Upcoming Balance Notes

15678911>

Comments

• mtnjkbm.7452mtnjkbm.7452 Member ✭✭
    edited July 16, 2019

• Mini Crinny.6190Mini Crinny.6190 Member ✭✭✭

@Tuna Bandit.3786 said:
    Dear Anet...
    The Balance changes just went live and I am playing WvW.
    Thank you SO much for making my Reaper completely useless!!

What the ... were you thinking? Even within a group I have no survivability anymore. NONE WHATSOEVER.

I invested heavely in this particular toon to be a WvW character and you just simply screwed me over.

Thank you SO much!

NOT

change to scourge

• Documental.5946Documental.5946 Member ✭✭
    edited August 5, 2019

for/10char

edited July 16, 2019

@Blood Red Arachnid.2493 said:

@alain.1659 said:
    What is frustrating is that no dev answers or explains the mentality behind this patch. No one bothers to reply. Zero communication, zero player-dev interaction. They just wait for it to be forgotten and move on.

They haven't stated it directly, but there's been a general theme with all of these changes: make core compete with elite specs. They've done this by really nerfing some of the elite specs. I guess they couldn't figure out a way to make core specs competitive without doing this. Problem is, some of these professions were being carried by their elites:

Mesmer: Hit the worst. Core mesmer lacks any real "mover" skills and instead plays like a weird thief with no burst. To deal with this, PVP mirage had all of its good trais gutted, and now chronomancer lost really basic functionality to make up for the fact that it was the only spec with good abilities.
    Engineer: Hit the second worst. Core engineer can't do jack on its own, and now Holosmith and Scrapper are severely hampered to stay on level with core Engi. Core engi not buffed to compensate.
    Revenant: They gave core rev a new button to press, but Condi Renegade was vastly overperforming with it's 35k DPS, so they neutered condi renegades strongest skill to put the playstyle on par with everything else.
    Necromancer: This one is just sad because they really botched the "buffs" that this class got. But, Reaper was just a better version of core necromancer, so they cut its shroud time in half and keep hitting all of its shroud skills.

Etc. and so on. Overall I can understand what Anet is trying to do with this patch, but they're not doing it well.

seems true... core thief for example is meta while all elite builds lack in mobility or power because of current or already implemented balance patches.

• Swagg.9236Swagg.9236 Member ✭✭✭✭

The trap re-work for Thief would be a lot more interesting if one of the options was just a raw damage hazard instead of damage+CC (like everything else in this game) with a 30s+ cooldown. If one of them (Pitfall perhaps) were a low-CD, high-damage, 180-radius AoE, it would still be a field hazard, allowing for a lot more area control and burst options in PvP while also being a possible option in PvE.

edited July 17, 2019

dear anet:

this is the last time i write about thief and its new skills (focus on the portal here).

i tried the portal in wvw and its totally OP.
    first, the enemy cant see it.
    second, the cooldown is less then the life of the portal, meaning i can spam portal infinitely.

i can totally abuse the portal combined with shadow refuge (15 sec stealth) and never get caught using it in the enemys garry or tower. if i get spotted, i just run out of the tower, and port back in when my cooldown of the portal is gone. just to repeat the process ;)
    it is totally broken! and i really hope you dont take this bug as reason to further nerf other skills of thief in the future! (because there will be people who will scream "thief is broken" just because of this one OP skill.... yes i am that scared because of things you did with swipe)

• Drake.1840Drake.1840 Member ✭✭

I think dialogue would be good idea for Arena Net. They rightly can say they have one of the best MMO's out there, but answering basic questions, or accepting some polite criticism would normally be considered important.

• Nimon.7840Nimon.7840 Member ✭✭✭✭

@mtnjkbm.7452 said:
    dear anet:

this is the last time i write about thief and its new skills (focus on the portal here).

second, the cooldown is less then the life of the portal, meaning i can spam portal infinitely.

i can totally abuse the portal combined with shadow refuge (15 sec stealth) and never get caught using it in the enemys garry or tower. if i get spotted, i just run out of the tower, and port back in when my cooldown of the portal is gone. just to repeat the process ;)
    it is totally broken! and i really hope you dont take this bug as reason to further nerf other skills of thief in the future! (because there will be people who will scream "thief is broken" just because of this one OP skill.... yes i am that scared because of things you did with swipe)

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/82226/rending-shade-goes-off-whether-or-not-it-is-traited#latest

• Dawdler.8521Dawdler.8521 Member ✭✭✭✭

@mtnjkbm.7452 said:

To be totally fair, thats not so much of a OP boon when you cant be spotted regardless because there's no one to reveal you anymore anyways.

