New Living Story event idea — Guild Wars 2 Forums

New Living Story event idea

sephiroth.4217sephiroth.4217 Member ✭✭✭✭
edited August 12, 2019 in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

New Living Story Event idea: The Mists have collapsed.

PvP/WvW players have broken free from the mists and created a temporary portal to each major city!
Fight back these evil demons and reclaim your city!

Finishers on sale for a limited time only with the new "Gorilla Finisher".

What you guys think? Temporary and restricted open world pvp with a story for limited time only...

Not to brag, but I put together a puzzle in 4 days and the box said 2-4 years.
Please allow team queue with rewards again at our own discretion.
06210311 251521 121512

New Living Story event idea 75 votes

Yes.
12%
sephiroth.4217Opopanax.1803DonArkanio.6419Goettel.4389Knighthonor.4061Astrolicus.3716neoteo.3975lisica.6583Malek.8251 9 votes
No.
88%
Seera.5916WhatLiesBeneath.9018maddoctor.2738Pifil.5193Linken.6345TheGrimm.5624derd.6413Glider.5792Danikat.8537Khailyn.6248Sirius Lemuria Draconis.7864Dante.1763Ashantara.8731DeanBB.4268Inculpatus cedo.9234Wizler.8192Randulf.7614Musaroxy.2874Konig Des Todes.2086Tanner Blackfeather.6509 66 votes

Comments

• Randulf.7614Randulf.7614 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 12, 2019
    No.

As said in yesterday’s thread.

No

But I’m pretty certain people are trolling with these back to back threads that end up with a resounding no every time

What sleep is here? What dreams there are in the unctuous coiling of the snakes mortal shuffling. weapon in my hand. My hand the arcing deathblow at the end of all things. The horror. The horror. I embrace it. . .

• Ototo.3214Ototo.3214 Member ✭✭✭
    No.

No. I'd like to craft and chat in peace.
    The only way I'd be fine with open world PvP is if the person had to agree to a duel or something. But that can be done in the PvP lobby iirc? So it's pointless.

• derd.6413derd.6413 Member ✭✭✭✭
    No.

even in games with open world pvp bringing it inside cities is a bad idea

I Have No friends, so I Must pug

• Naxos.2503Naxos.2503 Member ✭✭✭
    No.

What's with all the "PvP in PvE areas" ideas lately ? I'd have thought those were clearly defined areas for a reason.

If that's a joke, it's kind of overdone as well, someone made that suggestion about making it possible to have open PvP in towns, where the players actually go to Not fight, monsters Or players.

• Strider Pj.2193Strider Pj.2193 Member ✭✭✭✭

Maybe revert everything back to servers...

then a server could only raid into the town from a server that is part of their current mists battles...

with the eventual outcome being alliances and the destruction of actual servers finally....

And then things revert back to normal..

Thank You for the {MEME}

• Dami.5046Dami.5046 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 12, 2019

@Randulf.7614 said:
    for
    No

But I’m pretty certain people are trolling with these back to back threads that end up with a resounding no every time

Well I wasn't trolling in my thread. You are allowed your opinion, and i'm allowed mine. However my idea as I stated is a seperate game away from this one to cater for a market that this game doesn't appeal too, since it's all about vanilla WOW atm.
    I'm not a big fan of OP's post as it doesn't suit this game. MY idea yeah, but how the game is now, no

oh it is a TP.

• PvP/WvW players have broken free from the mists and created a temporary portal to each major city!
    Fight back these evil demons and reclaim your city!

This is an idea for turning PvE areas into PvP areas. It's not going to happen since (a) goes against the themes that brought people to GW2's PvE and (b) it would mean a massive amount of testing to make sure that it worked (not to mention new mechanics for option in|out, for rewards, and even just figuring out how to mechanically make it operational).

New Living Story event idea

Where's the Living World story idea mentioned in the title?

Hype is the path to the dark side. Hype leads to unfulfilled expectations. Disappointment leads to anger. Anger leads to disgust. Disgust leads to "oh, new shinies! I'm back!"

