Make A No Mount Week Event — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Make A No Mount Week Event

kiritsugu emeya.3962kiritsugu emeya.3962 Member ✭✭✭
edited August 7, 2019 in WvW

nothing to say really, just miss the old days where we didnt have mounts, wvw feels so weird now :(

[HCM] -jade quarry | Top 20 pvp
youtube channel: https://goo.gl/LCoZL8

<1

Comments

• nthmetal.9652nthmetal.9652 Member ✭✭✭

No! No mounts - slow dawdling over the maps until you finally reach an objective (which, by the way, fall way faster than they did just a few months back), if you get seperated, you'll get ganked to death with not much of a chance to do something against it.

If you want to do have a no mounts week, additional adjustments need to be made to compensate for the lack of mounts, and I don't think the ends would justify the necessary effort.

"and then we know that we have looked back through the ivory gates into that world of wonder which was ours before we were wise and unhappy"
    -- H. P. Lovecraft - Celephais

edited August 8, 2019

Wow, so much BS in such a little post. Wooow.

What the Warclaw adds in terms of comfort has little to do with things you can compensate for in skills. Either your profession has movement related options available at a spammable rate, or you will be considerably slower without one. Either your build provides a meaningful defense against gankers, or it doesn't. And on top of that: Yes, you can defend against somewhat okay gankers, if you're a good player, even on a non-anti-ganking build, but defending alone against a group of gankers calls for the right build AND really good play, and even then you're probably out of luck if your opponents know what they are doing.

No, what happens is, that you promote elitism and drive away people, who are not willing to conform to those ideals. One week would probably not make much of a difference, but as a general design guideline it only means you'll lose players fast. And then you'll be left with a truly dead game mode. Not a dead game mode, where 50-man-zergs can roll over you on several maps.

"and then we know that we have looked back through the ivory gates into that world of wonder which was ours before we were wise and unhappy"

• Turkeyspit.3965Turkeyspit.3965 Member ✭✭✭✭

There is always EoTM where there are no mounts and no gliding.

• Yeah cause we all miss getting jumped between spawn and keep by that dead eye.

@Cristalyan.5728 said:
    I want to ask you something: If Anet will introduce mounts and gliding in EoTM and keeps the actual reward status and in the same time Anet will remove the mounts from WvW, will you play EoTM exclusively?

Pointless question, since I enjoy playing WvW the way it is. I enjoyed playing it before the warclaw and I enjoy playing it after the warclaw. Some WvW players adapt, others don't.

• Psycoprophet.8107Psycoprophet.8107 Member ✭✭✭✭

@nthmetal.9652 said:
    No! No mounts - slow dawdling over the maps until you finally reach an objective (which, by the way, fall way faster than they did just a few months back), if you get seperated, you'll get ganked to death with not much of a chance to do something against it.

If you want to do have a no mounts week, additional adjustments need to be made to compensate for the lack of mounts, and I don't think the ends would justify the necessary effort.

What changes? That zerglings should get a impenetrable barrier and perma swiftness to insure that in a open world pvp game mode that they dont get engaged in any combat until they reach their destination? Thus totally negating all other playstyles as well as lowering the actual game modes deversity to point that its literally a shallow one dimensional clown fiesta zerg only mode. Sounds about right, no wonder wvw is so desolate other than peak hrs these days lol it's not just the devs that are killing thos type of game mode but the players as well with their my chosen gameplay is the only legit one etc.

@Psycoprophet.8107 said:
    [...] it's not just the devs that are killing thos type of game mode but the players as well with their my chosen gameplay is the only legit one etc.

Indeed. You were talking about yourself, right?

I have seen ganking squads pull me off my mount (and subsequently kill me); of course they need some organization. Chances are I can actually escape them, if they are all on one spot. But I've witnessed them be more intelligent than that.
    Of course, there are some players apparently unwilling to adapt ...

Or wait, are you telling me: If I am without mount I need to team up with other players to be safe? Why is that somehow more acceptable, than gankers and roamers teaming up in a party of 3 or 4 to stop that person on their mount?

