Weird answer by dev on PoF AMA

Ayakaru.6583

Radial Mount menu –“we actually did look into a radial menu. Early in expansion development we explored several options for quick mount-selection, including a radial menu, and we went with the skill-select style menu because it would be the most familiar/friendly way to introduce mount selection. That said, a radial may not be available in the game now, but if there were enough player requests for it”… ????

I dont get this reply. I mean, lots of players have suggested/requested it already, and while a skill button is much more familiar, its far from friendly. Skill buttons arent designed for agile toggling, and more often than not you have to toggle quickly between two mounts, (ex. Races: raptor to skimmer, back to raptor) or while adventuring/exploring and a skill button is too slow for this. Especially since the button is smaller, i have to find my nearly invisible cursor, click on it, click again, while it would be MUCH FASTER if i could just press Q and move my mouse up a bit, or down a bit..Atm, while the game lacks a proper mount button I'm using AltGr+number (1-5 in order of mount acquisition)

I agree with your OP about how weird of a response that is from the dev, especially the comment at the end about "enough" player requests for it. Are thousands and thousands that I've seen asking for this radial menu on here and on reddit not "enough" yet? How many is "enough", or is it about frequency of threads requesting it here and there and not the volume of people in agreement that it would be a good and needed addition?

(edit)I now have poF, but not multiple mounts yet. I suppose I will soon find out a radial not being added yet will be as much of an issue for me as it is for others.(/edit)

@Ayakaru.6583 said:Wow.... why is the first half text so big??!

They changed something in the last day or two that made the font size in the opening post of threads larger than normal, but this huge size is an assault on the eyes and likely not intentional. I'm going to be tweaking my dark theme tonight to fix this so the OP font size is no different than the font size in other comments in threads.

edit:They only increased OP font size by 10%.The reason your first half is giant text is because you activated Header 2 on it in the comment styling options.Edit your comment using the gear in the top right of your post and remove the two pound symbols at the start of your post to remove the Header 2 style from that section of text.You could then highlight that quoted dev text and select the 'Quote' option in the style dropdown instead of Header 2 to place it in a quoted frame.

Just don't get, why people still use the interface for switching their mount. No surprise it's perceived as clunky.

Tip: Bind keys for your mounts, for example I'm using ALT+Q for Raptor, ALT+W for Bunny, ALT+1 for Griffon, and so on. Develop your own system, bind the keys where it's most comfortable for you and never struggle with the mount skills again. Simple.

@Ayakaru.6583 said:Radial Mount menu – we actually did look into a radial menu. Early in expansion development we explored several options for quick mount-selection, including a radial menu, and we went with the skill-select style menu because it would be the most familiar/friendly way to introduce mount selection. That said, a radial may not be available in the game now, but if there were enough player requests for it… ????

I dont get this reply. I mean, lots of players have suggested/requested it already, and while a skill button is much more familiar, its far from friendly. Skill buttons arent designed for agile toggling, and more often than not you have to toggle quickly between two mounts, (ex. Races: raptor to skimmer, back to raptor) or while adventuring/exploring and a skill button is too slow for this. Especially since the button is smaller, i have to find my nearly invisible cursor, click on it, click again, while it would be MUCH FASTER if i could just press Q and move my mouse up a bit, or down a bit..Atm, while the game lacks a proper mount button I'm using AltGr+number (1-5 in order of mount acquisition)

Are people actually mouse-clicking to change mounts?? Bind keys to each one. Jeez.

yea, at the moment I'm using AltGR+1-4 number keys,but for me it would still be faster if I could just press AltGr, and move my mouse a bit to the right to start jumping, or a bit up to start running.But the discussion isn't so much whether or not the radial menu is a good idea, but rather that the dev said there was little support for it yet, despite after the first beta (with mounts) people were immideatly requesting the radial menu, so I find it a weird response.

I would like to see it like this:

You hold a key. While this key is held down, you can scroll through your mounts with the mouse wheel. When you release the key, the mount you scrolled to is selected. If you want to use the already selected mount, just hit the key without scrolling.

That developer response sounds a bit like that notion about why medium armor needs to be coats, which translates to "we could do it, but we invented a reason why we don't. Nobody here remembers the original reason anyway."

