Skyscale a bit too tedious for disabled people

Hi there! I'm Kelpersey or Aegia, as most people know me. I'm a 23 year old who's been trying to get the skyscale since I got the expansion almost 2 months ago. Now I know that doesn't seem like much, but as someone with crippling pain, I'm barely able to get on and play GW2 without having to log off less than a hour later. What this means is, it'll take me upwards of a year to finish all the hearts and collections needed for the Skyscale, I'm at the last part due to me pushing through the pain to try and rush it, only to realize I have to go around various maps for an undefined amount of time and try to collect all the materials without collapsing.

Now I know that doesn't seem too difficult, but I can barely move my arms at times and this makes playing very difficult. On the days where I can move better, I can play for a couple hours happily before reality sets in and I have to go crawl into bed and cry. I worked for over 130 hours to get the griffon, and now I feel like it's going to be more than that for me to get the new dragon.

A-Net, please keep the disabled players in your thoughts for how you design things, some of us aren't as able bodied as they others and will never be able to finish some collections.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@PervMonk.4891 said:how easy do you want it ?it is just pressing f and farming hearts for the map currenciesyou can get the map currency for jorbreakers in this festivalbuy gems, convert then buy jorbreakers from the tp. see anet has you in their mind

I physically do not have the money to buy gems to convert and buy jorbreakers. I'm not asking for it to be extremely easy, but easy enough so that the disabled players can also enjoy the collections.

I also suffer with chronic pain. You don't have to have the skyscale now.

But, have you tried a controller? I can't use a keyboard for more than 20minutes, I can use a controller for a couple of hours. It feels alot more ergonomic.

Hearts are easy... they're tedious, but easy. The game can't design it to be even more possible on limited play time. It's slow, but you've also just bought the expansion? Take your time enjoy the scenery, you'll get there.

You can buy them at Dragonfall every day too, plus as folks said, with jorbreakers during the festival. Running around breaking dragon pinatas is easy (remember they are in all the starter areas too) and those zhaitaffys add up quickly. Also you can run around the maps and mine for the currencies.

@Kaliwenda.3428 said:You can buy them at Dragonfall every day too, plus as folks said, with jorbreakers during the festival. Running around breaking dragon pinatas is easy (remember they are in all the starter areas too) and those zhaitaffys add up quickly. Also you can run around the maps and mine for the currencies.

I didn't know they were available in Dragonfall, tysm for the info! That actually helps me out a lot.

@Taygus.4571 said:I also suffer with chronic pain. You don't have to have the skyscale now.

But, have you tried a controller? I can't use a keyboard for more than 20minutes, I can use a controller for a couple of hours. It feels alot more ergonomic.

Hearts are easy... they're tedious, but easy. The game can't design it to be even more possible on limited play time. It's slow, but you've also just bought the expansion? Take your time enjoy the scenery, you'll get there.

I don't own a controller currently, but I can buy one later this month. Tysm for the info and yea, the hearts are tedious.

@Kelpersey.7614 said:

@Taygus.4571 said:I also suffer with chronic pain. You don't have to have the skyscale now.

I don't own a controller currently, but I can buy one later this month. Tysm for the info and yea, the hearts are tedious.

Ok, if you go controller. Most people like steam controller.I have used xbox 360 comtroller and currently use xbox one elite controller.

You need to use programming software like xpadder or ReWasd or steam to make a controller work. It can be a little daunting at first but it's not as complicated as it might seem. If you need help setting it up, feel free to message me. Or make a post about it. Reddit is better as there seems to be a few players who use controller that browse there.

@Kelpersey.7614 said:

@Kaliwenda.3428 said:You can buy them at Dragonfall every day too, plus as folks said, with jorbreakers during the festival. Running around breaking dragon pinatas is easy (remember they are in all the starter areas too) and those zhaitaffys add up quickly. Also you can run around the maps and mine for the currencies.

I didn't know they were available in Dragonfall, tysm for the info! That actually helps me out a lot.

The Wiki (link above, or accessed in-game by typing /Wiki in chat) is a great resource for all things Guild Wars 2. You may find it helpful for acquiring content in-game.

Good luck.

Actually, I have athritis in my hands. I do use a keyboard most of the time, but highly modified. Any normal gamer would get frustrating trying to play on my settings hehe.

Anyway, what helps a lot: A voice bot. There are tons of good programs out there, where you can link skills you use, specially ones hard to reach. (For example keys way far from the WASD) into voice commands. For example you set it up that when you say "zero" it activates your 0 skill.

Hope that this is useful for you, just giving ideas to make your play time more comfortable.

@Kelpersey.7614 said:

I'm glad. Another thing I thought of is that I found on a few of the maps that there was usually one heart that wasn't too hard to get done...for me I remember one where all you had to do was throw a rock at a target over and over, one where you just have to get people to talk to each other, one where you do matchmaking, one where you plant seeds and stomp on crystals, that kind of thing. Not so combat-based. If you can identify ones like these that are easier for you to do, you can focus on those.

I'm not trying to minimize your pain issues at all. I've been living with a fatigue issue for almost as long as you've been alive, and I've found that it helps to figure out the things that I can do, focus on those, and let the rest go. Some days that's easier said than done, and it's a struggle to stay positive. But it is what it is. Hugs to you. :)

@Linken.6345 said:what would be easier then doing the hearts for the currency? Imo its just time consumeing

Which is exactly the point here. The OP stated that they can't play more than an hour per day due to excruciating pain.

