PvE Power Mesmer

Noodle Ant.1605

Due to the new forum transition (my posting format got completely axed) and change in personal pursuits, I will no longer be updating/keeping track of benchmarks.

If you are curious about the current state of power mesmer (or mesmer in general) in PvE, you are still welcome to shoot a question in this thread.

Edited by Noodle Ant.1605
Discontinued tracking benchmarks.

@"NICENIKESHOE.7128" said:Raid chrono can still play roughly 37k, curious now with GS or mirror images given that 1 clone can barely get anything done now....Well...its always like that anyway so not much changeFunny enough to see GS in raid really, I wonder how many times I'll get kick for using this rotation :P

I’m more than aware about how raid power chrono is still very much viable, and already listed similarly high predicted numbers for DT domi/illu dps chrono. These builds are done on ideal conditions - 100% slow uptime, only reliably maintainable in raids.

You really don’t need to look much farther - outside of raids, when your group size is cut from 10 down to 5, your slow uptime becomes horribly unreliable, especially as 2 out of 4 of your remaining group members are likely gonna be fb + ren instead of chrono. You’re then relying on a condi rev to appear, which is already quite rare, and even then, the condi rev isn’t too focused on applying slow for you anyway (phases are great).

This means power chronos NOT IN RAIDS have basically the same power or run the same builds as the weaker variants, which is obviously quite lower.

Although I mostly play with IA stats (wayyyyy more assassins gear), I do try to abuse the bustedness of Danger Time whenever possible (like on open world bosses), but there have many instances where I’ve run DT and not seen a single second of slow (apart from my own from F3), technically making me even weaker then the IA/IR variants.

I suppose what’s really irking me right now is Anet’s decision to nerf underperforming builds, while leaving the clearly higher ones mostly untouched (like, either nerf the higher one or nerf ‘em all :cry:).

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Updated initial post for the February 25 2020 patch.

DT pChrono:With Vicious Expression, pChrono is now able to break 40k (again). Changes to GS means that running focus is now always more optimal, and Domi should pretty much always be taken over Illu.

IA/IR pChrono (‘no-slow chrono’):The no-slow Domi build got a nice boost with the recent patch, but no-slow chrono in general still remains at the lower end of the dps spectrum.

Core pMes:The change from Mental Anguish to Vicious Expression means that core mesmer got an increase to dps as well as reliability. However, the restoration of the 15% dmg bonus for 2/3 Mind Wrack means that core mesmer and mirage should not 'freeshatter' anymore, limiting the dps increase from this bonus.

pMirage:I bench this as a joke.

Edit(s):Someone made a IA domi (focus) bench of 34.4k, showing that the change to Domi has made it a very bloated traitline vs Illu.

• 4 months later...

Updated initial post for the July 7 2020 patch.

All pChrono variants:Split Second got buffed and dryshattering is now a thing again. Shattering less than 3 clones is less punishing than before.

Everything else:Nothing changed.

Deleted FAQ section and will eventually (haha) repost them in a more detailed post(s) somewhere below.

@Noodle Ant.1605 said:Updated for the July 7 patch.

Context:

I've been closely following the different variations of power mes ever since the phantasm rework, initially playing an izerker army chrono build (now formally known as domi dps gs chrono). Whilst core mes and mirage variants have been left relatively the same since that update, chrono on the other hand has seen a range of different changes, some notable ones being the inclusion of illusions in Danger Time, the Csplit - SoE 'fix' and now, the chrono 'trade off' update. As the devs continue to change and mold the game in whatever way they see fit, I thought it would be appropriate to review and actually show some form of performance #s of power mes variants which
are not
benched, seeing that I can't find them anywhere.

Disclaimer: I am unable to do proper benchmarks myself, meaning that many of these numbers are made from a series of tests, calculations and projections (indicated by ~). My own actual benches are usually only ~75-85% of the numbers shown, mostly due to ping (300 ms) and/or not having the perfect rotation nailed down yet.

Current numbers
(February 25, 2020):
  • DT domi dps pchrono: 42.9k (focus)
  • DT illu dps pchrono: ~37k
  • IA domi dps pchrono: ~36-37k
  • IA/IR illu dps pchrono: ~31-32k
  • Core pmes: ~29k
  • pMirage: ~24-25k

Notes:
These are lazy benchmarks (I just added 1-3k from previous benches w/o really testing). I'll eventually get around to fixing this.
Eventually.

3 clone Split Second got buffed by 33% for slow variants, but 70-80% for no-slow variants. Additionally, chrono can now dryshatter F1 and F2 during Csplit again.