@Irreverent.3594 said:Why you even need to use interface for mount? Are you playing with gamepad or somth?I have four mounts on function keys and main mount on mouse button. Insta switch. It's beautiful.

I play on a gamepad and R3 + Dpad up, left, down, right are my Yoshi, Rabbit, Stingray, Wolf Link.R3+ Select/Back for Griffon.

@Voraxas.2391 said:Just don't get, why people still use the interface for switching their mount. No surprise it's perceived as clunky.

Tip: Bind keys for your mounts, for example I'm using ALT+Q for Raptor, ALT+W for Bunny, ALT+1 for Griffon, and so on. Develop your own system, bind the keys where it's most comfortable for you and never struggle with the mount skills again. Simple.

That's what I do too.

I have a 'default' mount button bound to one of the side buttons on my mouse which I use for my current main/favourite mount - usually the raptor, but whichever one I expect to be using most. Then I have a dedicated keybind for each mount. If I want to quickly switch to a specific mount I just use the keybind for that mount. I only use the drop-down (drop-up?) menu for changing which one is my default, which I only do occasionally when I'm changing maps or feel like using a different one for a while.

Also with a keyboard and mouse I think a radial menu would be just as easy/difficult to use as a list. The only advantage I could see in that video is that it's huge and in the middle of the screen, which makes it a bit easier to select quickly, but you'd still have to push the little button beside your skill bar and then move the mouse over to the middle to select one, which could counter any time saved by the bigger menu.

@Danikat.8537 said:but you'd still have to push the little button beside your skill bar and then move the mouse over to the middle to select one, which could counter any time saved by the bigger menu.

You would hold the [mount] button to open the radial menu, then slightly move the mouse in whichever direction to select a mount. Releasing [mount] would select it or clicking would select and mount it. Simply pressing the [mount] button would work as it normally would, just like jumping and gliding. Similarly, ArenaNet could do the same thing with the list by using the mouse wheel when [mount] is held.

For an actual radial implementation:https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/746mar/mount_radial_menu_addon_very_alpha_much_untested/

@Myrdreth.6829 said:I have a Logitech G710+ keyboard and I put my mounts on the keys G1-G4 at the left side. It feels really comfortable to use the mount keys like that.

Similar, G105 with G1-G6 keysbut problem is, when I press them, the pc registers them as F1-F6, so if I say mount 1 and 2 on G1, and G2, then I can't use F1 and F2 for berserker mode and berserker's attack..

@Ayakaru.6583 said:

@Myrdreth.6829 said:I have a Logitech G710+ keyboard and I put my mounts on the keys G1-G4 at the left side. It feels really comfortable to use the mount keys like that.

Similar, G105 with G1-G6 keysbut problem is, when I press them, the pc registers them as F1-F6, so if I say mount 1 and 2 on G1, and G2, then I can't use F1 and F2 for berserker mode and berserker's attack..

I reassigned those keys!

G1 = F5G2 = F6G3 = F7G4 = F8

F1-F3 are my Dragonhunter-Skills, I didn't want to use them for the mounts. But F5-F8 were useless until now so I used them for the mounts and put them on the G-keys :)

@Voraxas.2391 said:Just don't get, why people still use the interface for switching their mount. No surprise it's perceived as clunky.

That's a lot of new keybinds for something that could have a more elegant solution, and if new mounts are ever added to the game it won't remain a viable solution for very long.

@Myrdreth.6829 said:

@Ayakaru.6583 said:

I reassigned those keys!

F1-F3 are my Dragonhunter-Skills, I didn't want to use them for the mounts. But F5-F8 were useless until now so I used them for the mounts and put them on the G-keys :)

But is it possible to turn them into individual keys? And use them as is?Not saying "press g3 to activate f3" but "press g3 as a button of its own"

@Ayakaru.6583 said:

@Myrdreth.6829 said:

@Ayakaru.6583 said:

I reassigned those keys!

But is it possible to turn them into individual keys? And use them as is?Not saying "press g3 to activate f3" but "press g3 as a button of its own"

No, I don't think so. I tried to search for something like that too but wasn't able to find it. If someone else knows if that's possible please tell us :)

Archived