Real quick question about the sales this month.

@"Zuldari.3940" said:Will the bag slot, bank tab, storage expander and character slot be part of the anniversary sale? Depending on the price i may buy a bunch, also can you gift those items?

Without me getting on the game, if you open the BLTC and mouse over any item, top right corner, if there is a Gift Icon there you can gift that item.

Edit: Wiki article- https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Gem_Store/Gifting

Bank tabs are unlikely to go on sale because there was a sale on them not long ago. The others are possibilities, but storage expanders and character slots are likely to be towards the end of the month.

Those are the kind of things Anet knows some people will always buy when they're on sale, so they typically leave them until later when the gold to gems price has increased and people are more likely to have used up saved gems and so might pass up less appealing items but will convert gold at a higher rate or buy gems with real money for a 'must have' item.

There are no guarantees however. I remember one year I decided to buy a bank tab when they went on sale in August and ended up waiting until January for it to happen.

@Zuldari.3940 said:What determines the exchange rate?

It's based on the number of people exchanging each way - if more people turn their gold into gems then the cost of doing that goes up as the supply of gems goes down. If more people turn their gems into gold then the cost of doing that goes up, but the cost to convert gold goes down. Usually the two balance each other out - if enough people exchange one way then the people likely to do the other will see it as a good opportunity, convert more and cancel out the increase, but sometimes other factors can overtake that.

The anniversary sale is probably the most common - lots of exciting stuff in the gem store, so people who buy gems with real money are likely to use them for direct purchases and people who convert gold will buy more gems than usual, so the cost to convert gold into gems goes up. Events which quickly shift it the other way are rarer - for example when PoF was released and players found out about the griffon the exchange rate changed rapidly because a lot of people were converting gems into gold to pay the 250g for the griffon.