@PervMonk.4891 said:you can get the map currency for jorbreakers in this festivalbuy gems, convert then buy jorbreakers from the tp. see anet has you in their mind

You think someone with a disability like that has money to waste on in-game gold when there certainly are frequent medical expenses? Seriously...

This is true. You aren't missing out on much here. It's a mount that is worth less than the immense effort put into it.

i dont understand why anet isnt just giving out mounts, i mean (dont get me wrong) i dont care if one is disabled or not.who cares how u get the mount getting it handed to you at end of living story or having to do a non sense "quest" to get it.

no i didnt get griffon nor i will get the skyscale.yes i barely pve so that might be the reason i just dont wanna stick any time in this crap. if i had to gather xxx amount of map currencies easy, ill farm them tru reward track but when i have to do multiple things unable to do in sPvP or WvW then im out no joy for me.

on the other hand im not complaining either but i frankly dont understand why mounts should be "hard" to get or time consuming cus in gw2 nothing is hard.

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@Linken.6345 said:what would be easier then doing the hearts for the currency? Imo its just time consumeing

Which is exactly the point here. The OP stated that they can't play more than an hour per day due to excruciating pain.

@PervMonk.4891 said:you can get the map currency for jorbreakers in this festivalbuy gems, convert then buy jorbreakers from the tp. see anet has you in their mind

You think someone with a disability like that has money to waste on in-game gold when there certainly are frequent medical expenses? Seriously...

This is true. You aren't missing out on much here. It's a mount that is worth less than the immense effort put into it.

That may be, but as someone who uses a flying mount as much as possible when they can play, it would be a great help to quickly travel maps in the short amount of time I can play.

@"reddie.5861" said:i dont understand why anet isnt just giving out mounts, i mean (dont get me wrong) i dont care if one is disabled or not.who cares how u get the mount getting it handed to you at end of living story or having to do a non sense "quest" to get it.

Because people get bored if they don't have things to work for.

Niether the griffon or skyscale are needed and so make good long term goals if players choose.

@Kelpersey.7614 said:

That may be, but as someone who uses a flying mount as much as possible when they can play, it would be a great help to quickly travel maps in the short amount of time I can play.

It's helpful, but really not that much more than the bunny. You really don't need it, so just work a little every day.

tbh, I unlocked the skyscale in 3-4 weeks playing 1 hour a day. So its really not that hard or long.It'll be a bit harder now, without the mesmer ports. But I just called out in map chat, offered 5g for a portal when no mesmer was offering and needed it. Like for derelicts delve and th jackal jp.

If its takes you 2 months, then you have 2 months of something to do. Just pick 1 jp or 1 map to farm currency. You'll get there, it doesn't all have to be done in a week.

@Taygus.4571 said:

It's helpful, but really not that much more than the bunny. You really don't need it, so just work a little every day.

tbh, I unlocked the skyscale in 3-4 weeks playing 1 hour a day. So its really not that hard or long.It'll be a bit harder now, without the mesmer ports. But I just called out in map chat, offered 5g for a portal when no mesmer was offering and needed it. Like for derelicts delve and th jackal jp.

If its takes you 2 months, then you have 2 months of something to do. Just pick 1 jp or 1 map to farm currency. You'll get there, it doesn't all have to be done in a week.

True. I guess I'm a bit impatient, but I'm also trying to get it done so I can focus on other things after I have surgery soon. It'd be nice to just finally play the story out again while I'm recovering.

Is it actually required to play the game/newer maps? I'm still playing without expansions after having returned from a break since end of 2013. And sure: The mounts on old maps seem to make it easier/more comfortable. But then again old players that got all the old JP achievements and stuff back then at realease also did it without mounts. I guess for the new maps that come with the expansions some of the basic mounts are mandatory.

But I can't imagine that all mounts are required. Probably totally okay to have this one as long term goal while still being able to to most other stuff without it.

I can understand your reason to point out that issue(I've vision issues and know what it feels like). But the amount of time you can spent is similar to the amount of time a person with kids and full time job. Anet made it that way so people can't complain there's nothing to do.

But I agree with you - I'm one of the players who can do such tasks in no time( I prefarm currencies), and I know how long other people need for it. It's simply unfair. Not all people can dodge etc. with lightning reflexes and some parts of the game are already unfair to them. Also players from countries with bad internet have issues, or bad Computers. Offering alternative tasks would be the best option...

For the total time it takes... Those things are not meant to be done in some days - rather weeks or months. I totally agree with Anet that some things should take longer. I think the Griffon was a good quest length but only if you had the gold. I think the timespan you can skip with gold should be rather like 40-50%(Not just the timegates counted, also the collecting items part). It would've been nice if you could buy unique items that give you an amount of the currency x you need for the collection(just for a start 50 of everything). Of course you can argue that one could've farmed them over the time and episodes. But if we had a vendor that offers at the start let's say 50 and after a week again 50 as a boost that would be already a big help for slower players.

But the Vendor in the new map gives you already 5 of each map currency per day. If you can't play just wait a little longer and buy that stuff daily.

You're of course in a special position - I acknowledge that. I've ingame friends with similar issues. I always try to help them as much as I can with the stuff they wanna accomplish. If you need help just wsp me ingame; I will try to help you to find the most effiencient way to do each step.