Tengu

@"Crab Fear.1624" said:Sometimes you take race into your own hands. I identify as a height challenged but rich tengu.

3ynZyET.jpg

This is crying out for a foghorn leghorn caption...

“Asura? You're no Asura, I SAID YOU'RE NO ASURA - you're a Tengu see. Ah say are you listening to me boy? Pay attention when I'm an educating you son. (nice kid, two shineys short of a skritt though if you ask me)"

@Menzo.2185 said:Being a type of legendary creature found in Japanese folk religion and the next expansion being speculated in Cantha, that means that we can see a new races soon?Uh, let me see...We start with assuming an existence of a next expansion (something that we're uncertain to get, as Anet seem to be transitioning to an expacless, LS-based model)Then we're speculating about the region that uncertain expansion will cover. We don't really have any basis for it, but we're saying Cantha. Because we like Cantha, so that means our guess is surely better than any other.Then, we take those guesses, and (again, with no basis, and even against some earlier Anet statements) assume they must mean a new race will happen.Then we assume that this race must be Tengu.

Yes, all that sounds really convincing....oh wait.

@Thornwolf.9721 said:

@Thornwolf.9721 said:mimimi mimi mi mimimi. qq. mi.

Can I have your stuff

Not much to be had sadly, I am a broke being in this game. Im sure what you edited my post to made you feel good White knight. Too bad you're part of the problem, one can't grow without criticism. A-net can't be expected to do anything bigger or better when the community refuses to hold them accountable, and ask for things that push the boundaries. I love the game, I Want it to succeed and be the "Best" Not medi-core and not failing behind other games with less potential (Final fantasy, WoW, ESO .. Ect) but you're basically the crowd I referenced in the post assuming of course you can read or actually read any of it ~

Ignoring the insults. Please elaborate on how playable Tengu would "push the boundaries", I'm all ears.

As I see it, race is nothing more than a skin in this game, it simply stops mattering in terms of gameplay after the first few missions of the personal story and boils down to an aesthetical choice: "Do I want to look at a human, a bigger human, a tree-human, a catcow or some sort of rodent for the rest of the time?". Sure, the choice of looking at a big bird might seem appealing to some, I actually don't care all that much and should they implement them as a playable race I might as well reroll one of my chars as one. But when it comes to gameplay, not RP, actual how people are playing the game, what can be done, what builds are playable, race never mattered and I wouldn't want to change that.

So again, if you can come up with one single thing that using ressources on adding a new playble race would improve in terms of gameplay, I'm happy to hear about it.

@"lokh.2695" said:Ignoring the insults. Please elaborate on how playable Tengu would "push the boundaries", I'm all ears.

As I see it, race is nothing more than a skin in this game, it simply stops mattering in terms of gameplay after the first few missions of the personal story and boils down to an aesthetical choice: "Do I want to look at a human, a bigger human, a tree-human, a catcow or some sort of rodent for the rest of the time?". Sure, the choice of looking at a big bird might seem appealing to some, I actually don't care all that much and should they implement them as a playable race I might as well reroll one of my chars as one. But when it comes to gameplay, not RP, actual how people are playing the game, what can be done, what builds are playable, race never mattered and I wouldn't want to change that.

So again, if you can come up with one single thing that using ressources on adding a new playble race would improve in terms of gameplay, I'm happy to hear about it.

Preach! Thumbs up.

@"lokh.2695" said:Ignoring the insults. Please elaborate on how playable Tengu would "push the boundaries", I'm all ears.

Well put, in general. A new race doesn't add anything to change gameplay mechanics significantly in a game with race designs like GW2, where there are a handful of (in my opinion a little too heavily nerfed) racial skills and that's the only functional difference.

What they can do is open up a new story experience, where playing as a new race allows you to see the world in a different way than just helping them along would. And the story does matter; it's the main thing that's still bringing people back every new chapter. At its best, you end up with something like D:OS2 where you do actually feel like your race means quite a lot, and it could bring a lot of interest back to GW2 if done similarly well.

But I don't expect ANet will ever be able to achieve something like that with GW2 - by past record, it's most likely that the experience would be little different to a Tengu tonic and different voice actor. Plus, of course, all that rigging work and armour skin touch-ups. So yeah. I don't really see a hypothetical new race going well. I'd be delighted if ANet pulled it off, but I'd be very surprised indeed.