Let us play WvW in both EU and NA servers!

Ryudnard.2587

The new Gem Store item : WvW Permanent Free Pass (1800 Gem)

• Allows you to change your realm between EU and NA.
  • You will be asked to select one server per region for your account.
  • Players will enter each other's relam (between EU and NA) with a name tag: [NA Alliances] or [EU Alliances]. You cannot join/represent any guild. If you belong in the same server, you will be able to chat in /a (The Alliance Chat).-To form a seperate guild, you must stay in the server for 30 days.

I kinda nopticed that EU's population is dead during the NA's prime time. Likewise, NA's pop is dead during the EU's prime hours as well. If you're an avid wvw player, you know there are days where you just joined the WvW borderlands to have fun, but there are no commanders, and no actions at all. This is where you can use this wvw Permanent Free Pass to temporarily change your relam. Hopefully, you can find more actions there. Make more friends and enemies!

@Limodriver.4106 said:it cant be technical issue plenty of other mmo have everyone in the world playing on the same server.

Every decent MMORPG has regional data centres (GW2, WoW, FF14, etc), because there is a technical reason - performance. The only exception is if your MMORPG has relatively slow paced combat so can get away with higher response times like EVE Online.

@"Limodriver.4106" said:it cant be technical issue plenty of other mmo have everyone in the world playing on the same server.

It's a latency issue: responsiveness degrades as you get further away from the datacenter. According to ANet's network guru, when the Frankfurt center was damaged, he moved GW1's servers to the US datacenter. (reminder: GW1's data needs are much lower than GW2's, e.g. 4 GB footprint vs 42 GB on the desktop) He guessed no one would notice, because his performance was okay (even using a VPN to route through Europe).

Turned out: people noticed.

! > Responding to a question about greater ANet communication regarding GW1, Stephen Clarke-Wilson wrote in March 2018! > tl;dr We moved Guild Wars into AWS. That's what started it.! >! > Our datacenter in Frankfurt blew up (almost literally - the UPS system created a big energy spike and fried some of our equipment [never mind the story about the nearby unexploded bomb from WW II]). I moved the Guild Wars servers to the US and then started paying attention to this subreddit to see if anyone noticed, because for me (even over VPN to Europe and back), the game worked fine.! >! > Well, people noticed! So as I moved our servers into AWS (and put servers back in the EU) I kept paying attention to the subreddit. As I moved the servers I noticed a lot of cruft had piled up over the years so I fixed what I could. There is a lot of passion and joy here for the game. And it inspired me to keep digging into ping problems and other problems. And Bill was inspired when I talked to him about some of the problems people highlight here and he dug in and figured some of them out.! >! > Part of what had become crufty over the years were the reporting tools and bot and RMT detection tools. Some are fixed and some still need some love. Plus, I'd really like to figure out a way to make the game easy for people and inherently hard for bots, without having to have Customer Service do a lot of work. I'd like this game to run for many years.

IDK, I'm in eastern US, and playing on a private WoW server based in Russia a while back felt better and more responsive than GW2's NA servers do during any sort of large-scale fight. This in spite of the higher ping (90-130 ms for the Russian server vs 60ish ms for GW2 NA).

@LetoII.3782 said:

@Ben K.6238 said:That would work if Iceland was closer to the majority of WvW players. It's... not.

It's the closest to equidistant.Maps don't represent a globe well at that latitude

One server doesn't do a great job of representing a globe either. Iceland may be roughly equidistant between the two existing data centres, but those don't necessarily correspond to where players are. Pings around the western Pacific are already uncompetitive, and approaching the limits of playability for some. Merging the realms and running the servers from the mid-Atlantic would just make that worse.

The way I predict this suggestion would go, by linking an account to 2 servers, on in NA and one in EU:

• People would use it to escape Matches they don't like, so NA tier1 would get even more deserted, as 1-2 of the servers flee to whatever match-up they're on in EU for the week. Which simultaneously spikes up a couple of EU servers to some really good offhour coverage, which can push them to a tier they might not like, when the NA players ditch them the next week when they're back in T2 on NA. And likely the other way around as well.
  • The same people would likely stack the same servers on EU side and re-create the same problem.
  • Also likely that people would instead use it to "shop around" for activity. So play on NA in NA-prime, and play on EU in EU-Prime. You'd actually end up stacking more activity on top of activity, and killing off the off-hours even more.

Because, humans.

Also another note, in order to make that work as of right now, it would also require you to get logged out of your account, while the game moved the character data from NA to EU server, and later back again.

The only alternative to that would be to host all NA + EU servers in the same spot. Which is exactly why they have separate NA/EU server parks in the first place.

• 11 months later...

So my issue is that I live in Europe and a majority of my friends and guild play on a European Server, I did as well until recently, as my best friend lives in South America and had to switch to a North American server since the European one is too slow for him,

For me, my issue is that I would like to play with both my friends in Europe, and my friends in South America but there's no option to guest on cross continental servers.

I paid to transfer my account to an NA server and now I can play with my friend there, but not my guild here in Europe.

It's really inconvenient obviously after playing for years to start a whole new account from scratch in one of the servers as a solve to this issue.

Basically, they really need to allow at least guesting between Europe and America, or some other solution to this.

I've seen plenty of other forums of people complaining about not being able to do this so I know I'm not alone in this sentiment - allot of people want to be able to do this.

The main problem for sure is the ping.I am EU with main and I made a 2nd account in NA once to learn more about NA wvw, but in the end I just had to notice that a ping of 150+ is just bad for PvP, you were dead before it showed you that you were attacked.

@Dayra.7405 said:The main problem for sure is the ping.I am EU with main and I made a 2nd account in NA once to learn more about NA wvw, but in the end I just had to notice that a ping of 150+ is just bad for PvP, you were dead before it showed you that you were attacked.

Mate, you worried about 150+ ping?Us OCX/SEA players play on 250+ ping.

@QueenSaga.4876 said:So my issue is that I live in Europe and a majority of my friends and guild play on a European Server, I did as well until recently, as my best friend lives in South America and had to switch to a North American server since the European one is too slow for him,

For me, my issue is that I would like to play with both my friends in Europe, and my friends in South America but there's no option to guest on cross continental servers.

I paid to transfer my account to an NA server and now I can play with my friend there, but not my guild here in Europe.

It's really inconvenient obviously after playing for years to start a whole new account from scratch in one of the servers as a solve to this issue.

Basically, they really need to allow at least guesting between Europe and America, or some other solution to this.

I've seen plenty of other forums of people complaining about not being able to do this so I know I'm not alone in this sentiment - allot of people want to be able to do this.

There is no guesting for wvw (that would cause an even greater imbalance to population), guesting was only a feature for pve and that got replaced with megaserver. Many games have split NA EU servers because of hosting and pings, it's better this way as you at least have the choice there. We see how with oceanics having no choice but to play on NA servers and high pings always.

The option you had here was to make another account, get your friend to help level and equip your characters, after all you were doing this for them. The expansions are cheap as it is and you can get them even on 50% off sales. Yes new account leveling is a huge inconvenience in this game, and frankly really terrible for wvw these days (wvw levels, mount, gliding, better/more rewards, veterans fail to appreciate how much more rewards they get than new accounts), but what's a little inconvenience for a friend.