Adding 2v2 is a Bad decision unless they announce they won't be making balance decisions on this

The smaller the pvp scale the harder it is to Balance when the game uses a unique distinguishable class system.

This why nobody balances around 1v1.So adding 2v2 will just bring more cries of unbalanced pvp. Small scale pvp is usually left for fun side stuff like dueling, not competitive game progression. It's too unbalanced to be made competitive.

Anet need to announce that they won't be balancing the classes around this new game mode. Otherwise this will be the final nail in the coffin for SPvP and class build uniqueness in general.

@Knighthonor.4061 said:The smaller the pvp scale the harder it is to Balance when the game uses a unique distinguishable class system.

This why nobody balances around 1v1.So adding 2v2 will just bring more cries of unbalanced pvp. Small scale pvp is usually left for fun side stuff like dueling, not competitive game progression. It's too unbalanced to be made competitive.

Anet need to announce that they won't be balancing the classes around this new game mode. Otherwise this will be the final nail in the coffin for SPvP and class build uniqueness in general.

2v2 is like, conquest balance bro. Unnecessary worry thread imo, with all due respect.

More 2v2s happen in conquest games than 1v1s or 3v3s or 4v4s and 5v5s. Game is already essentially balanced around 2v2. Clearly demonstrated through the use of traditional combos such as: FB/Scourge - Thief/Mesmer - Holo/Herald

@Trevor Boyer.6524 said:

@Knighthonor.4061 said:The smaller the pvp scale the harder it is to Balance when the game uses a unique distinguishable class system.

2v2 is like, conquest balance bro. Unnecessary worry thread imo, with all due respect.

More 2v2s happen in conquest games than 1v1s or 3v3s or 4v4s and 5v5s. Game is already essentially balanced around 2v2. Clearly demonstrated through the use of traditional combos such as: FB/Scourge - Thief/Mesmer - Holo/Herald

But is 5v5 Balanced as is? not at all which proves my point. 2v2 is even more unbalanced.

@Knighthonor.4061 said:

But is 5v5 Balanced as is? not at all which proves my point. 2v2 is even more unbalanced.

I feel like you're trying to be "that philosophical guy, throwing philosophical metaphysical arguments, for the sake of philosophical arguments" with no real factual supporting statements.

Look man, I see it like this:

• The game is never going to be perfectly balanced for 5v5 conquest. Never has, never will be.
  • 2v2 situations are actually a lot more balanced than 5v5 conquest, for several reasons. A lot of people would argue against this, but this is my opinion:

Releasing 2v2 arena ques would be the best way to breath life back into this game mode, due to the intrinsic balance that the 2v2 deathmatch style provides. In 5v5 conquest games, we have to run these very specific build structures to be effective, because we are worried about performing "job roles" and rotations and what other classes/builds are in the enemy team, ect. ect. In 2v2s where nodes & rotations & conquest job roles aren't an objective, we get to focus only on winning in combat vs. the 2 opponents. This actually allows a great deal more access to being able to utilize class options for viable competitive purposes, that are normally viewed as not viable at all in conquest play.

Coming from a Ranger main perspective, I can tell you that there are MANY Ranger/Druid/Soulbeast builds & options that are excellent in 1v1 or 2v2 situations that only require combat focus. Those builds however, are terrible in 5v5 conquest, usually due to low levels of mobility and/or not enough disengage power when being chased by 3+ players. Almost every single option in every Ranger specialization is a viable choice in a build structure, when you're sizing up the opponent's duo combo, and trying to form a build to counter them. This is a big part of 2v2s, changing your build and your partner's build to counter engage the opponents. In conquest, it's very risky to try and run customized builds like this because although your custom build may be good to engage 1 or 2 players on the opponent team, it'll probably fail hard against the other 3 players running meta. in 2v2s however, any class being ran by a knowledgeable player, is capable of shaping itself into something strange and not so predictable, using weird options, that are being selected specifically for that 2v2. <- This is just way more versatile & dynamic gameplay man. When it comes to 1v1s and 2v2s for this reason, almost every class is capable of forming a counter build vs. any other class. This is because while doing so, a player is safe so to say, and doesn't need to worry about things like "Well I made a counter build vs. the 2 condi heavy Mirages, but the other 3 players are running power." So you can more precisely narrow down if running a random custom build is safe to do in the 2v2, and get away with a good counter.

