Open world/ Solo content build for Warrior

powetng.1024

Hello everyone! This has probably being brought up before but with the new balancing patch is here. What is the better suit openworld/solo content build for Warrior to run through the world just for stories, exploration and etc? I find my Warrior die easily so would like to see what's your build to make it more sustainable and able to dish certain DPS.

Thanks!

GS + Mace/Shield. Strength Bot-Mid-Mid Def Top Top Any and your choice of third trait line.

Forceful Greatsword+Might Makes Right gives you great sustain while cleaving mobs. The might on block from Defense when you know a lot of incoming fire is about to happen also helps your sustain. Mace/shield for breakbars. Defense grandmaster depends on what you need. If you need condi clear take mid. More stun breaks? Take top. If you need more sustain take bottom.

If you want to run core then run Disc Mid Bot Top/Bot. Mid Top Top/Bot if you run bannersIf you want to be a Spellbreaker run Top Any MidFor Berserker its Top Top Top for big Deeps, Bot Bot Bot for more sustain. All Mids if you want to run Condi instead of Power (don't in OW).

I'm looking for the same thing as the OP. I recently returned to the game after a long hiatus and I'm able enough to kill most things in the new areas of the map, but I seem to be very squishy.I'm using http://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Spellbreaker_-_Strength_GreatswordAdmittedly my gear is probably not up to snuff anymore and I don't currently have access to Magebane Tether yet in the Spellbreaker Specialization.

@"powetng.1024" said:Hello everyone! This has probably being brought up before but with the new balancing patch is here. What is the better suit openworld/solo content build for Warrior to run through the world just for stories, exploration and etc? I find my Warrior die easily so would like to see what's your build to make it more sustainable and able to dish certain DPS.

Thanks!

So I found this video showing off the "Best" warrior set up. It's old and I took the leap and have been playing around with it now and it seems to be pretty nice but it's really dependent on gear. I have nothing compared to this guys gear but so far I seem to hold my own against a lot. Unless I stand in stupid for too long or I get cocky and draw in more than I should.https://youtu.be/4L9MiBuJgjY

Warrior is my last class to get to 80 (yes, I use boost then go back to content and enjoy myself). Thank so much for the tips! I intend to go power or "borrow" my Guardian's gear (ascended Marauders) till I get the hang of warrior.

@Lan Deathrider.5910 said:GS + Mace/Shield. Strength Bot-Mid-Mid Def Top Top Any and your choice of third trait line.

Forceful Greatsword+Might Makes Right gives you great sustain while cleaving mobs. The might on block from Defense when you know a lot of incoming fire is about to happen also helps your sustain. Mace/shield for breakbars. Defense grandmaster depends on what you need. If you need condi clear take mid. More stun breaks? Take top. If you need more sustain take bottom.

If you want to run core then run Disc Mid Bot Top/Bot. Mid Top Top/Bot if you run bannersIf you want to be a Spellbreaker run Top Any MidFor Berserker its Top Top Top for big Deeps, Bot Bot Bot for more sustain. All Mids if you want to run Condi instead of Power (don't in OW).

@"Lady Vanithy.6495" said:Warrior is my last class to get to 80 (yes, I use boost then go back to content and enjoy myself). Thank so much for the tips! I intend to go power or "borrow" my Guardian's gear (ascended Marauders) till I get the hang of warrior.

@Lan Deathrider.5910 said:GS + Mace/Shield. Strength Bot-Mid-Mid Def Top Top Any and your choice of third trait line.

If I may ask, which spec will you run? Core, Spellbreaker, or Berserker?

@Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

@"Lady Vanithy.6495" said:Warrior is my last class to get to 80 (yes, I use boost then go back to content and enjoy myself). Thank so much for the tips! I intend to go power or "borrow" my Guardian's gear (ascended Marauders) till I get the hang of warrior.

If I may ask, which spec will you run? Core, Spellbreaker, or Berserker?

Core for now.

If you just want a build for running around the world alone, doing stuff with your own pace then i suggest look up Lord Hizen One Man Army build for spellbreaker, it works perfectly fine even with exotic and you can't go wrong with that amount of toughness and power.

The build is still seem to be in good shape after balance patch, still using this one as my "slacking" build for one in a while.

I use my fractal gear(full berserker, scholar rune), but change Tactics for Defense. In strength I change my GM to Might makes Right. Healing Signet, FGJ, Signet of Fury, Throw Bolas and Signet of Rage. Sustain from Signet, MmR and Adren Health makes you stupid tanky.

If you join a meta event and are to lazy to change traits, atleast change utils to banners.

