How to populate during the Off-hour skirmishes

Ryudnard.2587

There are 3-4 skirmishes every day, where the total KDA is set below 50 or 100. It means close to zero wvw activity. Let's say this KDA is happening from the 5th skirmish to the 8th.

WvW will temporarily reset at the start of the 5th skirmish. In the new map, every server will be randomly placed into 3 different teams: Red, Blue, Green. If you win the skirmish, the victory points will be transferred later and count to the server you are representing. The world closes at the end of the 8th skirmish. Every server will get back to their original tier's that they belonged, at the start of the 9th skirmish.

To clarify, what is suggested here is for all practical effects to remove the 24/7 server mode system. Essentially a timezone based server merger/linker. I can see some good points and uses for it, and wouldn't be against it myself. But assume there to be some technical difficulties as well as the obvious problems of the game-mode.

Technical difficulties: I'll assume that the only tech they have for linking servers together is the one they use every 2 month, as such you would have to assume 30-60 minutes down time to link/de-link the servers 2 times a day for "prime time" and "Off-hours" afterwards.

Game-mode: This would change one of the basic pillars of WvW (for good or bad), and essentially make it a 12/7 WvW mode and 12/7 EotM mode. I'm sure there are plenty of people that would hate this, even in this age of waning server pride.

If they're going to go that direction, I think they'd likely do better to just add the EotM tech into the WvW system, link together more servers, reduce to 2 tiers for NA and 2 or 3 for EU, and just use the system to add or remove more EBG maps as needed to fit the population. But that would also create some large changes to the game-mode. Which obviously a lot of players would hate.

Sounds like too much resetting/movement that would require them to build in more background systems to get this working, just for the sake of balancing a couple hours. I'm sure there's less complicated and more efficient mechanics to use. But if that's a system you want to work with you could just turn off skirmish scoring in wvw and turn it on in eotm for those hours, green blue red sides, if say green wins then all green servers get the skirmish victory points. Off hours people probably won't like it, but if you want to play with more people and have scoring matter....

@Optimator.3589 said:

@DeadlySynz.3471 said:Eliminate the bottom 2 tires and redistribute those tiers in the upper 2. From the looks of it, the population can no longer support 4 tires.

Personally, I like having 4 tires. Much more stable that way.

Should change your sig to REDUCE NA TO 3 TIRES :lol:

@XenesisII.1540 said:Sounds like too much resetting/movement that would require them to build in more background systems to get this working, just for the sake of balancing a couple hours. I'm sure there's less complicated and more efficient mechanics to use. But if that's a system you want to work with you could just turn off skirmish scoring in wvw and turn it on in eotm for those hours, green blue red sides, if say green wins then all green servers get the skirmish victory points. Off hours people probably won't like it, but if you want to play with more people and have scoring matter....

@DeadlySynz.3471 said:Eliminate the bottom 2 tires and redistribute those tiers in the upper 2. From the looks of it, the population can no longer support 4 tires.

Personally, I like having 4 tires. Much more stable that way.

Should change your sig to REDUCE NA TO 3 TIRES :lol:

Took me way too long to pick up on that joke....

Just reset the whole WvW map at random times (or pre-set times) through out the week just like current weekly reset night (or how EotM does it every 4 hours, but that's a little too often IMO).

It would really help balance PPT. Some servers are able to dominate in off hours and tier up everything of theirs while making all enemy structures paper. As long as you have numbers to defend your home BL/EBG you can keep winning from the PPT advantage for several skirmishes (or even the whole match up). Then at 4 AM flip everything to paper again. A random (or scheduled) reset(s) would be really interesting if they happened more than once a week.

@Ryudnard.2587 said:There are 3-4 skirmishes every day, where the total KDA is set below 50 or 100. It means close to zero wvw activity. Let's say this KDA is happening from the 5th skirmish to the 8th.

WvW will temporarily reset at the start of the 5th skirmish. In the new map, every server will be randomly placed into 3 different teams: Red, Blue, Green. If you win the skirmish, the victory points will be transferred later and count to the server you are representing. The world closes at the end of the 8th skirmish. Every server will get back to their original tier's that they belonged, at the start of the 9th skirmish.

Funny enough I posted something similar to this in the past as a way to roll EoTM into the weekly scoring so that it could be both an overflow place but also be ground to fight and then it could be more of a part of WvW. Only instances that were populated on all sides would count toward weekly scoring, other instances would be normal overflow maps.

I think the point of the thread was to help balance the population and give it more activity in dead times, not the ppt. That's why they're asking for basically a separate eotm system with wvw maps for those times.

Skirmish mode already put a huge stop gap into off hour runaway points, there are servers that use to single handed win matches in one day with unlimited scoring. People need to realize this is 24/7 game mode, you're not going to win every skirmish. There are other ways to look at extra points, like the one anet proposed of hot spot scoring for high activity, or last man standing bonus points.

People also need to be not be lazy and break t3 structures when they have the numbers especially on their home sides, but we know people don't care and just want the easy caps then complain about it in the forums. If anet wanted a more reasonable time to break in they probably should have just set walls and gates one level and not upgradable. Or give bigger bonused for breaking t3's.

P.S they should make the winning side structures worth 5x more capture points, so we can take away some of the beat on the weakest team for ez points.