Historic benches
:

February 25, 2020:
  • DT domi dps pchrono: 40.8k (focus) / 38.8k (gs)
  • DT illu dps pchrono: ~35k
  • IA domi dps pchrono: 34.4k
  • IA/IR illu dps pchrono: ~28-29k
    October 1, 2019 + December 3, 2019:
  • DT domi dps pchrono: 37.6k (was not buffed, a slightly better rotation was found)
  • DT illu dps pchrono: 34.3k
  • IA domi dps pchrono: ~29-30k
  • IA/IR illu dps pchrono: ~28k
  • Core pmes: ~26k
    (actually slightly higher, discovered a 'freeshatter' rotation but didn't record it)
  • pMirage: ~23k
    July 15, 2019:
  • DT domi dps pchrono: 36.4k
  • DT illu dps pchrono: 34.3k
  • IA domi dps pchrono: ~29-30k
  • IA/IR illu dps pchrono: ~28k
  • Core pmes: ~26k
  • pMirage: ~23k
    April 23, 2019:
  • DT domi dps pchrono: 37.8k
  • DT illu dps pchrono: 35k
  • IA domi dps pchrono: ~32k
  • IA illu dps pchrono: ~30-31k
  • Core pmes: ~27k
  • pMirage: ~22k

P. S. I would appreciate it if someone could actually do proper benchmarks and confirm or debunk (hopefully positively!) these numbers.

I'm very surprised by this benchmark. Does the Focus phant add that much dps really?

What is DT/IA/IR?DT = Danger TimeIA = Improved AlacrityIR = Illusionary ReversionIt is important to differentiate these, as DT variants are based on 100% slow uptime and will suffer some penalty w/o slow, whereas non-DT variants suffer no penalty.

What is the difference between (power) chrono/core/mirage?Tbh, not much. They all currently play the same atm (i.e. all focus, pretty much the same rotation minus Csplit, also dodging on pMirage is a dps loss). This is more of a jab at anet's espec design - are especs actually a sidegrade of core/each other? Why is only chrono being buffed to infinity?

And then despite all these buffs, chrono continues to suffer from having to rely on Csplit (massive 100s CD) and DT (reliance on a rare condition); these buffs aren't doing much other than making chrono look extremely bloated in terms of dps.

Otherwise:Chrono = has 'chronoburst' and chronophantaspam.Core = has 'PvPburst' which deletes trash mobs instantly (like afk players). Follows the same phants > autoattack formula as chrono; does more autos and is more faceroll than chrono.Mirage = downgrade copy of core. Better to run GS ambush spam for tagging mobs.

Is (power) mesmer viable in raids?Yes, but use Domi DT chrono. Thanks to countless buffs, you could honestly play any Domi chrono variant w/o slow and not drag down your team too much. Strikes are the same deal.

Is (power) mesmer viable in fractals?It is as viable as using any other condi dps - if you think condi is OK to use in fracs, then power mesmer is OK to use. Otherwise it isn't.

(Fractals) What should I run?Preferably some chrono variant. A guide to what you should run is dependent on your team comp:

• No dedicated source of slow: don't bother using any of the DT varaints. You could try to supply it yourself, but I don't find it worthwhile.
  • No quickness: decide whether or not 20% of your dps is more worthwhile than your team having quickness. If not - run Seize the Moment instead of Chronophantasma and Time Warp (cast only in Csplit). If so - don't bother.
  • No alacrity: drop MoP (Mantra of Pain) for Well of Recall, aim to double cast it using Csplit (you may need to perform a 3-clone Csplit). Some alacrity (12s chained) for the entire group is better than none, especially when you're dropping only 4% of your dps.
  • No quickness and alacrity: just cover quickness. You could attempt to do both, but at that point there might be something wrong with your team.
  • Lack of CC: run Moa Signet for fast CC or Well of Gravity otherwise. If more CC is required, drop MoP for Domination Signet for fast CC, or alternatively Mantra of Distraction (but unlike MoP, you should not 'keep' charges). Asura players may choose to use Technobabble instead, to avoid looking like a noob with domi signet on their bar when playing a power spec.

Learn and perform skips whenever possible; you have double blink (using mimic) + portal, use it. Alternatively, you could just ignore all of this and pretend that you're a dps that can only dps.

@Noodle Ant.1605 said:Updated for the July 7 patch.

Context:

I've been closely following the different variations of power mes ever since the phantasm rework, initially playing an izerker army chrono build (now formally known as domi dps gs chrono). Whilst core mes and mirage variants have been left relatively the same since that update, chrono on the other hand has seen a range of different changes, some notable ones being the inclusion of illusions in Danger Time, the Csplit - SoE 'fix' and now, the chrono 'trade off' update. As the devs continue to change and mold the game in whatever way they see fit, I thought it would be appropriate to review and actually show some form of performance #s of power mes variants which
are not
benched, seeing that I can't find them anywhere.

Disclaimer: I am unable to do proper benchmarks myself, meaning that many of these numbers are made from a series of tests, calculations and projections (indicated by ~). My own actual benches are usually only ~75-85% of the numbers shown, mostly due to ping (300 ms) and/or not having the perfect rotation nailed down yet.

