Let's hear your baseless hopes for where the story goes next! — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Let's hear your baseless hopes for where the story goes next!

Tamias.7059Tamias.7059 Member ✭✭✭
edited July 8, 2019 in Lore

I'll go first! How's this for a story hook:

• Signs that the deep sea dragon is becoming active. Tentacled horrors appearing on the shore, seas become too dangerous to travel, Pact gearing up for a response, players prepare for another epic showdown with an Elder Dragon and then...nothing. All of a sudden, it all seems to die out.
  • A while (a few weeks? Months?) later, a resurgence in water dragon minion activity, but a shift in their behaviour. They're attacking non-humans...but leaving humans alone. Not long after, a huge armada is spotted sailing past Elona and appears off the coast of Lion's Arch. It's the Empire of the Dragon! And someone flipped the switch from "isolationist" to "expansionist".
  • The armada, led by the Protector General of the Empire of Cantha, is there with a message for the last remaining human kingdom: submit to our rule, and we will liberate Ascalon from the charr, we will safeguard you against the depredations of the asura, we will wipe out the sylvari, lest Mordremoth's influence re-assert itself, and we will end the threat of the Elder Dragons. And they have a secret weapon...
  • You see, they tackled and ended the threat of the deep sea dragon themselves. They explain patiently (because how could the Krytans possibly know this?) that according to their astronomers, the Elder Dragons play an important role in balancing the magic of the world, so if you kill an Elder Dragon, you better replace it. Fortunately, the Empire of the Dragon had just the thing...
  • It's mother-flipping Kuunavang! She's absorbed the magic of the deep sea dragon, and the Empire of the Dragon intend to use her to end the threat of the remaining dragons. And if they find it necessary to convince Kryta to accept their protection by force, they are willing to use Kuunavang in that as well. It's a twist on the formula we've seen so far - an Elder Dragon, under the control (for now) of one of the nations of Tyria, who are meddling with power that they cannot comprehend. It's an inversion of the player's relationship with Aurene and a cautionary tale of what could have been if the player had been a different person.
  • The Canthans are opposed by Dragon's Watch and, of course, by the tengu, who were driven out of one homeland and aren't prepared to have the same thing happen again. They emerge from their isolation to take up arms against the Empire of the Dragon. Are the tengu playable? Well, since this is a wild fantasy, sure, why not?
  • Is the player successful in stopping the Canthans? Well, probably not. Whatever's most interesting. Maybe they get captured - and taken to the heart of the Empire of the Dragon to share what they've learned. Their backup is limited, however - with the magic of the deep sea dragon under their control, the Empire of the Dragon truly rules the waves, and will not allow anything they perceive as a threat to follow.
  • The player arrives in Cantha to find an empire in the throes of a golden age. The state is led by the Emperor, who the people of Cantha revere almost as much as the gods, but with the gods' recent withdrawal there are signs of civil unrest brewing. Leading the government is the Ministry of Purity (who are democratically elected - bad things happening in the world aren't always the fault of a few bad people at the top, although you don't want to get too close to real-world politics), who have harnessed a spirit of nationalistic zeal following the defeat of the deep sea dragon. Evidence of the struggle is everywhere, with the not-too-distant conflict having obviously taken its toll on Kaineng City and its environs. The player might even pick up one or two hints of an impending critical resource shortage. Maybe this is the Canthans' true motivation in vassalising Kryta...
  • The story opens with the Battle of the Dominion of Winds and takes players on a voyage across the Unending Ocean, through the sunken ruins of the Battle Isles, out of the opulent halls of Raisu Palace, through the slums of Kaineng City into the mountains, down into the lush Echovald Forest, where the legacy of the ancient Kurzicks is carved into the very trees, to the shores of the Jade Sea. The secret to stopping the Empire lies deep in the prehistory of the land, dating back to the time of the last dragonrise.
  • The story builds to an epic confrontation between Kuunavang and Tyria's own equivalent - Aurene. But can the world withstand a clash between two Elder Dragons?
  • Ultimately, the Empire of the Dragon's ability to project its power across the world is fundamentally shaken, and in the aftermath it is revealed that Kryta was not the first or only human nation to become an imperial tributary. There is another...and it's time to explore it.

Now let's hear yours!

<1

Comments

• CETheLucid.3964CETheLucid.3964 Member ✭✭✭

@Konig Des Todes.2086 said:
    Yeah, we're not gonna see Cantha in Season 5. Introducing Cantha is expansion material, not LW material. And I don't think they'd kill off an Elder Dragon off-screen (or make Kuunavang suddenly a villain either but who knows there...).

I'm still holding out for the dual plot of finding replacements for Zhaitan and Mordremoth, and a charr civil war before leading into the next ED plot.

But there's a few hints planted in Dragon Bash that builds up focus for Jormag:

Reveler (female norn): He speaks to us.
    Son of Svanir: To you? Preposterous!
    Reveler (female norn): Laugh if you want, but know this: I hear everything he says.
    Reveler (female norn): You'd do well to listen.

