of 280~

Hi.

• Gop.8713Gop.8713 Member ✭✭✭✭

Short answer is bc there is no solo mode. I wouldn't enjoy being on a team where I was significantly better or worse than my teammates, playing with teammates who think they are significantly better than they actually are, or playing with teammates that cared more about winning than fighting . . .

I will say that of the modes gw2 offers that I don't really enjoy -- sPvP, high-level fractals, raids and zerging in wvw -- sPvP is the one I'd be most likely to try if I ever get bored of all the things I already do . . .

• KidRoleplay.3615KidRoleplay.3615 Member ✭✭✭

It's as simple as it not being GW1 PvP 2.0 for me, but rather being something extremely different.

• Derdzvero.7051Derdzvero.7051 Member ✭✭✭

GW2 has a bad interpretation of classes and roles, which makes that gamemode pointless for me. I just play LoL when I want PvP with small characters ;)

• Too limited, mostly capture based matches. I don't like those.

I do wvw instead when I feel like it.

Tarnished Coast, North America.
    ♀️ Fashion Wars Lover!

• AzureTerra.1642AzureTerra.1642 Member ✭✭✭

I get my PvP fix with Mecha, Ships and Tanks

• Westenev.5289Westenev.5289 Member ✭✭✭✭

Gw2 is a skill based system, so noobs have no chance against a superior player. I'm not fond of this game design, since I either destroy people or am destroyed. It's very rare that I can find that "worthy adversary".

Personally, I think skill should be a factor, but Anet needs to add luck into the fight as well. Until then, PvP will be that game mode I visit once a month to remember why I hate it.

• Inculpatus cedo.9234Inculpatus cedo.9234 Member ✭✭✭✭

Not a min/maxer.
    No idea how; heard it was not for the faint of heart. Already play with chat off and invisible.
    I almost always lose 1v1s in WvW, so I'm sure I'd be horrible in PvP.

• Caedmon.6798Caedmon.6798 Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 27, 2019

I used to do alot of pvp in the past. Up untill Hot got released i noticed a trend of the game becoming extremely unbalanced in the way that not much makes sense anymore and less and less skilled is required to win a fight,getting carried by broken mechanics comes to thought. Besides the whole Conquest deal is just a boring game mode when youve done it thousands of times.

Unbalanced specs
    Boring game mode

Can name a few other points but i wont,these 2 are the main ones for me.

Nowadays i do maybe 2 - 3 Unrankeds only,usually with a buddy and i'm done with it.I just cannot take pvp serious anymore,its a complete joke. No offense to the people that do still take pvp serious somehow.

• VDAC.2137VDAC.2137 Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 27, 2019

I used to PvP a bit before PoF, but the build changes made what I’d been playing either no longer an option or no longer viable (I can’t recall now). I would have to figure out what class and build I would enjoy now. However, the main reason I haven’t tried again is stress levels; I need to relax in game now and people deriding the team in general or me in particular just isn’t fun.

1. Over ping 200. Dodge and guard sometimes don't work properly.
    2. Gaming is relax time for me. After work hard and got tired, when get back to home, i don't want to feel stressed even in game.
      Snowball Mayhem is the only competitive game mode i really enjoy honestly
  • Glider.5792Glider.5792 Member ✭✭✭
    1. Stressful
    2. Having to rely on other people

Gimme 2v2 or 1v1 and ill be in pvp for months.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeFWMeskOJhk8N-SvOFCJXA
    Fractal speed kills, raids, Black Lion Chest Openings, random.

• Caedmon.6798Caedmon.6798 Member ✭✭✭

@VDAC.2137 said:
    I used to PvP a bit before PoF, but the build changes mad what I’d been playing either no longer an option or no longer viable (I can’t recall now). I would have to figure out what class and build I would enjoy now. However, the main reason I haven’t tried again is stress levels; I need to relax in game now and people deriding the team in general or me in particular just isn’t fun.

Thats also a trend i see in WvW,people taking the game way too serious and forget people logg in to have fun and relax and chill. Atleast thats why i logg in.

• Astralporing.1957Astralporing.1957 Member ✭✭✭✭

What can i say, i simply don't find it fun. The "competitive" factor is a real mood killer for me.

The whole point of a social game is to play with the people you want to play with, not be forced to play with the people you don't.

