in twitch.Why are there few people watching Guild Wars 2? - Page 2 — Guild Wars 2 Forums

in twitch.Why are there few people watching Guild Wars 2?

Comments

• knomslayer.9457knomslayer.9457 Member ✭✭✭

@huluobo.7036 said:
    Why are there many people watching Wow?

why wow have more viewers because wow is not free game.. you need money to play wow. so 12 year old kids no money play backseat and watch streamer play wow because they cant play huhu.

Gw2 is free. so most people play the game rather than watch stream.

• Tiviana.2650Tiviana.2650 Member ✭✭✭

Well op its because wow holds competitive tournaments, with big prizes at stake. You have the arena championships , the MDI dungeon internationals, the top spot for worlds first boss defeats. Many of those with large dollar prize pools. There is a lot of competition in wow at the higher end of game play, that makes for people that like pvp/raiding/ dungeons to have something to cheer on.

I have watched the arena tournaments and the commentators and play callers do a fantastic job of calling the play by plays. It fun to watch people good at what they do. I could never play like that, but i like seeing others do it. Watching them counter a setup that would have killed me, or be the first to take down a mythic level boss, or run a perfect mythic dungeon in record time. WoW has a very casual base, and it also has a hard core base, and lots of the people that will never do the high end stuff like to cheer on their favorites that do.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:
    After seeing threads like these, I believe it has to do with the toxicity of the players and I’m not referring to the elitists.

what do you mean? are you trying to say toxicity is the cause of low viewership for gw2? hmm

• Burnfall.9573Burnfall.9573 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Randulf.7614 said:
    GW2 is a visual mess

+1

• Burnfall.9573Burnfall.9573 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 11, 2019

@knomslayer.9457 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:
    After seeing threads like these, I believe it has to do with the toxicity of the players and I’m not referring to the elitists.

what do you mean? are you trying to say toxicity is the cause of low viewership for gw2? hmm

Yes!, Toxicity is the cause and will always be the cause of low viewership for gw2 including Ncsoft financial earning report declines

• SkyShroud.2865SkyShroud.2865 Member ✭✭✭✭

Gw2 just isn't as popular as other titles, the obvious difference is number of streamers.
    Logically, the more populated the game is, the more streamers you have.

Founder & Leader of Equinox Solstice [TIME], a Singapore-Based International PvX Guild
    Henge of Denravi Server
    www.gw2time.com

--

Explanations of WvW Structures & Populations Issues

• Tiviana.2650Tiviana.2650 Member ✭✭✭

@Burnfall.9573 said:

@Randulf.7614 said:
    GW2 is a visual mess

+1

Oh yeah that hit it on point. Its a visual migraine, they seriously need to put in an option to mute spell effects from players. I cant even see the boss aoes because of all the other clusterfark going off on the screen. Its not clean at all. Its why i hate large group fights and raid bosses.

• Zeefa.3915Zeefa.3915 Member ✭✭✭

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

Simply not being interested is toxic? I do watch twitch streams, but not GW2 streams. Im just not interested. Should I go pretend to be interested and watch, even if I actually rather be watching or doing something else?
    Don't get me wrong, it would be wonderful if streamers did alright, for the streamer anyway. Im not against streamers or their streams. But you can't force intrest.

• keenedge.9675keenedge.9675 Member ✭✭✭

Guild Wars 2 is more fun to play than to watch someone play.

Moral Statute Machine: John Spartan, you are fined five credits for repeated violations of the verbal morality statute.

• keenedge.9675keenedge.9675 Member ✭✭✭

@maddoctor.2738 said:
    It's really unfortunate that this so called "welcoming community" can be so toxic and offensive against anything they just don't understand and/or like.

The welcoming people are playing the game and generally avoid forums and 'other' game forums.

Moral Statute Machine: John Spartan, you are fined five credits for repeated violations of the verbal morality statute.

• Pifil.5193Pifil.5193 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@Zeefa.3915 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

Simply not being interested is toxic? I do watch twitch streams, but not GW2 streams. Im just not interested. Should I go pretend to be interested and watch, even if I actually rather be watching or doing something else?
    Don't get me wrong, it would be wonderful if streamers did alright, for the streamer anyway. Im not against streamers or their streams. But you can't force intrest.

