Suggestion to make Gliders less obsolete

Jora.5471

What I dislike about the Griffon is that they make gliders obsolete and every glider skin purchases a waste of money. You may come in here and tell me all about leyline gliding and updrafts or whatever, but if glider skins are just worth that, then the skins I bought still wouldn't be worth that.

I have a suggestion:

Griffon 4th mastery- When you accelerate with a glider, the glider will fly even faster to a similar griffon normal flying speed. You will also gain the ability to dismount with any mount while in the air.

• This mastery includes the ability to dismount so that PoF only players can benefit from this.
  • Gliders with the 4th mastery will not be able to dive, rise or gain griffon super speed. I am okay with this because it requires being on top of a really tall cliff anyways. A niche purpose can be left to griffon.
  • Every mount can benefit from this, especially the Springer mount. Players with springer mount can jump up really high and then use the glider.
  • I see no reason to be afraid of map-breaking from both the glider and mount. Mounts themselves do a pretty good job at that.

@Irreverent.3594 said:Dismounting in air and gliding are intentionally not possible. Anet said so.

While I agree with them on this on Raptors through Jackals, I do believe you should be able to dismount the Griffon mid-air, and HoT-options aside, it wouldn't let you get anywhere extra.

That said, I don't agree with the OP's proposal to improve Gliders. Their place is reduced a bit, but they do still have their role, in that they can be used in combat and can be used with more stability and control than the Griffon. I have the Griffon fully unlocked at this point and still use the Glider regularly.

I don't think gliders are obsolete since they are still neccessary for some manuvers.You can't dismount in air but you can stop gliding to quickly loose alitude (very helpful in HoT maps and for getting rid of your precious life)You can't use leylines and updrafts with griffon (duh)You can't mount the griffon midairAnd (this might be my personal opinion) the gliders manuverability feels more precise then that of the griffon, it's easier to land on a specific spot with a glider.

@TwilightSoul.9048 said:I don't think gliders are obsolete since they are still neccessary for some manuvers.You can't dismount in air but you can stop gliding to quickly loose alitude (very helpful in HoT maps and for getting rid of your precious life)You can't use leylines and updrafts with griffon (duh)You can't mount the griffon midairAnd (this might be my personal opinion) the gliders manuverability feels more precise then that of the griffon, it's easier to land on a specific spot with a glider.

You can mount the griffon air with the first mastery for Griffon.

@runeblade.7514 said:What I dislike about the Griffon is that they make gliders obsolete

It so does not! Glinding is much more precise, plus I was able to glide into many gaps in PoF in order to reach a vista or something else (before I discovered there was a Jackal portal leading into) that the Owl Griffon would never have fit in. Also, gliding is the only escape method you can use when in combat, mounts are useless that way.

Therefore, gliding will never become obsolete.

@reapex.8546 said:

@TwilightSoul.9048 said:I don't think gliders are obsolete since they are still neccessary for some manuvers.You can't dismount in air but you can stop gliding to quickly loose alitude (very helpful in HoT maps and for getting rid of your precious life)You can't use leylines and updrafts with griffon (duh)You can't mount the griffon midairAnd (this might be my personal opinion) the gliders manuverability feels more precise then that of the griffon, it's easier to land on a specific spot with a glider.

Only if out of combat.

@reapex.8546 said:

Whoops, didn't know that, haven't checked the masteries yet :D But you still can't get out of a bothersome fight by jumping off a cliff and gracefully gliding away sicne you can only mount when ooc ;)

I don't think the Dragon's Stand meta with a griffon would go particularly well, certainly not the last phase - the amount of faff involved getting around would be tedious. Gliding is rather optimal and necessary there. The griffon would be saying, "Can I haz updraft plx?" (To which the answer is "No, griffon, no you can't". And I love my griffon.)

Gliding isn't obsolete. The way mounts were implemented, including the griffon, makes them extremely bad at maneuvering precisely or in tight spaces. Mounts also have a larger hitbox than the player, and most importantly, mounts can't be used in combat.

