“Not like WoW”? False, this game is competing with WoW

I can’t believe people still say this game is not like WoW. That it caters to a different audience. That may have been true at one point, but everything since HoT has been to make this game more like WoW. They catered to hardcore players, added raids, added mounts, added grind for legendary gears, added the Skyscale grind.... No one even talks about the Manifesto anymore. So yes, this game is like WoW. Yes, they are competing.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tbf mounts like in gw2 are pretty unique in the mmo genre. The raids also function fundamentally differently then most raids in other mmo's and grind for specific things has always been a thing in gw2 on top of adding lots of things to diminish the grind (dragonbash for example)

Who actually gives a rats nasal hair, what possible difference does it make to anyone playing and enjoying the game. It is a simple choice either you like GW2 or you don't and if you don't your free to go play WoW or whatever other title takes your fancy.These kind of posts are a dime a dozen on any gaming forum across the entire interweebs, surely those posting them will get bored of the same old worn out rhetoric eventually.. one can hope at least.Additionally, the OP was, only days ago, trying to persuade us all that GW2 isn't a real game.. so if it is not real why are you so concerned about it being just another WoW.. make your mind up time!

The reasons gw2 is different then Warcraft have been stated so many times over the years. I’ll humour you with a few differences that pop into mind.

Gw2 doesn’t lock you out of your characters if you don’t pay your sub or gold equivalent. Wow does.

Gw2 has never increased the level cap. Wow does every expansion and now they even need to squish levels due to issues.

As a player of gw2 since beta leveling is trivial. I make a new alt, click some tomes and bang I’m max level. Open a few stored boxes and I’m max geared. Warcraft the leveling experience is a feature of their content but everyone’s goal is to rush through it quickly because let’s face it, leveling sucks.

Game play style. Gw2 people play as they want. I’ve been in guilds that focus on wvw, or spvp, or world boss trains, social guilds, musical guilds focusing on the instrument toys, casual PvX guilds, exploration guilds, raiding guilds, for profit guilds that people pay in game currency to get a carry, etc, etc. Warcraft you level then you raid. Or you don’t progress your character.

I could go on but hopefully you get the point.

@Bloodstealer.5978 said:Who actually gives a rats nasal hair, what possible difference does it make to anyone playing and enjoying the game. It is a simple choice either you like GW2 or you don't and if you don't your free to go play WoW or whatever other title takes your fancy.These kind of posts are a dime a dozen on any gaming forum across the entire interweebs, surely those posting them will get bored of the same old worn out rhetoric eventually.. one can hope at least.Additionally, the OP was, only days ago, trying to persuade us all that GW2 isn't a real game.. so if it is not real why are you so concerned about it being just another WoW.. make your mind up time!

It is relevant of course. If no one played/enjoys the game or next to none or less and less it affects the roadmap of the game. Check the story of the glorious game called 'Anthem'. They ditched the whole roadmap after this sorry excuse of a game.

@Mortifera.6138 said:I can’t believe people still say this game is not like WoW. That it caters to a different audience. That may have been true at one point, but everything since HoT has been to make this game more like WoW. They catered to hardcore players, added raids, added mounts, added grind for legendary gears, added the Skyscale grind.... No one even talks about the Manifesto anymore. So yes, this game is like WoW. Yes, they are competing.

Not even close. You should give WoW a try for a week or two to see the differences.

Honestly ANY activity that can be done in your spare time is, technically, competition. GW2 is a leisure activity. To compress it further, both WoW and GW2 are video games, MMO's, mostly medieval-class-based, with a fair amount of similarity. Of course they are competing.

But much like in September, when football and baseball compete, there are differences, and those who like one will play/watch that, and those who like the other will play/watch that. Just because two activities compete does not mean they are the same, or that one is inherently better than the other.

I mean, good grief, if this game depended on people only ever for always playing THIS GAME, it would be in trouble. But it doesn't. In fact, this game is much easier to return to after taking a break, so I'd say it has a lot of positives on its side. Plus, without any competition, there would be little incentive to improve or offer additional cool things.

@ProtoGunner.4953 said:

@Bloodstealer.5978 said:Who actually gives a rats nasal hair, what possible difference does it make to anyone playing and enjoying the game. It is a simple choice either you like GW2 or you don't and if you don't your free to go play WoW or whatever other title takes your fancy.These kind of posts are a dime a dozen on any gaming forum across the entire interweebs, surely those posting them will get bored of the same old worn out rhetoric eventually.. one can hope at least.Additionally, the OP was, only days ago, trying to persuade us all that GW2 isn't a real game.. so if it is not real why are you so concerned about it being just another WoW.. make your mind up time!

It is relevant of course. If no one played/enjoys the game or next to none or less and less it affects the roadmap of the game. Check the story of the glorious game called 'Anthem'. They ditched the whole roadmap after this sorry excuse of a game.

