Holo with rifle has 21k damage in 3 hits

MarkBecks.6453

I was in SM in a fight to cap when I got hit by a Holo for 5k damage (blunderbuss), then steam vent for 9k, then jump shot for 6k. I was insta downed of course, and this is diabolical, especially after the balance patch. I was on a Mesmer, and have a fair amount of health as I don't run zerker stats, but this is the first time I have ever been hit for so much damage by 1 player. I was unfortunately unable to get to much information, as I had a crisis with geyser bursting at home, in the middle of trying to assess from the damage report, and trying to focus who did this. I had to log out and take some emergency action at home, so lost the report.I would like to know how this much damage can be gained from 1 player, as it listed him as diamond something, so he's not new to the game, is this normal damage? I have never been able to put out that damage on any of my charrs in 7 years, so if anyone can explain, it would be appreciated. Also would this be an exploit if he is in holo mode, and if so, it needs serious attention

Quite some classes have "1 hit KO try skills", warrior rifle, ranger with maul all do similiar damage.

Just stack 250% crit and select a target with lower armor and has some vulnerability.

Working as intended, gw2 needs powercreep effect in some gimmicks to please lower skilled players and casuals.

You were already in a fight, so it was an opportune moment for the holo to setup that kind of burst as well when you are distracted - other classes can setup for moments like this to burst as well, but also need to have the gear/sigil/runes/boons etc. They just caught you at the right moment.

@Optimator.3589 said:There are plenty of classesTo fully elaborate on that... all of them.

The rifle is pretty meh, very slow and predictable attacks. For it to do that kind of damage he has to be a glass cannon, most likely a bog standard meta marauder/zerker mix. That this would be the first time OP has been hit for that kind of damage sounds more like trolling than anything else. I've been hit for that kind of damage by mesmers while in full trailblazer bunker setup on scrapper prepatch.

A few weeks back my glass necro was one shot by a 24k memeflame. Couldn't spot the warrior as we were in a large group fight. I got picked right out of my own group.These things happen. Its weird that compared to pre-HoT there are builds that are substantially too tanky and other builds that are substantially too bursty. I kind of wish toughness wasn't a stat and everyone just started with 10-15k more HP.

~ Kovu

Really? Because at 3.2k Armor and 21k HP I get two shotted from Revenant's "Drop the Hammer" that usually hits for 11.5k and "Phase Smash" / "Coalescence of Ruin" for 11.2k. Same high damage numbers from Warriors, Rangers, Elementalist AoE for 8.2k -11k, which is stupid. So yes, a lot of professions in WvWvW two shot players. I'm actually shocked to even hear this from Engineers, but I play Flamethrower, so those numbers don't work well since condition damage is complete trash. Is it stupid damage, duh. Will they nerf Power, and Ferocity? No.

@"Aeolus.3615" said:Quite some classes have "1 hit KO try skills", warrior rifle, ranger with maul all do similiar damage.

Just stack 250% crit and select a target with lower armor and has some vulnerability.

Working as intended, gw2 needs powercreep effect in some gimmicks to please lower skilled players and casuals.

+1

It Never Ends

@Burnfall.9573 said:

@"Aeolus.3615" said:Quite some classes have "1 hit KO try skills", warrior rifle, ranger with maul all do similiar damage.

+1

It Never EndsEspecially since people in general frown upon sustain/bunker builds as crutches for the "unskilled" and being carried by build, while glass cannon is how "skilled" players fight as they will always recommend more berserker when you learn how to use your class.

So the circlejerk arguments indeed never ends.

Okay I have to admit I am very curious how he landed 9k with steam vent but only 5k with rifle 3 and 6k with rifle 5? Steam vent has lower base damage and lower scaling. It must have been a critical with 25 might, damage boons, etc. while the other two were only base hits?

Aside from that, getting hit 3 times without dodging is punishing^^

The funny thing is when people were talking about stuff like this in the sic'em SB threads it kept being dismissed.

Did anyone believe the nerf of that meme was going to cause those players to graduate to playing something with a skill floor? :p :p :p

@Dawdler.8521 said:

+1

It Never EndsEspecially since people in general frown upon sustain/bunker builds as crutches for the "unskilled" and being carried by build, while glass cannon is how "skilled" players fight as they will always recommend more berserker when you learn how to use your class.

So the kitten arguments indeed never ends.

Yeah pretty much this.

Alot of overlap in those who complained during the bunker meta and those who complain in the one shot kill meta that resulted from complaining about the bunker meta.

I’m just deleting what I wrote because it doesn’t make much sense. If you mean Vent Exhaust (and not Steam Vent), then I have no idea how it could hit that high. It isn’t able to critically hit players. Are you sure about the damage and skills you were hit with?

As I mentioned, I was instantly downed, so that means no dodge or roll, or you cant learn that. After I was downed I looked at the damage report to see what happened as this was definitely a first for me, and that's when I saw those figures from the same person. I don't understand why its called balance patches, in real time, no simulation can match the reality of what happened, and if we have a balance patch every few months, is it because people find ways to circumvent what the charr is supposed to do, or use an exploit that someone discovers? Just a thought. The only reason I am on that Charr is because I played Scrapper extensively and its broken. Thanks for the replies, doesn't really explain the damage, so I am guessing exploit, hack, either way, I guess its pretty pointless to post, was just hoping someone that plays Holo could explain the process so I can understand it little clearer, but peace out, time to hang up the sword, and go do real life.

Yeah I have no idea why my medium base health and light armor class got smacked 9k (unprecedented) by a holo that is on full zerk with 25 might stacks plus SM fight( people in a zerg tend to share insane might, fury and other base dmg, precision buffs: Assassin's Presence, Empower Allies, Spotter) so definitely that holo exploited. I have 500 IQ so dont even question it, every class in gw2 is broken guys, please just strip everything down to the very basic fist fight where who could score the first strike would win the fight also remove dodge, I should do balance and class design dev cuz I obviously knew everything about this game and that holo exploited 100%.