There's a difference from being simply not interested and how people have acted on these threads.

There's a heck of an echo chamber on these forums (in just about all forums, really.) It seems to be intensifying. Any dissent and you're jumped on.

• IndigoSundown.5419IndigoSundown.5419 Member ✭✭✭✭
    • Relative lack of audience.
    • Relative lack of playable content that would draw views.
    • The game vomits effects onto the screen, creating a visually unappealing mess. I don't even want to watch it for very long.

Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it. -- Santayana

@keenedge.9675 said:
    Guild Wars 2 is more fun to play than to watch someone play.

but why is world of warcraft have many viewer in twitch? that is op thread question..

• Crab Fear.1624Crab Fear.1624 Member ✭✭✭✭

If we keep investigating this topic, we will discover the main players of GW2 are ....dun dun dun...older adults.

Soon™ ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

@Crab Fear.1624 said:
    If we keep investigating this topic, we will discover the main players of GW2 are ....dun dun dun...older adults.

Yes i am no soup rice by this. I mean surprise ... my wvw commander is 50 year old or something. So is normal if most players are old adults ..

• KryTiKaL.3125KryTiKaL.3125 Member ✭✭✭

@Crab Fear.1624 said:

Where is this "statistic" coming from? There are plenty of adults who play WoW and other MMORPGs...

Keep in mind, Warcraft is a 25 year old franchise, with WoW alone being 15 years old.

@KryTiKaL.3125 said:

@Crab Fear.1624 said:

Where is this "statistic" coming from? There are plenty of adults who play WoW and other MMORPGs...

Keep in mind, Warcraft is a 25 year old franchise, with WoW alone being 15 years old.

Statistic?

More like intuition.

Soon™ ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

@Crab Fear.1624 said:

@KryTiKaL.3125 said:

@Crab Fear.1624 said:

Statistic?

More like intuition.

Well then I'd have to suggest that your intuition is...incorrect.

@KryTiKaL.3125 said:

@Crab Fear.1624 said:

@KryTiKaL.3125 said:

@Crab Fear.1624 said:

Statistic?

More like intuition.

Why?

GW is a going on 15 year old franchise. Even the preteens are goin on 30 now.

Soon™ ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

@Crab Fear.1624 said:

@KryTiKaL.3125 said:

@Crab Fear.1624 said:

@KryTiKaL.3125 said:

@Crab Fear.1624 said:

Statistic?

More like intuition.

Why?

Right...the same with WoW. So how does that make GW2 any different and therefore lend credence to age being a factor?

edited August 12, 2019

@KryTiKaL.3125 said:

@Crab Fear.1624 said:

@KryTiKaL.3125 said:

@Crab Fear.1624 said:

@KryTiKaL.3125 said:

@Crab Fear.1624 said:

Statistic?

More like intuition.

Why?

Right...the same with WoW. So how does that make GW2 any different and therefore lend credence to age being a factor?

Blizzard has more games that can stimulate crossovers.

What makes Guild Wars appealing to younger folks, or really MMOs in general?

(Some MMOs moved to console and have bikini armor, but that's all I can think of)

Soon™ ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

• Ayakaru.6583Ayakaru.6583 Member ✭✭✭✭

Because gw2 is more entertain to play than to watch.
    I doubt even know why game channels are popular in the first. You're waching someone else having fun.
    (Strictly talking about lets play streams. There are people who can amusing videos ABOUT games)

To defeat the dragons, see the good in them.
    Zhaitan reunites lost ones, primordus creates fertile land, mordremoth spreads the green, and jormag..
    ..jormag? Who's that?

@Ayakaru.6583 said:
    I doubt even know why game channels are popular in the first. You're waching someone else having fun.
    (Strictly talking about lets play streams. There are people who can amusing videos ABOUT games)

So world of warcraft is more entertaining to watch than play?