If any1 is interested I'll make a proper post with build link when I get home from work.

@"Eros.6801" said:

• If you just want a build for running around the world alone, doing stuff with your own pace then i suggest look up Lord Hizen One Man Army build for spellbreaker, it works perfectly fine even with exotic and you can't go wrong with that amount of toughness and power.
  • The build is still seem to be in good shape after balance patch, still using this one as my "slacking" build for one in a while.

I'm using a build by Lord Hizen and while it's nice I think I lack the gear to utilize it correctly.

I am enjoying my level 80 warrior, but he seems limited in solo options. I do not have, and will likely never have, a specialization. I have enjoyed the longbow for distance, then switch to axe/shield. He is running defense, tactics, and strength.

What is a good core build? And recommended weapons?

@Tukaram.8256 said:I am enjoying my level 80 warrior, but he seems limited in solo options. I do not have, and will likely never have, a specialization. I have enjoyed the longbow for distance, then switch to axe/shield. He is running defense, tactics, and strength.

What is a good core build? And recommended weapons?

Rifle is generally used for power builds, though LB has power based attacks on it, an aoe blind, an immobilize, and a great fire field.

For Core solo the chassis is as I mentioned above:Strength Bot-Mid-MidDef Top Top Any

For tactics, if you like Longbow and are playing by yourself thenTactics Bot Mid Top

If you want to spec more towards axe then your best bet is:Disc Mid Bot Top

@Acotje.5689 said:I use my fractal gear(full berserker, scholar rune), but change Tactics for Defense. In strength I change my GM to Might makes Right. Healing Signet, FGJ, Signet of Fury, Throw Bolas and Signet of Rage. Sustain from Signet, MmR and Adren Health makes you stupid tanky.

If you join a meta event and are to lazy to change traits, atleast change utils to banners.

If any1 is interested I'll make a proper post with build link when I get home from work.

Do share please! :D

@powetng.1024 said:

@"Acotje.5689" said:I use my fractal gear(full berserker, scholar rune), but change Tactics for Defense. In strength I change my GM to Might makes Right. Healing Signet, FGJ, Signet of Fury, Throw Bolas and Signet of Rage. Sustain from Signet, MmR and Adren Health makes you stupid tanky.

Do share please! :D

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vJAQNAnXRjMdQlH23BedAnIGICKsFehVwCgIon1vY6jBA-jxRBABXt/o8zMlgUq+THHCAAOBA4pPginAgoACM-eThis is what I use for doing my Story or running solo on a map. Sigils can just be your standard Force/Impact if you use the same gear for Fractals. Food is also up to you, you dont need the extra sustain from the Dumplings.

Rune of the Eagle is a great budget option. Don't go for Strength, the might duration is wasted IMO.Warrior has some great utility skills. Read them all and swap something if you are having trouble with an encounter(If you need more dodges, swap Signet of Fury for Signet of Stamina, for example)

If you join Meta events I recommend swapping to

but if you cba to change, atleast swap Signet and FGJ! for Banner of Strength/Discipline.

if you only care about open world (either solo, or large metas/world bosses)

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vJAQNAR5XjEdQlH29B2eAnIGICqcICioX/inIGsAICGAA-jBSBAB4pbgm9HA4hAYmSQKV/5KlfDcEAo4CAQKgAHDA-e

then this is the only build that matters

• has support in banners
  • has cc (crowd control like stun, dazes to break defiance bars https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Defiance_bar ) in main hand mace
  • has damage in offhand axe and greatsword
  • increases damage of players around you with empower allies and sharing might to them
  • good heal on short cooldown, that cures conditions and give +20% damage buff that lasts 6 seconds

really alot of good stuff

once you are fammiliar with that, you can slowly drop "comfortable things" for more offense, since this is not the type of build you'll want to use everywhere

With the amount of varied difficulty and range of content that can be experienced, it's a little flippant to claim this is the only build that matters. The second you get another Warrior in the same 'only this build matters' build ... it loses value.

It really just depends on the zone and what you're doing. If you want to roll around in Orr, you aren't using the same build you are running solo through Tangled Depths or hopping a bounty train in PoF. All different builds will all kinds of different things that matter on them. There isn't actually a reason to roll a 'one size fits none' build like that anymore.

I played an unconventional Arms/Discipline/Spellbreaker, with a major emphasis on fury uptime and ferocity inflation. All berserker gear with Rune of Rage. Super fun and fast. My health is rarely in danger.