Reveler (female norn): You have no good reason to keep us out.
    Son of Svanir: Fratricide is something we frown on. Blame Jora.
    Reveler (female norn): Open your eyes! Before they're opened for you.

Reveler (female): Dragon will rise, and on that day you will see what I'm capable of.
    Reveler (female): And then you'll answer to me.
    Son of Svanir: (dismissive grunt)

This stuff implies there's a growing female faction favoring Jormag now.

And there's also the Icebrood Claymore who's in the middle of the Sons of Svanir place, making promotional speeches for following Jormag.

So I wouldn't be surprised if Season 5 deals with or leads into Jormag instead.

He said baseless! That sounds pretty reasonable to me.

• anninke.7469anninke.7469 Member ✭✭✭

My baseless hope is to see a conflict not necessarily solved by violence. I'd love to have an option to, IDK, talk our way out of something, or some other non-smash-them-all kind of solution. Probably a very un-MMORPG like, but sometimes it's frustrating that we have to beat someone to get their help (stupid enough as it is) only to have to do the same five minutes later with their friends, because they apparently don't talk to each other or I don't know what's their problem.

Do not fear difficulty. Hard ground makes sore feet.
    Act with wisdom and axe.

• Tamias.7059Tamias.7059 Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 8, 2019

Yeah, we're not gonna see Cantha in Season 5. Introducing Cantha is expansion material, not LW material. And I don't think they'd kill off an Elder Dragon off-screen (or make Kuunavang suddenly a villain either but who knows there...).

I don't think we'd necessarily be wasting any story if the DSD were killed-off off-screen. There's a few things players are interested in about the DSD:

• its design, which we could still see - maybe its corpse crushed a district of Kaineng City upon its defeat, or we have to venture inside it for some story reason,
    • how it operates, its minions, etc., and that's something we could see Kuunavang doing instead after absorbing its power,
    • learning more about the krait and the largos, but I think we'll either never get to see that or it'll be decoupled from what will ultimately be the DSD's role in the story because I think it's vanishingly unlikely that we'll get much more underwater content

But we could maybe find a place for the DSD on-screen, as well. Maybe LS5 is the fight against the DSD, and it is unceremoniously killed and the Empire of the Dragon introduced at the end? Personally I think there's more value in having it happen off-screen as a demonstration of the new threat's power and also as a way of emphasising that just because stuff isn't going on in the corner of the world where the player is, doesn't mean that it isn't happening.

I wasn't thinking Kuunavang as a villain as much as an Elder Dragon that is loyal to a nation - a "good" (not mindless/endlessly devouring) Elder Dragon but with allegiances of its own that may differ to the player's. That'd give her a more complex motivation than the Elder Dragons we've seen so far. Maybe she could be won round, and her and Aurene can form the basis of a "good" pantheon of vessels for the Elder Dragons' magic - after all, it can't be good for the balance of The All to have the magic of Zhaitan, Mordremoth, and Kralkatorrik (plus a bit of Primordus and Jormag via Balthazar) concentrated into a single being, let alone the magic of the rest of the dragons.

• derd.6413derd.6413 Member ✭✭✭✭

eiter sons of svanir trying to awaken jormag or charr civil war

I Have No friends, so I Must pug

• Arden.7480Arden.7480 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 8, 2019

I think the story will be focusing on both the Mists and mainly Norn, not really Jormag themed, just a lot of Norn lore.

I have a theory about the actual Norn origins, and I think it was hinted in... the Shattered Observatory.

Viirastra, Skorvald, the Harbinger of Woe - the God-Norn looking and behaving echoes of powerful entities that show the complexity of both the Norn and the Sons of Svanir.

Viirastra - playful personality, cherishing a good fight and fun.
    Skolvard - need to break free and act, fight till the enemies crash.
    Harbinger of Woe - the darkness and despair, but also an ominous silence... almost freezing.

The message on him could actually be showing the first home of the Norn that got destroyed, and he wants to restore it.

Tyria was chosen by the Spirits to live. But there was a call from another entity that was calling to some on the Norns offering freedom different than the Spirits and Norn-Gods - Jormag - the Ice Dragon.

I think Season 5 will be all about the known and unknown Mists' secrets.

The wound is the place where the Light enters you ~Stephane Lo Presti

• draxynnic.3719draxynnic.3719 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Arden.7480 said:
    I think the story will be focusing on both the Mists and mainly Norn, not really Jormag themed, just a lot of Norn lore.

I have a theory about the actual Norn origins, and I think it was hinted in... the Shattered Observatory.

Viirastra, Skorvald, the Harbinger of Woe - the God-Norn looking and behaving echoes of powerful entities that show the complexity of both the Norn and the Sons of Svanir.

Harbinger of Woe - the darkness and despair, but also an ominous silence... almost freezing.

