Does purchasing PoF come with HoT?

I've tried searching the forums and ultimately have seen mixed responses so I figured I'd ask here.

I've been playing with a friend of mine who has been using a free/trial account. He is interested in buying and playing more of the game. I have two questions:

1. Does buying an expansion give you the "base" game as well? (ex. more than 2 character slots)

2. Does buying PoF also give you access to HoT content? Or must both expansions be purchased separately for access to things like HoT elite specializations?

Thank you

• Like 1

When you purchase any expansion you get the core game fully unlocked (restrictions lifted about 4 days after purchase) and you indeed get some more character slots, a lvl 80 booster, etc. The PoF expansion does not give you access to the HoT content as this will need you to have the HoT expansion.

Basically its as follow:

• Hot Expansion (Hot maps, raids, guild hall, gliding and access to living world season 3 (keep in mind you have to buy said living world season seperatly in gem store as they are not included*).

• PoF expansion (Pof maps, mounts, access to living world season 4 (keep in mind you have to buy said living world season seperatly in gem store as they are not included*)

• You can purchase these episodes with gold to gems conversion in game and if you logged in during the period of introduction you got it for free so you may have some unlocked already.

When you purchase either expansion you have the option to add another expansion on top as a combo (this is cheaper than purchase them seperatly). It is also very possible that with GW2 anniversary there may be a discount of even up to 50% to get expacs (incl the combo), that is somewhere in August.

Hope this helps you out :)

• Thanks 1

• 3 years later...

I came to this because I know now in 2022 when you guys PoF from Anet it comes with HoT but be careful as it depends on version and where (I was wrong about this. Read correction in Quote from Anet's site below). From Anet it comes together as the version is the latest. But from sites who got keys from Anet previous PoF may NOT come with HoT. ALL expansions come with the CORE game now though (used to not). THIS is why they call the CORE game a free game and the misunderstanding of many free players who think the whole game is free and are confused. Anet has been working on making this easier to understand though and does listen to the player base quite well. They are a huge reason as well as the wonderful player community which this game rocks!

Correction to what I posted:

Q: Is Heart of Thorns included when I buy Path of Fire?

A: Yes. As of August 30th (2022), all purchases of Path of Fire will include the Heart of Thorns expansion as well.

Users who purchased the Path of Fire expansion prior to August 30th will also receive receive Heart of Thorns free of charge when logging into the game. 

I posted this because even though the thread is old, when searching for this information, THIS is the thread that came up.

Edited by Katiekaboom.1980
Corrected information.

5 hours ago, Katiekaboom.1980 said:

I came to this because I know now in 2022 when you guys PoF from Anet it comes with HoT but be careful as it depends on version and where (I was wrong about this. Read correction in Quote from Anet's site below). From Anet it comes together as the version is the latest. But from sites who got keys from Anet previous PoF may NOT come with HoT. ALL expansions come with the CORE game now though (used to not). THIS is why they call the CORE game a free game and the misunderstanding of many free players who think the whole game is free and are confused. Anet has been working on making this easier to understand though and does listen to the player base quite well. They are a huge reason as well as the wonderful player community which this game rocks!

Correction to what I posted:

I posted this because even though the thread is old, when searching for this information, THIS is the thread that came up.

It's not August 30th (2022).  It was August 30th, 2019.  https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Guild_Wars_2:_Path_of_Fire#Purchasing