• Danikat.8537Danikat.8537 Member ✭✭✭✭
    No.

Maybe if it was a seperate copy of each map, so it looked like the city and maybe had all the NPCs (who presumably would be fighting against the invaders too) but people who don't want to participate can continue to visit in peace then it would be ok, but presumably not what the OP is looking for since then it would only be people who have chosen to fight for one side or the other in the map, and then it's basically WvW.

Otherwise I don't understand all these calls for PvP in the open world recently. If you want massive battles against enemy players there's WvW, if you want smaller scale fights there's PvP and guild arenas, and nothing says you have to have a full team for either - if you want to duel you can set up a custom arena. There's also a new 2v2 arena coming soon...tomorrow I think. I don't understand the appeal of forcing PvP on people who are not interested, especially in a game where you can't steal items from other players so there's even less benefit to killing unsuspecting victims.

Danielle Aurorel - Desolation EU. Mini Collector.

"I know that I'm born and I know that I'll die, the in-between is mine."

• Dante.1763Dante.1763 Member ✭✭✭✭
    No.

@Dami.5046 said:

@Randulf.7614 said:
    for
    No

Well I wasn't trolling in my thread. You are allowed your opinion, and i'm allowed mine. However my idea as I stated is a seperate game away from this one to cater for a market that this game doesn't appeal too, since it's all about vanilla WOW atm.
    I'm not a big fan of OP's post as it doesn't suit this game. MY idea yeah, but how the game is now, no

oh it is a TP.

I think they where referring to the one where the thread creator basically said "Yall are stupid for not wanting open world PVP, and not having PVP is killing this game."

Amana Silentchild; My Main
    Ember Wandertooth; The Kingslayer, Kianda Redpaw; The Blazing Light
    Why GW is Called Guildwars

• Yes.

Too good to be true

• Poormany.4507Poormany.4507 Member ✭✭✭
    No.

Like I keep posting in the multiple other recent "Open World PVP" threads - Big NO

Most PVE players don't want open world PVP with annoying gankers disrupting their valuable playing time when they want nothing to do with PVP and its toxicity.

• Fenom.9457Fenom.9457 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Pifil.5193 said:
    No combat of any type in the cities please,the last thing I want is to be ganked halfway through crafting 700 linen bolts.

I sympathize but the way you phrased it made me laugh so hard now I want this to happen to see that

HARRY! DIDYA PUT YER NAME IN DA GOBLET OF FIYAH?!

• Dante.1763Dante.1763 Member ✭✭✭✭
    No.

@Fenom.9457 said:

@Pifil.5193 said:
    No combat of any type in the cities please,the last thing I want is to be ganked halfway through crafting 700 linen bolts.

I sympathize but the way you phrased it made me laugh so hard now I want this to happen to see that

Oh my god it would be so frustrating making the 3000+ mithril xD

Amana Silentchild; My Main
    Ember Wandertooth; The Kingslayer, Kianda Redpaw; The Blazing Light
    Why GW is Called Guildwars

• Seera.5916Seera.5916 Member ✭✭✭
    No.

If it was say a level 60+ map and it was like the branded event in the beta and not on a map with a world boss or it ran only during a set time that wouldn't interfere with the world boss and it was advertised via in game mail, then I'd be fine with it.

But not some place where new players may be expected to be. Such as a city or starter zone.

• sephiroth.4217sephiroth.4217 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 13, 2019
    Yes.

@Seera.5916 said:
    If it was say a level 60+ map and it was like the branded event in the beta and not on a map with a world boss or it ran only during a set time that wouldn't interfere with the world boss and it was advertised via in game mail, then I'd be fine with it.

But not some place where new players may be expected to be. Such as a city or starter zone.

I was actually thinking like living season 1.
    You portal into the city that is under siege and fight them back for an hour or 2 then it stops for an hour or 2.

Seige waves sorta thing.

06210311 251521 121512

Yes.

@Fenom.9457 said:

@Pifil.5193 said:

It was fun for Living Story season 1 when LA was under attack...
    Read my comment above this one too as im not making a permanent suggestion or even all cities at once for all day.