The message on him could actually be showing the first home of the Norn that got destroyed, and he wants to restore it.

Tyria was chosen by the Spirits to live. But there was a call from another entity that was calling to some on the Norns offering freedom different than the Spirits and Norn-Gods - Jormag - the Ice Dragon.

One thing I would note is that the Gods have often been shown as being larger than humans as well, including Balthazar and Kormir in person. It's possible that the Mist entities that you're referring to are not related to the norn, but are closer in nature to demigods, or are Mist entities/demons similar to Razah.

• Tamias.7059Tamias.7059 Member ✭✭✭

@draxynnic.3719 said:

@Arden.7480 said:

One thing I would note is that the Gods have often been shown as being larger than humans as well, including Balthazar and Kormir in person. It's possible that the Mist entities that you're referring to are not related to the norn, but are closer in nature to demigods, or are Mist entities/demons similar to Razah.

I think the gods are definitely somehow related to humans, as they look similar and both come from the same world in the Mists (as far as we know).

That could be another direction for the Gods' story to take - they return to Tyria, having found a new homeworld for their chosen free from Elder Dragons, and they want everyone to come with them. I think that'd be a better lead-in for GW3, though.

• Fenom.9457Fenom.9457 Member ✭✭✭✭

Baseless hopes? Give us the woodland cascades please! Plot something like classic fantasy of some kind.

Otherwise I expect either a Charr civil war or another dragon perhaps

HARRY! DIDYA PUT YER NAME IN DA GOBLET OF FIYAH?!

• Adamixos.6785Adamixos.6785 Member ✭✭
    edited July 8, 2019

@Tamias.7059 said:

I don't think we'd necessarily be wasting any story if the DSD were killed-off off-screen. There's a few things players are interested in about the DSD:

• its design, which we could still see - maybe its corpse crushed a district of Kaineng City upon its defeat, or we have to venture inside it for some story reason,
    • how it operates, its minions, etc., and that's something we could see Kuunavang doing instead after absorbing its power,
    • learning more about the krait and the largos, but I think we'll either never get to see that or it'll be decoupled from what will ultimately be the DSD's role in the story because I think it's vanishingly unlikely that we'll get much more underwater content

But we could maybe find a place for the DSD on-screen, as well. Maybe LS5 is the fight against the DSD, and it is unceremoniously killed and the Empire of the Dragon introduced at the end? Personally I think there's more value in having it happen off-screen as a demonstration of the new threat's power and also as a way of emphasising that just because stuff isn't going on in the corner of the world where the player is, doesn't mean that it isn't happening.

I wasn't thinking Kuunavang as a villain as much as an Elder Dragon that is loyal to a nation - a "good" (not mindless/endlessly devouring) Elder Dragon but with allegiances of its own that may differ to the player's. That'd give her a more complex motivation than the Elder Dragons we've seen so far. Maybe she could be won round, and her and Aurene can form the basis of a "good" pantheon of vessels for the Elder Dragons' magic - after all, it can't be good for the balance of The All to have the magic of Zhaitan, Mordremoth, and Kralkatorrik (plus a bit of Primordus and Jormag via Balthazar) concentrated into a single being, let alone the magic of the rest of the dragons.

There is another, simpler angle to it too.

After literally having dealt with the Elder Dragon magic non-sense for 7 years straight, an off-screen dragon death with a far more sinister agenda behind it would be exponentially refreshing. And if that's Canthan imperialism? Hell yes, bring it on! (Everything changed when... you know ;) )

Same goes for the Charr civil war mentioned by @Konig Des Todes.2086.

• sarkysek.1085sarkysek.1085 Member ✭✭✭

I just want Rox and Braham to finally become a couple, live in peace with the Olmakhan and be happy :)

• Psientist.6437Psientist.6437 Member ✭✭✭

Caithe and her blossoms organize a rebuilding effort, employing Tyrians of all races and trades. This is used to introduce player housing.

Aurene releases her white paper on the flow of magic. Using the analogy of Tyrian magic as real world finance: Elder dragons are the equivalent of "too big to fail", corruptible banks. Her white paper proposes an alternative where the flow of magic is maintained on a public ledger, all Tyrians would play a part in maintaining the flow of magic and the integrity of the All.

Jormag and Primordius are on board with her proposal but the DSD says nope and tries to drown the world. The DSD rises from the depths lowering sea level and exposing new land. The Commander, Jormag and Primordius stand shoulder to wing and face the DSD on a soggy battlefield.

A cape glider skin is released because....wait I forgot this can be baseless.

all primes work and not tearing down has value
    ready purrlayer @ any parsed feels enhance the value of something that is already worth everything
    what other chordal approach but penultimate singing along with other quantum cuddle clocks

• Kashin.7192Kashin.7192 Member ✭✭

I would really hope for an expansion, that while it continues the story of the world, is similar to GW1 expansions. By that I mean, its a new starting area. Cantha since its been closed off for so long. Human, Asura, maybe one or two new starting races that can only be started from the area. Majority of the same professions, with one or two new ones. To be a Ritualist again, that would be fun! (I was hoping Dervish would have come back with PoF). Then start from the beginning, build up a new character with a new story that ties into the continuation of the world!

