WvW player and guild reductions?

JamesMac.1965

I am not one to post in here, as evidenced by the lack of any posts in the years that I have played Guild Wars 2, but as I have watched over the past 5 years I have seen a lot of changes to the game and to WvW. My primary guild (I have a second guild that I created to learn the guild system, and not used since then. Membership of 1.) has been around since the beginning and was a major PvP/WvW guild. WvW used to be full and the number of servers to carry the load was more extensive. Now, of the 3 founding members of the guild I am in, only one remains, somewhat. He plays an average of 2 to 3 days a month. Of the rest of the guild, level 69 and for years always at max member count, I am lucky to see one other member than myself online each week, if that.The reasons given for the hundreds of members that we have lost come down to 3 issues:

1. Class balance in WvW no longer exists, making either their favorite characters near useless or completely useless.
  2. Massive "zergs" are the only way to survive in WvW, ruling out player skill.
  3. Adding a pet to WvW has shifted the need for some classes or made support classes nearly useless.

For me, I enjoy all aspects of the game, and while I do okay in WvW, our guild is all but completely dead due to the changes to WvW that from an analytical point of view fail to meet the standards of a balanced game. Sad when I know the efforts that ncsoft used to go to in order to keep their MMO's balanced and fun. After all, losing players because they are unhappy means that they lose money as well.But to bring out just how significant this is, the guild I belong to was very close, to the point of being family and gathering together each year from all around the globe to spend time together in person, not just in Guild Wars 2. That closeness still remains, for the most part, but now it exists outside of Guild Wars 2 instead of being both online and in the real world. And it is not because they are bored with the game, but rather very frustrated with the continued degradation of a major aspect of the game itself. Specifically WvW, and the balance of it. Only the more simple minded prefer a mob mentality based environment. The remaining people of the world, some estimated to be in excess of 82%, prefer an environment where they have the ability to stand out and shine apart from the crowd. WvW lacks that these days. Sure, I can go into WvW solo or as part of a 2 or 3 person hit squad to go take camps and outposts, while doing our best to dodge the zergs that roam the maps farming bags, but the true teamwork and ability to "shine" is gone from WvW these days.

I've taken the time to do some research, talk to actual players, and outside the "zerg" guilds the rest seem to be fading away from WvW. Sad, and while ANET keeps the numbers to themselves, it really isn't that hard to get a good feeling of active players now vs the past 5 years. (Note that I count "active player" as an individual who logs in at least twice a week for a total of more than 5 hours. That is pretty low for some MMO's, so I am giving a lot of room here for estimating active player populations. It very well could be much lower than what I allowed for in GW2.)

wvw is a social game. unfortunately you have to work with someone to get the goal done and you're not fighting npc who has a set rotation of what they do. i know this seems hard, but some players simply need to get good at team work and synergy. choose battles you can win and don't over exert yourself or you'll get tired.

sometimes it's the amount of good players versus bad players that make the game hard for new players. and that's also the reason why many can be beaten by a few who work well together. it does happen, few beats many. the hard part is when the many are experienced too.

the larger problem stems on the issue that good players tend to congregate on one server and thus, can't be beaten in a zerg fight. or knowledgeable players build so many sieges that they cover everything an anything. i.e. my team took more than 2 hours to take sm from a well sieged tc.. they know their stuff, it's hard and we're not at many. we were able to take it eventually when they were distracted.

metabuilds works but ther's a catch to it, not everyone who uses it know why it is so. :) those who do, know that it can be altered to a more specific purpose.

game population is fewer now because of new games and we got old too, and there's no more tournaments. my friends told me how they used to do circling trraining for hours at a time. or siege placement training. those are part of wvw.

we need one tier less for NA and Eu. and probably give us some form of recognizable glory in wvw.