• Nerfing elites is good and necessary. The absurd power creep introduced with the 23/6/2015 patch has hurt the gameplay a lot. It desperately needs to be addressed.

The only thing that's off is the timeline. Changes happen too slowly. Some builds continue to dominate while others are dramatically reduced in power. That though is a staffing problem and not a balancing issue.

• ParadoX.3124ParadoX.3124 Member ✭✭

@Elmo Benchwarmer.3025 said:
    Nerfing elites is good and necessary. The absurd power creep introduced with the 23/6/2015 patch has hurt the gameplay a lot. It desperately needs to be addressed.

The only thing that's off is the timeline. Changes happen too slowly. Some builds continue to dominate while others are dramatically reduced in power. That though is a staffing problem and not a balancing issue.

Exactly.

I'm fine with nerfing Scrappers and Holo if every other classes gets a hard nerf as well.

We'll just reroll to the last classes that are still untouched of buffed..

• @Mini Crinny.6190 said:

change to scourge

I thought about it and under other circumstances, that would be a very good suggestion... but I play Reaper without any form of AoE due to me physically not able to drop those quick enough.
    All Scourge Builds I investigated rely heavely on that, which is an absolute No Go for me.

I need a Build/Class with survivability that completely ignores dropping anything since my mouse is locked down for movement by a toggle to prevent me having to push and hold any buttons with my right hand. I am physically unable to do that without pain. (to clarify: the Holding down part is the problem)
    My left hand isn't in a too good shape either, that's why I cannot use WASD for movement and press skills on top of that.
    I use W and S to move back-forth with mouse movement to steer. Often it is easier for me to just turn around than to walk backwards.
    As I said... mouse is locked down and therefor unavailable for dropping any form of AoE.

Due to my disabilities, I relied on Death Shroud to survive and escape. But now...

Here is a funny thing: Yesterday I was attacked by a group, I immediatly went into DS to try to survive the attack since a group of allies was heading my way... they got them... I came out of DS... I was... INSTA DEAD!! NOT EVEN KITTEN DOWN!! DEAD!!

Fully, FULLY destroyed. Thank you SO MUCH Anet... Hope you are enjoying the fact you destroyed my game and rendered my investment in this character complete and utterly useless.

This is how WvW roaming is now... you run around, finding things to do...
    Out of nowhere 5 oponents and you're dead... defenseless against that... as a Solo Reaper, you have no... NO answer to that stinking portal.

Which sadistic idiot thought that was a good idea??

• lisica.6583lisica.6583 Member ✭✭

I prefer chrono better then mirage, but now I don't feel like playing with it any more because of losing illusionary persona. Mesmer is my main, I suppose not any more... Honestly, I don't like mirage and chromo is rip now, so... back to vanilla?

• I was caught off guard when I logged on and my toolkit spells were suddenly unusable post overheat. Immediately hopped online to see if it was a bug.

Speaking purely from a design standpoint, this change will take some getting used to, but I believe that it is a positive change overall. I'm all for making classes more punishing towards careless play. In PvP this helps to balance out holosmith in that, yes they are a class with many outs, and yes they are incredibly adept at controlling the flow of a fight, but should you manage to force them into an overheat, they will be even more vulnerable than before. I don't mind this change at all. This gives me another means to get the leg up on lesser holosmiths in the ditto.

If i were to give one bit of critisism, I would remove this penalty when taking Photonic Blasing Module. Not only do you want to overheat when taking this trait, but you are forced into overheating. This fact alone makes gives this traitline risky because you are constantly inflicting burn damage to yourself on an already squishy build.

