Thief, rev, or holo for learning fractals?

Hello!I've mained Holo for a long time but with the recent nerfs, I fear it may be underwhelming DPS wise. I would like to learn fractals but before I dump a ton of gold into gearing up a character I can't find groups with, I'd like some advice.A couple other classes I like are Rev and Thief, I know both have some meta DPS builds (and Holo used to). I was wondering which of the three would be better in regards to:

1. How easy it is to learn and play decently as a beginner in fractals and
  2. How easy it is to find groups with

Thanks very much for any advice

When you're starting out in Fractals, I'd recommend 1) playing something that's not especially squishy and 2) playing something you're already experienced on. To that end, I think you should stick with your holo. There are definitely builds out there to keep your dps high enough, you just may need to adapt to the heat changes. Check out snowcrows.com for raid style builds that can easily be adjusted to work for fractals.

@Aaron Forestman.4758 said:When you're starting out in Fractals, I'd recommend 1) playing something that's not especially squishy andThe first is relative for the player: in theory, thief & guardian can be very squishy. In expert hands, they often seem invulnerable to others. Hopefully, @"Tolkien Nerd.8639" you know what constitutes "squishy" for you and can decide accordingly.

2) playing something you're already experienced on.This is by far & away the most important consideration. You want a build that you can play in your sleep, because your focus needs to be on learning the mechanics.

My static accepts PUGs with just about any DPS and just about anyone willing to admit they are still learning their footwork.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:This is by far & away the most important consideration. You want a build that you can play in your sleep, because your focus needs to be on learning the mechanics.

My static accepts PUGs with just about any DPS and just about anyone willing to admit they are still learning their footwork.

Thanks very much for the advice! Seems from what you guys are saying playing something you're comfortable and familiar with as a beginner is more important than the finding the build with the best DPS. I really appreciate it! Looks like I might be gearing up my Holo after all :)

Well firstly, if you are talking about "beginner" in Fractals, we're talking about T1, in which case, anything goes. LB Rangers, MM Core Necros, I've seen it all. If you've "mained" Holo, you might as well keep playing it, as at least you will be familiar with your profession so you can focus on learning the fight mechanics and the maps. Holo also is pretty good with self sustain, has great CC and burst, so to me that sounds like a great package. You also have the advantage of only needing 1 ascended weapon as you progress into higher tiers and need more and more Agony Resistance.

Revenant is fine for T1, but by the time you hit T4 you're looking at playing it as a support build (Alacrity Renegade) as pretty much all DPS roles for Rev are lackluster. Daredevil Staff is perfectly fine up to T4s, but until you know the mechanics and maps well, you run the risk of dodging off of the things / into things that you shouldn't.

So yeah, my advice would be to take Holo, which imo, is still perfectly viable in T4s.

Alternatively I could also recommend Scourge. It has a very forgiving rotation, is pretty sturdy, and can provide a lot of utility to the group by tweaking your traits, be it barrier, condi cleanse, might, etc. In the past I've seen people deride Scourge for T4s, but I don't know why, they do just fine in your average pug group.

@"Turkeyspit.3965" said:Well firstly, if you are talking about "beginner" in Fractals, we're talking about T1, in which case, anything goes. LB Rangers, MM Core Necros, I've seen it all. If you've "mained" Holo, you might as well keep playing it, as at least you will be familiar with your profession so you can focus on learning the fight mechanics and the maps. Holo also is pretty good with self sustain, has great CC and burst, so to me that sounds like a great package. You also have the advantage of only needing 1 ascended weapon as you progress into higher tiers and need more and more Agony Resistance.

Alternatively I could also recommend Scourge. It has a very forgiving rotation, is pretty sturdy, and can provide a lot of utility to the group by tweaking your traits, be it barrier, condi cleanse, might, etc. In the past I've seen people deride Scourge for T4s, but I don't know why, they do just fine in your average pug group.

Thanks very much for the advice! And thanks for the details on the other professions as well. Glad to hear Holo is still accepted in high end fractals and nice to know they have a lot of utility! Hadn't thought too much about acended weapons but thats a plus for sure, I guess most other professions need two sets. Only needing one weapon is nice as ascended gear is hard for me to come by at this point.I have thought a bit about scourge, I haven't played Necro nearly as much as I played engi but what I have played I've enjoyed. Maybe I'll try it out as well :) thanks again!