Current numbers
(July 7, 2020):
  • DT domi dps pchrono: 42.9k (focus)
  • DT illu dps pchrono: ~37k
  • IA domi dps pchrono: ~36-37k
  • IA/IR illu dps pchrono: ~31-32k

Benches are based on using focus. Benches using GS are 1-2k lower on average.

Notes:
These are lazy benchmarks (I just added 1-3k from previous benches w/o really testing). I'll eventually get around to fixing this.
Eventually.

3 clone Split Second got buffed by 33% for slow variants, but 70-80% for no-slow variants. Additionally, chrono can now dryshatter F1 and F2 during Csplit again.

36-37k IA for fractals is very nice, instead of trying to provide my own slow with f3 and ulty

• 4 months later...

@Noodle Ant.1605 said:What is DT/IA/IR?DT = Danger TimeIA = Improved AlacrityIR = Illusionary ReversionIt is important to differentiate these, as DT variants are based on 100% slow uptime and will suffer some penalty w/o slow, whereas non-DT variants suffer no penalty.

What is the difference between (power) chrono/core/mirage?Tbh, not much. They all currently play the same atm (i.e. all focus, pretty much the same rotation minus Csplit, also dodging on pMirage is a dps loss). This is more of a jab at anet's espec design - are especs actually a sidegrade of core/each other? Why is only chrono being buffed to infinity?

And then despite all these buffs, chrono continues to suffer from having to rely on Csplit (massive 100s CD) and DT (reliance on a rare condition); these buffs aren't doing much other than making chrono look extremely bloated in terms of dps.

Otherwise:Chrono = has 'chronoburst' and chronophantaspam.Core = has 'PvPburst' which deletes trash mobs instantly (like afk players). Follows the same phants > autoattack formula as chrono; does more autos and is more faceroll than chrono.Mirage = downgrade copy of core. Better to run GS ambush spam for tagging mobs.

Can core compete with chrono for fracs because of less ramp up and more shatters? i.e more burst

@necromaniac.7629 said:

What is DT/IA/IR?
DT = Danger TimeIA = Improved AlacrityIR = Illusionary ReversionIt is important to differentiate these, as DT variants are based on 100% slow uptime and will suffer some penalty w/o slow, whereas non-DT variants suffer no penalty.

What is the difference between (power) chrono/core/mirage?
Tbh, not much. They all currently play the same atm (i.e. all focus, pretty much the same rotation minus Csplit, also dodging on pMirage is a dps loss). This is more of a jab at anet's espec design - are especs actually a sidegrade of core/each other? Why is only chrono being buffed to infinity?

Can core compete with chrono for fracs because of less ramp up and more shatters? i.e more burst

There is a
very large
margin between core and chrono (~7-12k). But as I wrote on another thread:chrono is garbage on things that don’t last for very long (trash, breakbars), and only shines on things that do get to last long enough (target golem, raid bosses).Chrono's specialty is specifically bosses, and nothing else really. This means for non-boss content (i.e. clearing trash), core competes reasonably well - in many cases being the better option.

On bosses however, the competition is relatively one-sided, with core only being able to compete (technically speaking) with some number of the following criteria:

• Boss(es) has low to no slow uptime. Chrono not having slow brings it a lot closer to core, and having to self-supply slow itself doesn't have much of as much as an impact when it fails to exist on windows of opportunity (i.e. breakbars) and/or when it only buffs AA's and not bursts.
  • Boss(es) has a breakbar at start of the fight that is broken near instantly and not delayed. This catches the peak of core's burst but not chrono's. Core is also better at delaying its burst/having alternate burst combos to 'catch' subsequent breakbars if possible (more is better), whereas chrono is more or less better played mindlessly cycling through its rotation as most of its skills deal DoT.
  • Boss(es) has multiple, frequent phases which heavily disrupt chrono's non-quickness'd, respawning phantasms and csplit timing.
  • Boss does not last long enough for chrono to take advantage of its higher sustained dmg.
  • Other factors which did not come to mind :anguished:

Core is sort of a 'win-more' approach in these situations as compared to chrono, where mesmer as a whole is not considered very good for this type of content. Ofc you may beat unexperienced/casual players even as core, but against people who really know how to play, purple class should always lose.

@Noodle Ant.1605 said:

What is DT/IA/IR?
DT = Danger TimeIA = Improved AlacrityIR = Illusionary ReversionIt is important to differentiate these, as DT variants are based on 100% slow uptime and will suffer some penalty w/o slow, whereas non-DT variants suffer no penalty.

Tbh, not much. They all currently play the same atm (i.e. all focus, pretty much the same rotation minus Csplit, also dodging on pMirage is a dps loss). This is more of a jab at anet's espec design - are especs actually a sidegrade of core/each other? Why is only chrono being buffed to infinity?

