Impact Savant - missed opportunity?

Fade.5904

A percentage of the strike damage you deal is converted into Barrier. Your Vitality is reduced - Conversion Percent: 15% Vitality -300

If this were insteadA percentage of the strike damage you RECEIVE is converted into Barrier. Your Vitality is reduced - Conversion Percent: 15% Vitality -300Then it would have been a much better idea i personally think. It would have been beneficial to not only damage dealing builds but condi, support and tank.Yes it looks a lot like the old trait 'Adaptive Armor' but you could still keep the -300 vitality on it and even add a 2 second cooldown (also this is a flat 15% not a barrier based on your healing power)

Aside from the benefits of opening more builds/play styles and actually being more in keeping with the role/idea of scrapper being a tank, it would have some great synergy with other new traits like Damage Dampener.

Right now you have to deal approx 20,000 damage to get enough barrier to make up for the loss of 3000 hit points, changing it to damage received you would need to 'tank' 20,000 damage (as opposed to deal 20,000) before you really get any benefits but after 20,000 damage you're out of that tunnel and into positive numbers.It would give less benefit in short fights because your loosing 3000 hit points but in longer fights it would offer greater sustain than having an extra 3000 hit points.I feel this would be more in keeping with Scrapper being 'tanky' and would create a whole new tanking mechanic for GW2 when paired with Damage Dampeners.

It would work like this: (figures are rounded up but you get the idea)Lets say for example you receive a 10,000 damage hitBecause of Damage Dampener you only take 6,600 damage initially (-33%)you receive a barrier after the hit for 1500You then (after 2 secs) receive the rest of the 10,000 hit - 3300, which is reduced to 1800 because your barrier absorbed 1500 of the hitWith a 2 second CD on Damage Received this would pair up with Damage Dampeners allowing a portion of this traits functionality to be absorbed but you wouldn't always be absorbing big 10k hits but more often smaller hits so the 2s CD would keep this in line and not make it too OP.

For me the most fun part of GW2 is build diversity and the options to play how you want to play. I feel in its current iteration Impact Savant severely limits this choice which is never a good thing.Thanks for reading.

@Fade.5904 said:A percentage of the strike damage you deal is converted into Barrier. Your Vitality is reduced - Conversion Percent: 15% Vitality -300

If this were insteadA percentage of the strike damage you RECEIVE is converted into Barrier. Your Vitality is reduced - Conversion Percent: 15% Vitality -300Then it would have been a much better idea i personally think. It would have been beneficial to not only damage dealing builds but condi, support and tank.Yes it looks a lot like the old trait 'Adaptive Armor' but you could still keep the -300 vitality on it and even add a 2 second cooldown (also this is a flat 15% not a barrier based on your healing power)

Aside from the benefits of opening more builds/play styles and actually being more in keeping with the role/idea of scrapper being a tank, it would have some great synergy with other new traits like Damage Dampener.

Right now you have to deal approx 20,000 damage to get enough barrier to make up for the loss of 3000 hit points, changing it to damage received you would need to 'tank' 20,000 damage (as opposed to deal 20,000) before you really get any benefits but after 20,000 damage you're out of that tunnel and into positive numbers.It would give less benefit in short fights because your loosing 3000 hit points but in longer fights it would offer greater sustain than having an extra 3000 hit points.I feel this would be more in keeping with Scrapper being 'tanky' and would create a whole new tanking mechanic for GW2 when paired with Damage Dampeners.

It would work like this: (figures are rounded up but you get the idea)Lets say for example you receive a 10,000 damage hitBecause of Damage Dampener you only take 6,600 damage initially (-33%)you receive a barrier after the hit for 1500You then (after 2 secs) receive the rest of the 10,000 hit - 3300, which is reduced to 1800 because your barrier absorbed 1500 of the hitWith a 2 second CD on Damage Received this would pair up with Damage Dampeners allowing a portion of this traits functionality to be absorbed but you wouldn't always be absorbing big 10k hits but more often smaller hits so the 2s CD would keep this in line and not make it too OP.

For me the most fun part of GW2 is build diversity and the options to play how you want to play. I feel in its current iteration Impact Savant severely limits this choice which is never a good thing.Thanks for reading.

Yeah, having 800 barrier every 3 seconds upon hit would have been a nice change. it would be around 300-400 less barrier that you would passively gain from old adaptive armor, still being manageable and not too strong that you miss opportunities to do damage. Or what they could do, is increase the % of strike damage dealt from 15% to 20%. Because lets say you want to go full tank, willing to sacrifice damage for it, so you run something like, oh lets say knight's amulet. 1900 power, 3200 defense, and around 45% crit chance from the 900 power/precision, and the 1200 toughness. you hit significantly lower, but you still gain decent barrier from direct damage attacks that you put onto your opponents while in combat. This would help make the Scrapper tankier as well. As it stands now, you HAVE to run demolisher's amulet to be able to put out a good amount of damage to gain that decent barrier. It's a bit counterintuitive. Yeah, either allow impact savant to gain you around 600-800 barrier when you're struck with a 3s cooldown (a nerfed adaptive armor, but a healthy nerf), or increase the damage dealt to barrier conversion to 20%.