New player frustrated by the UI — Guild Wars 2 Forums

New player frustrated by the UI

Eraser.9860Eraser.9860 Member
edited August 12, 2019 in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

I am absolutely loving the game but I'm so frustrated with the inability to edit, disable parts of the UI. It's to distracting that it's close to ruining the game play for me. The huge XP numbers that pop up anytime you kill someone, the damage floaters and many other things just cloud of my screen. This is just my opinion and I get why they are there but come one, give us an option to edit and disable parts of the UI. I honestly would love to be able to play the game with "hide UI" enabled but with only health and a few other vital things available. Again this is just my preference and I respect everyone's opinion. Thanks!

Comments

• Offair.2563Offair.2563 Member ✭✭✭

Clusterkitten wars 2

Don't argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and own you with experience.
    Big Babou, Ranger for life.

• zealex.9410zealex.9410 Member ✭✭✭✭

Yeah one of my biggest gripes as well, its especially baffling when you go back to gw1 and you realise every bit of the ui there is costumisable. It makes you wonder if anet wanted to just make a pretty ui and they disregarded all the costumisation for the sake of said "pretty" ui.

Having played and seen gw1 and ff14 i can say with certainty that the ui in gw2 is inferior is almost every way.

Hopefully in their next game they will realise their fault in this instance and go for costumisation 1st then for looks (or allow addons to do that flor them).

• Khisanth.2948Khisanth.2948 Member ✭✭✭✭

@keenedge.9675 said:
    I have my UI set to small.
    You can relocate the current target bar and use simple floaters.

Simple floaters remove the icon but causes more text to appear since now it has one per stack.

• crepuscular.9047crepuscular.9047 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 13, 2019

i like to see big numbers, the satisfaction of turning my axe war into a meat grinder in a large group of mobs, with quickness on *shivers in joy*

[RIP Fashion Wars 2005-2018]     [TTS] [KA] [SI]     [RIP Fashion Wars 2005-2018]
    Praise the Inevitable Eternal Transcendent King Palawa Ignacious Joko, the Beloved and Feared Undying Eternal Monarch of All !!!
    ... til Aurene ate him for dessert 😭
  • Danikat.8537Danikat.8537 Member ✭✭✭✭

I agree that it would be nice to be able to customise the UI more, but I've also found that once I got used to it I almost stopped seeing the number spam. I just focus on the things which are relevant to me, like the targets health bar. (Setting the UI size to small might help too, although I've heard that with 4K monitors even the largest size is too small for some people, so you might need to experiment with it to see what works best for you.)

Danielle Aurorel - Desolation EU. Mini Collector.

"I know that I'm born and I know that I'll die, the in-between is mine."

• yann.1946yann.1946 Member ✭✭✭✭

@zealex.9410 said:
    Yeah one of my biggest gripes as well, its especially baffling when you go back to gw1 and you realise every bit of the ui there is costumisable. It makes you wonder if anet wanted to just make a pretty ui and they disregarded all the costumisation for the sake of said "pretty" ui.

Having played and seen gw1 and ff14 i can say with certainty that the ui in gw2 is inferior is almost every way.

Hopefully in their next game they will realise their fault in this instance and go for costumisation 1st then for looks (or allow addons to do that flor them).

One of the design goals of gw2 was to remove ui costumisation because they wanted people to play the game not the ui.

• Mewcifer.5198Mewcifer.5198 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Tashigi.3159 said:

@Eraser.9860 said:
    I am absolutely loving the game but I'm so frustrated with the inability to edit, disable parts of the UI. It's to distracting that it's close to ruining the game play for me. The huge XP numbers that pop up anytime you kill someone, the damage floaters and many other things just cloud of my screen. This is just my opinion and I get why they are there but come one, give us an option to edit and disable parts of the UI. I honestly would love to be able to play the game with "hide UI" enabled but with only health and a few other vital things available. Again this is just my preference and I respect everyone's opinion. Thanks!

What is your resolution? I suspect this is partly why you feel this way towards the UI.
    The game's UI gets better the higher the resolution you have. You can adjust many elements of it, like the chat and minimap and also select compact view for your party, etc.
    I play on 1440P and have 0 issues with UI, despite having multiple things going at once. IE below.

https://i.ibb.co/MCPsp37/image.png

As someone who recently got a new computer and monitor after playing on a laptop for years, I will say that resolution plays a bit part in how much space the UI takes up.

