The world is finally safe from the dragons. Three of them are no more, two went back to their slumber, and the sixth has never been heard of. The races of Tyria can finally prosper in peace.
A soothing calm falls upon the world. The calm before the storm.
Living World Season 5: The Calm and the Storm
Episode 1: The Face in the Locket
The Krytan royal locket. An ancient artifact holding the secrets of Kryta's royal bloodline. Kept safe inside the Wizard's Tower, but for how long? A crew of undead pirates, now free from Zhaitan's control, longs for the good old times, and in their folly, they might unleash a crisis in the heart of humanity itself.
- Meet the woman behind the greatest heist of the century: Lady Glaive, an ancient corsair warlord, once risen by Zhaitan long after her demise, now unchained and eager to recover her rightful place.
- Unveil the identity of the Mysterious informant known as E, and discover the fate of the Scepter of Orr, among many other ancient relics, now fallen in the wrongest hands imaginable.
- Explore the new zone of Bay of Merchants, west of Bloodtide Coast. Revisit Claw Island, trade with the elusive tengu, and join the largos on their hunt for an ancient leviathan.
- Enter the Wizard's Tower, the new PvE game mode. Navigate the maze of vaults and libraries, and face an endless stream of random encounters, growing in difficulty with every wave. The longer you survive, the better the rewards. The tower will be supported in the future through updates including new rooms and encounters.
- Witness the fate of the fallen Spirits of the Wild in the Lost Spirits Fractal. Play as one of Jormag's champions, and slaughter the norn who oppose the Spirit of Dragon. Face the Spirit of Owl, and bring forth her demise.
Episode 2: Mother of Thorns
The fires of Maguuma lie still, long after Mordremoth's demise, but the embers of destruction bide their time, hiding among the shadows, yearning to rekindle the fire and engulf the Dream of Dreams. There was one destined for greatness, born to rise and become the Harbinger of Nightmare. And at long last, he has been found.
- The Pale Tree withers, and with it, the future of the sylvari race. Her wounds do not heal, and her spirit falters further with every passing day. The menders are desperate, and light wanes, while shadows bloom. Deep into the jungle, a voice whispers, and wants her sister back.
- The Nightmare Court has returned, led by the new Grand Duchess Chrysanthea. Their dark hunt bodes ill, glooming over sylvari and modrem alike. The servants of Mordremoth wander the jungle, free from the dragon's bidding. They look for a new purpose, yet all they find is hate.
- Journey into the new zone of Magus Falls, east of Tangled Depths, and find the truth behind the origins of the Pale Tree and the sylvari race. Find the one they call Malyck, and face the revelations that will change our judgement over the Elder Dragons, forevermore.
- Delve into the raid of Ley Line Labyrinth, an ancient Rata Novan facility deep underground, where a queen of the chak has taken residence. Accompany Taimi and the New Novus Krewe, and find the key to cleanse the mordrem corruption affecting both Zojja and the Pale Tree.
Episode 3: Dawn of the Golden Sun
The power vacuum left after Joko's downfall continues to wreak havoc across the peoples of the United Kingdom of Elona. The dust long settled, many start to question the actions of the first Commander of the Pact. Was the confrontation against Balthazar necessary? The death of the war god only brought forth further death and destruction. Kralkatorrik was spared, only to be confronted once again shortly thereafter. The actions of the commander only delayed the inevitable, ravaging Elona in the process. Were Joko's accusations right all along?
- Dark forces conspire to throw Elona into disarray, only to seize power thereafter. The spirit of peace and cooperation starts to fade once the crystal dragon is no more, and the shadow of civil war looms on the horizon. The Order of Shadows, brought to the side of light, returns to darkness once more. As the scheming begins anew, the survivors of the true Order of Whispers step into the light, and the endgame of their sister order is finally unveiled.
- Meet the Wailing Crescent, a new organization led by High Priestess Amala. Formed by apostates of the Mordant Cescent, the horrors they committed while under Joko's enslavement have inspired them to look for redemption together. Their strength and leadership would be a very valuable asset for the future of Elona, yet the recklessness of their quest might lead them to their demise far before they can be reasoned with.
- Sail into the Marga Coast, a new zone west of Kourna. Untouched by war, refugees from all over Elona have taken shelter among its golden fields. The branded roam the northern border, but the Wailing Crescent keeps them at bay. Wurmmarshal Osa Ekolo breeds a new generation of junundu wurms to the east, training them to serve in the fields. Kasmeer and Marjory lead the Krytan support operation, distributing supplies among those in need. Return to Sun's Refuge, and join Koss before the final confrontation.
