One class per team would make the game

Lighter.5631

I agree 100%. Unfortunately that would require locking classes. When ANET held a vote on this they did not guarantee that it would be one per team, only that classes would be locked. This naturally failed, since people were concerned they'd be stuck in a match of 5 dh v. 5 thieves. I personally think the vote was intended to fail.

At any rate, ANET can point to that vote and say, "But, the community rejected that idea."

It might make the game a lot more fun and fights more varied, but it would also likely make matchmaking take much, much longer.

Still, depending on how long matchmaking would take I think it might be worth the sacrifice. Imagine, never facing off against 3 scourge. Similarly, imagine never getting stuck on a team with three thieves or three burn guards. Nothing more frustrating than loading into a match and finding out that not only are you facing off against 3x of the current meta build but your team is also composed of a bunch of squishy folks with very little cleanse.

But if it took 20 minutes for each match to start because of matchmaking, that's a poor tradeoff. I think those matchmaking times would really be the deciding factor, if it came down to another vote or something.

While it would be healthy ultimately to implement this, it would

A - require class locking (which the community voted against out of paranoia)

B - A substantially higher PvP population. Now matchmaking would be much more limited, as even if you had the same MMR as someone else, if you two were the same class you couldn't be placed on the same team, and no one else queueing with that class could join that match at all

C - It would require better class balance at more skill levels to prevent too many people from bandwagoning onto 1 or 2 classes that were outperforming in lower tiers (because that would make those queues substantially longer than they would have to be, due to so many people being locked out of matches due to class choice)

I don't think there is a big enough player base to enforce that without insane queue times. 2 stacked classes isn't that bad, especially since build diversity is a lot better in PoF imo. I would like an option to easily swap between characters before the match begins that doesn't require character selecting then loading in two maps.

There's no way to stop stacking unless they also completely remove the ability to switch characters at the start of the match. People already abuse it as loophole to matchmaker (which only puts a max 2 of a class together) as I've seen matches versus 3 scourges, where one switched at start after queuing on something else.

Archived