My list of suggestions for GW2
    Akkebi | Akkebyyon | Alister Kebi | Akkebi Revi | Akkebi Mememachine | Occultist Lulu | Shadow Stalker Lulu| Bonebreaker Lulu
    Max Masteries | 16.5k AP

edited August 13, 2019

@Tashigi.3159 said:

@Eraser.9860 said:

What is your resolution? I suspect this is partly why you feel this way towards the UI.
    The game's UI gets better the higher the resolution you have. You can adjust many elements of it, like the chat and minimap and also select compact view for your party, etc.
    I play on 1440P and have 0 issues with UI, despite having multiple things going at once. IE below.

https://i.ibb.co/MCPsp37/image.png

Ive noticed that the bigger resolution you have the harder the ui becomes to see, esp the skill bars become so tiny, idk if they have fixed that.

• yann.1946yann.1946 Member ✭✭✭✭

@zealex.9410 said:

@yann.1946 said:

@zealex.9410 said:

One of the design goals of gw2 was to remove ui costumisation because they wanted people to play the game not the ui.

Which is a stupid thing to begin with, if someone wants to play the game they can play the game, if someone wants to play the ui then play the game (because the default ui lessens their enjoyment) they should be able to do so. Its like saying they could remove character creation from the game and give a preset because they want ppl to play the game and not the chracter creator.

I do think it's an admirable goal. And it's quite impressive how one can see boons and conditions on characters.

@yann.1946 said:

@zealex.9410 said:

@yann.1946 said:

@zealex.9410 said:

Which is a stupid thing to begin with, if someone wants to play the game they can play the game, if someone wants to play the ui then play the game (because the default ui lessens their enjoyment) they should be able to do so. Its like saying they could remove character creation from the game and give a preset because they want ppl to play the game and not the chracter creator.

I do think it's an admirable goal. And it's quite impressive how one can see boons and conditions on characters.

Impressive? How so? Also im not against making a good ui so ppl dont feel like they need to tweak it, but why remove that option? Its literally there to not aggravate ppl with any issues your game ui might have for them.

• ProtoGunner.4953ProtoGunner.4953 Member ✭✭✭✭

The almost-non-customisable UI is something I always criticised. I asked for additional side bars for mounts, cizmos, food etc. since years. And they never ever wanted to change that. Why? I really don't understand it. Why not let us freely change the UI? Almost every other MMO does it and it has been asked for it since the beginning.

• zinkz.7045zinkz.7045 Member ✭✭✭

@zealex.9410 said:

Not sure it was simply for the sake of a "pretty" UI. I think part of it was the original idea of the game was PvE was casual fun and PvP was the serious bit, thus everything combat related was designed mostly around PvP, so given they were talking about "esports" before the game even launched, then it would seem likely part of going for a very standardized UI is that is precisely want you want for "esports".

• Ashantara.8731Ashantara.8731 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 13, 2019

@yann.1946 said:

That's a joke, right? How does customizing a game UI so that it distracts you less and provides you with more comfort while you are playing the game, so that you can focus better on the game, keep you from playing the game? :s Logic?

• Zuldari.3940Zuldari.3940 Member ✭✭✭

@kharmin.7683 said:
    There are times I'm glad for the damage number spam because it is the only way I can tell if I'm hitting the target underneath all of the visual effects.

Amen to that! Its a visual nightmare.

@keenedge.9675 said:
    I have my UI set to small.
    You can relocate the current target bar and use simple floaters.

It would be very nice to get rid of the upper right clutter. I rarely need that info, except sometimes for only the event I'm working on. Collapsing them helps, but I'd like to ignore them. Especially festivals (PvP,WvW,Pve) after I've tagged in at least once.

WAIT WHAT!!
    How do you move the target bar?

Coo! Quaggan Love's You! ♥♥♥

• @Ashantara.8731 said:

@yann.1946 said:

That's a joke, right? How does customizing a game UI so that it distracts you less and provides you with more comfort while you are playing the game, so that you can focus better on the game, keep you from playing the game? :s Logic?

Because 99% of the time players don't actually know what's good for them. A properly designed, standardized user interface allows the developers to make certain assumptions about every player's experience which they can design around, instead of trying to accomodate every single niche configuration that someone might have put their UI into. Apple is a pretty good case study on this, specifically the development of iPhone.

• Ashantara.8731Ashantara.8731 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 13, 2019

@nosleepdemon.1368 said:
    Because 99% of the time players don't actually know what's good for them. A properly designed, standardized user interface allows the developers to make certain assumptions about every player's experience which they can design around, instead of trying to accomodate every single niche configuration that someone might have put their UI into. Apple is a pretty good case study on this, specifically the development of iPhone.

