Tome of Justice recharge on kill trait

Altair.8402

Am I the only one who's annoyed at how this interaction works? If you want to kill something and not want your F1 to go on CD, you have to manually drop out of it because the reset doesn't proc if you're actually in F1. It's just unneeded awkward skill juggling that doesn't contribute anything IMO.

I'd prefer it to be changed so that if you're in F1 and you kill something, either reset the CD so you can immediately swap out/in, or just recharge all your pages (and give you some quickness if you have that trait equipped).

Thoughts?

As much as I'd like to see it reset even if I'm still in the tome, I can see why it doesn't. If it worked this way you could theoretically never leave ToJ in fights with a lot of adds and that would be too huge a bonus I think. There would either need to be an ICD on Renewed Justice or limit it to couple of pages if you're in the Tome. I'd rather keep it as is than see an ICD. Plus if it reset immediately and you have multiple adds, you'd find yourself getting kicked out and having to swap back into tome. The time isn't huge, but in fights with lots of adds, that could get annoying real fast.

100% Agreed it's clunky and annoying, but as people before me said, the solution won't be to have the recharge to proc while your tome is still on, it'll be way to overpowered.I think 1-2 page recharges per kill would be ideal, or maybe have 1~2 sec CD reduction out of each kill once that'll take place after the Tome is stowedNumbers should be probably played with, but I think there is a middle ground that'll make this less clunky and annoying, cause something needs to be done about this unsynergistic hell right now...

@Altair.8402 said:Am I the only one who's annoyed at how this interaction works? If you want to kill something and not want your F1 to go on CD, you have to manually drop out of it because the reset doesn't proc if you're actually in F1. It's just unneeded awkward skill juggling that doesn't contribute anything IMO.

I'd prefer it to be changed so that if you're in F1 and you kill something, either reset the CD so you can immediately swap out/in, or just recharge all your pages (and give you some quickness if you have that trait equipped).

Thoughts?

either reset the CD so you can immediately swap out/in, or just recharge all your pages (and give you some quickness if you have that trait equipped)

I agree with the bold text there. Refresh our pages to max on-kill if Tome of Justice is active or refresh the cooldown on Tome of Justice. If Quickness were granted while it's active, I'd restrict it to one-half the usual activation duration so that it doesn't make it more beneficial to constantly keep the Tome up and thus defeat its purpose.

@MMAI.5892 said:As much as I'd like to see it reset even if I'm still in the tome, I can see why it doesn't. If it worked this way you could theoretically never leave ToJ in fights with a lot of adds and that would be too huge a bonus I think. There would either need to be an ICD on Renewed Justice or limit it to couple of pages if you're in the Tome. I'd rather keep it as is than see an ICD. Plus if it reset immediately and you have multiple adds, you'd find yourself getting kicked out and having to swap back into tome. The time isn't huge, but in fights with lots of adds, that could get annoying real fast.

Having an internal cooldown might not be necessary. Fewer pages per refresh could make sense, or a number of pages based on the caliber of foe defeated (ex: 1 per standard, 3 per Veteran, 5 per Champion, 8 per Elite).

I think the big problem is that compared to standard Virtue of Justice or Spear of Justice, the behavior seems rather inconsistent seeing as Tome of Justice is functionally a kit that uses the new ammunition system.

Arguing that swapping out of ToJ is necessary to balance Renewed Justice trait is like arguing that we shouldn't have build templates because manually switching gear is part of balance:

This argument just isn't compelling. All it does is serve as an inconvenience to not have the feature in game. Personally I'd prefer if Renewed Justice simply reset pages (but NOT cooldowns of the ToJ skills) if you earned a kill while in ToJ.

To those that say it's overpowered, the only difference it makes if you drop the tome to proc the trait is the cast time of the tome (and the chance for it being interrupted). I doubt it's those 0.5s cast times that keep it more sane.

Personally, I think it's fine, just be more observant of health bars. In pve, where you will most likely get the most use out of the trait, you can just do your normal tome rotation and switch back to your weapons, and the tome will be back up shortly after.

Either way, guardian is yet again the mater of tagging. Forget about the lootstick, this Halloween we farm the labyrinth with our loot tome, only this time we actually do damage.

@Darknicrofia.2604 said:Being able to camp Tome of Justice in open world 24/7 makes it completely out of hand though.

But you can do that already, is the thing.

Needing to stow it limits how spammy you can get with it

@Altair.8402 said:

@Darknicrofia.2604 said:Being able to camp Tome of Justice in open world 24/7 makes it completely out of hand though.

How so? It's not like you're instagibbing mobs since most damage is from burning.

The amount of burning you dish out with it pretty much IS insta-gibbing everything. Most times I leave like 4-5 pages left to stow the tome just to be able to refresh it because things are dying too fast.

It would be pretty absurd if you could just camp the tome, it would be a combination of Staff 600 auto and Permeating Wrath combined. As it is, you can still take Permeating Wrath and build around Tome of Justice and it is massive spammable AoE. Making the recharge happen after stowing the tome and only being able to reset it with Renewed Justice is a small price to pay.

@Altair.8402 said:Am I the only one who's annoyed at how this interaction works? If you want to kill something and not want your F1 to go on CD, you have to manually drop out of it because the reset doesn't proc if you're actually in F1. It's just unneeded awkward skill juggling that doesn't contribute anything IMO.

Thoughts?

The trait was not designed with tomes in mind and surely does not work well with them. Solution? Not sure. I think re-charging pages can be a good solution.

unlimited pages would be the single most broken thing gw2 pve has ever seen.

like, I'm not sure if you guys are being dense on purpose about how much aoe damage tome of justice can actually dish out with just 3-4 page uses, refreshing all 8 pages per kill would completely invalidate any other open world pve class/build.

It is a lazy implementation, not more. I am sure the trait did indeed reset the tome on kill but the stow event sets the cooldown.

I think they didn't had the time to change how the traits work with tomes and virtures and let it be this way. The TOC trait has the same problem.

Maybe we see some changes in the coming balance patch but I would not rely on it.

@Darknicrofia.2604 said:unlimited pages would be the single most broken thing gw2 pve has ever seen.

like, I'm not sure if you guys are being dense on purpose about how much aoe damage tome of justice can actually dish out with just 3-4 page uses, refreshing all 8 pages per kill would completely invalidate any other open world pve class/build.

So, are you telling me that it's now kept in check because you have to spend 0.5s casting the tome every now and then?

It doesn't even work that well in open world, anyway, especially PoF maps, because there are tons of enemies that don't count as a kill. Group events in particular are especially bad at this, as well as boss adds.

And I'm not even saying that because I want unlimited pages, I'm just saying that if you know what you are doing, you already have unlimited pages. As for invalidating the other builds, are you kidding me, like there's an open world meta. Fresh Air tempests have permanent Overload Air, did you jump on that wagon, too?

They should simply remove the cd and casttime and let tomes share their pages.

With this the usage of tomes will become more fluid and they could add a passive or active regeneration process for pages(intervals, on hit, manta usage).

Tomes are already kits with limited charges, so no reason to thread them different in terms of convenience.

Archived