Game suddenly running 50% worse, GPU usage 97% to 100%, usually was much less than that

I don't think there was an update today and I didn't have this problem last night. Any ideas what it could be? Tried updating my graphics driver. GW2 is using all of my GPU resources where before it never even needed to.

Using a GTX 1050 Ti

Seriously feels like I lost half my frame rate in one day. I can't even get above 40 fps in obsidian sanctum where before I would have a minimum of 60 fps in OS.

In the past, my first suspect would have been anti-malware getting stuck on a file or on updating itself. These days, my go-to guess is Windows 10: there are a lot of processes that it added that have their own schedule for doing things. They aren't supposed to happen while you're using the computer; sometimes they do anyhow.

I'd first take a look at your Task Manager to see what's using CPU. (Resource Monitor is another helpful tool that should already be on your PC.)

Did you do the isolation check IE other graphic intensive games other than GW2? Try some games like Apex legends and if they also put your GPU to 100% then you actually have a hardware/software internal conflict unrelated to GW2. If this is the case you will need to either put in the time and effort to figure out why your computer is borked or do a system restore.

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:In the past, my first suspect would have been anti-malware getting stuck on a file or on updating itself. These days, my go-to guess is Windows 10: there are a lot of processes that it added that have their own schedule for doing things. They aren't supposed to happen while you're using the computer; sometimes they do anyhow.

I'd first take a look at your Task Manager to see what's using CPU. (Resource Monitor is another helpful tool that should already be on your PC.)

Very true.. and this week saw a Win 10 feature update pushed out.

OP - there are a few WIN tweaks that can help with a bit of FPS gains, maybe you are seeing something going on in the background that the latest win10 update has caused. Or maybe try a fresh install of your latest GPU driver (I never use express setup when updating mine - I choose custom and do full reinstall - takes a bit longer but its clean)

These might help -