Griffon Mount Can't Fly and can use Player Skills

@Nokomis.5076 said:If you use /bug while being ingame, the devs will not only get your message you type in for them but also the coordinates where this happened. This will make it easier for them to find a possible bug :)

I did that through the menu, didn't know of the /bug shortcut command though. Thank you

Are you using your attack skill while on the Gryphon to initiate your dive or are you using the "Mount Ability 1" (which, as I recall, is bound to V by default)? I have found that using "Mount Ability 1" to dive has resulted in never having this happen whereas using the attack skill has this happen fairly often, especially if I dive too close to the ground but don't actually touch it.

@Llethander.3972 said:Are you using your attack skill while on the Gryphon to initiate your dive or are you using the "Mount Ability 1" (which, as I recall, is bound to V by default)? I have found that using "Mount Ability 1" to dive has resulted in never having this happen whereas using the attack skill has this happen fairly often, especially if I dive too close to the ground but don't actually touch it.

I noticed recently, that if i use the mount ability the bug doesn't seem to happen but if I used the attack skill the bug happens a lot. So, yeah looks like both of our findings were right. The bug is with using the attack skill, skill #1 to dive.

@reapex.8546 said:

@Llethander.3972 said:Are you using your attack skill while on the Gryphon to initiate your dive or are you using the "Mount Ability 1" (which, as I recall, is bound to V by default)? I have found that using "Mount Ability 1" to dive has resulted in never having this happen whereas using the attack skill has this happen fairly often, especially if I dive too close to the ground but don't actually touch it.

I noticed recently, that if i use the mount ability the bug doesn't seem to happen but if I used the attack skill the bug happens a lot. So, yeah looks like both of our findings were right. The bug is with using the attack skill, skill #1 to dive.

This is just my speculation, however, as someone with some software development background this made me recall something they said in the mount week streams about how mount abilities work. Since they are executed client side and then mirrored onto server side it seems as if the server and client disagree on whether you are mounted or not (they said conditionals and such disagreements were a big issue in development).

The swoop is a unique ability in that it doesn't always dismount you, it only dismounts you if you come into contact with a surface that has collision (ie. the ground) which means there are two branches for this ability. It seems as if when the bug happens the client can see you never came into contact with the ground, but when the server eventually disagrees and tells the client about that the result is the bug we see. The cause is likely that that the input from pulling up from a dive arrives on server side with enough delay that as far as it is concerned you hit the ground.

As for why it is more likely when using different binds, that I really can't say, but a wild guess would be that the "Mount Ability 1" input gets sent to the server earlier than when using the 1 skill bind (or the when using the attack skill bind the dismount action has higher priority or something).

Also the Griffon is likewise unique in the sense that it actually has 3 movement abilities one of which doubles as an engage (I am actually curious how the binds work if V, or Mount Ability 1 is bound to Swoop and Mount Ability 2 © to "pull up", then it might actually be that Mount Ability 2 also has a conditional in it because if you disable the option about spacebar conditional input then I assume either Mount Ability 1 or 2 is also the Wing Flap).

@Crise.9401 said:

@reapex.8546 said:

This is just my speculation, however, as someone with some software development background this made me recall something they said in the mount week streams about how mount abilities work. Since they are executed client side and then mirrored onto server side it seems as if the server and client disagree on whether you are mounted or not (they said conditionals and such disagreements were a big issue in development).

The swoop is a unique ability in that it doesn't always dismount you, it only dismounts you
if
you come into contact with a surface that has collision (ie. the ground) which means there are two branches for this ability. It seems as if when the bug happens the client can see you never came into contact with the ground, but when the server eventually disagrees and tells the client about that the result is the bug we see. The cause is likely that that the input from pulling up from a dive arrives on server side with enough delay that as far as it is concerned you hit the ground.

I believe you're partially right, I think the Griffon's hit box thinks i'm still diving to the ground. Eventually, the hit box reaches the ground and the server tells the Griffon, "hey! You're no longer in the air, stop flying!" At that moment, I sink and the Griffon gets locked into the T-pose animation. I notice the mount ability #1, you can use it on the ground and you're not dismounted. Thank you for the information :D

It may be similar to what I see every now and again where I know that someone is gliding but, on my screen, what I see is that person falling and then bouncing back up and then falling and bouncing back up. I've seen on a few occasions Skimmer riders fly off of a ledge with the intent of landing on a ledge on the other side of a gap (Desolation much?) and then, what I see, is that player miss the far side but continue on their forward/down descent path INTO the solid ground before blinking up onto the top of what it had looked like they missed.

It may be a related issue where as far as the server is concerned you have continued on your previous dive trajectory, even though you've actually levelled off, to the point where it thinks you've hit the ground. Then, when it "realizes" you're still in the air enter the glitch. BAM! You're now falling whilst on the Gryphon, spread eagle.

@Nokomis.5076 said:If you use /bug while being ingame, the devs will not only get your message you type in for them but also the coordinates where this happened. This will make it easier for them to find a possible bug :)

Well, that's not true since I have been putting in bug reports for the same errors for five years.

Archived