• SlimChance.6593SlimChance.6593 Member ✭✭✭

posted this in the Mesmer section... maybe the dev's might see it here...

some ideas on how to improve the new Chrono gameplay:

-Make "Time Catches Up" baseline... create new major adept trait in it place . for example.. bring back "Harmonious Mantras" to Chrono, since Continuum Split doesn't work on mantras skills.
    -revert nerf's to "Illusionary Revision", so only 2 clone shatters will generate a clone
    -On Shield.. generate phantasm at 1/2 or 3/4 seconds into the "Echo of Memory" channel.. instead of a full 1-1/2 second channel for a "so so" phantasm.(or give the phantasm some punch)
    -lower/remove the reduced duration requirement of "Improved Alacrity"
    -review some of the nerfs to base Mesmer skills/traits caused by Chrono... (like having quickness no longer affect resurrect/finish speed... give us back our 180 second ELITE>Time Warp ) which was a knee jerk reaction to the famous season 1 Chronobunker..

@Psycoprophet.8107 said:

@Richard Marcinko.5132 said:
    It's been said elsewhere but it needs to be said again, the only explanation that makes any sense at all is they wanted to kill off all of the HOT specs so people would be forced to buy POF. The more I read about the patch the more it seems like this is the case. I can't bring myself to even open the game anymore for daily's. They killed both my Reaper and my Chrono.

Not soo much their killing off hot specs their actually killing off the game.

If they would only focus more on pvp and wvw content instead of pushing pve so much....

Guild Wars 2 is still THE best mmoprg out there, so i hope they consider focusing more on said game content.

• Psycoprophet.8107Psycoprophet.8107 Member ✭✭✭✭

@mtnjkbm.7452 said:

@Psycoprophet.8107 said:

@Richard Marcinko.5132 said:
    It's been said elsewhere but it needs to be said again, the only explanation that makes any sense at all is they wanted to kill off all of the HOT specs so people would be forced to buy POF. The more I read about the patch the more it seems like this is the case. I can't bring myself to even open the game anymore for daily's. They killed both my Reaper and my Chrono.

Not soo much their killing off hot specs their actually killing off the game.

If they would only focus more on pvp and wvw content instead of pushing pve so much....

Guild Wars 2 is still THE best mmoprg out there, so i hope they consider focusing more on said game content.

Definitely one of them. I'd give eso the nod over gw2 in quest/exploration but due to gw2 combat mechanics it has far more pvp potential than any other mmorpg but given anets decisions of late I'm not surprised they dont see that and do somthing about it lol

• Virdo.1540Virdo.1540 Member ✭✭

How about actually buffing the Revenant a bit? And i meant everything about Revenant. At least in PvP... its getting ridicoulous. Havent seen a patch with something else than a nerf.

Esp the Impossible odds. Now... ITS kitten WITH EXTREME HIGH ENERGY COST

• Mini Crinny.6190Mini Crinny.6190 Member ✭✭✭

@Virdo.1540 said:
    How about actually buffing the Revenant a bit? And i meant everything about Revenant. At least in PvP... its getting ridicoulous. Havent seen a patch with something else than a nerf.

can we buff Hammer #2 and #3 in all game modes too? they hit to low :(

• Drake.1840Drake.1840 Member ✭✭

Arena Net, please look at the above comments and respond. I implore you! People are logging out for a final time. I don't want my favourite game to start the slow slide to failing. Yes, of course, all things come to an end but this seems a most unusual and unnatural way to accelerate towards that result. Here is a summary of what the community is saying, (1) this balance patch was bad (emotive word, yes, but no other way to say it accurately), and (2) have the courage to reverse it before it's to late. This can be framed as you 'actually do listen' to your community, and you are 'secure enough' within yourself enough to admit a mistake.

• Guildwars.4893Guildwars.4893 Member ✭✭
    edited July 22, 2019

So upcoming balance notes.
    To start being a raid player PVE let's me introduce my opinion :

Chrono : You must change F1 & F4 like before because it's really not pratical in raid. Excepted this i can accepted my F4 fusion with F5.

Weaver : interesting rework who allow to have the same dps than dd ty for this but the condi is maybe a little strong. If you correct this becarefull to keep this dps with zerk.

Tempest : not enough to be attractive again :) (rotation SC was good but not possible in raid so try again^^)

DH : Good nothing to said it's correct.

Firebrand : He needed that to come back so ty for this.

Thief in general : Nothing to said not a important modification.

Holo : You have just destroyed this class in PVE complety usuless now so correct this and upgrade its damage in pve. Just you must separate your McM/Pvp with PVE to achieve this, because same before Holo hadn't enough domage compare to others classes (in PVE).