- Learn how to ride one of the mighty Junundu Wurm Mounts from Elona. These half-wurm half-centipede creatures can move safely across quicksand, sulfur, and even water, crawling across the seafloor to hunt their prey.
- Sail through the Crystal Sea Fractal and relieve the fall of the margonites, the foremost servants of Abaddon. Be careful though, for a wise man would beware the danger of secrets kept, last he falls prey to them.
Episode 4: Twilight of the Fallen Gods
The Order of Whispers was founded to defend Elona from Palawa Joko, yet eventually, the order grew and shifted its attention to other bigger threats, far beyond Elona. This distraction proved fatal, for when the lich returned, they were unable to defend their own homeland from his invasion. This critical defeat splintered the order in half, leading to the foundation of the Order of Shadows. Determined to focus on Joko alone, they were quick to bolster their ranks. The truth behind their ascension, however, lied in none other than one of the darkest chapters of the Ossan bloodline.
- Face the reborn Priesthood of Abaddon, the true masters pulling the strings behind the Order of Shadows. Surrounded by Joko and with the Six Gods long gone, many among the Order of Whispers sought salvation through a pact with one of their ancient enemies. The lesser evil did not take long to grow, and soon the Order of Shadows would annihilate the Order of Whispers, beginning their silent rule of terror over Elona.
- Abaddon might be long dead, but some of his demonic servants still survive to this day, hiding among the ancient ruins of the Sulfurous Wastes. Now the barrier between Tyria and the Mists has been weakened by Kralkatorrik's assault, and the margonites grow in power, seeking to reclaim their lost domain. True to their master's teachings, they have manipulated the course of Elonian history since Joko's ascension, and now that's he's gone, loosening their grip isn't part of the plan.
- Unveil the secrets of the Domain of Sahlahja, a new zone south of the Desolation. This ancient Elonian province was lost to the sands of the desert long ago, its ancient kings enslaved under Joko's will. Buried under the sulfur lies the first temple of Abaddon, where Lord Jadoth originally devoted himself to the God of Secrets. Deep inside its halls, far beyond the light of the sun, lies one of the god's most precious artifacts: The original Shadowstone.
- Enter the raid: The Eternal Forge, a forged citadel deep into the Fissure of Woe. Balthazar may be no more, but his loyal followers will not abandon duty. Logan Thackeray and Rytlock Brimstone lead an expedition to the heart of the forge, where they plan to achieve the unimaginable: Reforge Magdaer, the sword of the Sorcerer King himself.
Episode 5: The First Dwarf
Two centuries ago, the dwarven race sacrificed itself to stand between Tyria and the Elder Dragons. Turned to stone by the magic of the Great Dwarf, they waged an endless war against the destroyers. Eventually, their numbers started to dwindle, for even the sturdiest stone could only hold on for so long. The fallen could never be replaced, but maybe, one day, they could be reforged.
- An ancient prophecy foretold the role of the Stonehealer family in the ages to come. On the brink of extinction, their hands would give birth to a new race, and the dwarven spirit would endure once again. Now the last member of their lineage, the one known as Ogden Stonehealer marches north, guarded by the Order of the Crystal Bloom. With him, the broken dwarf named Rhoban, first of many to bathe in dragonflame, and first of many to emerge, reborn, as one of the Barathrum: The crystal dwarves.
- The magics of the forge are known to the forces of evil, who covet its power. Among them one has stepped forward, determined to please her new master. A norn woman, who against all odds, has gained the favor of Jormag himself. As the light evolves, so does the darkness.
- Explore the far reaches of Anvil Rock, a new zone north of Snowden Drifts. Legend says the Great Dwarf himself forged the dwarven race at this ancient site, atop the anvil-shaped mountain. Dredge, centaurs, and icebrood plague the zone, yet none dare approach the mountain. An ancient presence haunts it, waiting for the return of its rightful masters.
- Face the trials inside the Hall of Heroes, the new PvP game mode. Join a team of five, and fight you way to the top. Six levels in total, step forward with every victory, and step backwards with every defeat. Reach the final level, and hold your ground against the incoming teams. The longer you maintain the throne, the better the rewards. Up to thirty-two teams can compete simultaneously.
