Profession for roaming

LordSlain.5874

I'm looking for a SOLO roamer, which is easy to learn to play, I've been thinking about SB or Holo, some people say that Holo is easy, others say it's difficult.

I think Holo's gameplay is fun and interactive, but I do not know if it's strong after the last patch.

I know SB is easy, but I'm not doing very well in 1v1, some professions give me oneshot even with set marauder + durability rune. I have better results on small scale.

Best profession for solo roaming is a player who understands that dying isn't a big deal. If you're dying ALL the time that's something different, but your expectations of what qualifies as success is probably going to define your play experience more than anything else. This is even more true now than it was in the past when you had more solo roamers around to play with. Nowadays you're mostly going to be encountering outnumbered fights so you have to adjust your expectations accordingly . . .

@spectrito.8513 said:You'll have a hard time trying to solo roam now, specially as a melee, but If you really want to go solo, pick anything with good burst and good mobility/stealth, otherwise you will die over and over to 5+ players on a mount, also dont try necro.

But reaper uses AXE, it's very easy to dismount. I know, reaper dont have escape. But I want to know, it's viable? He has a good sustain, cc and dps.

@LordSlain.5874 said:

@spectrito.8513 said:You'll have a hard time trying to solo roam now, specially as a melee, but If you really want to go solo, pick anything with good burst and good mobility/stealth, otherwise you will die over and over to 5+ players on a mount, also dont try necro.

But reaper uses AXE, it's very easy to dismount. I know, reaper dont have escape. But I want to know, it's viable? He has a good sustain, cc and dps.

Not for roaming, you will lose most of the fights against other roaming builds since they can easily kite you, im not saying you cant be successful with necro, but it will be a lot harder than a soulbeast for example

My personal opinion, in terms of easy-ness to difficulty:

1. Longbow power ranger - just need to learn to use Stealth Shot at the right time and re-position yourself. Otherwise, unless a different long-ranged build can hit you harder and faster or you face someone who can track you really well, you'll win most of the time.
  2. Stealth builds - this goes for permastealthing thieves, dodgy+stealth mesmers, longbow/staff druids. You can escape most encounters that you will not win and re-position yourself for ones you can. Once you've practiced the timing, it's almost unfair to fight against.
  3. Condition-heavy builds - Sometimes you need to kite, and condi builds allow you to do DoT whilst kiting. Win-win in that you are killing while surviving.
  4. High-mobility builds - warrior and thieves excel at this, but others are possible. If you can move towards/away from your opponents when you want to, you will either kill or not die.
  5. Crowd Control heavy builds - Rampage warrior, holosmith, shatter Mesmer, hi-immobilizing builds - If they cannot use skills, they cannot hurt you. Also, immobilizing prevents dodging.
  6. Dodge/Invulnerable/Stun break/Long Stability builds - those that excel are the sword weaver, mirage, and Firebrand. These are especially good at 1vX fighting, as you can get your skills off when necessary, but you need to know your build well and their timing so you don't have long cooldowns.

If you can combo any of the above, you'll be pretty good to go!

@"LordSlain.5874" said:

I'm looking for a SOLO roamer, which is easy to learn to play, I've been thinking about SB or Holo, some people say that Holo is easy, others say it's difficult.

I think Holo's gameplay is fun and interactive, but I do not know if it's strong after the last patch.

I know SB is easy, but I'm not doing very well in 1v1, some professions give me oneshot even with set marauder + durability rune. I have better results on small scale.

If you're looking for an easy to pick up solo roaming class, there was a poll a few months back on Skill Floor and Skill Ceiling here.

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/comment/879574#Comment_879574

The results in the external poll has been erased I think.But the lowest skill floor class voted IIRC, was the Ranger.Meaning it was the easiest class to pick up and roam on.

If Ranger isn't working out well for you, I think Warrior was voted 2nd lowest skill floor.

Stealth is pretty much mandatory otherwise you will get constantly banged up by numbers.

• Scrapper is probably the best tank with mediocre DPS, LONGGGGGG stealth, easy play.
  • Holo is also a solid pick but outside of the simpler rotations it is difficult to master but very strong once mastered.
  • Mirage: Really strong particularly condi variants that are near impossible to solo, good stealth, solid teleports.
  • Soul Beast: Just took one to the knee with the latest patch but still strong. Good mobility, limited stealth, strong damage, easy, fairly tanky
  • Thief variants: Just don't... really don't. Class has been nerfed to mostly uselessness. It is a fun and slippery but simply gets outperformed by virtually every other class.

The rest: Lots of strong offense and defense but they just get run over by numbers way too frequently.

@"spectrito.8513" said:You'll have a hard time trying to solo roam now, specially as a melee, but If you really want to go solo, pick anything with good burst and good mobility/stealth, otherwise you will die over and over to 5+ players on a mount, also dont try necro.

Vendoll and a few others would call your "dont try necro" mention utter BS. Just saying.....

@Ruinus.7519 said:

@"spectrito.8513" said:You'll have a hard time trying to solo roam now, specially as a melee, but If you really want to go solo, pick anything with good burst and good mobility/stealth, otherwise you will die over and over to 5+ players on a mount,
also dont try necro

Vendoll and a few others would call your "dont try necro" mention utter BS. Just saying.....

I am playing reaper and I have liked, I get 1x1 more kills than with SB.

@LordSlain.5874 said:

@"spectrito.8513" said:You'll have a hard time trying to solo roam now, specially as a melee, but If you really want to go solo, pick anything with good burst and good mobility/stealth, otherwise you will die over and over to 5+ players on a mount,
also dont try necro

I am playing reaper and I have liked, I get 1x1 more kills than with SB.That's still only 1 more kill which isnt impressive.

@spectrito.8513 said:

Not for roaming, you will lose most of the fights against other roaming builds since they can easily kite you, im not saying you cant be successful with necro, but it will be a lot harder than a soulbeast for example

I mean reaper vs a melee or condi build just cleaves you to death.

Roaming in WvW is going to be a love/hate thing so you better go in with expectations of having some miserable fights. You'll rarely get a 1v1 so don't expect it. Fights will rarely feel fair. Honestly if it's for fights, go to PvP because I will honestly say that's more fun for just fighting.

If you want to flip camps and sentries, and maybe an occasional tower, or randomly run into other roamers and form a small posse to do the same, then roaming is probably going to be more enjoyable than not.

Warclaw makes roaming accessible to more professions, even slow movers like Necro. So pick something you enjoy, which means you love it so much you play it often and have the skills committed to mental memory. That will likely lead to the best experience (which will still be miserable at times due to the unfairness of the game mode).