Stop asking for my phone number, I'm not giving it to you

Why, after years of pressing "Remind me later" am I still being asked about my phone number?I don't want your two factor authentication and I certainly don't want to give you something as personal as my phone number for some mini.I set the "autologin" parameter to the gw2.exe and this sh*t keeps me from starting the client with a single click.Add an option "No. Leave me alone." and stop asking me about the same fucking thing for years that I'm not going to give you.

@"Arekai.5698" said:Why, after years of pressing "Remind me later" am I still being asked about my phone number?You're being asked to protect your account. Some huge fraction of support tickets are from people who have not done so and are trying to reclaim them. Sometimes, thieves are so good at learning details of unsecured accounts that the original owner ends up being unable to prove that they are the owner, that it isn't the person who has been contactng support.

So choose your form of two-factor authentication. Or keep pressing the "remind me later" button and take your chances. It's up to you.

ANet tried leaving it up to us, offering us a mini for signing up, without any additional pressure. And that didn't work. It convinced some, but not enough people.

Although email authentication is the best option with a properly secured email, ArenaNet has to assume that most people don't know what they're doing, are reusing passwords and are thus easily compromised. For this reason, they will never add an option to easily disable the reminder, but that said, it is possible to prevent it.

The reminder can be disabled by deleting gw2cache (specifically coui_web_0.localstorage) prior to launching. If you exclusively update the game using -image and only play using -sharearchive, this locks the game into read-only mode and prevents the cache from being re-used after a build change. When it can't re-use the cache, it can no longer track how many times you've logged in, so the reminder, which happens on every 2nd login, will never be shown.

For an automatic solution, see Gw2Launcher, which also supports using an authenticator so that you'll never have to deal with the code again.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@"Arekai.5698" said:Why, after years of pressing "Remind me later" am I still being asked about my phone number?You're being asked to protect your account. Some huge fraction of support tickets are from people who have not done so and are trying to reclaim them. Sometimes, thieves are so good at learning details of unsecured accounts that the original owner ends up being unable to prove that they are the owner, that it isn't the person who has been contactng support.

So choose your form of two-factor authentication. Or keep pressing the "remind me later" button and take your chances. It's up to you.

ANet tried leaving it up to us, offering us a mini for signing up, without any additional pressure. And that didn't work. It convinced some, but not enough people.

I had the code and forgot it, had support wipe the code and now never again

@"Arekai.5698" said:Add an option "No. Leave me alone." and stop asking me about the same kitten thing for years that I'm not going to give you.

Indeed. ArenaNet should give players the freedom to choose how they want to secure their account, instead of trying to force it on players. I can't help but wonder why are they so intent on having our phone numbers.

@Erasculio.2914 said:

@"Arekai.5698" said:Add an option "No. Leave me alone." and stop asking me about the same kitten thing for years that I'm not going to give you.

Indeed. ArenaNet should give players the freedom to choose how they want to secure their account, instead of trying to force it on players. I can't help but wonder why are they so intent on having our phone numbers.

Becouse its less likely a person that hack you phone is after your gw2 account then for example a person who hack/keylog your computer or email.

@"Linken.6345" said:Becouse its less likely a person that hack you phone is after your gw2 account then for example a person who hack/keylog your computer or email.

Players who can take care of themselves don't get their computer and/or e-mail hacked, and therefore don't need ArenaNet's intrusive "account protection" option.

@Erasculio.2914 said:

@"Linken.6345" said:Becouse its less likely a person that hack you phone is after your gw2 account then for example a person who hack/keylog your computer or email.

Players who can take care of themselves don't get their computer and/or e-mail hacked, and therefore don't need ArenaNet's intrusive "account protection" option.

Then those players should have no problem useing winauth either, no need to use your phone.EditOP are you ok with your No leave me alone including dont contanct us if your account get hacked in the bargin?Since you dont want to get the extra protection, then why should they help you if you get hacked?

