Self-Style Hair Kit and Total Makeover Kit no longer a Black Lion Chest drop?!

Honestly I think I already think the black lion chests aren't a fun content but i understand why Anet would nerf the average loot you can drop from it like this. That was one of the few drops that wasn't great but not too bad either. It's already hard enough to get black lion keys so i have no understanding for this.I think this is a slap in the face for anyone who even cares remotely about their looks. I honestly hope we'll at least get another way to earn them although i doubt it. Personally I'm pretty upset about this.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can buy them for Statuettes still, right?

I think this is a response to the problem of people having the permanent service getting single-use versions, as those are effectively useless in that case. Removing the single-use ones from the chest is in my opinion a poor solution, it would be much better to offer a trade-in to something; in my opinion Statuettes would be perfect.

@Turkeyspit.3965 said:If I open a BL Chest, I'd rather get these than a T5 crafting bag whose contents I can get from killing random LV 80 mobs. If they wanted to cull the common offerings, this isn't what they should have started with.

Those at least have a use. They need to think about the people who buy a lot of keys, simply because those are the ones most annoyed by getting useless items. Chest has been awful for a while now with many dead drops, but they started reducing them over time this year.

I have permanent contracts as well. The solution to the black lion chest drops shouldn't be to remove but to make it so you can exchange them for something more useful when you drop one. And while you might have over 100 of them that doesn't apply to us all nor does that either of this justify removing the total makeover kit

@Turkeyspit.3965 said:If I open a BL Chest, I'd rather get these than a T5 crafting bag whose contents I can get from killing random LV 80 mobs. If they wanted to cull the common offerings, this isn't what they should have started with.

I agree i think its bad they removed them, i rather have the makeover stuff than the over flow of cheap mats i can get all day long. They did it to make us buy them, they were already low chance as is to drop from the loot chest. Now i wont get any. Its nice for all you big gem spenders that have everything you can buy, but the majority of the players dont do that.

Not to derail this thread, but I really want to know "why" this was done. I don't think ANET figured nobody would notice this, and since it appears in the patch notes, this was a deliberate change. But why? Even better, why don't they tell us the why?

Was there a technical issue? Do they have something "better" on the horizon for us? Was this in response to negative feedback on these being part drops from BL chests (as commented above)?

What is the value in leaving us to wonder about this change, when a simple explanation could be delivered?

"We removed these items as we feel they become useless drops for those who regularly open chests". BOOM! Answered.

Then we could debate amongst ourselves whether we agree or disagree with this change, and ANET could then respond accordingly.

But these changes out of nowhere for sake of changes, or worse, part of some future plan that they won't discuss because they like to "surprise" us, is becoming quite fatiguing.

@"Turkeyspit.3965" said:Not to derail this thread, but I really want to know "why" this was done. I don't think ANET figured nobody would notice this, and since it appears in the patch notes, this was a deliberate change. But why? Even better, why don't they tell us the why?

Was there a technical issue? Do they have something "better" on the horizon for us? Was this in response to negative feedback on these being part drops from BL chests (as commented above)?

What is the value in leaving us to wonder about this change, when a simple explanation could be delivered?

"We removed these items as we feel they become useless drops for those who regularly open chests". BOOM! Answered.

Then we could debate amongst ourselves whether we agree or disagree with this change, and ANET could then respond accordingly.

But these changes out of nowhere for sake of changes, or worse, part of some future plan that they won't discuss because they like to "surprise" us, is becoming quite fatiguing.

So we can buy it directly, i mean you have to realize that right?

Don't like this change, it hurts people who do not open chests often, as the only way to get these items now is to purchase them direct from the gem store. If that is the direction Anet wanted to move, they should've removed the items completely and made the services cost Gems direct at the barber NPCs. If they wanted to give big Gem spenders less useless items, as a few suggested, then make them either exchangeable for statuettes (for example) or make them trade-able so that they can be posted in the Auction house.

Self style hair kits were good for new players, but awful for anyone that opens more than 10 black lion chests each month.