06210311 251521 121512

• No.

@sephiroth.4217 said:

@Fenom.9457 said:

@Pifil.5193 said:

Read my comment above this one too as im not making a permanent suggestion or even all cities at once for all day.

Season 1 never had open world PvP.

All these squares make a circle.

edited August 13, 2019
    Yes.

@Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

@sephiroth.4217 said:

@Fenom.9457 said:

@Pifil.5193 said:

I didnt say it did.
    The subject was about dying at a crafting station.

Season 1 all of LA was shut down for the event, city was in ruins and those who wanted to craft something went to one of the other major cities.
    After the event, took 6 months or before LA was rebuilt to what it is now.

Im probably one of the few that thought LS1 was by far the best LS they ever did.

06210311 251521 121512

No.

@sephiroth.4217 said:

@Seera.5916 said:

I was actually thinking like living season 1.
    You portal into the city that is under siege and fight them back for an hour or 2 then it stops for an hour or 2.

Seige waves sorta thing.

I'd still say a level 60+ map is best. That way you avoid having people load into Lion's Arch during that event when they are just coming back from a break. Fewer people will have fewer characters sitting in the affected map.

And you reduce the number of new players getting killed by level 80 players either due to character level differences or player skill level differences.

And you could leave it on all day except for times around a world boss on that map if there was one.

• No.

@sephiroth.4217 said:

@sephiroth.4217 said:

@Fenom.9457 said:

@Pifil.5193 said:

I didnt say it did.

Season 1 all of LA was shut down for the event, city was in ruins and those who wanted to craft something went to one of the other major cities.

Im probably one of the few that thought LS1 was by far the best LS they ever did.

You're comparing apples to oranges here though.

Not only is this a full out PvE event in a PvE area compared to a PvP event in a PvE area, but LA was not a city zone at the time. There were also a ton of complaints about LA being changed. Among which was story progression being an issue; this is likely a big reason for why Arenanet hasn't done something similar since then, even though Divinity's Reach and The Grove both got assaulted in the LW, there was no major changes to the cities.

(Also, crafting stations etc. returned with the Aftermath content, so LA was only "not a city" for 1 month; on top of that, all other services of importance were moved to Vigil Keep, so players never really "lost" the services of a city).

The only comparable event to what you're suggesting would be the branded BWE event. But that was really only feasible to do without issue because it was a beta weekend event, so the only thing people had to do in the area was the beta itself. So even comparing to that is still comparing two vastly different things for even temporary open world PvP.

• kharmin.7683kharmin.7683 Member ✭✭✭✭

Why should the level of the map matter? I'm not a new player and I visit all levels of maps throughout depending on which character I want to play and my mood at the time. I don't want to have to deal with PvP stuff in the PvE maps, regardless of map level.

I am a very casual player.
    Very.
    Casual.

• Ameepa.6793Ameepa.6793 Member ✭✭✭
    No.

Keep PvP out of PvE, thanks.

• Danikat.8537Danikat.8537 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 13, 2019
    No.

@sephiroth.4217 said:

@sephiroth.4217 said:

@Fenom.9457 said:

@Pifil.5193 said:

I didnt say it did.

To do that they effectively made LA an explorable event map (like Dragon's Stand or Silverwastes). All the services were moved to the Vigil Keep and anyone using the asura gates (or other methods) to get to LA was instead re-directed there. Functionally it wasn't a city any more, it was an event map populated only by people going to do the events.

So if they did a PvP version of that it would be a copy of a city map dedicated entirely to fighting other players. The only people who would go in would be ones who had chosen to go there to fight other players in that map. How would that be any different to WvW? (Apart from being a smaller map .)

It would solve the problem of annoying people who just want to craft, use the bank etc. and new players who wouldn't have any idea what was going on. But I don't understand what the appeal would be for PvPers. Aside from the brief novelty of fighting on a different map (something WvW players have historically hated - including complaining about the desert borderlands so much it was changed from a rotation to 1 optional map most of them avoid) I don't see what the benefit of this idea is or why anyone would choose to play PvP in a city map instead of any of the ones which already exist.