No its not relevant.. there are plenty of players still here happily playing the game no matter how many doomsayers decide to push out the same tired narrative that the game is dead.If the quarterlies are anything to go by GW2 is still holding up well within a jam packed marketplace even without an expansion cycle this time round.As for a roadmap.. well ANET haven't ditched anything, they just haven't told us anything.. which I agree is a little concerning to me long term but that is another story. As for Anthem, there were many issues with that game before it even got a head of steam up.. but that's the thing, all these new titles are hyped to be the next wow killer and very few get past their first 6 months without hitting huge pot holes in their forecasts and returns... but GW2 has been going pretty well for 7yrs now no matter how many doom and gloom sky is falling threads are posted.Like I said if you or anyone else feels GW2 isn't up to your expectations or if feel the WoWCraptastic reboot is the future then, well...The door is this way ~~~~>

@Bloodstealer.5978 said:

No its not relevant.. there are plenty of players still here happily playing the game no matter how many doomsayers decide to push out the same tired narrative that the game is dead.If the quarterlies are anything to go by GW2 is still holding up well within a jam packed marketplace even without an expansion cycle this time round.As for a roadmap.. well ANET haven't ditched anything, they just haven't told us anything.. which I agree is a little concerning to me long term but that is another story. As for Anthem, there were many issues with that game before it even got a head of steam up.. but that's the thing, all these new titles are hyped to be the next wow killer and very few get past their first 6 months without hitting huge pot holes in their forecasts and returns... but GW2 has been going pretty well for 7yrs now no matter how many doom and gloom sky is falling threads are posted.Like I said if you or anyone else feels GW2 isn't up to your expectations or if feel the WoWCraptastic reboot is the future then, well...The door is this way ~~~~>

I am pretty sure I won't play wow classic. I would've tried it if there was a subfree way and I won't support the regular wow, since I don't like it anymore. That said, if revenue keeps at the same moderate level, well, go for it. But with no expansion on the horizon it sounds concerning. It surely isn't healthy for keeping a playerbase...

Idk about you, but the only things I had to grind for were things I wanted that were superfluous. Not necessary. So I didn't mind the grind since it was for something I actually wanted, not something required just to play the game like the gear treadmills of other games.Can't formulate a proper rebuttal in one thread, so you make another thread. Nice try.

@ProtoGunner.4953 said:

I am pretty sure I won't play wow classic. I would've tried it if there was a subfree way and I won't support the regular wow, since I don't like it anymore. That said, if revenue keeps at the same moderate level, well, go for it. But with no expansion on the horizon it sounds concerning. It surely isn't healthy for keeping a playerbase...

That's just it.. no one but ANET knows what they have planned for the game.. what we do know is it is business as usual at least up to the conclusion of LS S5 so 12-18 months ahead at least. What else we get in between and what each LS chapter will include .. well we will just have to wait and see and then see what effect it has, but to date no expansion doesn't appear to of had that much of an effect on the quarterlies, but that is of course no excuse for ANET to rest on their laurels of course.So as I said, the whole point surrounding this thread is entirely moot.. WoWClassic is nothing more than a reboot of an old game.. with a sub and the effect it will have will be minimal at best imo, but that's the beauty of GW2, you can come and go as you please without penalty or fear of being left behind should you come back.

@Mortifera.6138 said:I can’t believe people still say this game is not like WoW. That it caters to a different audience. That may have been true at one point, but everything since HoT has been to make this game more like WoW. They catered to hardcore players, added raids, added mounts, added grind for legendary gears, added the Skyscale grind.... No one even talks about the Manifesto anymore. So yes, this game is like WoW. Yes, they are competing.

My knowledge of World of Warcraft is rather limited but I'm gonna make a few questions to see how similar it is to Guild Wars 2.

Does it have dodge now?Can you move while casting all abilities?Does it put an emphasis on active defenses instead of defensive stats to mitigate damage?Did they remove the ability to target allies in order to send them healing/buffs?Did they, finally, remove the global skill cooldown?Is experience and loot shared now among those that hit mobs?Did they remove the gear treadmill from World of Warcraft?

If the answer to all the above isn't a yes then I'm not sure how anyone can say the two games are similar.

Theres are so many diferences between GW 2 and WoW:

• Gearing: you have to gear continuosly in WoW on every patch, in GW 2 you just get until ascended and youre done.
  • Mounts: you have lots of mounts in wow, technycally, all of these mounts are identical, just being diferent in their appareance, in GW 2 you have less mounts but every mount has its own use.
  • Raids: I must say that WoW have a better development of raids than GW 2, in the aspects of mechanics and difficulty, but that is because WoW has been developed raids since the beggining of times. But about fractals in GW 2 and mythic dungeons in wow, i have to say that fractals with their instabilities came first, si it is more like WoW became more like GW 2 and not the opossite.
  • Items, reagents and materials: Every material in GW 2 has its use, by doing insignias, gifts, etc... in WoW materials from past expansions are useless.

Cater to hardcore.

Right. Adding one instance every once in a great while, one that harcore players describe as being easy to complete, while the vast majority of the game's development and content are casual....

Right.

The game was designed and intended to have raids from the beginning. The launch iteration didnt work out so it took them a while to reintroduce the concept for gw2.

Oh, and one thing doesnt have to be like another in order to compete with it.

Are you really arguing that gear grind that has to be done every few years in order to play new content compares with optional, one-time scavenger hunts? Are you really arguing that GW2 raids and its loot compare at all to WoW raids and its loot?

They are both MMOs, so of course they are competing in the same market. Both games will have features in common. That doesn't mean that they are similar in all ways.

@The Greyhawk.9107 said:

@"Kaliwenda.3428" said:So WoW isn't a "real game" then?

Must not be.

Yep.

Gw2 isn’t a real game. (Previous thread by the OP)this game is like WoW. (This thread)Therefore WoW is not a real game.

Now that the OP has declared both WoW and GW2 not to be real games, I await his next “understanding” of video games.

@Just a flesh wound.3589 said:

@"Kaliwenda.3428" said:So WoW isn't a "real game" then?

Must not be.

Yep.

Gw2 isn’t a real game. (Previous thread by the OP)this game is like WoW. (This thread)Therefore WoW is not a real game.

Now that the OP has declared both WoW and GW2 not to be real games, I await his next “understanding” of video games.

Yeah, I'd caught that "not a real game" gem earlier, lead me to this.