• Jumpin Lumpix.6108Jumpin Lumpix.6108 Member ✭✭✭✭

@snowflurry.9624 said:
    Why would i waste precious game time (and rl time) watching someone else play when i can play for myself? It doesn't make sense. I only watch special (official) streams like the one on 30 august, presenting the new LS season.

This is why the game has no twitch presence. The players don't understand the value of watching twitch or why anyone else would want to do it. This has been the case from my observation for the last 4 years when streaming first got popular.

@Jumpin Lumpix.6108 said:

@snowflurry.9624 said:
    Why would i waste precious game time (and rl time) watching someone else play when i can play for myself? It doesn't make sense. I only watch special (official) streams like the one on 30 august, presenting the new LS season.

This is why the game has no twitch presence. The players don't understand the value of watching twitch or why anyone else would want to do it. This has been the case from my observation for the last 4 years when streaming first got popular.

Okay. Based on my observation. Guild wars 2 is a casual game that majority have casual player base who only plays the game whenever they want. For example they play 5 hours a month. So i dont think those kind of people care about streamer playing the game.

• maddoctor.2738maddoctor.2738 Member ✭✭✭✭

@knomslayer.9457 said:
    Okay. Based on my observation. Guild wars 2 is a casual game that majority have casual player base who only plays the game whenever they want. For example they play 5 hours a month. So i dont think those kind of people care about streamer playing the game.

Fortunately there are lots of players that actually play this game, I wouldn't consider someone that plays 5 hours a month a "player", and keep it alive. If all (or even most) of the players thought that way the game would be dead by now. But it's not because there are tons of players that play every day and populate it.

• TwoGhosts.6790TwoGhosts.6790 Member ✭✭✭

Why do people even stream? It's such a peculiar mentality to me.
    Someone used the word narcissistic earlier. That's quite pejorative, but it does seem to describe streaming behaviour pretty well.

• Mortifera.6138Mortifera.6138 Member ✭✭✭

@Khisanth.2948 said:
    Maybe you could try starting off at the right question: why does anyone want to watch someone else play a game?

Player attitudes like this.

• Jumpin Lumpix.6108Jumpin Lumpix.6108 Member ✭✭✭✭

@sigur.9453 said:

@TwoGhosts.6790 said:
    Someone used the word narcissistic earlier. That's quite pejorative, but it does seem to describe streaming behaviour pretty well.

i don´t know, is a

• book author
    • radio host
    • professor
    • musician
    • forum poster
      also automaticly a narcisist for sharing his work/mind/activities/...?

This makes me feel that mmo players are going the way of the dinosaurs. I notice mmo players are usually the first to call out mobile games as not being real games either so, it's not surprising that streaming isnt in their repitore as well.

@TwoGhosts.6790 said:

People enjoy watching other people play games for the same reason why people enjoy watching other people play sports. They like it. Its entertaining.....

• Astralporing.1957Astralporing.1957 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 12, 2019

@Khisanth.2948 said:

@Tukaram.8256 said:

@preacher.9370 said:
    unless you're stuck on something and want a video to see how to do it, why watch other people play when you can just play the game yourself?

Exactly. About the only thing I watch is how to get to a vista that is kicking my butt. Other than that... why is this even a thing?

... and you wouldn't go to a stream for that

That's why youtube channels for GW2 do way better than live streaming.

@Xar.6279 said:
    Every of this game modes were able to bring pretty big audience. We saw it in the past.

When? Where? GW2 twitch numbers were always terrible.

The whole point of a social game is to play with the people you want to play with, not be forced to play with the people you don't.

• Ben K.6238Ben K.6238 Member ✭✭✭✭

@TwoGhosts.6790 said:

It depends on the individual - you can stream just about anything, for any reason. The people who try to make a living out of streaming? Beats me. But I do see the point in watching devs or people I know personally, and I'll watch interviews, announcements and special events. Further from the gaming sphere I also watch Josh Foreman's art stream from time to time, which is more of a streamed studio environment than entertainment - if you're working on your own project at the same time it's good company, but would otherwise be pretty boring.