There is a
very large
margin between core and chrono (~7-12k). But as I wrote on another thread:chrono is garbage on things that don’t last for very long (trash, breakbars), and only shines on things that do get to last long enough (target golem, raid bosses).Chrono's specialty is specifically bosses, and nothing else really. This means for non-boss content (i.e. clearing trash), core competes reasonably well - in many cases being the better option.

On bosses however, the competition is relatively one-sided, with core only being able to compete (technically speaking) with some number of the following criteria:
  • Boss(es) has low to no slow uptime. Chrono not having slow brings it a lot closer to core, and having to self-supply slow itself doesn't have much of as much as an impact when it fails to exist on windows of opportunity (i.e. breakbars) and/or when it only buffs AA's and not bursts.
  • Boss(es) has a breakbar at start of the fight that is broken near instantly and not delayed. This catches the peak of core's burst but not chrono's. Core is also better at delaying its burst/having alternate burst combos to 'catch' subsequent breakbars if possible (more is better), whereas chrono is more or less better played mindlessly cycling through its rotation as most of its skills deal DoT.
  • Boss(es) has multiple, frequent phases which heavily disrupt chrono's non-quickness'd, respawning phantasms and csplit timing.
  • Boss does not last long enough for chrono to take advantage of its higher sustained dmg.

Core is sort of a 'win-more' approach in these situations as compared to chrono, where mesmer as a whole is not considered very good for this type of content. Ofc you may beat unexperienced/casual players even as core, but against people
who really know how to play
, purple class should always lose.

Thanks for going in detail, " but against people who really know how to play, purple class should always lose." oof that sucks to hear, forgot power chrono phantasms doesn't have quickness too (cause i'm mostly playing illusions in open world)Sounds like just need to make video rotation to satisfy our "needs" cause personally I just love theory crafting and stuff

@necromaniac.7629 said:

What is DT/IA/IR?

There is a
very large

Core is sort of a 'win-more' approach in these situations as compared to chrono, where mesmer as a whole is not considered very good for this type of content. Ofc you may beat unexperienced/casual players even as core, but against people

Thanks for going in detail, " but against people
, purple class should always lose." oof that sucks to hear, forgot power chrono phantasms doesn't have quickness too (cause i'm mostly playing illusions in open world)Sounds like just need to make video rotation to satisfy our "needs" cause personally I just love theory crafting and stuff

I feel like I should explain myself a bit more. In the high-end of the high-end (and keeping in mind this specifically refers to fractals), you can expect things such as:

• Instant breakbars, which favours other classes' burst more than mesmer
  • OWP stance share, which mesmer fails to utilise since it lacks drawn out multi-hits (phantasms don't trigger OWP from the mesmer)
  • Precasting, which mesmer can't really do anything
  • Class specific buffs/bonuses/abilities, which mesmer doesn't really have anything to bring outside of boonstrip

The only class which mesmer might not lose to is revenant due to its lack of a dedicated power dps spec. But a revenant is almost always run for alac and other important goodies anyways (it has boonstrip too so why play mesmer?).

There's also some other mesmer-specific annoyances that I've discovered over the past few years:

• Clones and phantasms can be CC'ed/targeted and destroyed by 'accident'
  • Csplit rift can be destroyed randomly

@Noodle Ant.1605 said:

What is DT/IA/IR?

There is a
very large

Thanks for going in detail, " but against people
, purple class should always lose." oof that sucks to hear, forgot power chrono phantasms doesn't have quickness too (cause i'm mostly playing illusions in open world)Sounds like just need to make video rotation to satisfy our "needs" cause personally I just love theory crafting and stuff

I feel like I should explain myself a bit more. In the high-end of the high-end (and keeping in mind this specifically refers to fractals), you can expect things such as:
  • Instant breakbars, which favours other classes' burst more than mesmer
  • OWP stance share, which mesmer fails to utilise since it lacks drawn out multi-hits (phantasms don't trigger OWP from the mesmer)
  • Precasting, which mesmer can't really do anything
  • Class specific buffs/bonuses/abilities, which mesmer doesn't really have anything to bring outside of boonstrip

The only class which mesmer might not lose to is revenant due to its lack of a dedicated power dps spec. But a revenant is almost always run for alac and other important goodies anyways (it has boonstrip too so why play mesmer?).

There's also some other mesmer-specific annoyances that I've discovered over the past few years:
  • Clones and phantasms can be CC'ed/targeted and destroyed by 'accident'
  • Csplit rift can be destroyed randomlyI feel you, one thing that annoys me with is the sword phantasm still doing a little run-up/leap even if you're literally on top of the target. The recent-ish patch where they made it so it spawns based on the targets location obviously doesn't matter if you're close range, even the quickness if you're using illusionf runs out nearing the end of its attack because of this.