Chat supression

Nury.3062

@"Nury.3062" said:Has anything changed recently in the chat restrictions? I can barely use map chat or whisper because i am supressed most of the times.

It hasn't changed recently, no. Once the game decides to suppress you, each time you attempt to use the same chat channel, the time out is increased.

Generally, the trick to avoiding suppression is to change up your phrasing. For example, during organized Boss Blitz, commanders' main job is to call out percentage health.e.g. "Hablion 90%" → "Hablion 80%" → "Hablion 70%" → "Hablion 60%" → suppressed.So instead, try"Hablion 90%" → "80% on Mantle" → "teleport dude 70%" → "Habsy Wabsy 60%" → no suppression.

Something like that will do for most situations. For others (notably RIBA and Dry Top metas), sometimes it helps to set up some lieutenants and trade off.

to my knowledge, game supresses you when you either talk too much too quickly, or say the same thing with very little variation (changing one letter wont help) in a relatively short time period.

solution already up- you may only be noticing it now because outside of boss blitz health calls, only a minority of people who are committed to commanding specific events ever get supressed in normal use of the game and rarely for anyone else.

I don't know if it's ever been confirmed but I've heard claims that total activity in the same channel can affect how quickly you're supressed too. If you're the only one talking then you'll get supressed faster than if there's a lot of activity. I don't think that would affect whispers though, since only 2 people can be involved in a whisper. I'm surprised there's any suppression on whispering, other than the restrictions on free accounts. (And the OP obviously isn't on a free account because they can't post on this forum either.)

But the specifics are deliberately kept secret so players can't find ways around them as easily. If you get supressed there's not a lot you can do, except trying to avoid that channel or changing maps for a bit.

haha, I got chat suppression by /w messaging myself the weapon codes from the new festival. That's how intrusive it is. I do not remember it was such a few months ago when I did the same with armor codes and this time it was only 3 or 4 codes one after another.

Yeah, I know, sometimes I want to preview fashion while being outside in a world, not just in LA near the NPC.

@"Nury.3062" said:Thank you for telling me how it works, but I've been playing for almost 7 years and I haven't changed anything when it comes to the chat. It does seem different than before.

Oh it's changed several time in 7 years. If I recall correctly, there weren't any chat suppression features on launch and people were inundated with whispers and /map chat from real money traders. There were tons of complaints. They've incrementally adjusted the algorithm over time, sometimes telling us and sometimes not, and mostly by increasing the sensitivity.

Your original question was, "Has anything changed recently in the chat restrictions?" And there's no evidence of that. The existing algorithm has always included /map, /say, and /whisper. And it's presumably included some sort of heuristics that cause it to vary in the speed of suppression. All of us who use /map to communicate game mechanics have encountered it at least once and those who do so often can attest that near-identical series of comments sometimes get suppressed and sometimes not.

Put another way, since it's been implemented in its current forum, I've never encountered suppression when varying up the comments and I've only sometimes been suppressed when I haven't. There's some evidence that repeat postings can extend the time out in duration and channels (usually /map suppression doesn't affect /say, unless the same thing gets posted). However, I haven't seen anyone post any sort of controlled experiment where they attempted to measure it in detail.

tl;dr the effects of suppression aren't consistent, which can lead any of us to believe the mechanics have changed.

@Mikali.9651 said:haha, I got chat suppression by /w messaging myself the weapon codes from the new festival. That's how intrusive it is. I do not remember it was such a few months ago when I did the same with armor codes and this time it was only 3 or 4 codes one after another.

Yeah, I know, sometimes I want to preview fashion while being outside in a world, not just in LA near the NPC.

I've had that happen to me years ago, so it's not new. I just always change channels after 3, now.

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

@Mikali.9651 said:haha, I got chat suppression by /w messaging myself the weapon codes from the new festival. That's how intrusive it is. I do not remember it was such a few months ago when I did the same with armor codes and this time it was only 3 or 4 codes one after another.

I've had that happen to me years ago, so it's not new. I just always change channels after 3, now.

Alternatively if you have a private guild, or simply a guild where no one else is online, you can put the messages in guild chat instead and then you're less likely to be supressed. That's what I usually do (because I forget that you can whisper yourself), I send them to my private guild which only has my 2 accounts and my husband's as members. No one but me sees it but as far as the game is concerned I'm messaging a whole guild.

I always struggle with chat suppression, presumably bc I end like 90% of my sentences with ellipses. It did seem to be a lot worse this weekend, but I thought I must have just been calling out more, not that the filter had changed. Idk though, could be either one . . .

WhoaI do that, too, but hadn't managed to suppress myself. That's... wild that it would include whispers to yourself in its checks.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@crepuscular.9047 said:feels bad being the commander, yelling instructions too much in chat cos ppl refuses to go on discord or teamspeak, the system shuts you up :lol:

Yeah, I don't like that either. I wish ANet could find a happier medium.

Maybe they could make it so people with an active commander tag are less likely to be supressed when talking in map chat?

I believe it was originally implemented mainly to deal with gold sellers and I can't imagine they'd want to spend 300g on a throw-away account (since the ones who spam chat are the most likely to be reported and banned) to be able to spam one channel slightly more often.

If possible maybe they could add additional parameters - like you're supressed less if you have a commander tag turned on and you're in range of an active event and you have at least 1 person in your squad?