NA WvW is in freefall - Page 6 — Guild Wars 2 Forums

NA WvW is in freefall

12346>

Comments

• I don't see how you can have "11 Million Strong..." Unless that's 10 million 900,000 players in China.....Seriously.....What's the actual physical body count, because that red, orange, yellow and green don't mean squat to me. As actual base server, Jade Quarry was HUGE in population, and I believe they still are. It's just that....there's no North American PRESENCE in WvW anymore.

• XenesisII.1540XenesisII.1540 Member ✭✭✭✭

11 million copies sold in 7 years, not current active accounts.
    They're averaging $15m in their quarterly reports.
    Can take wild guesses at how many are actually active these days.

"Is there pvp stuff for this?" "Absolutely, eh we actually have a new armor set coming soon."
    "From the back of the room!, the one pvp fan! we got him! WoAH!"
    || Stealth is a Terribad Mechanic ||

• shiri.4257shiri.4257 Member ✭✭✭✭

@KeyOrion.9506 said:
    I don't see how you can have "11 Million Strong..." Unless that's 10 million 900,000 players in China.....Seriously.....What's the actual physical body count, because that red, orange, yellow and green don't mean squat to me. As actual base server, Jade Quarry was HUGE in population, and I believe they still are. It's just that....there's no North American PRESENCE in WvW anymore.

we took our talents to china with the golden god. too much QQ in NA.

Spectre [VII] - Wood League Champion. Making "fight guilds" stack on higher tiers since 2013.
    Michelin rated WvW guild since 2015. The gold standard. Never transferred, never reformed, adapting and reloading with or without Anet.

• @knomslayer.9457 said:
    All this players say they quit game. Those people are just burnout. They will come back again trust me i seen it all. give it a month or 2 or 3. They will come back again

Outside of some outliers like warclaw introduction I can't even remember when we had 4 maps queued at reset. Indisputable fact is that even with world linking, wvw pop is lower than it used it be before links became necessary. Maybe some people come back, but most don't.

• Acheron.4731Acheron.4731 Member ✭✭✭

@Visiroth.5914 said:

@knomslayer.9457 said:
    All this players say they quit game. Those people are just burnout. They will come back again trust me i seen it all. give it a month or 2 or 3. They will come back again

Outside of some outliers like warclaw introduction I can't even remember when we had 4 maps queued at reset. Indisputable fact is that even with world linking, wvw pop is lower than it used it be before links became necessary. Maybe some people come back, but most don't.

It is hard to come back once you stop playing. You just feel dirty inside for some reason.
    That is why I think alliances came too late..people that leave rarely come back for long

Dilly Dilly

• @Oogabooga.3812 said:

@Sovereign.1093 said:

@Dinas Dragonbane.2978 said:

@Arctisavange.7261 said:
    Been playing and commanding since launch of the game. Do you think anyone in their right mind give any kitten about PPT and overall, flipping towers/keeps?

WvW is massive PVP aka large scale player vs player. People who care about the game mode are here to fight enemies, not slap gates all day long and call it a GG if they climb a tier.

So then.... was the game more popular when the majority of the wvw community's focus was on ppt, or nowadays when people say it's all about fights?

it was more popular when it mattered - by having tournaments.

Tournaments will never be held again because of match manipulation, burnout from overplay, and poor rewards.

Even now, the lack of reward makes the game mode stale. I understand why they won't make great rewards, but they ought to, since PvE and PVP offer much greater incentives to play.

ANet's given reason for not doing Tournaments is player burnout. That could easily be avoided by having smaller, more intelligently organized Tournaments. For example, A Tournament could consist of seven one-day matches held across seven weeks, Round One on Saturday, Round Two on Sunday etc etc. Or every Saturday or whatever. Or there could be a single week tournament, 7 days. Hard to burn out in a week. Endless possible combinations could be tried. They could vary each time so as to spread any possible burnout.

One person's Match Manipulation is another person's strategic planning. I thought the alliances and team-ups in the Tournaments were one of it's strengths, not one of its problems. This kind of strategic planning, co-operation and potential treachery is inherant in a tripartite competitive format. It should be the norm, not the exception.

As for rewards, harldy anything in GW2 ever gives any rewards worth having so I find that a moot point.

• DeceiverX.8361DeceiverX.8361 Member ✭✭✭✭

A lot of dedicated players moved away from the format/game with the release of mounts.

People can kick and scream about how much they want to ride their cats and the huge surge of people who came into the mode when it launched (due to the free mount skin, not anything relevant to the mode itself), but one of the primary reasons why WvW populations have been in decline has been broken combat dynamics such as the elite specs, and mounts just dialed it to 11.