Races:
    Human
    Asura
    Tengu
    Largos
    Rakshasa (a regional variant of Charr)

Professions:
    Mesmer
    Ritualist
    Guardian
    Monk (makes a return!)
    Elementalist
    Warrior (or some such variant)
    Necromancer
    Assassin

Her invention, a navigational tool she had titled "the sextant". The first who laughed at the name found himself unable to speak properly for a week. The instrument had so revolutionized navigation that the city had named a section of the docks after her: Macha's Landing.

• I wanna see a battle between two elder dragons that will end Tyria as a whole if we don't stop it.

Or maybe the whole gw2 universe, I dunno. The energy from two of them would most likely seep out to the other dimensions and destroy them as well.

• Sajuuk Khar.1509Sajuuk Khar.1509 Member ✭✭✭

I personally expect that S5 will be like S3 was, and involve us hoping around various parts of Tyria, and maybe some of the remaining parts of Elona, to put out various "fires" that have sprung up in the aftermath of Kralatorik's defeat. That way, when we go to Cantha or wherever for the next expansion, Tyria/Elona will be in a calm enough state that a long time expedition to some far away place makes sense.

Personally, I hope for Cantha/Bubbles for the next expansion, but I would also be fine with Primordus/The Depths for the next expansion either. I really don't care about Jormag, the Norn, or the Far Shiverpeaks, so that's bottom of my list.

• Edelweiss.4261Edelweiss.4261 Member ✭✭✭

I'd honestly rather we never go anywhere near Kaineng City. Besides, I'd rather focus on something not centered around humans. I'd like either Norn/Jormag, Depths/Primordus, or random islands/DSD. No need for Cantha.

• Space. We're gonna go to space. The final cutscene of War Eternal clearly showed a starry sky at one point while Aurene was flying around, so that's all the foundation I need to take a silly idea and run with it. Besides, how else are we going to fight Ridley, the previously unmentioned Elder Dragon of Space, if we don't go to space and kick his butt? For the umpteenth time, because he has this problem with actually staying dead...

We should go to space.

• Narcemus.1348Narcemus.1348 Member ✭✭✭

Not story, but I have a friend who is dead certain that we will be having a spider mount that can use the Oakheart's Essense "spider man pull" and cling to the walls.

• Musaroxy.2874Musaroxy.2874 Member ✭✭✭

I adore the baseless notion that our next Elder Dragon fight will be with Bubbles, but rather than going to Cantha, (It was my favorite part of Guild Wars 1, but I don't feel like now is the right time, especially considering the Human-centric streak we've been on.) we'll be going to whatever homebase/city the Largos have. I dream of sprawling cities at the bottom reaches of the ocean, kept air tight by large air pockets created through tech/magic the Largos use. (They don't seem like they can breathe water, since they wear their masks at all times, including underwater.) Luminous cities that are threatening to be flooded by the force of the Deep Sea Dragon's expansion across the seas. They already lost their cities to the south, and now, much to the dismay of many of them due to their honor-based culture, the Elites in their society have elected to enlist the help of the Pact (and by extent the Commander, who is perhaps contacted specifically by one of the Largos who has seen them in action. I.e. Sayeh.) in order to not have their honor tarnished by another massive loss. I don't know for sure whether this would be presented through an Expac or a Season, but I imagine as time goes on Current Events start popping up across the world of Tyria, starting in the south and moving north as people talk about ships disappearing like they did back in the days after Zhaitan rose, and how the bodies of water seem to be straight up possessed. We're airdropped from an airship and guided down through various underwater zones to the city, where we start to consult, plan, and learn more about the Largos, until the bubble bursts (quite literally), and we're met with our first confrontation with the unspeakable nightmare that is the Deep Sea Dragon.

"You know what they say: Curiosity pruned the Sylvari."

• mercury ranique.2170mercury ranique.2170 Member ✭✭✭✭

My prediction for the next season is that it will focus on the 5 races once again. Ever since the threat of the elder dragons, we have been working on a common goal and the commander has grown beyond his own race and faction as a fighter for the entire world. This means he/she can be envolved with all faccets of the races. There are many bits and pieces left. So I predict 5 sidestories ultimately comming together.