Interesting. I don't know about you, but being able to at least place UI elements where you'd prefer them to be, as it was the case in GW1, is an absolute must-have in my eyes. How many times have I cursed in WvW that text would pop-up to announce an event update right where I am trying to place my ground target on the top of the wall, just to name one of many examples? Things are often "in the way" in a rigid interface. I believe that people know best what's "best for them" in many regards.

@nosleepdemon.1368 said:

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@yann.1946 said:

So its good for me to not be able to tailor my ui to look how i want it? Weid, the biggest mmos im familiar with all either have built in or support addons that allow you for deep costumisation. Giving one unchangeable preset for everyone instead of offering options and choices to everyone is just bad.

edited August 13, 2019

@zinkz.7045 said:

@zealex.9410 said:

Not sure it was simply for the sake of a "pretty" UI. I think part of it was the original idea of the game was PvE was casual fun and PvP was the serious bit, thus everything combat related was designed mostly around PvP, so given they were talking about "esports" before the game even launched, then it would seem likely part of going for a very standardized UI is that is precisely want you want for "esports".

Wow has an esports scene and they allow for the use of addons, hell pvpers in wow have 20 macro'd versions of their skills.

Besides since they are spectating they could have a tournament mdoe where it shows everything to the spectator in a nice and uniform way.

• @nosleepdemon.1368 said:

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@yann.1946 said:

Never heard of that case study myself but that sounds more like generic Apple trying to force people designs they think is good but generally isn't because they know their usual consumers will still buy them.

General UI customisation is a common thing in most online games, and even on general games that focus on single player. UI clutter tends to kill the visual experience especially for games that focus on their visual aspects so UI customisation is always considered when making a game.

• Stalkingwolf.6035Stalkingwolf.6035 Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 13, 2019

@nosleepdemon.1368 said:

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@yann.1946 said:

and why havent anet done this? and the UI is so bad?
    hey even the FF XIV on Console has way more and better options.

and you compare a smartphone ui with a MMO game interface? wth

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster

• nosleepdemon.1368nosleepdemon.1368 Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 13, 2019

@zealex.9410 said:

@nosleepdemon.1368 said:

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@yann.1946 said:

So its good for me to not be able to tailor my ui to look how i want it? Weid, the biggest mmos im familiar with all either have built in or support addons that allow you for deep costumisation. Giving one unchangeable preset for everyone instead of offering options and choices to everyone is just bad.

Yes that's what I'm saying. It seems counter intuitive and relies on the design of the UI actually being good. The Apple example is a great scenario - the iPhone demonstrated that a touch screen interface really was the right next step for hand held interaction. They dragged everyone else kicking and screaming into the modern UX era. With GW2, having a standardised interface with few allowable add ons keeps every player more or less in lock step. The developers can make mechanical changes to the game and UI without fear of breaking everybody's third party add ons.

@nosleepdemon.1368 said:

@zealex.9410 said:

@nosleepdemon.1368 said:

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@yann.1946 said:

Yes that's what I'm saying. It seems counter intuitive and relies on the design of the UI actually being good. The Apple example is a great scenario - the iPhone demonstrated that a touch screen interface really was the right next step for hand held interaction. They dragged everyone else kicking and screaming into the modern UX era.

But thats simply how you operate the phone thats not changimg and limiting costumisation of ui to make sure it works with touch (looking at current devices the costumisation is higher than what it was pre touch screen). Gw2's controls didnt make any similar leap to warrant costumisation downgrades.

With GW2, having a standardised interface with few allowable add ons keeps every player more or less in lock step. The developers can make mechanical changes to the game and UI without fear of breaking everybody's third party add ons.

So its basically lazyness on their part because they didnt want to have to programm the costumisation features in and they they dont really do changes to the ui to warrant the downgrade.

Also, its not like third party addons remain broken the addon authors considering the game is doing good continue to update the addon, the arc still gets updated from what i understand. And if they wanted to they could not even go the addon route and make the features inhouse.

The way i see it is like apple going and removing the headphone jack because they want everyone's phone to be more water proof without regarding how valueable of a feature it was and calling it innovation. Oh w8, that happened and it went exactly as you'd expect.

• I get why they have the damage numbers but I have always preferred by damage numbers in a chat window and not on screen (just my preference.) I just want to enjoy the game and make it as immersive as possible and I toggle back and fourth between UI off and UI on. It's just my preference when questing alone. I'm really happy with the game though. I just really wish he had a few more options with the UI, that's all.

P.S- Thanks for the tips about the higher resolution. I'm hoping to get a higher resolution monitor soon so I'll give it a shot. Thanks :)

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.