Low Frames on an Overbuilt computer.

I recently built a brand new PC from the ground up, with the help and recommendations of a friend. Upon installing and launching GW2 for the first time, and trying out "Best Appearance", I was only able to hit ~30 frames or lower. So, I tried using Auto-Detect, which again, barely gave me above 30 fps. My buddy was very confused at this, as GW2 is a somewhat-older game, and yet I could only hit 30 max on it. I've never had any trouble with frames in any other game that I've played, many of which are newer than GW2.

Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X Eight-Core Processor 3.70 GHzInstalled RAM: 16.0 GBSystem Type: 64-bit operating system, x64-based processorGraphics Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 2070

He informed me that this should be all I need to list, though if there is any other information anyone needs, I'll happily provide it. I'm also including screenshots of all the settings I had, both at max, and the auto-detect settings. Motion blur is fully off at all times, and my monitor runs at 144Hz, as I upgraded it as well.

by0G7o1.pngJg95X8f.png

Have you tried setting the gfx card to "prefer max performance" (or something called liked that) in the nvidia control panel? I think I vaguely remember an issue with 20xx cards clocking down if loaded very lightly only. Also probably don't want to set model limit to highest. Not sure a CPU exists that can handle that in crowded scenarios. Also try fullscreen instead of windowed.

@"Lynn Dragonhart.5762" said:I recently built a brand new PC from the ground up, with the help and recommendations of a friend. Upon installing and launching GW2 for the first time, and trying out "Best Appearance", I was only able to hit ~30 frames or lower. So, I tried using Auto-Detect, which again, barely gave me above 30 fps. My buddy was very confused at this, as GW2 is a somewhat-older game, and yet I could only hit 30 max on it. I've never had any trouble with frames in any other game that I've played, many of which are newer >

Try the following settings:

Untitled.jpg

There are many issues with in-game video settings and it's not HW fault or your setup. Those are game-engine problems, but sub 20 FPS is too much indeed.Character model quality you can raise to high, but you might have significant drop in FPS during massive events. Experiment with it.Do you have some form of Vsync activated in Nvidia drivers? Try disabling it for a test, if you see shuttering (especially Gsync)...Disable xbox gamebar, xbox recording and nvidia overlays (experience).. If you have Rivatunner up - stop it for a test, it's causing issues in some games..Disable anything that has overlay in general for a test..Antivirus/Firewall software? Disable for a test.Windows defender real time analysis & memory mapping overwatching? Disable..

Try full screen - combination between any of the above and windowed mode will kill the fps as you are seeing...

Also pretty much depends where you're measuring the FPS - There are zones and places in game, where 45 is the max you can get, even without action around, regardless of HW used.

You should use the -forwardrender launch argument, will help your FPS a lot. I do that by using GW2 LaunchBuddy, or you could manually do it. Just google it.

Other than that maybe just lower some settings. There is 0 reason to have low shaders but high player limit and model quality. Try the other way around. Disable player name tags (will double your FPS in any zerg and in general)

@Blocki.4931 said:You should use the -forwardrender launch argument, will help your FPS a lot. I do that by using GW2 LaunchBuddy, or you could manually do it. Just google it.

Thank you for that !!!! It is indeed much better in my case (1080TI, Driver version 425.31). There are occasional fps drops, of course, but game feels much smoother now and average FPS are much closer to 60, which I have capped with vsync.

Thanks you guys! I tried a loose combination of all three of those, and everything seems to be running quite smoothly now! Even my other games have gained ~30fps thanks to optimizing my graphics card among other things. (I also can't believe I never thought about disabling nametags. Yeesh.)

Thanks you guys! I tried a loose combination of all three of those, and everything seems to be running quite smoothly now! Even my other games have gained ~30fps thanks to optimizing my graphics card among other things. (I also can't believe I never thought about disabling nametags. Yeesh.)

Great news!! Glad you sorted it out.I think the biggest issue was reflections set to all. In combination with postprocessing those are two things GW2 has never been able to do. Character model details and count make difference, but that is easy to test and tweak - FPS will change gradually with settings modification (at least they do in my case).I'd advise against having char limit count to low since that causes the game to render NPCs or chars too late for me, but you can find a sweet spot for you, I'm sure.

P.S. wiki mentions that forwardrender might cause issues with lightning and shadows, but interesting enough I've had those before I used that option. They were coming and going between patches, irrelevant of graphic card or driver version - I've had quite a few during those 1.5y. Now my issues are gone! Who would have thought.