Druid / SB : Nothing to said

Renegade : it scared me a little but nothing to said it's correct again just don't try to nerf this class or he will become usuless (Excepted support with firebrand good association) . Maybe rework the herald power ? because actually it's usuless ^^.

War : It's ok for me nothing to said.

Scourge/ Reaper : He needs a little rework because actually he is correct just to heal excepted this : Condi do not have enough damage and dps same (it's hard for you because reaper and scourge are stronger in PVP/MCM but actually usuless in PVE so maybe he needs a big rework).

It's all for me tell me what you think of that i'm so curious. I just talked about raid & PVE generally.

• I like what they are doing and I hope they keep it up.

• Marxx.5021Marxx.5021 Member ✭✭✭

Mirage is so incredible bad balanced in PvP. If you guys don't want that game mode shut it down.

• Virdo.1540Virdo.1540 Member ✭✭
    edited July 22, 2019

@Mini Crinny.6190 said:

@Virdo.1540 said:

can we buff Hammer #2 and #3 in all game modes too? they hit to low :(

Yes please.... its really crappy and soooo incredibly slow with the cast time etc compared to the damage of every other weapon
    (not to mention all the bugs)

• darwinslittlehelper.7182darwinslittlehelper.7182 Member ✭✭
    edited July 23, 2019

Ever since the addition of additional specs to the professions, we have needed to rein in the powercreep. Most specs, HoT and PoF alike, are more powerful, with more options than core classes. In only a few cases were any kind of tradeoffs implemented. There seems to have been a schism at ArenaNet over how to handle this problem, and the game has received a number of changes in a somewhat disjointed way.
    Now, after all this time, tradeoffs. Restrictions. Actual changes to professions mechanics and play between specs. This is required to fix the issues of the professions.
    Is this late? oh yes. Finished? Nope. Perfect? Nope. But finally the thinking has rolled around to that direction. I for one want it to have ArenaNet just pile the changes on. Define themes, modify as required, without mercy or coddling. All professions, all specs treated the same way. Members of the balance/professions teams augmented with additional resources. Same rules for competitive modes.
    Will this be uncomfortable, force people to change playstyles, to learn their professions better, make meaningful choices? You bet.
    There is a lot of complaining in this thread, about how ArenaNet has "destroyed" a spec/playstyle/etc. This happens literally EVERY balance patch, big or small. Let's face the facts people- this patch reduced powercreep. Specs got weaker. Some broken interactions were finally nerfed. A number still remain. Some specs still have poorly realized themes. Some specs are too weak or too strong in some roles, crowding out others. The patch feels like part one of a bigger job.
    To many in these forums I say: the hysterics, threats and chest beating accomplish absolutely nothing. Balance and profession design have been all over the map in Guild Wars 2, and I am sure no one knows that better than the people at ArenaNet. I hope they have finally solved the issue of clearly very different ideas competing in the work force.
    While not everything here is perfect in my opinion, and as stated, feels like part one only, I believe this is a good direction to take. Finally :)

• Reigning in power creep is a decent theory. However, there is one big problem with that: Anet buffed several of the top DPS classes, or left them alone. Chronomancers still do 37k, the new condi renegade (while being terrible for general use) have a specific rotation that hits for 36k, Elementalists now have condi builds that hit for 38k, and the Deadeye's 37k benchmark hasn't been touched. The top 4 damage dealing professions are still the top 4 damage dealing professions.

Which makes me wonder why it is Anet sought to cut away the damage of holosmith. My best guess is that Anet balances for narrative reasons.

"Self awareness is knowing when you're sitting at the throne of ignorance." --Leo G.

• @Jaruselka.5943 said:

@Elmo Benchwarmer.3025 said:
    I like what they are doing and I hope they keep it up.

Sincerely,

WoW Dev.

Considering that the gameplay was far more enjoyable back when the ex-WoW developers had a word to say, listening to talent might not be a bad idea.

• stone cold.8609stone cold.8609 Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 28, 2019

Would it be possible for ANet to provide more detail as to what their vision is for each profession in each game mode? Many of the changes don't make sense to me from a PvE perspective, but I am not in a position to assess if they are achieving what ANet is intending. I can say that from my perspective, the PvE game isn't any more balanced that it was prior to the patch.

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.