@Erasculio.2914 said:Indeed. ArenaNet should give players the freedom to choose how they want to secure their account, instead of trying to force it on players. I can't help but wonder why are they so intent on having our phone numbers.

They only recommend SMS because it's the simplest to set up. The alternative is an authenticator, which is the only option where you generate the code yourself and can recover it yourself, making it the fastest and most reliable option.

@Dragon Priestess.9760 said:I don't have a mobile device so Lel. Couldn't give a number if I wanted to. Not everyone uses those things guys!

SMS is text or voice. It doesn't require a mobile device, it only requires a real phone number.

@Healix.5819 said:

@Erasculio.2914 said:Indeed. ArenaNet should give players the freedom to choose how they want to secure their account, instead of trying to force it on players. I can't help but wonder why are they so intent on having our phone numbers.

They only recommend SMS because it's the simplest to set up. The alternative is an authenticator, which is the only option where you generate the code yourself and can recover it yourself, making it the fastest and most reliable option.

@Dragon Priestess.9760 said:I don't have a mobile device so Lel. Couldn't give a number if I wanted to. Not everyone uses those things guys!

SMS is text or voice. It doesn't require a mobile device, it only requires a real phone number.

I used it on my landline, when I had one. I also used WinAuth. Both because I didn't have a mobile phone.

What?! Thieves? Who is paying money for hacked GW2 accounts? It seems like people aren't even willing to pay anet for accounts, even though they have essentially made farming and hacking unnecessary by making it easy to buy everything from them with money.

Always found 2 factor authentication to be a bane rather than a help. OP is right on this.

If people want to use it, more power to them, if people don't want to use it and click on "no" or "never show me again", it should never pop up again, simple as that. If you at some point want it, go to the website and set it up. The hacker argument has no validity either; Anet has made it so damn easy to gain gold in this game it's all but eliminated the gold selling market.

I have the same problem on Iphone though it's not as intrusive. Constantly prompted for 2 factor authentication but no means to turn it off.

@"DeadlySynz.3471" said:Always found 2 factor authentication to be a bane rather than a help. OP is right on this.

If people want to use it, more power to them, if people don't want to use it and click on "no" or "never show me again", it should never pop up again, simple as that. If you at some point want it, go to the website and set it up. The hacker argument has no validity either; Anet has made it so kitten easy to gain gold in this game it's all but eliminated the gold selling market.

I have the same problem on Iphone though it's not as intrusive. Constantly prompted for 2 factor authentication but no means to turn it off.

It actually has nothing to do with hackers stealing your account for gold selling purposes really, it's for the other expensive virtual goods that get stolen from your account that was hacked...and why is 2FA a bane, it's simple to use. OP is incorrect on 2FA and even the security experts would tell you that it's the easiest way to protect anything that uses it.

I had my account stolen and stripped when yahoo (the site I had my email on at the time) was compromised back in the day. Though no fault of my own, these things do happen. Fortuantely I was able to recover it and change the email associated with the account. Today, all three of my accounts have to go through my phone to be accessed. Haven't had a problem since.

~ Kovu

Shame on the people who are saying that if you don't set up phone identification that you shouldn't be allowed to contact anet or have assistance if their account is hacked.Some people don't have a consistent phone number, some people travel constantly and can't use their phone in all the countries they go to but still want to play the game.

No matter their reason, even if it is simply "I don't trust giving out my phone number", that doesn't mean they should be locked out of their account and not be able to get it back if they get hacked.

@"Mewcifer.5198" said:Shame on the people who are saying that if you don't set up phone identification that you shouldn't be allowed to contact anet or have assistance if their account is hacked.Some people don't have a consistent phone number, some people travel constantly and can't use their phone in all the countries they go to but still want to play the game.

No matter their reason, even if it is simply "I don't trust giving out my phone number", that doesn't mean they should be locked out of their account and not be able to get it back if they get hacked.

Except people have already pointed out that a phone isn't required which means some people are simply insisting on NOT protecting their own accounts.