This inherent balance & dynamic that lies within the 2v2 deathmatch game mode, is a good thing. This is why the beta AT versions received great feedback. For the first ever and the only time ever in this forum, I saw every single person agree on one single thing: "The 2v2s were good, they worked, and it was fun."

@Trevor Boyer.6524 said:

I feel like you're trying to be "that philosophical guy, throwing philosophical metaphysical arguments, for the sake of philosophical arguments" with no real factual supporting statements.

Look man, I see it like this:
  • The game is never going to be perfectly balanced for 5v5 conquest. Never has, never will be.
  • 2v2 situations are actually a lot more balanced than 5v5 conquest, for several reasons. A lot of people would argue against this, but this is my opinion:

Releasing 2v2 arena ques would be the best way to breath life back into this game mode, due to the intrinsic balance that the 2v2 deathmatch style provides. In 5v5 conquest games, we have to run these very specific build structures to be effective, because we are worried about performing "job roles" and rotations and what other classes/builds are in the enemy team, ect. ect. In 2v2s where nodes & rotations & conquest job roles aren't an objective, we get to focus only on winning in combat vs. the 2 opponents. This actually allows a great deal more access to being able to utilize class options for viable competitive purposes, that are normally viewed as not viable at all in conquest play.

Coming from a Ranger main perspective, I can tell you that there are MANY Ranger/Druid/Soulbeast builds & options that are excellent in 1v1 or 2v2 situations that only require combat focus. Those builds however, are terrible in 5v5 conquest, usually due to low levels of mobility and/or not enough disengage power when being chased by 3+ players. Almost every single option in every Ranger specialization is a viable choice in a build structure, when you're sizing up the opponent's duo combo, and trying to form a build to counter them. This is a big part of 2v2s, changing your build and your partner's build to counter engage the opponents. In conquest, it's very risky to try and run customized builds like this because although your custom build may be good to engage 1 or 2 players on the opponent team, it'll probably fail hard against the other 3 players running meta. in 2v2s however, any class being ran by a knowledgeable player, is capable of shaping itself into something strange and not so predictable, using weird options, that are being selected specifically for that 2v2. <- This is just way more versatile & dynamic gameplay man. When it comes to 1v1s and 2v2s for this reason, almost every class is capable of forming a counter build vs. any other class. This is because while doing so, a player is safe so to say, and doesn't need to worry about things like "Well I made a counter build vs. the 2 condi heavy Mirages, but the other 3 players are running power." So you can more precisely narrow down if running a random custom build is safe to do in the 2v2, and get away with a good counter.

This inherent balance & dynamic that lies within the 2v2 deathmatch game mode, is a good thing. This is why the beta AT versions received great feedback. For the first ever and the only time ever in this forum, I saw every single person agree on one single thing: "The 2v2s were good, they worked, and it was fun."

ok ok thats why I said nvm. I dont care what they do. its their game.

i just want to add my opinion that a dedicated deathmatch queue is what i am waiting for to get me back into pvp instead of me roaming and dueling in WvW.the 2v2 event was awesome and i'd love to have a proper queue for it with rewards (maybe less rewards than spvp conquest at first).tweaking can happen through the denial of too tanky amulets, reduction of healing effectiveness over time and timed orbs that allow stealth tracking to some degree. even if it is still all quite unbalanced. it's the nature of mmo's anyway and it never bothered me to play something unviable.just anything outside private lobbies. i assume i am not alone with this.

Smaller scale pvp has its pros and cons. I personally dont believe that make a 2vw or 3v3 gamemode and stsrted balancing pvp around it would kill the scene simply because 2v2s and 3v3s are far more accesible and tested in multiple and mmos, plus new to this game therefore more exciting. Conquest has been the same for 7 years and for many it has grown stale.