Human: The rise of the white mantle has caused a new civil war.. with Lazarus and Balthazar gone, the balance has shifted again, but the shining blade and the Queen are activly working on resolving the conflict with the white mantle once and for all.
    Norn: There are several factions forming. some wants to move back north totheir old homesteads. Some want to stay where they are. Some want to worship the dragon and others oppose it. the assasination of Knut Whitebeard brings this back in a political battle over the leadership of the norn while struggling to keep the community together.
    Charr: The cement of the Charr has been war and conflict for a long time. Now the final threat is over the search is for a new enemy. They just can not be without conflict as peace would overthrow the charr society. However, the newly found Olmakhan shows more and more Charr that there is a different way of life. One of peace and without constant conflict. This leads to tensions and internal conflicts.
    Asura: Now primordus is back asleep many want to return to their old dwellings in the depths of Tyria. Others want to remain at home.
    Silvari: the secret is out. They are dragon minions. The tree lied to them and they struggle to find their new focus. In the past society was devided by first born and second born, but now it s more between those who answered to Mordremoths call and those who did not. The guidance of the pale tree and ventari's tablet is openly questioned as part of this.

• I want to know more about the gods, like what are their origins. I hope that it turns out the gods are like constructs similar to the exalted, except on a grander scale. Also with the mists in shambles I want them to reveal a higher power. Something beyond both the gods and the dragons. Perhaps this higher power is the one/s that created the gods, and maybe even the dragons, possibly "mother".

• Sovereign.1093Sovereign.1093 Member ✭✭✭✭

i want inter race love :3

Not Even Coverage is the Only broken thing in WVW.

• Svennis.3852Svennis.3852 Member ✭✭✭

I really like your ideas, OP! An interesting inversion of our story, though I’d be disappointed we would never get to deep dive into the DSD.

My baseless hope is that we find Malyck again and his tree! And other isolated pockets of Sylvari, an aquatic subrace in particular! Sylvari mermaids! Heck yeah...

Zojja reappears to help us lol. I don’t care how or why at this point.

We revisit some old maps with new story content. Honestly I don’t see why the maps would have to change to accommodate a new story, necessarily.

The Tengu contact DW and we get ushered into the Domionion of Winds! Perhaps to deal with some kind of dragon corruption that’s been leaking into their territory that they can’t control anymore.

• Westenev.5289Westenev.5289 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 15, 2019

I kind of hope someone will continue where Joko left off, and start a full blown smear campaign against the Commander. I mean, we've literally killed a god and three elder dragons so far... yet nobody is afraid of us?

• Ultramex.1506Ultramex.1506 Member ✭✭✭

My baseless hopes: Anywhere but Cantha also let us see Destiny Edge reunion one last time now that Kralk is dead.

• Stand The Wall.6987Stand The Wall.6987 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 15, 2019

some main characters die, dragons come back with a vengeance and ravage the land, peasants flee in terror.

story goes from 12 year old target audience to adults. might pay attention then.

you don't know till you know, ya know.

@Narcemus.1348 said:
    Not story, but I have a friend who is dead certain that we will be having a spider mount that can use the Oakheart's Essense "spider man pull" and cling to the walls.

That was originally going to happen but dropped because it scared some people. Also the skyscale’s wall clinging is kind of that feature already so not likely

• Narcemus.1348Narcemus.1348 Member ✭✭✭

@Fenom.9457 said:

@Narcemus.1348 said:

That was originally going to happen but dropped because it scared some people. Also the skyscale’s wall clinging is kind of that feature already so not likely

Honestly, this baseless idea was long before the sky scale existed. And I feel like the spider would be a very different situation than the skyscale.

• ThatOddOne.4387ThatOddOne.4387 Member ✭✭✭

More God stuff, at least tie off the loose ends if you're getting rid of them for good, ArenaNet.

• Telwyn.1630Telwyn.1630 Member ✭✭

@sarkysek.1085 said:
    I just want Rox and Braham to finally become a couple, live in peace with the Olmakhan and be happy :)

I just pretend Rox is love with my male human fighter character Tarwin cause I love her.

edited July 17, 2019

With the elder dragon threat mostly resolved now I been thinking, besides Elona having a long long recovering effort with the pact commader, and allies help.
    That is their a risk of the charr legions breaking their temporary treaty with the humans of Ascalon in Ebonhawk, and the kingdom of Kryta?
    This could happen because Fume brighteye's (who hates humans just cause her sire Hothor Brightblood was killed, which could be the reason she hates humans.) somehow replaces Smodur the Unflinching maybe he is killed or he unable to lead, cause he has been poison or something has caused him to be unable to be Iron Legions leader, and breaks the treaty and with Imperator Bangar Ruinbringer who also hates humans (which includes my Ascalonain male human character Tarwin even if he help the charr countless times in missions in the game and dose not have any reason to hate the charr.) purposely breaks the treaty with both Fume, and Banga declaring all the charr who helped the humans, and fought with them, as traitors including the charr pact commanders, this would shatter warbands as many charr warbands, have warband mates in the Pact and in Lions Arch city, and any other group that has humans in it.

Many charr including Rytock the charr pact commanders, and other charr heroes, and so many charr all over Tyria who just found out they been kicked out of the legions cause they work with humans would feel betrayed, and may fight with my character Tarwin just to stop the Hostile charr from trying to start another war with the humans of Ascalon again.