You sure that Sniper idea is as good as you thought it was gonna be?
    Because I think my original idea is better.
    Quit/Inactive. No, you can't have my stuff.

• Sovereign.1093Sovereign.1093 Member ✭✭✭✭

well there are no tournaments. :/ why should we give effort in pushing upwards? if we can make ppt thru kills, its enough. and if we can't fight, then, time to watch netflix. =p

Not Even Coverage is the Only broken thing in WVW.

• Strider Pj.2193Strider Pj.2193 Member ✭✭✭✭

@C Cspace Cowboy.5903 said:
    Time for the population update.

Nothing to see here..

Move along..

Thank You for the {MEME}

• @Strider Pj.2193 said:

Nothing to see here..

Move along..

Brutal.

ANET and BG love it though. They think they are winning. Lol.

• Strider Pj.2193Strider Pj.2193 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 18, 2019

@Grim West.3194 said:

@Strider Pj.2193 said:

Nothing to see here..

Move along..

Brutal.

ANET and BG love it though. They think they are winning. Lol.

I know we may disagree on this but that level of pop decline isn’t all on BG.

Look at EU as well: they have 5 tiers, so 15 host servers.. they have only 12 non medium servers there as well.

The part I just can’t fathom is that they have (had) a rabid fan base for this mode.... People love the mode. It doesn’t mean people don’t have issues with it, (population balance being a huge one) but even with that.....

Just give us 5% of the love.., we’d be happy..

Thank You for the {MEME}

• XenesisII.1540XenesisII.1540 Member ✭✭✭✭

Dunno what you guys are talking about, the population is finally spreading out, we have 15 servers on even terms now, just need the other 9 to get on board.

"Is there pvp stuff for this?" "Absolutely, eh we actually have a new armor set coming soon."
    "From the back of the room!, the one pvp fan! we got him! WoAH!"
    || Stealth is a Terribad Mechanic ||

• LetoII.3782LetoII.3782 Member ✭✭✭✭

@XenesisII.1540 said:
    Dunno what you guys are talking about, the population is finally spreading out, we have 15 servers on even terms now, just need the other 9 to get on board.

I suppose they're even in a way, body count wise.
    But say, nsp having it's blob logon at 3am while mag and yb both logoff around midnight still makes for an unbalanced match. Less people is exacerbating coverage issues if anything.

[HUNT] the predatory instinct

• Unfortunately I personally think we've passed the tipping point now, it would take something so radical we'd all think it was actual magic to restore the WvW player base. For Anet to deliver on such a change would require apparently massive shifts in mindset and culture. The only events I can think of that would inspire an action so drastic are a new CEO coming in who actually sees the value in WvW or Anet being sold to a company that similarly sees the value in WvW.

Based on their track record there is a vanishingly small chance that Anet will all of a sudden have a eureka moment regarding WvW and do something about it.

It's sad but the likelihood is that even if they invest a ton of effort into alliances and class balance and rewards (and all the other things we've been asking for, in some cases literally screaming for it until blue in the face) it's too late.

A lack of commitment to the game mode, a lack of understanding (of both the game mode and the players that enjoy it) and a general neglect have all led us to this point. In my mind Anet simply do not understand or know how to run a WvW game. If they announced GW3 tomorrow and it was 100% WvW I wouldn't play it, they can't be trusted to develop and run these kind of games. I guess that's ok, everyone should play to their strengths and have a niche they fit in comfortably - for Anet that niche is not PvP or WvW, it's PvE in the format of a living world with episodic updates.

The only thing that has stopped the game mode hemorrhaging players faster (and the only reason that I personally still play at all) is the fact that there's no good alternatives out there (unless you like spaceships). If another good WvW game was available all of the borderlands would be ghost towns 24/7 and not just 22/6.75. There's another game in development (you all know of that which I speak!) and there must be a 1000+ ex-GW2 WvW nerds sitting on their discord server every day 'actively waiting' for that game to come out and there's nothing to play yet! The market is there.

That's what makes this whole fiasco so frustrating - there was a great initial product (pre-HoT WvW was pretty good), there is a really passionate player base just waiting to throw their money at this kind of product, and Anet basically pooped the bed on it. They could have cornered the market and been "the" WvW game for a decade if anyone sat at the decision making table had even half a clue about WvW. It's difficult to say for sure whether that's an accidental ommission because they never had the knowledge and understanding - or if it was a deliberate choice based on metrics we can't see or personal preferences of their execs or what - I'm choosing to believe it was accidental based on ignorance.

I wish they'd have sacrificed just one episode of living story per year, just one episode, and spent that time and money on WvW instead. It wouldn't have taken much, but investing next to nothing at all was always going to kill it.

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.