• Mortifera.6138Mortifera.6138 Member ✭✭✭

Because there are fewer players playing Guild Wars 2 than, say, Fortnite. So the question should be: why are there fewer players playing Guild Wars 2 than X game?

• godofcows.2451godofcows.2451 Member ✭✭✭

@Dawdler.8521 said:
    Alas if GW2 only had a Twitch streaming gamergirl in underwear twisting herself into a pretzel while playing it would probably have been popular.

I humbly suggest that arenanet invest in this

@Mortifera.6138 said:
    Because there are fewer players playing Guild Wars 2 than, say, Fortnite. So the question should be: why are there fewer players playing Guild Wars 2 than X game?

Because different games attract different players. Isn't that obvious?

edited August 12, 2019

@knomslayer.9457 said:

@Ayakaru.6583 said:

Apparently. The people must not like the game very much to rather watch other people play

Zhaitan reunites lost ones, primordus creates fertile land, mordremoth spreads the green, and jormag..
    ..jormag? Who's that?

• ProtoGunner.4953ProtoGunner.4953 Member ✭✭✭✭

I think it just missed the momentum to gain fame. Also there are no super challenging raids like Mythic raids in WoW where you can see 25 ppl failing for one or two weeks and see their progress to finally beat it.

• Ayrilana.1396Ayrilana.1396 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 12, 2019

@Ayakaru.6583 said:

@knomslayer.9457 said:

@Ayakaru.6583 said:

Apparently. The people must not like the game very much to rather watch other people play

Apparently people that watch sports must not like the sport very much if they’d rather watch than play.

Apparently people that watch music performances must not like the music very much if they’d rather watch than play it themselves.

Apparently people that watch TV/movies must not like the their lives very much if they’d rather watch events through imaginary characters than experience them firsthand.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@Ayakaru.6583 said:

@knomslayer.9457 said:

@Ayakaru.6583 said:

Apparently people that watch sports must not like the sport very much if they’d rather watch than play.

Apparently people that watch music performances must not like the music very much if they’d rather watch than play it themselves.

Apparently people that watch TV/movies must not like the their lives very much if they’d rather watch events through imaginary characters than experience them firsthand.

The difference there being that those levels of activities require years of dedicated training.
    I get you'd watch a championship of a game because that's not a playing field the average Joe can access.
    What i don't get is why you'd watch another average Joe play

..jormag? Who's that?

@Ayakaru.6583 said:

I can only assume, because those average Joe's do things that you can't.

• Raknar.4735Raknar.4735 Member ✭✭✭

@Ayakaru.6583 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@Ayakaru.6583 said:

@knomslayer.9457 said:

@Ayakaru.6583 said:

The difference there being that those levels of activities require years of dedicated training.
    I get you'd watch a championship of a game because that's not a playing field the average Joe can access.

Because that "average Joe" is an entertainer. Most of the time i watch a streamer i don't watch because of the gameplay, i watch the stream for the streamer's commentary.

• mtpelion.4562mtpelion.4562 Member ✭✭✭

GW2 targets casual players with both its design and its marketing (and as an adult with a busy life, I truly appreciate that fact).

Casual players are less likely to even know what Twitch or "streaming" is, let alone watch it.

If the bulk of a game's playerbase isn't interested or aware of Twitch, there is a distinct disincentive for anyone to attempt to stream the game.

• Ayrilana.1396Ayrilana.1396 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Ayakaru.6583 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@Ayakaru.6583 said:

@knomslayer.9457 said:

@Ayakaru.6583 said:

No they don’t. Anyone can learn to play an instrument. Anyone can learn to play a sport. Six years olds do it all the time.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@Ayakaru.6583 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@Ayakaru.6583 said:

@knomslayer.9457 said:

@Ayakaru.6583 said:

No they don’t. Anyone can learn to play an instrument. Anyone can learn to play a sport. Six years olds do it all the time.

Let's see them score against Messi, then.
    But in all seriousness. 'Most people' only watch junior or public competitions of a friend, family, or child participates. Or if they're in the sport themselves with the purpose of learning a thing or two.

..jormag? Who's that?

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.