The war would see so many charr in the pact, including Ash Legion, and their leader Malice Swordshadow, the Iron, Blood legion charr who do not want to fight the humans of Ascalon, or believe this is outrageous that Fume and Bangar, and other charr who side with the two Imperator are foolishly starting a war with humans just cause they hate them so muchbeing force to fight the legions under Fume and Banger.
    This war would see my character Tarwin the pact commader trying to win as many charr to his side as possible, and save his home Ebonhawk, defeat the hostile charr that started the war and remove both Fume Brighteye's , and Bangar Ruinbringer from power, the war would see the charr legions as a whole crippled as many charr refuse to support Fume Brighteye's, and Bangar Ruinbringer and many more fight for them, so many people on both sides Fume Brighteye's, and Bangar Ruinbringer side and on Tarwin the pact commanders side would die.

And then their be bitter male and female charr on both sides that lost something, their warband, their reason to fight, and wanting to know what they are really been fighting for, some charr may have even lost the will to fight cause they cannot bare to kill another one of their own kin. My human character Tarwin confronting Fume would probably get some self justification how (applies if your cahracteer is human) Tarwin's race humans are are at fault for killing her sire Hothor Brightblood, Tarwin responding her justification of the war is wrong (Fume Brighteyes could maybe be Mentally insane and not really in charge and the real one in charge of the war could Be Bangar who could be using Fume to further his possible plan to become Khan-ur so maybe Fume is just being used.) Fume, either will die fighting Tarwin, and his allies, or Tarwin after beating her in combat is able talk her down, that both of them do not have to be enemies and he willing to speak on her behave so she can be spared, (because Tarwin believes in mercy) and is able to get Fume Brighteyes to surrender. Bangar would certainly die fighting as he will never give up to a human. Banger would try and killTarwin in some duel only to be killed by Rytlock who is very angry at Banger, and hates him for nearly destroying the Legions by starting another war.

The after math of the war would see the legions in bad shape crippled from fighting Tarwin, and his allies, and from within, the legions could be at risk of falling apart at this point that someone among the charr must become Khan-ur to unit the charr and keep the legions from falling into chaos, who would it be I have no idea.
    This is all something that could happen either in the after math of guild wars 2 or during the game itself in the next season, will happen it could , as what I wrote above could happen.

• Dragana.1497Dragana.1497 Member ✭✭✭

@mercury ranique.2170 said:

Norn: There are several factions forming. some wants to move back north totheir old homesteads. Some want to stay where they are. Some want to worship the dragon and others oppose it. the assasination of Knut Whitebeard brings this back in a political battle over the leadership of the norn while struggling to keep the community together.

I don't think you understand the norn very much.

"I'm not quite what I thought I was but then again I'm maybe more"

edited July 22, 2019

Hrrrmn. Long-term, I see a return to Cantha, but I'd see that as expansion content and I wouldn't expect the entirety of season 5 to be "preparing to go to Cantha".

So here's my thoughts:

We have a lot of loose ends hanging for the Norn at the moment - Braham's damaging of the tooth and new Destiny's Edge, hints in Dragon Bash of something going on with Norn women claiming to be in communion with Dragon, which given the timing might be linked to Aurene's ascension, and while magic is still in a highly concentrated state, it's unlikely that Jormag and Primordus will remain in hibernation for long. It's also been a while since the norn got the focus at all. So I'd expect Season 5 to start off with exploring these themes, possibly featuring a location north of Bitterfrost Frontier which the norn have been pushing into.

Second chapter switches to the charr. With no new crisis immediately looming, Smodur thinks it's time for Rytlock to attempt the ghost-cleansing ritual again. The ritual gets interrupted by Flame Legion, and one of the important artifacts for the ritual is stolen. We pursue the Flame Legion to their new base north of Fireheart Rise, where at the conclusion of the chapter, evidence is found that Bangar Ruinbringer had informed the Flame Legion of the ritual.

Third chapter brings us back to the west. We finally get an update on Zojja's condition and look into Taimi's. We also find evidence that destroyer activity is on the rise again - possibly including a return to the Fire Islands.

Fourth chapter starts with a cry for help from the norn. Jormag has risen again, and in the climax of the battle, the realisation is made that we simply can't destroy Jormag right now since doing so without a replacement would overturn the balance of magic.

In the fifth chapter, we see the response of the Iron and Ash Legions to Bangar's apparent betrayal in Chapter 2. Charr civil war concludes with sneaking Rytlock in to challenge Bangar for the title of Imperator.

For the finale, the walls of the Dominion of Winds are breached as the tengu are subjected to a large-scale Destroyer invasion, forcing them to call for Pact assistance. During the fighting, the tengu learn about Glint's plan and legacy, and raise the possibility that Kuunavang might make a good candidate. The season concludes with preparations being made for an expedition.

(The charr and norn subplots could potentially be switched in the order.)