No, sorry, I don't see why your point should be more valid than mine.

• SoV.5139SoV.5139 Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 8, 2019

A significant overlap exists in the audience who complains about:
    A: "No skill" high DPS builds hard countering them (OMG 25K one shot kill)
    B: How hard it is to dismount a lone mounted player, from a 10KHP mount.
    Film at 11.

• SoV.5139SoV.5139 Member ✭✭✭

@Strider Pj.2193 said:

@Turkeyspit.3965 said:

@Cristalyan.5728 said:
    I want to ask you something: If Anet will introduce mounts and gliding in EoTM and keeps the actual reward status and in the same time Anet will remove the mounts from WvW, will you play EoTM exclusively?

Pointless question, since I enjoy playing WvW the way it is. I enjoyed playing it before the warclaw and I enjoy playing it after the warclaw. Some WvW players adapt, others don't.

Like the ones who can’t adapt to the Perma Stealth Thieves with portal hiding in keeps?

Or hit a dodge key twice when a ranger uses longbow 2.

edited August 8, 2019

@nthmetal.9652 said:

@Psycoprophet.8107 said:
    [...] it's not just the devs that are killing thos type of game mode but the players as well with their my chosen gameplay is the only legit one etc.

Indeed. You were talking about yourself, right?

I have seen ganking squads pull me off my mount (and subsequently kill me); of course they need some organization. Chances are I can actually escape them, if they are all on one spot. But I've witnessed them be more intelligent than that.
    Of course, there are some players apparently unwilling to adapt ...

Or wait, are you telling me: If I am without mount I need to team up with other players to be safe? Why is that somehow more acceptable, than gankers and roamers teaming up in a party of 3 or 4 to stop that person on their mount?

No, sorry, I don't see why your point should be more valid than mine.

Talking about myself? Lmao what? I'm talking about having all playstyles in wvw being viable as diversity of playstyles and methods of engagements and the risks associated with those are what make a mode like wvw exciting, fun and endlessly re playable. I would also not want anything added to the game mode that hinder or delete any facet of the zergers playstyle as their enjoyment and preferred is just as important to the health of the game mode as it all adds the needed diversity. Before u say roamers hinder zergers en route to their destination that is not the same just as zerger builds and classes are far more efficient in their purpose as aposed to roamers who are usually useless in zerg fights and get rolled over easily. The fact u think that someone complaining that warclaw ruined a playstyle thus lowering diversity translates to the roamer viewing that playstyle as the only viable one just proves my point on zerging superiority complex mentality.

• I'm not going back to having to spam staff #3 all the kitten time! No thank you!

• Strider Pj.2193Strider Pj.2193 Member ✭✭✭✭

@SoV.5139 said:

@Strider Pj.2193 said:

@Turkeyspit.3965 said:

@Cristalyan.5728 said:

Like the ones who can’t adapt to the Perma Stealth Thieves with portal hiding in keeps?

Or hit a dodge key twice when a ranger uses longbow 2.

NOW you’re asking a lot. 🙂

• Oogabooga.3812Oogabooga.3812 Member ✭✭✭

I'd like to see an experimental week where certain hard CCs (push, pull, knockdown, knock back) immediately take people off the mount with the respective effect intact; it would be as if one aimed for the rider. Maybe include a 1 second afterimage of the warclaw continuing on without the rider.

edited August 8, 2019

@Psycoprophet.8107 said:
    Talking about myself? Lmao what? I'm talking about having all playstyles in wvw being viable as diversity of playstyles and methods of engagements and the risks associated with those are what make a mode like wvw exciting, fun and endlessly re playable. I would also not want anything added to the game mode that hinder or delete any facet of the zergers playstyle as their enjoyment and preferred is just as important to the health of the game mode as it all adds the needed diversity. Before u say roamers hinder zergers en route to their destination that is not the same just as zerger builds and classes are far more efficient in their purpose as aposed to roamers who are usually useless in zerg fights and get rolled over easily. The fact u think that someone complaining that warclaw ruined a playstyle thus lowering diversity translates to the roamer viewing that playstyle as the only viable one just proves my point on zerging superiority complex mentality.