Incidentally they have done a PvP focused LW release at least once. When Edge of the Mists was launched it was worked into the story - Taimi and Braham went there and you had to help them rebuild Scruffy by finding parts scattered around (this is when we first found out about Taimi's illness - she explained that she couldn't walk far and Braham couldn't leave her alone, which is why you had to go). So Anet clearly aren't opposed to including PvP in the story, but I think there has to be a reason for it, and especially a reason for building new WvW maps (even using existing maps as the basis for it).

Danielle Aurorel - Desolation EU. Mini Collector.

"I know that I'm born and I know that I'll die, the in-between is mine."

• Goettel.4389Goettel.4389 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Yes.

Open-world PvP, always +1

edited August 13, 2019
    Yes.

@sephiroth.4217 said:

@sephiroth.4217 said:

@Fenom.9457 said:

@Pifil.5193 said:

I didnt say it did.

You're comparing apples to oranges here though.

Not only is this a full out PvE event in a PvE area compared to a PvP event in a PvE area, but LA was not a city zone at the time. There were also a ton of complaints about LA being changed. Among which was story progression being an issue; this is likely a big reason for why Arenanet hasn't done something similar since then, even though Divinity's Reach and The Grove both got assaulted in the LW, there was no major changes to the cities.

(Also, crafting stations etc. returned with the Aftermath content, so LA was only "not a city" for 1 month; on top of that, all other services of importance were moved to Vigil Keep, so players never really "lost" the services of a city).

The only comparable event to what you're suggesting would be the branded BWE event. But that was really only feasible to do without issue because it was a beta weekend event, so the only thing people had to do in the area was the beta itself. So even comparing to that is still comparing two vastly different things for even temporary open world PvP.

Im not comparing anything?
    In your effort to nit pick, you didn't understand the example given from memory or the personal opinion but thats fine, majority are against it anyway 😊.

06210311 251521 121512

No.

@kharmin.7683 said:
    Why should the level of the map matter? I'm not a new player and I visit all levels of maps throughout depending on which character I want to play and my mood at the time. I don't want to have to deal with PvP stuff in the PvE maps, regardless of map level.

Because newer players are less often in Cursed Shore than in Plains of Ashford.

And like I said, it would have to be something that was very well advertised by in game mail. To expand on this: everyone who logs in gets a mail well in advance and periodically beforehand. So that anyone who did not want to do that event can make sure they know to avoid the map during the times the event is live on the map. Dailies are worked to avoid that map and a map without a world boss or temple or dungeon (unless dungeon locked in open state and the area immediately around the dungeon is a no PvP zone - which they can do.

• No.

For the 34.957.628th time We don't want PvP in our PvE world.
    Is that so hard to understand ??????

You guys have tons of islands and tons of game modes. Just stay in your world and we stay in ours.
    And no, you don't have to ever ask again, the answer won't change.

• Linken.6345Linken.6345 Member ✭✭✭✭
    No.

OP why dont you ask for some changes in your pvp maps instead?
    Like asking for a capture the flag instead of 3 point contest maps for example

@Seera.5916 said:
    And like I said, it would have to be something that was very well advertised by in game mail. To expand on this: everyone who logs in gets a mail well in advance and periodically beforehand. So that anyone who did not want to do that event can make sure they know to avoid the map during the times the event is live on the map.

I don't think encouraging player to avoid PvE maps is a good idea. Why should one type of game-play dictate this, especially when PvP already has it's own mode?

Very.
    Casual.

No.

@kharmin.7683 said:

@Seera.5916 said:
    And like I said, it would have to be something that was very well advertised by in game mail. To expand on this: everyone who logs in gets a mail well in advance and periodically beforehand. So that anyone who did not want to do that event can make sure they know to avoid the map during the times the event is live on the map.

I don't think encouraging player to avoid PvE maps is a good idea. Why should one type of game-play dictate this, especially when PvP already has it's own mode?

If it was say like the branded beta event, even PvE players who normally don't Play PvP may join in some. I know I would.