@draxynnic.3719 said:
    Hrrrmn. Long-term, I see a return to Cantha, but I'd see that as expansion content and I wouldn't expect the entirety of season 5 to be "preparing to go to Cantha".

So here's my thoughts:

We have a lot of loose ends hanging for the Norn at the moment - Braham's damaging of the tooth and new Destiny's Edge, hints in Dragon Bash of something going on with Norn women claiming to be in communion with Dragon, which given the timing might be linked to Aurene's ascension, and while magic is still in a highly concentrated state, it's unlikely that Jormag and Primordus will remain in hibernation for long. It's also been a while since the norn got the focus at all. So I'd expect Season 5 to start off with exploring these themes, possibly featuring a location north of Bitterfrost Frontier which the norn have been pushing into.

Second chapter switches to the charr. With no new crisis immediately looming, Smodur thinks it's time for Rytlock to attempt the ghost-cleansing ritual again. The ritual gets interrupted by Flame Legion, and one of the important artifacts for the ritual is stolen. We pursue the Flame Legion to their new base north of Fireheart Rise, where at the conclusion of the chapter, evidence is found that Bangar Ruinbringer had informed the Flame Legion of the ritual.

Third chapter brings us back to the west. We finally get an update on Zojja's condition and look into Taimi's. We also find evidence that destroyer activity is on the rise again - possibly including a return to the Fire Islands.

Fourth chapter starts with a cry for help from the norn. Jormag has risen again, and in the climax of the battle, the realisation is made that we simply can't destroy Jormag right now since doing so without a replacement would overturn the balance of magic.

In the fifth chapter, we see the response of the Iron and Ash Legions to Bangar's apparent betrayal in Chapter 2. Charr civil war concludes with sneaking Rytlock in to challenge Bangar for the title of Imperator.

For the finale, the walls of the Dominion of Winds are breached as the tengu are subjected to a large-scale Destroyer invasion, forcing them to call for Pact assistance. During the fighting, the tengu learn about Glint's plan and legacy, and raise the possibility that Kuunavang might make a good candidate. The season concludes with preparations being made for an expedition.

Hey maybe then we free at last the flame legions female charr slaves at long last cause I been wanting to free the flame legions female charr for so long.

@draxynnic.3719 said:

So here's my thoughts:

That’s not bad! Except the bangar plot would likely escalate to a blood legion attack on the other races and charr legions, and be a new expansion

• mercury ranique.2170mercury ranique.2170 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Dragana.1497 said:

@mercury ranique.2170 said:

I don't think you understand the norn very much.

I do not think that you understand the art of argumenting very well. It means that it helps if you actually make one, isntead of just saying that someone is not understanding the norn very well.

Norn are highly individualistic and prefer living on their own. However, they do like to get together to feast and brawl together (and to have their legends told by the Skaald). for this purpose they need to get together. With the Dragon bash festival there where/are (havent checked if it stayed) some additional lines of dialogue in the sons of svanir area in Houlbrak explaining about the current debate about dragons.

I think you might have a fan fiction understanding of the Norn, but without further arguments from your side, I think my understanding seems to be very well in line with my theory.

@Fenom.9457 said:

@draxynnic.3719 said:

So here's my thoughts:

That’s not bad! Except the bangar plot would likely escalate to a blood legion attack on the other races and charr legions, and be a new expansion

Possibly, possibly not. If you consider the White Mantle arc, for instance, that was a few raid wings and three chapters of Season 3. An inter-legion charr war might well be more than a couple of chapters, but I don't see an internal problem for one race that isn't linked to the overarching story (elder dragons, Glint's legacy, and the magic overload) being an expansion.

They could leave it still brewing while the Commander focuses on other things, but promotion through challenge has been presented as being a significant part of charr culture, especially the Blood Legion. It's something that means such a crisis can be as long and short as ArenaNet wishes it to be.

@Tarlonniel.6534 said:
    My wishlist for Season 5:

• No saving the world stuff. We've saved the world umpteen times already, it's giving Princess Peach a run for her money.
    • No big, overarching villain plot. We've killed three elder dragons, a god, two would-be gods and a few more leftovers from GW1. We deserve a rest. Do commanders/champions/whatever get vacation days? Overtime?
    • Let's wrap up some more loose ends. Find Malyck's tree, wipe out the Flame Legion, see how the Olmakhan affect Charr society, drink beer with the Norn, check on the Inquest and Nightmare Court, catch up with the Pale Tree, do more drinking with the Norn...
    • Visit the Dominion of Winds. We've got all sorts of flying, gliding and jumping abilities now, that would be a great place to use them.
    • Figure out what's going on with Dragon's Watch. Maybe we can finally get Canach to join? Please?
    • Lord Swordmaster Faren.