Hoenstly, that makes no sense to me at all. Maybe you should try a game mode, that is not so much centered around the idea of large-scale battles if you can't make your roaming build work with the presence of mounts.
    Yes, I am of that opinion. WvW is centered around the idea of large-scale fights. That doesn't mean that there should be no roamers, but it's IMO not the main focus of that game mode. Now, if only there was a game mode centered around the idea of small-scale battles ...

And no, I can't make my zerg build work against roamers. I have to gear differently, I have to switch around traits and stuff. I have to learn a completely different playstyle, and obviously I won't be doing good at that. And when I reach the zerg I somehow have to switch all that stuff back. So yes, I am happy mounts are here, I would not be happy with even an event, where they'd not be available. Because less people force their playstyle on me. I can zerg when I want to zerg and don't have to deal with roamers - unless they are organized. But as that is apparently a lot to ask of roamers, (but it is somehow not too much to ask of zergers in your mindset), I don't have to deal with them. Not because it doesn't work, but rather because it's apparently too much effort.

edited August 8, 2019

@Psycoprophet.8107 said:
    Thus totally negating all other playstyles as well as lowering the actual game modes deversity to point that its literally a shallow one dimensional clown fiesta zerg only mode. Sounds about right, no wonder wvw is so desolate other than peak hrs these days lol it's not just the devs that are killing thos type of game mode but the players as well with their my chosen gameplay is the only legit one etc.

Except it doesn't negate it. There are players who roam, today. The Warclaw has made roaming harder, as I'm told, but it hasn't made it completely impossible because I see players doing it every single time I log in. The same reality existed before the Warclaw was introduced; it wasn't impossible for zerg players to return to tag without getting ganked, it was just harder.

In T1 I face off against roamers almost as often as I do mega blobs. A handful of players from both sides ride at each other, dismount, and fight. Completely the opposite of the tear stained posts you see around here so often.

I fully understand how low skilled roamers are upset, as before they were easily able to pick off full glass zerg players then dart away, but the skilled roamers out there seem to make it work. Guess they adapted.

• People don't like how others are playing so they demand that the game mode change to cater to them. Same old same old.

• Sovereign.1093Sovereign.1093 Member ✭✭✭✭

well no mount gliding pips skirmish tickets in eotm =/

Not Even Coverage is the Only broken thing in WVW.

• @DemonSeed.3528 said:
    companions/followers/pawns that will fight for us or give us buffs and auto clear condi's for us

Excuse you, we have a name and we are called Scrappers.

• DeadlySynz.3471DeadlySynz.3471 Member ✭✭✭✭

So in other words, "ganker's week".

Sure we can add no mount week; but the week should also come with no thieves, mesmers, or ranger's week.

@Strider Pj.2193 said:
    While we are at it, during that same no mounts weekend, since you seem to be convinced that the only people that want it are gankers, we’ll also add damage penalties to any player within 2000 units of another friendly player. Because I’d hate to see the Zergs be able to run over solo’s either.

I like that one. It will also help against ganking teams. The duelists might not like this change as much, as typically there is an audience around the typical duel spots.

• Ben K.6238Ben K.6238 Member ✭✭✭✭

Boring.

Removing downstate for a week made for an interesting change. This would just be going back to something we already had for 6 years, and it wasn't exactly nirvana.

• Excursion.9752Excursion.9752 Member ✭✭✭

They can have this event if they want. But I would sure miss the sound of all the cries of all the roamers/havoc groups/gank squads that I zoom by.

There is a 50% chance you will not agree with me and a 50% chance I will not agree with you

edited August 9, 2019

@Excursion.9752 said:
    They can have this event if they want. But I would sure miss the sound of all the cries of all the roamers/havoc groups/gank squads that I zoom by.

Avoiding or even having the option to avoid all engagements until one chooses to always makes for a great open world pvp environment smh. It a wonder the games own players question the population decline lmao.

