Embrace the Darkness: Why weaker in PvE?

Dreamreaver.4908

It's a left over nerf from when PoF first came out and condi renegade was top dps with just camping mace/axe with EtD channel and Kalla-spam.

They chopped EtD and nerfed Lasting Legacy pretty quick after release... Although with the buffed-shortbow it wouldn't super matter anymore, since you do more damage spending your energy on active skills now instead of aa'ing and channeling anyways. But yeah, it was in the name of promoting active gameplay or whatever.

Yep, whenever there,'s an opportunity I will say this top - bring Mallyx back to the HoT launch form.It used to be one of the most fun things on the game for me, the most unique concept that had perfect trade-offs and was something more than just spamming Torment.

So, rather than giving that 15% bonus to EtD, I'd rather deal less damage and have more fun using this legend.

@KidRoleplay.3615 said:How did Mallyx function back in the beta days? Unfortunately, the wiki only goes back so far when it comes to skills and descriptions.

basically he was a monster when it came down to condi, he would become more powerful the more condis put on him and then either throw them back or simply heal off of them. There was so much more to his kit and with the current way the game is played in pvp and wvw he would be a monster; Able to wade into sandshades and all the condition damage builds out there and hard counter them. His one counter are power builds, or were power builds and he had alot of synergies with other legends which as of now he does not have.

They neutered him because they thought he was too power-creeped, and now we have PoF. Frankly even reverting him wouldn't be enough as he would need more done to his skills to make them worth using but it would be a step in the right direction.

Oh I could definitely get behind that. In its current iteration, for it to be the main condition legend, you tend to get dominated by conditions. One boon strip and you're already pretty much dead. :( That or you're always out of energy trying not to be and so can't do anything anyways until your legend swap recharges.

@Thornwolf.9721 said:

@KidRoleplay.3615 said:How did Mallyx function back in the beta days? Unfortunately, the wiki only goes back so far when it comes to skills and descriptions.

basically he was a monster when it came down to condi, he would become more powerful the more condis put on him and then either throw them back or simply heal off of them. There was so much more to his kit and with the current way the game is played in pvp and wvw he would be a monster; Able to wade into sandshades and all the condition damage builds out there and hard counter them. His one counter are power builds, or were power builds and he had alot of synergies with other legends which as of now he does not have.

They neutered him because they thought he was too power-creeped, and now we have PoF. Frankly even reverting him wouldn't be enough as he would need more done to his skills to make them worth using but it would be a step in the right direction.

They didn't say it was because he was too strong. I played with that version of Mallyx and I want him back too, but it was because allies would pull or cleanse condi from the revenant and keep weakening them, creating tension in groups because the revenant couldn't sustain their intended playstyle. Plus, this would be much harder to do now with Demonic Defiance nerfed as it is. Revenants would need more uptime on resistance if we wanted the old Mallyx back, or we'd be forced into concentration builds.

@CutesySylveon.8290 said:

They didn't say it was because he was too strong. I played with that version of Mallyx and I want him back too, but it was because allies would pull or cleanse condi from the revenant and keep weakening them, creating tension in groups because the revenant couldn't sustain their intended playstyle. Plus, this would be much harder to do now with Demonic Defiance nerfed as it is. Revenants would need more uptime on resistance if we wanted the old Mallyx back, or we'd be forced into concentration builds.

They could rework him so that condition damage just didn't effect him at all within the stance; This or they could make it that once a condition is dumped on the rev it changes into a special benefit and is no longer effected by cleanses? There has to be a way to allow the playstyle, might be hard to figure out but im sure there is a work-around to make it a playstyle in the current game.

@Thornwolf.9721 said:

They could rework him so that condition damage just didn't effect him at all within the stance; This or they could make it that once a condition is dumped on the rev it changes into a special benefit and is no longer effected by cleanses? There has to be a way to allow the playstyle, might be hard to figure out but im sure there is a work-around to make it a playstyle in the current game.

That's a bit too passive, I feel. At the very least, condition damage and/ or effect mitigation should be on something that requires energy upkeep. Otherwise you could AFK in Mallyx and not die to things that do condition damage and no power damage behind it. It'd be game breaking.

I however do feel like Mallyx base resistance values in both Pain Absorption and Demonic Defiance could use even just 1 extra second of base resistance. And Replenishing Despair needs to not be awful, and/ or provide specific additional healing when you're inflicted by Torment specifically. I mean, Mallyx is supposed to be the Torment master after all.

@Thornwolf.9721 said:

@"KidRoleplay.3615" said:How did Mallyx function back in the beta days? Unfortunately, the wiki only goes back so far when it comes to skills and descriptions.

While its true, tbh it doesn't need to be any different. Take a look at scourge and some old condi necro in gameplay in PvE that revolved around not only applying conditions, but giving yourself conditions and transferring them.

I was watching this and honestly? this is fine. Maybe the UA displacement shouldn't come back, but everything else I literally see zero problems with. Do the self condi's get cleansed too quickly in open world? Sure but not really in raids at least.

@narcx.3570 and @""KidRoleplay.3615" , EtD was always 10% in PvE. I think Anet thought that Mallyx should be played in sPvP by popping Mallyx, then EtD with Demonic Resistance and Steadfast Rejuvenation. On paper it seems cool. But Anet seems to forget when balancing shit nowadays, the amount of boon RIP and CC currently present in the game. This is why these mediocre fixes do not work. And as Narcx mentioned, if it they merged the PvP version with PvE it will probably come with a nerf to something else. Though I would be very happy if they nerf the stupid passive Kalla stacks (I would rather they remove them entirely) and buff weapons and other utilities to compensate. Will be much more reliable designs that works everywhere, instead of passive 15% condi damage and 250 ferocity that only works in PvE.

Eh... I don't feel they really go "buff this thing, but because if this, nerf something else to compensate". Unless it'd result in something broken on paper of course. Rather, I feel as if they look at everything, and so it seems like things are falling into place that way.

There's been a lot of complaints about burst with little tells for quite a while (Glint, Shiro). I could see them working on that in a problematic way while also feeling condition builds, completely unrelated, are uneerrepresented or underperforming; and so they'd end up nerfing one thing and buffing another.

@KidRoleplay.3615 said:

@"Thornwolf.9721" said:looks like its getting hard nerfed going off of the balance patch.

Yeah. :/

Its laughable honestly, this is one of those patches where you go "See ya next time." So its loosing its cool factor and is becoming a generic thing, which means necro might get something similar to what it was next round of E-specs. Why not just strip us down and make us re-roll lmfao, really pigeon holing people into power herald, or Alacragade.

I'm holding out on it for now. If Call to Anguish still pulses, and Embrace the Darkness puts out a good amount of additional stacks, I might like it. I just feel that the bonus to all stats gave it a bit of build flexibility not present in most everything, then found it to be weird that it was stronger ONLY in non-PvE. Most of the time, things are weaker in that regard.