Whenever I get launched a million feet up in the air by something, off a cliff by something, or need to land on a platform that's not much bigger than I am, you bet I'm using that glider.

Plus, the combo escape is too good to pass up. jump off something and glide away until out of combat range, the airmount the griffon FROM the glider, flap and tada, you've made a seamless trainsition from air escape to griffon shenanigans. This alone keeps me from having to stand around twiddling my thumbs every time I kill a harpy on a ledge somewhere.

Same here. Gliding has many benefits over the griffon. It's not the griffon that makes gliding obsolete. It's people choosing the griffon over gliding, for whatever reasons, that make gliding obsolete, but only for them personally, not in general. I still glide frequently, because it's an instant thing and I don't have to select it before I can use it. It's an easy escape when you end up in combat while you don't want to. If I see I can glide somewhere, I choose to glide instead of selecting my griffon. I love the griffon, especially the races (got gold on all of them by now), but in no way does it devalue my glider skins or gliding in general. Considering the responses above, I'd say it's a personal perspective and far from fact.

@Irreverent.3594 said:Dismounting in air and gliding are intentionally not possible. Anet said so.

They are intentionally not possible because of map breaking. Griffon and springer does a better job than a springer + glider or a glider + griffon.

@Castitalus.6359 said:Gliding isn't obsolete, but it's now niche. There's a good chance the updraft/ley line masteries won't be seen in future content and the gliders use is reduced to what many in this thread have pointed out. In combat escape and precision landing. Quite niche if you ask me.

All mastries are varying degrees of niche by design.

They wouldn't be if Anet adopted a linear expansion scheme or added "completionist" content in further expansions. You can't add a bunch of updrafts and mushrooms in maps beyond HoT because Anet allows people to own PoF and future expansions without owning HoT. This is also why there is no content in PoF that requires gliding.

Except guilds. They're weird with guilds. They added a hall but you can't fully use it without HoT. They haven't added any expansion guild missions at all (Or any guild missions for four years now unless you count the "do some stuff you would do anyway in PvP areas" ones.> @sorudo.9054 said:

they could also just remove the griffon or seriously limit the distance the griffon can glide.

Or, you know, maybe let the thing that takes 250 gold and actual effort be more useful for its intended purpose than the thing you get for stumbling in to a jungle and waving a sword at whatever walks by.

@Castitalus.6359 said:Gliding isn't obsolete, but it's now niche. There's a good chance the updraft/ley line masteries won't be seen in future content and the gliders use is reduced to what many in this thread have pointed out. In combat escape and precision landing. Quite niche if you ask me.

Those reason aren't enough for me to justify the amount of money I spent on gliders. In combat escape is limited to cliffs, and precision landing is useful only to jumping puzzle. It is as niche as you say.

Will counter with another idea, never allow Griffon to use ley-lines and updrafts and layer these into the new maps over time. Griffon still be superior to other mounts as all-terrain mount, but gliding still has distinct advantages in other ways. Personally air=glider and mounts = land, but they didn't go that way and a lot of people have now worked for and like their griffon.

@TheGrimm.5624 said:Will counter with another idea, never allow Griffon to use ley-lines and updrafts and layer these into the new maps over time. Griffon still be superior to other mounts as all-terrain mount, but gliding still has distinct advantages in other ways. Personally air=glider and mounts = land, but they didn't go that way and a lot of people have now worked for and like their griffon.

I didn't buy glider skins just to be able to look cool while only usable during updrafts and leyline.

@runeblade.7514 said:

Those reason aren't enough for me to justify the amount of money I spent on gliders. In combat escape is limited to cliffs, and precision landing is useful only to jumping puzzle. It is as niche as you say.

Maybe now you've learned your lesson about rewarding arenanet for putting rewards in the gem store in stead of in the game. All the ones you can earn without arenanet pocketing ten more bucks from someone are also backpacks.

Remember this lesson when they start selling mount skins.

Archived