• Jayden Reese.9542Jayden Reese.9542 Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 10, 2019

done w ttp

edited August 10, 2019

@Psycoprophet.8107 said:

@Jayden Reese.9542 said:

but people who chose to use classes based on mobility or the playstyle and strengths that they played to got hit considerably by having a mount introduced into the mode.

And why did you chose the class with mobility? Oh so you could engage and win but oh noes if you were losing you would run or reset try again. Of course that was just a strategic retreat and I had to be winning and watch you mobile classes run off and you were fine with that. Engage win or run all day never die. Now every single person can run /avoid and of course that's a problem. Roaming is not gone and WVW has always been more zerg then roam pre mounts. The aspect that is gone and which leads you anput seph and strider now is taking your pvp specced class and picking off players otw to zerg or camping in between smc and their keep or their keep and thier spawn picking off players all day and mobility off when losing. awww. so sad.

Again so closed minded. Those non mobile classes that can now run away have strengths in other areas the mobile classes don't as they are balanced with less mobility to a reason. Those high mobility players are playing and engaging opponents that lend to their strengths and playstyles and because it clashes with urs ur all oh awww poor things which is a really ignorant way to be but no surprise.

done w ttp

@Jayden Reese.9542 said:

@Psycoprophet.8107 said:

@Jayden Reese.9542 said:

but people who chose to use classes based on mobility or the playstyle and strengths that they played to got hit considerably by having a mount introduced into the mode.

And why did you chose the class with mobility? Oh so you could engage and win but oh noes if you were losing you would run or reset try again. Of course that was just a strategic retreat and I had to be winning and watch you mobile classes run off and you were fine with that. Engage win or run all day never die. Now every single person can run /avoid and of course that's a problem. Roaming is not gone and WVW has always been more zerg then roam pre mounts. The aspect that is gone and which leads you anput seph and strider now is taking your pvp specced class and picking off players otw to zerg or camping in between smc and their keep or their keep and thier spawn picking off players all day and mobility off when losing. awww. so sad.

Again so closed minded. Those non mobile classes that can now run away have strengths in other areas the mobile classes don't as they are balanced with less mobility to a reason. Those high mobility players are playing and engaging opponents that lend to their strengths and playstyles and because it clashes with urs ur all oh awww poor things which is a really ignorant way to be but no surprise.

And mounts clash with your preferred play style awww poor thing.

Actually reaper and weaver are my jam so.. I'm just not a cry baby that gets hurt in the feels if I let someone gank me. It's called looking at the game mode as a whole even if it helps my reaper get around faster.

edited August 10, 2019

@Psycoprophet.8107 said:

@Jayden Reese.9542 said:

@Psycoprophet.8107 said:

@Jayden Reese.9542 said:

Actually reaper and weaver are my jam so.. I'm just not a cry baby that gets hurt in the feels if I let someone gank me. It's called looking at the game mode as a whole even if it helps my reaper get around faster.

done w ttp

edited August 9, 2019

I brought the classes up because u implied I disliked the addition of a mount to wvw because it impedes on my ganking playstyle which I personally do not use. I justified my personal dislike for mounts in wvw for its negative effect on others playstyles not my own and how its unhealthy for a mode like wvw. People choose to use zerg classes/builds and should except their shortcomings that accompany them not rally for something to be added to bridge the shortcomings as that devalues classes that don't share those shortcomings but have weaknesses in other areas that some other classes don't. That's what gives a mode diversity and class identity. The difference is roamers or gankers as u call them at least could accept their class/builds sucks in zergs and dont cry it's unfair if one rolls over them lol no point in arguing about a game mode that's in a unsalvageable steady decline which isn't surprising in the least. Lmao people gladly hop off their mount to fight is something rarely said or experienced unless its outnumbered

I just feel like in the long term the loss of the feeling of fear,excitement or the annoyance felt once a player steps outa home camp of being engaged in a situation not favored by their class being replaced by a feeling of safety that the warclaw gives to players although feels great to them now will eventually harm a open world pvp mode in the long run. Maybe I'm crazy though,been called worse.

edited August 10, 2019

@TinkTinkPOOF.9201 said:

@Jayden Reese.9542 said:

@Psycoprophet.8107 said:

@Jayden Reese.9542 said:

They are not the same thing, or even close.