Spellbreaker is excellent for soloing, as it plays both offense and defense superbly. Obviously Full Counter whenever possible when facing groups of mobs, and when anticipating big attacks from bosses. Sustain is further assisted with multiple sources of health-over-time: Healing Signet; Sun and Moon Style trait in SB line. I love Stomp for its versatility and synergy (can grant multiple stacks of Insight for SB), but mainly to get out of trouble.

• 2 weeks later...

@Zin Dau.1749 said:I played an unconventional Arms/Discipline/Spellbreaker, with a major emphasis on fury uptime and ferocity inflation. All berserker gear with Rune of Rage. Super fun and fast. My health is rarely in danger.

Spellbreaker is excellent for soloing, as it plays both offense and defense superbly. Obviously Full Counter whenever possible when facing groups of mobs, and when anticipating big attacks from bosses. Sustain is further assisted with multiple sources of health-over-time: Healing Signet; Sun and Moon Style trait in SB line. I love Stomp for its versatility and synergy (can grant multiple stacks of Insight for SB), but mainly to get out of trouble.

Traitlines, Gear and weapon choice?

@"powetng.1024" said:Traitlines, Gear and weapon choice?

This is my former build:Arms/Discipline/Spellbreakerhttp://gw2skills.net/editor/?PKEBcihflJw4YKsOWJW0XWveA-zRIYR8XINFKRUVlmguNLj9aB-e

To be honest, that build lost quite a bit of sustain ever since they removed regen from Inspiring Battle Standard (now called Doubled Standards). It's not as smooth sailing as before. So I'm still looking for ways to compensate.

--

So just started to test a new build, below. Even without all the ideal sigil and runes yet, I can already feel much better sustain without losing DPS.

Arms/Strength/Spellbreaker:http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PKEBcihflZwuYHMFGJOWL6veA-zRIYR8fINJUCUVVqEUxzywjWA-e

Whereas the first build focuses on fury uptime, the second build will focus on generating might as often as possible. Every time you gain might, will trigger Might Makes Right for recovering health and endurance. Thus we abuse as many might procs as possible. A major source is critical hits, which will proc Forceful Greatsword multiple times per second and Sigil of Strength once per second. Also Sigil of Battle will grant might during weapon swap, about every 10 seconds. Battle Standard grants might every 3 seconds; this will emulate the former regen from banners which we recently lost.

Weapons of choice are simply the fastest available for the Warrior: Dagger and Axe. Their #5 skills hit multiple times, granting lots of chances to crit, and thus trigger Might Makes Right for massive healing. Dagger off-hand offers additional healing via Sun and Moon Style that scales with crit damage.

All in all, you rarely have to use active healing because there is so much automatic passive healing. And we don't have to give up DPS for this form of sustain.

Arms trait-line doesn't seem to offer much. Nevertheless, Dual Wielding is solid boost to DPS, and makes the already-rapid weapons even rapider. As a small bonus, Burst attacks will grant Fury every 15 second--to keep crit-chance topped up. (If in a party that bestows quickness and fury, can replace Arms line with something else. Probably Discipline for Axe Mastery and more frequent weapon swap and bursts.)

@Zin Dau.1749 said:

@"powetng.1024" said:Traitlines, Gear and weapon choice?

This is my former build:Arms/Discipline/Spellbreaker

To be honest, that build lost quite a bit of sustain ever since they removed regen from Inspiring Battle Standard (now called Doubled Standards). It's not as smooth sailing as before. So I'm still looking for ways to compensate.

--

So just started to test a new build, below. Even without all the ideal sigil and runes yet, I can already feel much better sustain without losing DPS.

Arms/Strength/Spellbreaker:

Whereas the first build focuses on fury uptime, the second build will focus on generating might as often as possible. Every time you gain might, will trigger Might Makes Right for recovering health and endurance. Thus we abuse as many might procs as possible. A major source is critical hits, which will proc Forceful Greatsword multiple times per second and Sigil of Strength once per second. Also Sigil of Battle will grant might during weapon swap, about every 10 seconds. Battle Standard grants might every 3 seconds; this will emulate the former regen from banners which we recently lost.

Weapons of choice are simply the fastest available for the Warrior: Dagger and Axe. Their #5 skills hit multiple times, granting lots of chances to crit, and thus trigger Might Makes Right for massive healing. Dagger off-hand offers additional healing via Sun and Moon Style that scales with crit damage.

All in all, you rarely have to use active healing because there is so much automatic passive healing. And we don't have to give up DPS for this form of sustain.