• Dedicant.6820Dedicant.6820 Member ✭✭✭

I'd say that the reason I don't play sPvP (and rarely play WvW) is because overall I don't typically enjoy PvP modes or open world PvP in MMOs. I choose an MMO based solely off of the PvE experience that it provides. If I want to play PvP then I'll start up a moba/hero shooter and play a game where the entire game design and balance are built around (a hopefully fun, varied and relatively balanced) PvP experience.

• toxic behaviour/players. I play games for enjoyment. I play occasionally wvw bcos its not so serious and if I face toxicity i just return to pve.

• Danikat.8537Danikat.8537 Member ✭✭✭✭

It just doesn't interest me. Running around a little arena, fighting the same 5 people for the same few capture points until someone wins...then you do it again. And again, and again. Maybe you get different scenery on the arena but that's it. Even WvW has more variety than that, although I also get bored with that after I realise I've captured or defended the same keep 2 or 3 times in one evening.

I'm not completely opposed to it, and keep thinking I should do it sometime (if only to get the llama minis) but every time I log in I can think of about 20 other things I'd find more fun so I do them instead.

"Hard knocks, bad luck, been knocked down,
    You got back up, rise up, shine on, keep on fighting, the war is almost done...But then I hear you're gone.
    I feel, when the lights go down, you are still here, all you hold dear remains.
    Your star never fades."

• sitarskee.5738sitarskee.5738 Member ✭✭✭

I usually stop playing pvp when I lose few matches in a row due to teammates trolling or not even trying to win. It is the best mode in MMORPGs for me but I wish people took more serious that they play with other people and by trolling etc. they are wasting not only theirs but someone else time.

• Irreverent.3594Irreverent.3594 Member ✭✭✭

I do, but in APB Reloaded. And oh boy is that enough of toxicity for a lifetime.
    So yea have no need to add more.

• Crystal Black.8190Crystal Black.8190 Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 27, 2019

From time to time I do. But why do I not play it regularly?

Number one point: There is no team queue, besides the tournaments. A few games every 6-8 hours? What joke is this?
    Number two: Ridiculous Balance and matchmaking. Damage and condi spam everywhere. You can just get shredded in a second with no meaningful time to react with a dodge or cleanse. Then there is the matchmaking, you can be teamed up with players who don't even know the goal of the game: Getting 500 points by owning the circle area. But Anet removed the bare bones they called a tutorial from this game mode years ago and are wondering why no ones knows how to play it. Why is there no meaningful tutorial for PvP?
    Number 3: The seemingly absence of punishment for verbal abuse, trolling and going afk in matches. Who wants to play PvP when in half the games people insult you or go afk. And they are still around after you report them! Because there are so many who do this I am fairly certain this is a moderation problem. If you would actually need to fear punishment maybe people would at least try fair sportsmanship.

• Tzarakiel.7490Tzarakiel.7490 Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 27, 2019

I can't play something that don't exist.

PvP? What's that? Never heard of it.

• Burnfall.9573Burnfall.9573 Member ✭✭✭✭

Because Toxicity is valued and prioritized

• Witch of Doom.5739Witch of Doom.5739 Member ✭✭✭✭

General toxicity

• derd.6413derd.6413 Member ✭✭✭✭

matchmaking is bad

I Have No friends, so I Must pug

• Amaranthe.3578Amaranthe.3578 Member ✭✭✭

Cuz after 5 years of capture the point Im done with it.

• Luthan.5236Luthan.5236 Member ✭✭

I used to do sPvP back in 2013 before I stopped playing (until my return just about 2 weeks ago). Focusing mainly on PvE now and WvW sometimes. Since I haven't yet bought any expansions and there are some new maps in PvP. Feels a bit harder to get back into it ... with having to learn the new/changds skills and probably the need to have bought an expansion (and learn all the other elite classes to be able to counter them).

Others mentioned they don't like the capture point style of play. For me it is the opposited. I really like it. I hate stupid "deathmatch" which is mainly focused those hardcore gamers that care about their own stats (k/d) and not about team play.

Killing ... I'd prefer that for a duel style way of fight. (1 on 1 pvp).

For the small teams capture point stuff is fun. I also liked the kodan style map with the special buffs and the orb capturing thing. Basically all besides death match, the one with the castle lord and the skyhammer had been fun to mee back then in 2013.

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.