So glad they are gone, the total makeover kit out of uncommon category is even better. Easier to obtain the monthly exclusive item :)

Thank you ANET for removing this useless drop for veteran players that open multiple black lion chests every month.

@"Bishop.2690" said:Don't like this change, it hurts people who do not open chests often, as the only way to get these items now is to purchase them direct from the gem store.

Actually, the drop rate for the total make over was low, less than 2 for every 100 keys used. In other words, unless you were regularly opening 50 chests, you aren't going to see much of a change for total makeover.As a benefit, since Total Makeover was an uncommon drop, this makes it tad more likely that you'll get one of the account bound unlocks (this month: the newest Mountfit and the newest Outfit).

The hair-style kits dropped more often at about at 9-10%, so even map-completion/key-run only people will notice; it's just not as big a difference as it seems. The tradeoff isn't that good, since folks aren't typically that interested in "common" drops.

tl;dr in the long run, I don't think people will remember this a being a notable change.

I personally loved the hair kit and makeover kit dropping from the black lion chests. They were actually USEFUL and VALUABLE and fun to use. One of the very few things (aside from the rare special items) I looked forward to.

Only for those who either are super rich and open hundreds of chests or who just play one character they never change the looks of, it wasn't a great drop. For everyone else, it was great. But I guess the squeaky wheel gets the grease because of a handful of people loudly complaining.

So, choose between using statuettes for unique items you can't get anywhere else OR for kits you can buy with money? Right. That's not a solution.

@Udolpho.1209 said:I personally loved the hair kit and makeover kit dropping from the black lion chests. They were actually USEFUL and VALUABLE and fun to use. One of the very few things (aside from the rare special items) I looked forward to.

Only for those who either are super rich and open hundreds of chests or who just play one character they never change the looks of, it wasn't a great drop. For everyone else, it was great. But I guess the squeaky wheel gets the grease because of a handful of people loudly complaining.

So, choose between using statuettes for unique items you can't get anywhere else OR for kits you can buy with money? Right. That's not a solution.

I agree with this, i have received 2 in 7 months from blc..2. I rather get those than the silly bag of mats, no one needs mats! The game is flooded with mats!

@Tiviana.2650 said:

@"Udolpho.1209" said:I personally loved the hair kit and makeover kit dropping from the black lion chests. They were actually USEFUL and VALUABLE and fun to use. One of the very few things (aside from the rare special items) I looked forward to.

I agree with this, i have received 2 in 7 months from blc..2. I rather get those than the silly bag of mats, no one needs mats! The game is flooded with mats!

Personally, I'm glad these are gone...I've honestly only used one of the hair style kits once and I think I used a total makeover kit once...in the lifetime of the game. I don't need to change my characters look once I've made them since I made them the way I wanted them to look in the first place. If newer hair styles or faces came out and I happened to really like one...then it's must simpler to just make a new character using the new assets, otherwise I have literally over 150 self style hair kits and over 30 total make-up kits sitting in storage doing nothing...and they'll probably continue to do nothing for the foreseeable future, but I "paid" for them when I bought the keys, so I'm not tossing them. As for materials drops, at least I can get something for those, even if it's only a few silver per item(it adds up after a while).

@Udolpho.1209 said:I personally loved the hair kit and makeover kit dropping from the black lion chests. They were actually USEFUL and VALUABLE and fun to use. One of the very few things (aside from the rare special items) I looked forward to.

Only for those who either are super rich and open hundreds of chests or who just play one character they never change the looks of, it wasn't a great drop. For everyone else, it was great. But I guess the squeaky wheel gets the grease because of a handful of people loudly complaining.Do you honestly believe this change was made because some people complained they got too many of them?

No. You literally declare the real reason in the first paragraph. People desired them and Anet weighed random drops vs purchase for gems only which either drain the economy (less gold->gems) or force people to buy gems for cash.

Its as simple as that. Anet did it for money.

shocked pikachu face

I dont really blame them though. I consider the kits a luxuary and paying 150ish gold or whatever it is for it is fine.