Arms trait-line doesn't seem to offer much. Nevertheless, Dual Wielding is solid boost to DPS, and makes the already-rapid weapons even rapider. As a small bonus, Burst attacks will grant Fury every 15 second--to keep crit-chance topped up. (If in a party that bestows quickness and fury, can replace Arms line with something else. Probably Discipline for Axe Mastery and faster weapon swap and bursts.)

This is a good setup for open world, but here are a few suggestions that may help you some more.

Signet of Rage will be better than Battle Standard, especially since you are traiting Signet Mastery.

The DPS boost from Dual Wielding gets negated by the Quickness on Axe 4 and S&M Style. Furious will help with you adrenaline gain if you feel that is lacking. Burst Precision will make all your bursts crit, which will get better benefit from Sundering Bursts. Full Counter in PvE hits hard, so making sure it crits is nice.

Runes of the Firebrand might interest you due to the increased quickness uptime. Axe 4 would be 3 seconds of quickness and S&M style would give roughly 4s of it.

Runes of Speed will turn the swiftness from Dagger 5 and Signet of Rage into a superior superspeed (superspeed only increases movement while running forward, swiftness increases movement speed in all directions and Runes of Speed will make swiftness give 99% increased movement).

There is already so good advices, that I don't have much to add. I basically just repeat what others have said, with some small personal insights.

@"powetng.1024" said:What is the better suit openworld/solo content build for Warrior to run through the world just for stories, exploration and etc? I find my Warrior die easily so would like to see what's your build to make it more sustainable and able to dish certain DPS.

First quickly my story on Warrior. It was my first class and I died a lot. At some point I decided to try other classes. Then, after like year I came back to try warrior, and this time I was surprised how sturdy it can be. It is hard to make direct comparison to other classes, I think it stands there in the mid with ranger in terms of how easy it is to face mobs and come out as winner.

Shortly: It helps if you have some perspective to other classes, and some experience from the mobs you meet. For example, if you have played e.g. PP/Rifle Deadeye, you definitely appreciate the AoE DPS Warrior does.

For plain sustain, Warriors have two good sources from traits: Might Makes Right (Strength) and Adrenaline Health (Defense). MMR heals every time you gain Might, and because you usually anyways like to get lots of Might (e.g. traiting Forceful Greatsword from Strength to give Might on critical strikes), you get regenerative heals "for free". Defense's Adrenaline Health is the same story, normally you want to spam your burst skills anyways (that is, you like to have good adrenaline generation), so you get "free" regenerative heals.

Thus it is no wonder many if not most Warrior solo builds revolve around these specs. The third one you usually consider is Discipline because of certain synergies, for example, it lowers burst skill cooldown which works well with Adrenaline Health. So, for core solo builds, there is this very common trinity: Strength - Discipline - Defense.

If you choose Spellbreaker or Berserker, you need to give up one of those three. It is very hard to say which ones to take and what to drop, it comes down to your personal preferences, playstyle and experience. Common choice is to keep Strength and Discipline.

My personal favorite at the moment for open world is Core Axe/Axe Warrior build. It follows the same principles as @Acotje.5689's build. Some notes:

• Strength 3-2-2: I pick Peak Performance to drop Physical skill cooldown. I personally like to make builds revolve around low-CD skills, as high-CD skills are more or less situational.
  • Discipline 2-3-1: I pick Axe mastery, because I pick axes, and that is because I suck with greatsword.
  • Defense x-x-2: There are lots of good combos here. Popular choice is to pick 3-1-1 to get great procs (auto-stunbreak every 40 secs and auto-immunity every 60 secs). I tend to like to choose Cleansing Ire (x-x-2) for condition management and auto-adrenaline generation when on Mace/Shield. I give up auto-stunbreak (and stance boost) every 40 secs.
  • Axe/Axe + Mace/Shield: Axes are for DPS and Mace/Shield is for breakbars.

Because choosing Peak Performance, I tend to slot physical skills. One of my favorites is Stomp: stun break, stability, +20% dmg for 6 secs with Peak Performance. As healing skill, I tend to choose Mending (low CD burst heal, condi remove, +20 dmg), although Healing Signet is good option, too.

Just about the gears in general. Personally I think, that Warrior does fine also in full zerker. You get 20k health automatically, which is something that classes like guard and ele can only dream of. In general, if your main objective is e.g. in fractals, there is just no need to tailor open world gear set much, just use fractal pieces.

On the other hand, if you do WvW roaming, definitely those roaming gears generally fit better to open world PvE roaming, too. Both Marauder and Assassin swap pieces could be good, because one thing you loose when alone is boosted crit rate (from your team). No need to go to extremes here, of course.