And one weekend on rare occasions is just fine for things like this.

@Seera.5916 said:
    If it was say like the branded beta event, even PvE players who normally don't Play PvP may join in some. I know I would.

The branded events are completely optional, even if one is on the same map. From what I understand, the PvP idea would be open across the map and the only way that PvE'rs would be able to opt out would be to not be on the map. To me, that is not a good stance for the game to have, especially since PvP has their own maps already. If PvE players who don't normally PvP want to do that type of content, there is already an avenue in place for that. I just don't see the benefit to the game to do this, whether or not I personally like it or not.

I would think it would be a lot of developer resources for so little gain if it were limited to a rare weekend. Again, I don't see the benefit to the game.

I'm not intentionally trying to be argumentative, so please don't mis-read. For ANet to implement this type of idea, I would think that they would need to see a significant benefit in order to dedicate the resources. Having something similar to this in Blade & Soul, I can attest from my personal experience that I really don't enjoy being ganked when I'm just trying to play the game. GW2 has areas for both PvE and PvP and, in my opinion, those types of content should not be intermixed.

Very.
    Casual.

No.

@kharmin.7683 said:

@Seera.5916 said:

The branded events are completely optional, even if one is on the same map. From what I understand, the PvP idea would be open across the map and the only way that PvE'rs would be able to opt out would be to not be on the map. To me, that is not a good stance for the game to have, especially since PvP has their own maps already. If PvE players who don't normally PvP want to do that type of content, there is already an avenue in place for that. I just don't see the benefit to the game to do this, whether or not I personally like it or not.

I would think it would be a lot of developer resources for so little gain if it were limited to a rare weekend. Again, I don't see the benefit to the game.

I'm not intentionally trying to be argumentative, so please don't mis-read. For ANet to implement this type of idea, I would think that they would need to see a significant benefit in order to dedicate the resources. Having something similar to this in Blade & Soul, I can attest from my personal experience that I really don't enjoy being ganked when I'm just trying to play the game. GW2 has areas for both PvE and PvP and, in my opinion, those types of content should not be intermixed.

Yea, I put low priority on something like this. Just saying the only way I would support something like this being done. Short period of being active and highly advertised via in game mail for a map with a lower percentage of new players and the least disruption to world bosses and other important PvE aspects. They already have a decent amount of things that push toward WvW which is a mesh of PvE and PvP.

• TheGrimm.5624TheGrimm.5624 Member ✭✭✭✭
    No.

I enjoy both PvP and WvW and have played on open world pvp servers in the past in other games that had it. But no, I don't see it here and wouldn't want to attack someone that didn't release an event was going on and wasn't ready for a fight.

Now that said, let's spin it. Make a copy of the home cities, remove some NPCs, add some objectives, supply camps, sentries and and release them as WvW maps for an event and good with that. Some of the home cities would be a blast as a battlefield with the various path ways thru town.

Envy the Madman his musing when Death comes to make fools of us all.
    De Mortuis Nil Nisi Bonum.
    TheGrimm PoTBS/GW1/WAR/Rift/GW2/MWO/ESO/WoT/WoW/D2/HoTS/Civ6/CU/AoC

• Knighthonor.4061Knighthonor.4061 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Yes.

If it's just NPCs the look like player characters, this could be fun.

• Zin Dau.1749Zin Dau.1749 Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 14, 2019
    No.

It could be interesting if a war broke out between the three Orders. The battle takes place in an instance of Fort Trinity. Only characters who are aligned to one of the Order can enter this instance. That means they must complete their personal story up to that point of choosing an Order (and be able to travel to Fort Trinity or the Straits where the Fort is located). When the war starts, mail is sent to each character from their respective Order.

Yes.

@Linken.6345 said:

PvP forums have been asking for 6 years now... Im not sure if I alone will help sway them.

06210311 251521 121512

• Pifil.5193Pifil.5193 Member ✭✭✭✭
    No.

@Linken.6345 said:

Ooh, how about, some monsters invade the pvp servers and both teams have to join together to defeat them?

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.