Speccing in mobility to a class to better fill a role while giving up other utility is a trade off. Also, my self, I almost never run unless it's a 5vs1 and even then, sometimes I stick it out, however many people I do fight will, so I need to be able to keep up as well. While the mount has no down sides, it's pure gain in avoiding any fights you don't want to have. It makes ganking easier and those that chase now are even greater in numbers, as one or two will tag me to get me in combat, while another 5-10 will stay on mounts to keep in range and dismount as needed to keep me in combat until I am out of everything and they can 15vs1 me. Being killed by a roamer is not being ganked, being killed by a much larger group who depends on numbers to win the fight is ganking. Ganking defines greater numbers of lower skilled players, not roamers.

The mounts do not save a person from a gank squad, as a gank squad that has ANY skill at all, will be able to dismount one player, what mounts do is allow someone to avoid 1vs1 or roaming combat as it's easy to avoid the burst of a single player on a mount, 5+ players (gank squads) however, not so much unless they are totally face roll. So they do not help people avoid gank squads, but rather gives an advantage to gank squads in that it allows them to chase down even mobility specced roamers.

done w ttp

• Excursion.9752Excursion.9752 Member ✭✭✭

@Psycoprophet.8107 said:

@Excursion.9752 said:

Avoiding or even having the option to avoid all engagements until one chooses to always makes for a great open world pvp environment smh. It a wonder the games own players question the population decline lmao.

Its funny how no one wants to pay respect to the other side of a coin. Just as some would like to fight 1v1 others would not. By anet adding the Warclaw to the game mode it is clear that they wanted players to be able to pick and choose their fights I believe. I see nothing wrong with that. Having a choice is a good thing it helps the right people find each other. If you're having trouble finding the fights you want maybe you're in the minority? Just as it is no fun for you to watch people on Warclaws escape its also about the same amount of fun when a character built for a zerg encounters a roamer.

All that aside it would be fun to have an event like this because then I think more people would then realize how much they really miss and enjoy it.

There is a 50% chance you will not agree with me and a 50% chance I will not agree with you

edited August 10, 2019

done w ttp

edited August 10, 2019

@TinkTinkPOOF.9201 said:

@Jayden Reese.9542 said:
    Of course 1 vs 1 isn't ganking but if you spec single target pvp build de and camp between my keep and spawn and kill mostly zerg spec classes yeah that's ganking, If you catch me at a camp or sentry and we fight over an objective that's roaming. I roam if you pay attention on effing reaper so yeah im not in that zerg killing you. You roll spvp every single person is in PVP spec so yeah go there and you will find out if your skilled or not. But to try and say WvW is the same when not everyone is PVP spec some are spec to be in a group so yeah of course we have an advantage catching that dude otw back to zerg so idk what to tell you. This is objective based more then 1 vs 1 mode. Of course these threads are made by gankers cause they mad mounts took away from that. Again you think being killed by multiple players is ganking I don't. 90 percent of the time one side outnumbers the other very rarely you get that uninterrupted 1v1.

If you don't roll a PvP spec in WvW, that is your choice, WvW is not a anything mode, it is open world PvP where you can do what you want, if you want to 1vs1 that is your choice, if you want to ktrain, that is also your choice. However, those who ktrain should not be given a blanket that protects them from any combat they don't want to be involved in. Running solo means we don't have the protection of a whole zerg, which is a trade off. If you don't want to run a 1vs1 or small scale build, that is also your choice and should face the negatives of that build. People like yourself also act as if a zerg build is just helpless on it's way back to a zerg, however I do just fine on my zerg builds running back to a tag and if there were more than I could take on going back, I would take a less direct route and be just fine. All you want is easy mode that allows you to ktrain when and where you want, and avoid all 1vs1 fights you don't want to take.

More or less what you are saying is anything that kills you is ganking, but anything you chase down is just part of the game. That is a non sequitur if I have ever seen one.

done w ttp

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.