Griffon Mount Cost

Anyone else feel that the 250g for the griffon mount is a bit much, I already have the mount myself, but it feels like the same thing as saying oh you need to buy a commander tag to finish a large chunk of pof content.

I dunno I think it would of been better to make it available via new combined pve, pvp, wvw achievements or something instead of gold. But I know they need gold sinks so I dunno.

• Sad 1

@Nick Lentz.6982 said:You literally do not need the griffon. Price point is moot. That seems to be the point every one forgets.Do you need legendary weapons or armor? NoDo you need collections? NoDo you need a tag? No.

Not sure why its still a big deal

because he has it and he isn't sharing with me

i wish i could afford the mount lol i have 1 gold left and am still trying to gather resources for ascended light armor

@Nick Lentz.6982 said:You literally do not need the griffon. Price point is moot. That seems to be the point every one forgets.Do you need legendary weapons or armor? NoDo you need collections? NoDo you need a tag? No.

Yah but u can't do half of the challenges or even get to some areas without it. So it's not just a convenience/vanity item.

@Jumpin Lumpix.6108 said:

@czerwoni.9563 said:

i wish i could afford the mount lol i have 1 gold left and am still trying to gather resources for ascended light armor

Yah but u can't do half of the challenges or even get to some areas without it. So it's not just a convenience/vanity item.

Yes, you can't do the adventures designed specifically for the griffon but there is no area that you cannot reach without it.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@czerwoni.9563 said:

Yes, you can't do the adventures designed specifically for the griffon but there is no area that you cannot reach without it.

Exactly that. They only give cheevos too. Its not going to prevent you from reaching anything on the maps. That's the point. Its basically convenience

@"Nick Lentz.6982" said:You literally do not need the griffon. Price point is moot. That seems to be the point every one forgets.Do you need legendary weapons or armor? NoDo you need collections? NoDo you need a tag? No.

This is exactly where I go with all of these posts about the price tag. All of the things you listed including the Griffon are the icing on the cake. If everyone were meant to have them they would be included without a price tag ( the other 4 mounts) ... Ill never have Legendary armor but you'll never hear me cryin about it and props to those who DO have it! Wow what a commitment!

250 gold is cheap compared to almost every "gravy" item in this game I hope mounts that are extra stay this price ... I can always manage 250 gold just by farming, laurels and dailys ... its so easy.

@Jumpin Lumpix.6108 said:Anyone else feel that the 250g for the griffon mount is a bit much, I already have the mount myself, but it feels like the same thing as saying oh you need to buy a commander tag to finish a large chunk of pof content.

I dunno I think it would of been better to make it available via new combined pve, pvp, wvw achievements or something instead of gold. But I know they need gold sinks so I dunno.

Bubu u can make that gold in a week or 2 :/

@CptAurellian.9537 said:The griffon is a vanity mount and not a necessary one like the others. So yes, 250 gold is a perfectly fine price.

I wouldn't consider it a vanity mount, since its practical utility is the highest out of the 5.... with the one exception of Springer High Jump. Its like Gliding in Core Tyria- You don't need it, but it does open up routes to make getting around a lot more efficient. GW2 has a unique problem of non-obsolescence when it comes to daily activities; so players are under increasing pressure to get their daily routes done as quickly as possible, so as to not lose potential rewards stuck behind the time gate. They "could" fix this with redundant options in multiple areas of interest..... but doing so results in major push back from the players, as its seen as a lost opportunity for additional rewards on the daily routes. This is one of the few games where if 6 vendors are offering a daily item each, and then adding 6 clones in the new map for the sake of convenience, the player base would immediately demand they be unlinked so they can get 12 daily items by hitting all of them per day.

This question is going to become extremely relevant when the new Raid wings come up; because its asking if HOT still is a requirement for Legendary armor. If POF raids don't offer contribution to Legendary armor (if not a whole new collection track for players without HOT to get started on), then its going to explode into a debate of the reward viability of POF raid wings. They've already established 2 precedents: 1. That HOT is needed for Wings 1-4 because Gliding is a requirement. And 2. Xpac content can't assume players have access to abilities from previous Xpacs. This means Raid Wings can't operate independently of mastery abilities , unless they're willing to go back and redesign the levels to exclude them (which is unlikely)..... or that Raids mastery tracks will have to contain a redundant track for requisite abilities, and offer enough MPs to unlock them.

The result of this inconsistency means POF raids will either offer currencies (like LIs) for a collection that doesn't exist, which is a problem for players without HOT; or that it doesn't offer currencies, causing HOT/POF players to question the reward value of POF raids. If either of those end up being true, HOT Raids will remain the primary weekly routine given the high value assigned to Legendary armor. In turn, POF raids will need to offer an equally valuable set of rewards to entice people into putting it into rotation.... but thats a hard sell when Legendary armor is such huge QOL bump. This could seriously break raid teams, because those still working on Legendary armor will put most of their energy into rewards that contribute toward them; but those with enough sets of legendary armor (those who no longer need to work on them) will considering going back to HOT raids a waste of time, if POF rewards are mutually exclusive and compete for time on raid schedules. So far ANET is refusing to address this question in detail; and have only stated POF will not have a new legendary armor collection. But that leaves too much open to interpretation, with serious consequences for those those who aren't already maxed out on Raid rewards. What are going to happen to LIs in POF raid wings? In HOT they're used exclusively for Legendary armor production, and nothing else (not even sink rewards or consumables like the other currencies do). It sounds inconsequential to established raiders..... but that raises an issue for people still working on, or are only now starting Legendary armor, if the source of LIs are taken out of the rotation schedule. But if LIs are part of rewards for POF wings.... what are maxed out players going to spend them on? Or are they going to do what they did with WvW, and accrete a new currency to replace LIs (in an attempt to reset the board), and leave a back channel to let the new currency buy Envoy Insignias?

If they keep doing this, how big of a mess will this create after 2 generations of accretion, and the Devs lose interest in legacy upkeep? If this question keeps getting put off, or legacy support purposely dropped without replacements, it runs the risk of another LS Season 1 situation where those rewards are desirable, but have no practical method of obtaining. And after all the effort into getting everything standardized for future production, this seems like a bad time to revert back to piece meal abandonment of items that have long term practical value to the player base.

• 2 months later...

@Haishao.6851 said:I think it was fine. 250 gold isn't expensive.Would be stupid to have pvp achievement for something that is pve only.

Please give me 250 gold for no reason. What? You just said 250 gold is not expensive. So just send them to me. They are worth nothing to you. They are worth more to me and would be in better hands.

@Chasind.3128 said:I think the price is fine, you dont HAVE to have it.

You don't HAVE to play Guild Wars 2. You don't even HAVE to play computer games, or HAVE a computer in the first place. You don't HAVE to eat chocolate. You don't HAVE to have a car.

Reading some of the stuff people write online makes me question if we are all part of the same species.