- Journey into the ancient past, to the City of Hope Fractal, in what is known today as Arah. It was here, ten thousand years ago, where the ancient races of Tyria met together, joining forces to achieve the impossible: Convert Glaust, dragon champion of Kralkatorrik, into their cause.
Episode 6: Bloodstorm
Humans and charr have waged war against each other for centuries, but everything changed with the rising of the Elder Dragons. Former enemies were forced to unite against the larger threat to survive, leading both races to sign the Ebonhawke Treaty, beginning a new era of peace and cooperation. But old hatreds don't die so easily, and with the dragons on withdrawal, the flames of war loom over Ascalon once again.
- Many among the charr never liked the treaty. Among them stands Imperator Bangar Ruinbringer, leader of the Blood Legion, who was coerced into the negotiations by his Ash and Iron allies. The charr were facing multiple conflicts at once, and the other legions demanded a respite. Nowadays, many of those conflicts have been solved, and the war machine of the Blood Legion hungers.
- The last of these conflicts is the never-ending war against the Ascalonian ghosts, an army of human spirits cursed by their own king to roam Iron Legion territory forever. The best necromancers of Tyria have prepared an intricate spell to break the curse and free the spirits, but sinister forces seek to meddle and turn the ritual against the liberators.
- Ride into the Frontland Meadows, a new zone east of the Iron Marches. A natural frontier between Ascalon and the Plains of Golghein, Iron Legion jurisdiction rules the west, while Blood Legion violence rules the east. The ruins of Surmia mark the border between the two charr nations, the ghosts of dead humans keeping both sides at bay.
- Tame one of the mighty Rhinoceros Mounts from the Blood Legion, and charge across the battlefield with your friends by your side. The rhinoceros is the first mount to allow passengers, letting your whole party accompany you into battle.
- Raid into the Tombs of Drascir, and face the ancient ghosts of humanity. It is here, in the first capital of Ascalon, where Sohothin and Magdaer are destined to intertwine, break the curse of the Foefire, and free the spirits of Ascalon forever.
The ghosts of Ascalon remain free from their curse, but their spirits still plague the land. No longer enslaved to the will of their king, they're now free to do as they please. Many cower in horror, unable to cope with their fate. These ones were easily dispatched, and with the curse broken, they would no longer return. The rest, however, remain determined to take revenge on the charr. No longer a mindless army, they turned the war upside down, driving the Iron Legion to its limit.
Further east, the armies of the Blood Legion march to war. While the Iron Legion lies in shambles, their gaze has turned south, to the lands of the Ash Legion. Imperator Bangar Ruinbringer has claimed the title of Khan-Ur, and plans to subdue all legions under a single banner once again. Multiple warbands have switched sides during the crisis, and tensions are at an all-time high. Lord Jadoth, First Follower of Abaddon, continues his quest to shatter the bloodstones. His current whereabouts are unknown, but suspected to intertwine with the fate of the charr.
Both Rytlock Brimstone and Logan Thackeray were last seen fleeing from the site of the ritual. Rytlock is now considered a fugitive, blamed for the disaster by the Iron Legion, and accused of defection and sorcery by the Blood Legion. Logan's disappearance has left the Pact headless in the middle of the charr crisis, right when the neutral stance of the organization is being questioned. The first Commander of the Pact has relinquished the title, and is rumored to be rallying volunteers in support of the Ash Legion, mustering an army near the mountains of Dzalana, north of Elona.
Further west, many voices question the decision of the Pale Tree to reintegrate members of the Mordrem Guard into sylvari society, the wounds of the Pact campaign against Mordremoth still far from healed. Right next door, the Arcane Council has approved mass-production of war supplies for the warring charr factions, their greed overcoming the most basic of common senses. North, the norn frown upon the return of the dwarves, now reeking of dragon magic.
Years of peace and cooperation among the races of Tyria have been laid to waste, and the High Legions themselves teeter on the brink of destruction.
If Ruinbringer is not stopped soon, the flames of war will spread and engulf the world.
The story continues in the third expansion of the game: Guild Wars 2: Brothers in Blood. Journey into the Plains of Golghein, and repel the Blood Legion invasion into Ash Legion territory. Explore the ancient ruins of forgotten and jotun civilizations, find the truth behind the bloodstones, and stem the tide before the magics of the world spiral out of control.
The final confrontation awaits.
That's all of it, thanks for reading!