And making sure the that the charr like Banager and Fume do not start another war jsut cause the elder dragons are dead or asleep.

main hero becomes race/dragon/god hybrid. and fights gods next time. :P

• Hannelore.8153Hannelore.8153 Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 23, 2019

For the record, people saying that Cantha won't happen because its Human-centric: It can be Tengu-centric instead. They played a heavy part in Cantha, and if they tied it in with them as a new race and opening up the Dominion of Winds, it could very well work.

But I imagine that we're going to the Blood Legion Homelands instead, the Charr have been backseat for a while.

Daisuki[SUKI] Founder | Mains Mariyuuna | ♀♥♀
    Akarissa, Auratashi, Hanamariko, Kanasuki, Kokonomori, Korisaki, Manakuro, Sarehtori, Terakura, Yukianna
    Alice Ryven, Alisha Kei, Baxia Tres, Caelia Flamestrike, Kiryka Darkwillow, Rikka Rowe, Tawni Rosemary, Thea Lux

WE NEED THE TENGU PLAYABLE RACE NOT JUST A SKIN AND SO DO WE NEED THE KODANS. skrit need to be made too

• ThatOddOne.4387ThatOddOne.4387 Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 23, 2019

Whilst I personally want to see some focus on the charr and norn, I still don't really get this whole aversion to "human-centric" stuff, especially when that human-centric stuff almost invariably involves breaking down some core aspects of Guild Wars humans and generally kicking them about and laughing at them. Isn't that what people opposed to "human-centric" stuff like to see?

And by it's nature, anything based on Guild Wars 1 stuff will be "human-centric" because they were the only playable race. That's just a fact that people are going to have to accept at some point.

@ThatOddOne.4387 Largely agreed here, but I think it is fair to say that the last time the norn got more then a "hey, we still exist!" was back in early Season 1.

• Pia.5839Pia.5839 Member
    edited July 24, 2019

I do worry that season 5 will be too scattered in terms of overall story - much like season 3, where we were ping-ponging all over the place following different leads only very loosely related to the dragon threat - I wasn't too fond of that approach to a LW season. However, there are TONS of loose threads that need to be dealt with, and I could forgive a messy overall plot if they got addressed:

• Malyck's tree (#1 story wish for me)
    • Where is Zojja? And can we get an original DE reunion with her included?
    • Aurene's found her way, but how do we deal with the imbalance of death and plant-based magics?
    • Braham damaged Jormag's tooth, but I don't think we've spoken a word about that since
    • Rytlock needs to circle back to the foefire cleansing we attempted in season 2

If none of these things are part of the picture, then I truly hope for either a Norn-centric plot, or a Charr-centric plot for the upcoming season and even into the next expansion. I main Sylvari but Norn have gotten the short end of things for far too long. Feels like nearly every Norn NPC is either mocked/laughed at or used as fodder for story-based deaths. Would love to see that change. Charr need love and story development too so I'd love to see us travel deeper into their homelands etc. For me personally, I'd rather hold on the Cantha/Tengu/DSD stuff until either next xpac, or preferably the one after that.

@Pia.5839 said:
    I do worry that season 5 will be too scattered in terms of overall story - much like season 3, where we were ping-ponging all over the place following different leads only very loosely related to the dragon threat - I wasn't too fond of that approach to a LW season. However, there are TONS of loose threads that need to be dealt with, and I could forgive a messy overall plot if they got addressed:

• Malyck's tree (#1 story wish for me)
    • Where is Zojja? And can we get an original DE reunion with her included?
    • Aurene's found her way, but how do we deal with the imbalance of death and plant-based magics?
    • Braham damaged Jormag's tooth, but I don't think we've spoken a word about that since
    • Rytlock needs to circle back to the foefire cleansing we attempted in season 2

If none of these things are part of the picture, then I truly hope for either a Norn-centric plot, or a Charr-centric plot for the upcoming season and even into the next expansion. I main Sylvari but Norn have gotten the short end of things for far too long. Feels like nearly every Norn NPC is either mocked/laughed at or used as fodder for story-based deaths. Would love to see that change. Charr need love and story development too so I'd love to see us travel deeper into their homelands etc. For me personally, I'd rather hold on the Cantha/Tengu/DSD stuff until either next xpac, or preferably the one after that.

I want too see what the charrr legions think of the Olamakan and if the charr legions are now at risk of having hostile charr try and start another war agains the humans of Ascalon and Kyrta cause the charr leader never said they be at peace forever no I believe a number of foolish charr like Banger and Fume will attempt to force the charr to start hating the humans again when so many charr do not care about that now, and will to start the war again.

mmm... they will make a living story in edge of the mist =p

https://i.imgur.com/SlfothX.jpg

Looks like we're going north to the Shiverpeaks. -points west-

Yess I really hope the next expansion will be the far shiverpeaks

• cptaylor.2670cptaylor.2670 Member ✭✭✭✭

While it's likely that's snow, especially the new snowy skyboxes in the game, the announcement "snowy" pic also looks like someone standing in a cave of a cliffside with a storm and waves crashing against the cliffs spraying water.

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.